• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time REALLY the best game of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Framerate is awful. Sad.

Awful? Nah 20 fps isn't great, but at the time it was really good especially with the open world nature.

That said, it does make the game feel slow, especially in OoT3D. It's higher frame rate in that game is held back slightly by the slower animations to match the original game and it feels sluggish because of it.

The best example is the lizalfos fights, they are intentionally slow in the original to make up for reduced reaction time from lower frame rates. In 3D, these slow animations just look wonky and hurt the action sequences.

Never been a fan of 3D Zelda games, the amount of idiosyncrasies in them along with gameplay I've never found to be more than competent at best has never been for me. Ocarina particularly bored me; it had stretches that were either boring (Hyrule Field) or terrible (Gerudo) and as a puzzle game it is thoroughly lacking. I wouldn't classify any of its dungeons as good, while some were pretty bad in their pacing and puzzle design.

The best parts were Kokiri Forest and the ruined Hyrule for me. Otherwise I have never thought the game was anywhere near good, let alone even fair. Mediocre really, though not necessarily grating like how Wind Waker got.

That being said, despite a lot of the same gameplay flaws, I'd say Majora's Mask is a good game on a good day, and a fair one at worst. Termina is too compelling for me that way.

Yarbskoo

You seem to be suffering from the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.

I think you mean Cause and Effect.
hMbN81J.gif

Revas

I'm one of those people who think OoT is head and shoulders above it's peers. There's lots of great games though.

Galang

Banned
I mean I don't agree, but I have no problem with games like Ocarina or Chrono Trigger being regarded as such. FF7 on the other hand I will never understand. I wouldn't put it in a top 100 list or even among the top 10 FF games.

I would say it's not even as good as ALttP. That game is structure so perfect. Majoras is the best but I love WW the most.

Best game of all time? For Nintendo that goes to Galaxy for me.

spliced

It's a great game and deserves to be in the conversation. The graphics were mindblowing and it's mechanics were never significantly improved upon until the 7th gen with the Souls games.

Nottle

The legend of 7elda Ocarina of Time is probably one of the best games ever. Maybe the best. Egoraptors video is not very good concerning the issue.

What specifically do you all feel makes link to the past better? Replaying Link to the Past I found parts of that game annoying.

Kneefoil

Eh... I think that a lot of people rate it so highly just because they are so nostalgic about it, since it was the first 3D Zelda, and was very impressive at the time. It's still a very good game, but a lot of games, including other Zelda games, have surpassed it in a lot of ways. I listed my top 10 favourite Zeldas not too long ago, and I placed it 6th. That being said, I've barely played Zelda II, so I didn't take that game into account when listing the top 10, so it might not be entirely accurate. However, I can confidently say that it's in the top 7.

Rezae

OOT I've always thought was the general gamer consensus for best of all-time. I thought it was great, but have always preferred LTTP more. I see FFVII mentioned a lot, and it was probably my most hyped game of all-time, but I personally find it incredibly overrated and about the 4th or 5th best FF.

There really is no best game of all-time, but if there was, we all know it's Tetris.

Firemind

It's true, though. In my opinion.

It's not unreasonable to think the following games are better:
Majoras Mask
Wind Waker
A Link to the Past
A Link Between Worlds
Minish Cap
As long as it's not Twilight Princess. People who think it's better than Ocarina of Time are either trolling or have no idea what they're talking about.

Scrawnton

These people can't even fathom why Final Fantasy 7 is way more relevant than OoT.
Great thread.

I always thought Final Fantasy 7 was the best role playing game ever made, until I played FF6 and Chrono Trigger and realized just how much better FF7 should've been after coming off those two games.

LordRaptor

These people can't even fathom why Final Fantasy 7 is way more relevant than OoT.
Great thread.

OoT directly leads to;
- Ico
- Soulsbornes
- Fables
- Assassins Creeds
- Legacy of Kains
- Darksiders
- Batman Arkham games

FF7 directly leads to:
- FF8

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Hard to say what the GOAT game is when crossing genres to be fair. Can I say that OOT is a better game then say Mario Galaxy or even Super Metroid? Doesn't seem right. /disclaimer

However if I had to pick, then yes Ocarina of Time is the best game I have ever played.

OoT directly leads to;
- Ico
- Soulsbornes
- Fables
- Assassins Creeds
- Legacy of Kains
- Darksiders

I wouldn't say Assassins Creed, that's directly from Sands of Time, which is from the original POP.

FF7 directly leads to:
- FF8

Which is sad as it took the worst aspect, the lame story, rather then the best aspect, the materia system. Draw system was interesting but ultimately nowhere near as good.

Zero²

Well I think I had about 7yo when I first played it with my bro, pretty nostalgic...
You guys are funny Tho, keep the list war going!

LordRaptor

I wouldn't say Assassins Creed, that's directly from Sands of Time, which is from the original POP.

POP leads directly to things like Flashback, Out Of This World, and more recently things like Limbo or Inside.
Sands Of Time has a lot of its "DNA" from OoT, spliced with a dose of Tomb Raider

FaintDeftone

To me it is the best game ever made. Ocarina of Time was the first game to completely immerse me into it's world and included many elements that actually made me feel things emotionally.

The first time leaving Kokiri forest and Saria, the death of the Great Deku Tree, Darunia's Sage speech, the ending where the sages are watching down on everyone celebrating in Kakariko Village, the bleakness of the final boss battle; all of that made me feel things for the first time in a video game.

The game had a HUGE impact on me and even to this day I can revisit it and get those same feelings over again. No game does that for me. The only game that has come close was Dark Souls and Final Fantasy VII.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
It's not. It's really not.

I've tried and tried to get into Zelda games and I just can't. I put about 7 or 8 hours into Ocarina of Time on Wii VC, determined to understand what all the fuss was about, and had to stop playing out of boredom and just wanting to play something else.

It's not terrible, it just didn't grab me. So, it's not bad, but it's definitely not the best game of all time.

It's not my favorite game of all time but I have to echo how utterly stunning this game was when it came out.

By today's standards surely it's not the case, but it seemed to be insanely huge, open and limitless when I first go it. My imagination went totally wild and the game never disappointed somehow.

What's the best way to play it these days by the way? I haven't re-played it in probably 10+ years sadly.

EDIT: To put my number 1 out there, it would be playing through Dark Souls for the first time. I mean I've been playing videogames since the late 80s and no game before or after felt like that to me, I still can't get over how insanely 'real' and exciting that game was. The lack of warping was absolutely mind blowing to me, that you really have to live with any and all your choices and that the way back is just as brutal as the way in.

It's not my favorite game of all time but I have to echo how utterly stunning this game was when it came out.

By today's standards surely it's not the case, but it seemed to be insanely huge, open and limitless when I first go it. My imagination went totally wild and the game never disappointed somehow.

What's the best way to play it these days by the way? I haven't re-played it in probably 10+ years sadly.
3DS for now, PC emulation if you're willing to wait.

Although the actual best way to play Ocarina of Time
is not to play it at all.

I probably have like, oh seven games, at the top of my personal list of contenders for the best game ever. It's hard for me to place any of them above each other, and personally I think OoT might be it for me if I was forced to mention only one.

I think it is the best game ever made, but it's not my favorite one. It has always been a part of my top 7 though.
It has also aged well and I disagree that Hyrule Fields is too vast and empty. I mean, it takes only a couple of minutes to cross and has quite an amount of stuff to discover. TP is what I consider dull and bland, OoT is fine. I also think that there has not been another action adventure of its kind that has topped it and I'd rather pick it up than anything else in the genre released recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom