• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

The more I look at these screens the more I think of Banjo and Kazooie Nuts and Bolts

I was getting the same vibe.

Except Nuts and Bolts didn't have so much damn bloom.

Why? I don't know how hard it would be to implement, but it's obviously not impossible seeing as how Halo Anniversary did it.

In fact, this is almost in the same situation as Halo Anniversay. Game released 10 years ago getting an HD remake while that same team works on the next actual mainline game.

Nintendo.

Why? I don't know how hard it would be to implement, but it's obviously not impossible seeing as how Halo Anniversary did it.

In fact, this is almost in the same situation as Halo Anniversay. Game released 10 years ago getting an HD remake while that same team works on the next actual mainline game.

The only thing that's even remotely close to Nintendo doing this...is when Game Freak let you switch between the new versions of in-game music and the old, retro tunes.

It's just too much extra hassle for Nintendo. Why have staff wasting time on that when they could be working on another Nintendo project?

Basically, Nintendo's internal development philosophies completely forbid something like that from happening.

Mariolee

Nintendo.

I dunno man, how many of us thought Nintendo would actually make a Wind Wake HD Remake in the first place? I don't know what to believe anymore.

The only thing that's even remotely close to Nintendo doing this...is when Game Freak let you switch between the new versions of in-game music and the old, retro tunes.

It's just too much extra hassle for Nintendo. Why have staff wasting time on that when they could be working on another Nintendo project?

Basically, Nintendo's internal development philosophies completely forbid something like that from happening.

Why regard something as "an extra hassle" when it could be designated as "an amazing feature"?

And Mr. Game & Watch?

Mr. Game & Watch would have been impossible to present in any other way without totally changing the joke behind him.

Melee did the same thing with unifying characters behind one style. Go look at the trophies, and the first character trophy will usually be a more cartoony or stylized appearance truer to the original series's depiction of that character, while the Melee gameplay tip trophies looked more realistic.

DjRoomba

Banned
They specifically said this was from a test of experimenting of the kinds of graphics they could go with for Zelda Wii U, its not necessarily how the remake will end up looking exactly. But I think it looks great anyway, and i think y'all are bunch of fuckin complainers

Nintendo finally gave you that HD WindWaker yall have been whining for, now youre all whining its not good enough!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player

Its no in their nature to give people options that break immersion

As mentioned, the original textures just don't work with the new style, nor does the low polygonal count of the environments. Everything is too flat. It at least needs some normal mapping thrown in.

If they really want to change the art style, they're going to need to modify the textures to match the more realistic lighting model. I'm happy for an aesthetic change, just as long as Nintendo dedicates the resources into making it look right.

We need footage damn it!

I absolutely agree. The flat geometry worked just fine with the flat colors, but this does not.

Also, I made some changes to the water.
wind-waker-hd-3.png

See, clearer water would look a lot better in this style.

So how much did Nintendo pay Sega for the Hedgehog Engine? I've never been this torn over a remake before... On one hand, one of greatest Gamecube games is being remade in HD with a big budget behind it. On the other, the lack of Cel-shading just makes everything look off.

I loved how Sonic Unleashed and Banjo: N&B looked last gen, and they're arguably some of the best looking games of their time, but something about their style with the soft shadows doesn't work here.

Medalion

Banned
*this is neogaf.gif*

The oversaturated bloom look in HD, with the obvious polygon lineage from the Gamecube era is a tad uneven... they could throw in a few more porygons to round it out a bit better...but I guess for a first HD remake for Wii-U, it ain't bad

What are the chances of them adding a hard mode? It would be great if they removed the grid on the ocean map. Sailing and discovering were great parts of the game but knowing there was something on each grid took some of the fun away from that.

guek

Banned
Took filters used to make this:

(My closest attempt at emulating WWHD's disgusting bloom and other effects)

and applied them to this:

Ugh. How is this style in any way representative of the incredible art direction in the first game.

I think you're overdoing it just a smidgeon ;-)

We really have to see it in motion before judging it. The thing about screenshots from HD games in particular is that they tend to look gorgeous as still shots but very often different in motion. Usually less impressive, if anything. You don't really have as much opportunity to soak of those nice little details in motion and it all blurs together.
But sometimes it looks better. If any game can pull that off, it'll be Wind Waker.

Also, I hope the redo the soundtrack with a full orchestra. That alone would make this remake worth the money.

Gartooth

I'm going to assume those images released today were just early concepts of Windfall Island due to the team trying out the hardware, and aren't indicative of what the full release will look like.

Also even though I am happy that the game is getting re-released, I'm a bit worried that this will be put out too quickly. (basically I had hoped that they would keep it in development longer in order to finish those last two dungeons that got cut from the original release)

apana

So since this is an hd remake/remaster it will be 1080p and 60 fps right? I think most Zelda games are locked at 30 fps.

I'm going to assume those images released today were just early concepts of Windfall Island due to the team trying out the hardware, and aren't indicative of what the full release will look like.

Also even though I am happy that the game is getting re-released, I'm a bit worried that this will be put out too quickly. (basically I had hoped that they would keep it in development longer in order to finish those last two dungeons that got cut from the original release)

Those were put into other games.

If they add anything to the game, I hope it's fishing. It just makes so much sense.

That alone would add all the replay value I would ever need. The whole ocean would suddenly feel alive.

They would have to change Ganondorf's line about the oceans yielding no fish to catch.

Well shit, what do they eat out there then? I don't even remember that line, where is it at?

Either way, that line was probably put in there because they figured people would question why there was no fishing. Now that there is time to put in fishing, they don't need it anymore. :p

Zee-Row

Banned
They need to get rid of the Triforce fetch Quest and add extra dungeons. The HD coat of paint just isn't good enough for me.

Pachinko

*watches awesome new nintendo direct
*favorite zelda game getting an HD port up to wii U, which is something I wanted
*goes to neogaf
*and... no one is happy once again

Seriously you guys fucking suck. Is there anything out there that would make this forum happy ? Like ever? I'm being dead serious here because it seems like all anyone ever does on neogaf anymore is piss and bitch and moan and complain about EVERYTHING. It didn't used to be this bad either, did everyone turn into pessimists while I wasn't looking ?

Doesn't seem to matter how excited I or the handful of positive gamers left here get about anything , someone finds the most insipidly retarded ways to knock ya back down again. "nope, sorry dude, everything fucking sucks just deal with it".

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
*favorite zelda game getting an HD port up to wii U, which is something I wanted
*goes to neogaf

Seriously you guys fucking suck. Is there anything out there that would make this forum happy ? Like ever? I'm being dead serious here because it seems like all anyone ever does on neogaf anymore is piss and bitch and moan and complain about EVERYTHING. It didn't used to be this bad either, did everyone turn into pessimists while I wasn't looking ?

Doesn't seem to matter how excited I or the handful of positive gamers left here get about anything , someone finds the most insipidly retarded ways to knock ya back down again. "nope, sorry dude, everything fucking sucks just deal with it".
WW is one of my fave Zelda games. The enviros look great, but the characters are very meh. Nothing wrong with voicing an opinion you may not hold.

Looking at the comparison shots kinda make me prefer the GC art style too.

Gartooth

So since this is an hd remake/remaster it will be 1080p and 60 fps right? I think most Zelda games are locked at 30 fps.

Those were put into other games.

Really!? Never knew that those dungeons were put into (presumably) Twilight Princess. (that ice dungeon was one of my favorites in the game too!)

rockx4

*goes to neogaf

Game looks good imo, I'd definitely buy it day 1. Some people have surgically implanted retro goggles, any changes to a game makes it look like shit.

HYDE

Banned
*goes to neogaf

I am so glad that you posted this...it is too true. I have been anxiously looking for an uplifting site since this place has made me start disliking the hobby and making it feel like a boring chore. Games are awesome...quit complaining and be happy we at least have games to play.

LeleSocho

Banned
It really pisses me off that doesn't look like a cartoon anymore... it really destroys all the charm of the game... i think people feared this when they first complained about the style of WW 10+ years ago.

Nintendo i can't see the freaking hairbrows through the hair, fix this shit ASAP
The only time a company had to make little to no effort when changing the graphics of an HD remake they fuck up by completely changing the style.

Looks a lot less cartoony and loses some charm from the GCN game...but it still looks good, especially the environments. Wii U purchase redeemed.

The Lamp

They took out his cel shading so that he looked like he belonged in the dame game as the rest of the cast, thats art direction 101.

Is this a joke?

Because Game & Watch was totally turned into a 3D model to "fit the art direction" right?

*goes to neogaf

I would have been happy if they decided to make an HD update by leaving the art style alone.

I just remembered how ugly and ridiculous I thought cel shading was years ago, and now I feel like this goddamned connoisseur complaining about aspects of it like it's fine wine. I mean, I can't even remember when I decided I liked it.

Seda

*goes to neogaf

Let me just say that I do feel this way about a lot of NeoGAF. Generally speaking, I enjoy most games I play to some extent, and that leads to me being on the defending side more often than not. You can't let other peoples' negativity or opposing criticism get to you. If you love the artstyle and you like what you see here, then that's all you need to know.

That said, have I mentioned that I really would like to see this in motion.

I just remembered how ugly and ridiculous I thought cel shading was years ago, and now I feel like this goddamned connoisseur complaining about aspects of it like it's fine wine. I mean, I can't even remember when I decided I liked it.

To be honest, from first seeing photos of Wind Waker in a magazine over a decade ago, I never understood the initial dislike. I thought it was the coolest looking shit ever. Even now, with this new coat of paint, I'm not really pissed about it. It's just giving another dimension to the visuals that already existed. It isn't like they swapped out character models wholesale. Admittedly they could relax a bit with the bloom, but whatever.

*goes to neogaf

Now that's just unfair. The criticism is most definitely valid and people have a right to their opinion. The abundance of negative comments in this thread is a testament to how much Nintendo has messed up this HD port.

I don't agree with them. I love the over-saturation and the extra bloom. It makes it look more "magical" and I am incredibly psyched to play the Wind Waker with improved gameplay and HD graphics (and Gamepad support). But I'm obviously not a tech expert and I recognize that my tastes are in the minority in this thread.

Mistle

*goes to neogaf

I agree to an extent. Probably not as strongly as you (I don't think everybody sucks, lol), but gaf sure can be a downer.

I try not to let gaf pessimism stifle my excitement, but a lot of the time it can. Lots of negativity on these forums.

*goes to neogaf

This is a ridiculous post. I'm not going to say this port sucks or anything since it's still really early, but how can you look at those screenshots and say they look better than the original game? I don't think there's much to get excited over yet.

guek

Banned
Seriously, if this game is 1080p locked at 60fps, it's going to blow my mind no matter what. Put an orchestrated score on top of that and...lordy

jUP4MiR.gif

bhlaab

*goes to neogaf

Hey, when I heard "Wind Waker HD for Wii U" I was pleased as punch. It's not my fault they decided to make it look terrible instead of actually just doing Wind Waker but higher res.

I'm crazy excited for this game and love the way it looks. Only thing that needs to be touched up is the characters, and I don't think they're near being done with them anyway (SOURCE: hopefulness).

Regardless, I'm just hype for environments, MF'in GHOST SHIPS, and the best overworld theme (not counting the series's main theme). This game just gives an amazing sense of adventure :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom