• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time REALLY the best game of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
OoT might be the best game of all time in terms of new ideas, mechanics, functions and experiences it brought, and how it essentially created a genre. I personally think even Skyward Sword is a better game (though I'm one of the 7 people who actually loved Skyward Sword) but it's hard to deny how incredible OoT was at the time it released.

I don't think any other game has been THAT much more ahead of the curve and of it's contemporaries as OoT was back in '98, so in that metric I think I can agree that it's the best game of all time.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I don't know why you would mention Egoraptors's "analysis" of OoT, it's an absolutely terrible video.

I would not say the BEST game of all time, but one of the best for me personally.
I consider Zelda a Link to the Past to be the best 2D Zelda game and Zelda Ocarina of Time to be the best 3D Zelda game (Gerudo village rules) just by the impact they had on me when I was playing those games. Sure others might have better gameplay or graphics, but the experience was not the same as with those 2. In the end it's the experience that matters.

From time to time I hook up my SNES or N64 to play these games. I even play them on my smartphone via emulators.

There is no such thing as the BEST game ever. Why? Because everybody has different taste. Some say FFIIV is the best, while I did not like that game. I could not get over the fact that the surroundings looked "realistic", but the characters cartoony. For me personally FFX was the best because it gave me the best FF experience.

If I had to choose a personal best than it would be MGS on the PSone.

How can it be the best if Majora's Mask is better?

OOT is an incredibly important game. It was groundbreaking when it came out. Maybe it's your favourite game. But best of all time? It's 18 years old and even if it set a lot of standards for 3D games it was still relatively early on in the evolution of 3d games. The z-targeting for instance defined a lot of 3d combat but relying on Navi to fly to a target first is awful today.

MomoQca

The answer should be obvious to each and every person. For some, Ocarina of Time may very well be their favorite game. And some others have different games as their best game of all time. My personal game of all time is Xenoblade Chronicles. Anyway, my point is that there is no such thing as a single best game of all time.

Shoutout to post #207

Garlador

For me, yes, Ocarina of Time is without question the best game ever made. The culmination of everything 3D gaming built towards with a giant world that wasn't just "big" but also engaging. It was the right size for me, without being too big or empty, but just large enough to feel like a grand adventure to make acquiring Epona really feel amazing after traversing on foot for so long. The puzzles and dungeons were brilliantly intuitive and were a masterclass of interactive, 3D puzzle design in an era where "push the box" was typically as complex as most games got (not that Zelda didn't have those too). It's graphics were at the time utterly gorgeous (still hold up), the music and melodies of the game fill every second with memorable tunes and soundbytes that really brought the adventure to life and made music integral to the gameplay, and the variety of weapons and items you could use in such inventive ways made the game a treasure trove of secrets and easter eggs that fans were still discovering over a decade later.

And the story and presentation itself is very "timeless". It will never become dated. It feels like the quintessential fairy tale adventure in many regards, and while it has moments of camp and goofiness, nothing feels out of place. All its parts are working together. There's no bloat, no excess baggage or overused tedium. Fetch-quests are mostly optional and still never drag on too long, the item trading sidequest is addicting and rewarding, poe hunting is amusing, HOURS of the game were lost to fishing, upgrading quivers and wallets through mini-games were perfect diversions, horse racing was challenging and fun, Gold Skulltula hunting was the ultimate bug hunt, mask trading was enjoyable, and that's still barely touching everything the game offered.

I don't think there's ever been a game as well balanced, well executed, and fully realized as Ocarina of Time, before or since.

Games may look better and play smoother these days, but Ocarina of Time still has this magic to it that I don't believe will ever falter with time. It's as fun to play now as it was the day I first got it.

It was my personal favorite game of all time until Xenoblade came along, and even then I still acknowledge Ocarina of Time is the better overall game.

Edit: ^I see I'm not alone. Lol.

Alright I'll just say it, Chrono Cross is the best game of all time.

Fight me hack me I don't even care

(I'm behind 7 proxies though, good luck)

Scrawnton

Alright I'll just say it, Chrono Cross is the best game of all time.

Fight me hack me I don't even care

(I'm behind 7 proxies though, good luck)

Depending on the day I'm having I'll say either Chrono Trigger or DQ8.

My opinion will never be taken seriously anyway because I think Killer7 is in the top 5 best games ever made list.

Haganeren

Why is the greatest game of all time an action/adventure game ?

Why not a fighting game ? They are inferior ?
Or a point & click game ? Or a FPS ? Or a W-RPG ?

A lot of people would say Tetris is the best game of all time... But it doesn't make sense anyway...

optimiss

Why is the greatest game of all time is an action/adventure game ?

Why not a fighting game ? They are inferior ?
Or a point & click game ? Or a FPS ? Or a W-RPG ?

A lot of people would say Tetris is the best game of all time...

My favorite Tetris piece is the "L" shaped one. Or maybe it is a "7"?

Nope, not to me. Then again, I'm not a fan of Zelda games unless it's Wind Waker. I also recently played Majora's Mask and that one was way better than OoT.

Lorcain

For whatever reason it took me a long time to get into it. I must have restarted 6 or 7 times before it clicked with me. I found that really paying attention and closely reading the npc dialogue helped a lot with understanding what to do and where to go.

GenG3000

I still think it's one of the best rounded Zeldas and more relevant as an experience than many, and I can provide at least 7 reasons to explain why.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
I don't think the jump from LTTP+OOT justifies the accolades the latter gets; look at GTA III+IV - 3 is hopelessly outshined technically, but is by far the better game.

Regginator

I don't know why you would mention Egoraptors's "analysis" of OoT, it's an absolutely terrible video.

"the worst thing about OOT transitioning to 3D is WAITING, you can't just keep attacking like ALTTP, everything feels slower".
not the exact quote but that was the core gist of it

Don't let him play Dark Souls

War Eagle

It will always be the GOAT to me, but I think that's because of circumstances I got to play it during. I was in middle school, the game had just released, SNES and 2D games were still only a couple years back, and it was my first taste of a real open world. I will never forget that feeling of stepping out into Hyrule field and being overwhelmed because I could go wherever I wanted. Back at the time, it was nothing short of magical and no other game has ever repeated that feeling/experience with me.

Lylo

It is. The closest to timeless perfection a game has gotten until this day. I personally like Majora's Mask more but OOT is the better game.

This is guy gets it, OOT is soooo close to perfection. I think the 3DS remake/remaster/whatever may have fixed all the (few) issues the game had. It's my go to game when i'm not sure what to play, i think i have finished the game around 7 times this year.

antitrop

Agreed

I wouldn't say any Zelda game is best of all time, but if I did it would be the original LoZ or LttP.
Also special shoutout to LA. My gameboy went everywhere with me when I was a kid and LA was usually with it. At least before Pokémon R/B came out.

Jockel

While the game was incredible at the time of release it does show it's age by now. The emptiness of Hyrule field and the low frame rate of the N64 version are the biggest issues for me. The dungeon layouts are okay- not bad, not excellent. Design wise, A Link to the Past remains my favorite Zelda title.
However, even with these faults it's still a good game that's even better when played on 3DS.

Boney

Banned
It's as big of an achievement as Super Mario Bros was in 1985. Managing to incorporate groundbreaking design with never before seen polish to create a landmark adventure game. Was pushing 3d technology with a great compromise between visuals and performance. Present sound design that incorporated itself with the game, an epic adventure which filled people with wonder at the possibilities and secrets. And of course, sublime level design.

Just as I don't think SMB1 is the best Mario game, I could make the argument for it being the best game of all time, something I couldn't do with any other Mario game (except 3 maybe). Trying to separate context by waving it off as nostalgia is short sighted and ineffectual. Almost everything it introduced, it did it perfectly.

Yeah Killer7 is in my top 7 games of all time and I take my opinion very seriously.
Well it's a perfect hybrid between adventure games and survival horror (which itself is an evolution of adventure games). Sprinkled with a dash of anti- consumerism punk design. What's not to love?

collige

Banned
It was absolutely the best game of all time when it was released. The only real contender was MGS.

Nowadays though, it's been surpassed, both by other series and other Zelda games.

Kill3r7

I am not sure that it is the best Zelda game (for me it is a toss up between LTTP, MM and OoT) let alone GOAT but it is undeniably a timeless classic.

Majora's Mask is my personal favorite but I can easily see that OoT is the better game overall. I would say that for its time and how well it has held up yes it is the best example to use for greatest game ever. For one genre matters for this, I feel action adventure is the best genre so naturally an action adventure game will be my favorite. No series balances the action, exploration and puzzle solving like Zelda does.

OoT is so much better designed than games of today. I dare you to name 7 games with better level design. What games have dungeons as interesting as Zelda games? With OoT it was the perfect marriage of cuttting edge graphics, ground breaking gameplay mechanics and timeless design. Plus it's a huge game with so much to do. It is the perfect storm of a game.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
By this point no-one is reading the OP, let alone closely.
It's a poorly written post on a game that's been talked about thousands of times before, I don't know why people should be expected to read it all the way through.

Jockel

It's a poorly written post on a game that's been talked about thousands of times before, I don't know why people should be expected to read it all the way through.
Sure, it's not the most modern game by today's standards. By now, action adventurse ventured to far greater heigths, even eclipsing OOT sevenfold.
Still, even if we had this thread like 59275 times, it remains, even today, a valid opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom