• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is fantastic news. I really dig how everyone looks like plastic or clay-like. It has a fresh crispness to it. Glad they went this route as opposed to just making it higher res. A remake like this would make me want to replay the game for sure.

Madouu

maybe this game was really just made out of tests they were running on SMS but abandoned. they are really making a Zelda game using a process similar to what we seen in the tech demo. seems more likely than them playing around with these weirdo filters that don't fit a Zelda game at all.

How doesn't it fit a Zelda game exactly? Or maybe you meant to say it doesn't fit your conception of what a Zelda game should be graphically which is fine.

For me, I find those screenshots to be completely amazing. I like the bit of change introduced, especially since I've already played the game on Dolphin.

If they add more content then this will be simply perfect, and my girlfriend will at last get to see the awesomeness of Wind Waker.

tkscz

I do have to say I hope they will go back to cel-shaded. Right now it's obviously in alpa stages, but it looks like something someone did in Gary's Mod. Honestly, if Nintendo themselves didn't show this, that's what I'd have thought.

hiryu64

I do have to say I hope they will go back to cel-shaded. Right now it's obviously in alpa stages, but it looks like something someone did in Gary's Mod. Honestly, if Nintendo themselves didn't show this, that's what I'd have thought.

That's my thought. It looks too...fan-rendery. Where's that nice warm cel-shading the original had? The Dolphin screens look so much nicer than this.

Darryl

Banned
How doesn't it fit a Zelda game exactly? Or maybe you meant to say it doesn't fit your conception of what a Zelda game should be graphically which is fine.

For me, I find those screenshots to be completely amazing. I like the bit of change introduced, especially since I've already played the game on Dolphin.

If they add more content then this will be simply perfect, and my girlfriend will at last get to see the awesomeness of Wind Waker.

it looks gorgeous. it just looks like an art style that a different division would come up with - how they got here from where they were, i just don't know. i see Nintendo as being a very consistent and interconnected company - the divisions have a good idea what other divisions are doing. it makes sense that something like this could've came up while brainstorming a kirby or mario game and wasn't put to use - so they put it to use elsewhere before someone else could grab it up.

leroidys

As someone who has spent half my life in classical music, I don't really care about orchestrated soundtracks. They can sound better for grand compositions, but I like the videogame-y charm of having digital instruments. I don't think that Zelda music in most cases benefits all that much from being played with live instruments. Do people want some lame epic film score for a zelda game? I don't get it.

Caporale

Banned
I really can't get excited about this. At the end of the day, it's just a texture pack for a pretty old game. I already beat Wind Waker.

Nintendo needs to release some completely new AAA titles. I want more than nostalgia.

I really can't get excited about this. At the end of the day, it's just a texture pack for a pretty old game. I already beat Wind Waker.

Nintendo needs to release some completely new AAA titles. I want more than nostalgia.

In that case you have;

"X"
Yarn Yoshi
New 3D Mario
Pikmin 3
Bayonetta 2
The Wonderful 101

Davey Cakes

Think about it this way: Nintendo is releasing this game for more than just the people who already played it.

Iwata said himself that Nintendo wants the game to reach new audiences since the Gamecube had a small install base.

Mit-

Took filters used to make this:
tKFsBn7.jpg
(My closest attempt at emulating WWHD's disgusting bloom and other effects)

and applied them to this:

Ugh. How is this style in any way representative of the incredible art direction in the first game.

Duffyside

Banned
This would be more representative of the current product

b5R5Dds.jpg

Hopefully not the final product

Well done, good sir.

If it was 1080p WW. This thread would be full of "lol Nintendo I can do this on dolphin not buying lolz."

Not if they were adding more dungeons, fixing the fetch quest, adding Miiverse support, etc. Also, not every Nintendo fan uses Dolphin. Not even close.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Caporale

Banned
In that case you have;

"X"
Yarn Yoshi
New 3D Mario
Pikmin 3
Bayonetta 2
The Wonderful 101

I hope they're all good. I'm really not expecting much from Yarn Yoshi, though. The problem with the Yoshi games is that Yoshi's Island set the bar so ridiculously high, it's tough to make a sequel that feels like an across-the-board improvement.

Well done, good sir.

Not if they were adding more dungeons, fixing the fetch quest, adding Miiverse support, etc. Also, not every Nintendo fan uses Dolphin. Not even close.

You couldn't be more wrong.
Im not talking about Nintendo fans. Trolls would be on it 1st, 2nd, 3rd, shift overtime, doubles!

Caporale

Banned
Not if they were adding more dungeons, fixing the fetch quest, adding Miiverse support, etc.

If Nintendo's hellbent on HD remakes, they might as well do the first Metroid Prime. Metroid Prime is nearly perfect, but the shard hunt at the end of that game was just about as annoying as the one in Wind Waker. As Dolphin's shown us, Metroid Prime cleans up really well, too. It looks fantastic at high resolutions.

This is way off topic but earlier in the post water was mentioned. It made me think of Waverace 64. For its day.... That was the best looking water ever. The waves and splashing...

Instro

I'm not too worried about the weirdness in the lighting. It's a new lighting engine being applied to an old game. While that is rather admirable for an HD up-port, its probably going to take a bit of work to balance it all out. I assume that's why we are only seeing screens rather than a video.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

and applied them to this:

Ugh. How is this style in any way representative of the incredible art direction in the first game.

Err, lava might actually be the one place bloom is acceptable...

Mit-

Err, lava might actually be the one place bloom is acceptable...

Not nearly to the degree as what we've seen. I actually had to tone down the filters a bit so it was even viewable.

I feel like much more was accomplished with their lighting decisions in the original. There was typically a bottom-lit orange reflection on everything and typical heat distortion. They made similar lighting decisions throughout the game. Stuff casted solid shadows and reflected off things in solid sheets. None of that oversaturated blinding glow. Bleh. Not something you typically see in an animated picture. Especially not traditional animation.

Piss filter was a nonsense OoT 3D complaint.

I haven't played that, but could people have been talking about the intro vid? I remember seeing them side by side and the colors overall were yellowed in the 3DS version while the colors in the 64 one looked like an actual early morning

Looks amazing.I lost my gc copy way before I could beat it.I will need to buy a wiiu now. Also I actually really like the saturation and hope they keep it. It fits the toon look nicely.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Not nearly to the degree as what we've seen. I actually had to tone down the filters a bit so it was even viewable.

Well, they haven't officially shown the lava levels, so... I think you're jumping the gun.

I really don't like the screens they released but I also don't believe they'll represent the final game, nor even necessarily the game as it is right now. Considering they only released some barren screenshots I'm led to believe Aonuma when he said they're from the period when they were dicking around with artstyles for the new Zelda.

Again, the current shots are ugly, but I don't think the final game will look like them. I expect bloom, but a more reduced version. As you said, the current levels make it hard to see things and thus hard to play. I doubt that's a trade off Nintendo would make.

I haven't played that, but could people have been talking about the intro vid? I remember seeing them side by side and the colors overall were yellowed in the 3DS version while the colors in the 64 one looked like an actual early morning

That's basically it, yes.

DaBoss

Come on man, the HD version looks nothing like that, it doesn't have bloom everywhere. Not sure what you mean by other effects.

Tan

The controversy over the artstyle of Windwaker HD remind me of the controversy over the artstyle of Windwaker...weird.
I don't like it D:

Ydahs

As mentioned, the original textures just don't work with the new style, nor does the low polygonal count of the environments. Everything is too flat. It at least needs some normal mapping thrown in.

If they really want to change the art style, they're going to need to modify the textures to match the more realistic lighting model. I'm happy for an aesthetic change, just as long as Nintendo dedicates the resources into making it look right.

We need footage damn it!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Up til now I just thought that this was an isolated instance of suck:

7ypyL7s.jpg

Too bad to see that it was indeed nintendo's direction for new gen toon link.

Yeah cause having him look exactly like he did in WW would have been a goo idea .. oh no wait, that would have been fucking stupid. They took out his cel shading so that he looked like he belonged in the dame game as the rest of the cast, thats art direction 101.

It also looks nothing like he does in WWHD

Nintendo will make the game look better, they always do Its rare that they would even show something so early. Also, it may not look as good, but it does look different and many of us thought that the WW art direction was only gonna show up again on portable systems, so this is really great to see. They will learn a lot out of this test and apply it to the next main Zelda game, its a great idea.

BD1

Banned
For those asking about adding the cut dungeons into the game...

Isn't it safe to assume you have? The way Nintendo operates, I'd guess they found their way into one of the four Zelda games that has been released since.

Mariolee

Someone's probably already mentioned this, but what are the odds that Nintendo implement a system similar to Halo Anniversary where we can switch between the remade graphics and upscaled Dolphin-esque Gamecube graphics?

As mentioned, the original textures just don't work with the new style, nor does the low polygonal count of the environments. Everything is too flat. It at least needs some normal mapping thrown in.

If they really want to change the art style, they're going to need to modify the textures to match the more realistic lighting model. I'm happy for an aesthetic change, just as long as Nintendo dedicates the resources into making it look right.

We need footage damn it!

I assume those pics are very early test renders from a previous internal demonstration that Nintendo threw together last minute for an emergency Nintendo Direct.

Why is it an emergency? Because Nintendo financials release like a week from now and investors are going to be pissed at the missed Wii U sales targets. That's why the SUPER ULTRA MEGA AWESOME ND was necessary.

I also assume that the final version will look a good bit better than what we've already seen.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Someone's probably already mentioned this, but what are the odds that Nintendo implement a system similar to Halo Anniversary where we can switch between the remade graphics and upscaled Dolphin-esque Gamecube graphics?

Zero

RagnarokX

Yeah cause having him look exactly like he did in WW would have been a goo idea .. oh no wait, that would have been fucking stupid. They took out his cel shading so that he looked like he belonged in the dame game as the rest of the cast, thats art direction 101.
And Mr. Game & Watch?

Mariolee

Why? I don't know how hard it would be to implement, but it's obviously not impossible seeing as how Halo Anniversary did it.

In fact, this is almost in the same situation as Halo Anniversay. Game released 10 years ago getting an HD remake while that same team works on the next actual mainline game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom