• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeleSocho

Banned
How would we feel about a toggle between classic flat cel shading and this new Bloom Waker version?

I feel like this new version really will bring something new to the look of the game.... But how can we give up the moving cartoon look? It's really the reason that people have been clamoring for WW in HD all these years.

That would make everyone happy... so obviously Nintendo will not do it.

I know im another random bloke popping in to say it... But this makes me bummed if it dosnt keep the cel shading of the original as an option.

It just looks like a large chunk of the original intent of the GC release is missing.

Well that's the end of my bitching... Just had to say it.

/bitching

Medalion

Banned
Wind Waker is great for HD, it made the most sense

But I think a lot of us were hoping for a bigger challenge like Majora's Mask... but I guess they may be saving that for 3DS

Hiltz

Well, the game still has several months left in development. Naturally ,we have yet to see it in motion. It will probably look better than we think.

The more I think about it, I prefer the older look although I'm excited about this HD remake.

The reason being is that the old look was built with the GC in mind, so it had a charm to it that felt timeless. This HD remake just feels like every other cel-shaded current gen console game.

It's still cool though.

Reiko

Banned
Expected this:

943434_20081110_screen013.jpg

Got this:(

itGpZ2QB6a3l0.jpg

Technically it's better. Artistically it's a downgrade.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Damn, this game is sexy. Too much bloom, but that can be fixed.

As always, Zelda artstyles are conflicting the forum.
It is pretty funny how its now it's the Celda fans who are bitching about a new artstyle :p

LeleSocho

Banned
The game still has at least 6 months of development left to polish it up. Good thing we'll likely see it in motion by E3. Nintendo can't fuck this up or else it will never hear the end of it.

Sincerely even considering that most of the work is already done because it's a remake i think that a period of 6 months to be too short to change drastically the way game looks... they first had to consider the change, then they have to approve it and they have to do it...
to me seems way too much work to do this overnight, but it's also true that i know nothing about game development so...
Of course i'm not talking of only reducing the bloom but to make it look more like the original.

Fredrik

*watches awesome new nintendo direct
*favorite zelda game getting an HD port up to wii U, which is something I wanted
*goes to neogaf
*and... no one is happy once again

Seriously you guys fucking suck. Is there anything out there that would make this forum happy ? Like ever? I'm being dead serious here because it seems like all anyone ever does on neogaf anymore is piss and bitch and moan and complain about EVERYTHING. It didn't used to be this bad either, did everyone turn into pessimists while I wasn't looking ?

Doesn't seem to matter how excited I or the handful of positive gamers left here get about anything , someone finds the most insipidly retarded ways to knock ya back down again. "nope, sorry dude, everything fucking sucks just deal with it".
Lol you should check out the Nintendo Direct thread, at around page 90 and onwards to 110 or so. It's like opening a flood gate of positivity and hype talk. The negative people are still there, you see them every ither 100 post or so. ;) So yeah, there are definitely plenty of happy people on GAF. It's just that the negative people keeps on posting so when the positive people settle down and goes away to do something else with a happy smile on their face all you see here are the negative people that still keep on posting.

A person I can't remember the name of said it best in the middle of all the "HYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!!!!!" in the ND thread when he said:

"I give GAF 3 hours to find a way to shit on WWHD".

He nailed it.

So, just don't read "old" threads about awesome news and you'll leave GAF happy. :)

Edit: Further explanation

Air

Banned
They look like really polished toys. I think it's charming. I like the original windwaker look, but this is nice too. I'd have to see what else they change to even consider rebuying this though.

Nintendo has really shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after seeing this change in art-style, is not going to want to purchase WWHD for either system, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel WWHD for Wii U or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I didn't even try

Don't know if anyone already noticed but why is there brown-sleeved Link in the screenshots?
The final version in the original WW had bright-green sleeves, only Beta WW-Link had brown sleeves :O

It really pisses me off that doesn't look like a cartoon anymore... it really destroys all the charm of the game... i think people feared this when they first complained about the style of WW 10+ years ago.

Nintendo i can't see the freaking hairbrows through the hair, fix this shit ASAP

The only time a company had to make little to no effort when changing the graphics of an HD remake they fuck up by completely changing the style.

You must've missed the time where it was said that this are screenshots from an experimental phase. These screenshots are up to one year old, basically.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Why does everyone love TWW now? I remember a LOT of criticism because of the uninspired dungeons save 2 or 3, the stupid overworld, the wind thing, the boring and lazy triforce "quest", the run-of-the-mill zelda mechanic/item rehash and the suspensionless finale build-up. Now it's the best Zelda ever?

Haunted

Why does everyone love TWW now? I remember a LOT of whining because of the uninspired dungeons save 2 or 3, the stupid overworld, the wind thing, the boring and lazy triforce "quest" and the suspensionless finale build-up. Now it's the best Zelda ever?
It's almost as if different people had different opinions.

I'm willing to bet that the gameplay upgrades are similar to OoT 3D's, with your items being toggled to the Game Pad and such. Maybe they'll even allow for a "HUDless mode" where the HUD is on the Game Pad, giving you a clutter-free screen.

Medalion

Banned
Why does everyone love TWW now? I remember a LOT of criticism because of the uninspired dungeons save 2 or 3, the stupid overworld, the wind thing, the boring and lazy triforce "quest" and the suspensionless finale build-up. Now it's the best Zelda ever?
The last great Zeruda game :p

Frolow

Banned
Why does everyone love TWW now? I remember a LOT of criticism because of the uninspired dungeons save 2 or 3, the stupid overworld, the wind thing, the boring and lazy triforce "quest", the run-of-the-mill zelda mechanic/item rehash and the suspensionless finale build-up. Now it's the best Zelda ever?
obligatory
4f3491_731557.png

I arways riked it.

But then again, I've found things to like in all the Zelda games. I guess I'm just not jaded enough yet.

Tagg9

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after seeing this change in art-style, is not going to want to purchase WWHD for either system, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel WWHD for Wii U or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I didn't even try

Dude, you're trying too hard.

Fou-Lu

The only Zelda games I have ever found myself not liking were the two DS titles, and even those had redeeming qualities. Of all the games WW is one of my favorites, if not my favorite, MM is the only one I might like more.

LeleSocho

Banned

I for one love all the Zelda games (aside Majora, i really don't like it [and the DS's games of course, i don't even consider them Zelda]) but it's at least 3-4 years since WW love highly rose... since the dolphin became at least functional to do screenshots i would say.

But there is still a lot of people who doesn't like it but obviously they aren't very vocal in a WW thread.

I didn't even try
10/10

How to remake a game: remove all the graphical charm from the original

But then again, I suppose this was to be expected
The Wii U is simply doing what the 360 and the ps3 did when they were new
Nintendo's finally going next gen with bloom and blur. It's gotta catch up somewhere.

The only other site I've seen more negativity is N4g. But that is most likely the large amount of trolling. Lol

Anyway, I like what Ninty has done with Wind Waker HD including the lighting and characters.

Tookay

Nintendo is wise to actually go back and redo the assets for HD, otherwise they know everyone would just continue to play it on Dolphin in 1080p.

The game could really end up beautiful.

I don't think they've redone many of the assets, if at all.

And they are under no threat from Dolphin users (all one thousand of them).

Seik

Banned
Way to go with HD releases. If this is how Nintendo is going to do them all, perfect.

Real talk: Playing this on the Gamepad will be fucking sweet.

trinest

You get people who hated WW finally realising it wasn't that bad and people who loved it been more vocal about there been a rerelease.

The issues the game had are still there but its the last whymiscal Zelda. TP was alright, but it was cold, it had no wonder or ambition other then been OoT 2.0. As for Skyward Sword it could end up been loved at some point in the future by the haters, but that doesn't change it too has many issues, its not whymiscal, its story foces itself at you, and the overall game has flow issues, with the everything is an dungeon idea been badly implemented.

Anth0ny

Back when it was released it was the follow up to OOT and MM.

Now, it's the predecessor of TP and SS.

There is no Zelda cycle, the series has got progressively worse with every new game since Majora's Mask

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Wow... So... I can't be the only one who's just now realizing that Wind Waker wasn't even actually 'cell shaded', am I?

What? Of course it was, that's why it's looking that much better than the new version, which has all kinds of other shaders applied.

!!

Also, Cel shading and Toon shading is the same.

Also also, just in case someone comes up with black outlines, those are done with border detection which isn't part of the shading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom