• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

I guess everyone on earth has been over this but I really think I prefer the original look. The flat shading works better for this art style.

Tookay

Unlikely as most of WW's music is dynamic, changing synths and instruments depending on what you're doing. That effect is near impossible to replicate with a live recording, which is why Nintendo likes synth so much.

They've figured out ways around it, if SS and SMG are any indication.

But they're not going to do it for financial reasons probably.

The graphics actually look unchanged aside from the lighting and shadowing, textures look the same, the polygon counts look the same (even the characters).

Violet_0

Banned
According to whom?

I think it's far more popular than you think.

well, that's pretty much the general opinion on most gaming boards. Quite a few people don't like WW because of the sailing/empty islands/triforce fetch quest/cut dungeons/easy difficulty, but it's a favorite of many. TTP is pretty much the most hated 3D Zelda game (unjustly so, SS is worse in many ways)

Played with the best screenshot a bit for fun. Changed the colors a bit and added a DoF to make it pop.

wind-waker-hd-1.png

I wish I had a nice quality version, it would make a nice wallpaper.

Wasn't really interested in getting a Wii U, but...this.

THIS.

I wish I could go back and experience Wind Waker for the very first time all over again. So amazing.

Played with the best screenshot a bit for fun. Changed the colors a bit and added a DoF to make it pop.

wind-waker-hd-1.png

I wish I had a nice quality version, it would make a nice wallpaper.

Wow. They almost look like clay models, haha.

CorvoSol

Maybe its just me, but the graphics in the OP still look fine to me. It's almost as if Zelda news cannot come out without SOME complaint being thrown out.

Looks a bit overworked, but if they just crank down some of the effects and fix the color saturation it'll be fine. And I have to say, in spite of liking WW's visual style Link and Tetra's character models always looked like poop, flat shading or not. I do thing they should aim for something closer to cel shading on the characters though. It would be great with a better textured more watercolor-like environments.

Oh, and for the love of God Nintendo, work in the mising content, nix the fetch quest, and make navigating the boat quicker and more controllable (a mid/late game upgrade to change wind real time would work wonders). WW has awful pacing imo. If they can balance it out with the right content instead of jerking players around with glaringly obvious filler or building up to big nonexistent events the game will be much, much better for having done it. Considering how candid Aonuma has been about WW's rushed dev cycle and resulting flaws in past interviews I pray they're actually adressing those issues.

I wonder if we'll see a bonus disc version, contaning some old Zelda games. Like they did with the original WW release, which came with OOT: Master Quest.

Jak140

Whoever is remaking this clearly has little concept of what made the original so visually stunning. I'd rather play the low res original than this HD hatchet job.

DjRoomba

Banned
I love how Nintendo actually gave you Wind Waker HD, which Ive seen been requested and lamented over on Gaf for a while, and you guys are still complaining about. As Reggie says, you people really are insatiable.
I love it lol

EulaCapra

Oh gawd... The buildings look nice and I like the color saturation, but where did the "Cel" in Celda go??? That's where the "timeless" part of the whole thing lies!

I don't get the complaints.

When developers just up-res HD ports people complain.

When Nintendo touches up the graphics so it's not just an up-res people complain.

thisisneogaf.jpg

Revven

New version looks much better to me in that comparison. It's not that same overly bright eye-popping color, but the overall image is much richer IMO.

This is how I feel. Though the bloom and overall lighting could be turned down some (which they will likely do) and still look really good.

Honestly, maybe if enough people clamor for it Nintendo will include the option to play with the original version's visuals just upscaled + the gameplay changes they add to the new release.

Either way though, I think I'm going to be happy with the end result tbh.

I'm just curious if they'll fix any of the glitches the speedrunning community has found over the last year and a half lololol.

Fantasmo

Not surprised that this would happen. Looks like Nintendo is feeling the HD pressure like the rest of the console world did last generation.

Luckily a good amount of their games are easily HD remake quality and their great SD stuff goes 2 gens back, MORE than a decade and still looks solid, so current gen kids can play 5-10 years worth of stuff for the first time, and in HD to boot. Chalk up another benefit to sticking with a similar platform for so long.

Nintendo's old high quality efforts paying back in spades yet again.

ok this is getting retarded, the screenshots look nothing like this.

And more than bloom, I see a lot of fog, which is an odd choice but it does fit the ocean theme, if anyone cared to actually pay attention, the screenshots with characters have no fog at all and the bloom is minimal.

THIS

Honestly, I'm not sure if these shots are 'real' shots of the game anymore than the Ocarina of Time shots were representative of OoT3D when they were shown at E3 2010.

ZaCH3000

I will buy a Wii U for Wind Waker HD if Nintendo includes the additional two dungeons that were abandoned in the original (and drops the price). WW is easily in my top 3 favorite Zelda games.

FyreWulff

I wonder if Wiimote+chuk will be an available option. Playing the songs with the baton and the Wiimote sounds like a no-brainer.

Also for Tingle mode. Link is Mote+chuk, Tingler tuner 2nd player is Gamepad

Revven

I'm honestly even more curious if Nintendo will have the option for the Pro Controller. They've seemingly neglected it for NSMBU, for example, so what are the chances they'll do the same here? =\

The first time I saw The Wind Waker for the GameCube was in a magazine (I think it was a UK mag called Cube or something). It looked glorious (dat grass). Jumping on over to my local forum, I was met with outcry of the game looking like crap, and therefore Nintendo were shit. Long after the game was released, the same people complained that they would never get another Zelda that looked like that again, and therefore Nintendo were shit.

Good to see that although the forum and time has changed, things stay the same...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom