• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

leroidys

Wow... So... I can't be the only one who's just now realizing that Wind Waker wasn't even actually 'cell shaded', am I?

Eh I remember reading back in the day that it was done with a different process than JSR, and was for all intents and purposes a regular old 3D game with flat colors.

wow
6Vk.jpg

His eyes look like jesus fish.

Wow... So... I can't be the only one who's just now realizing that Wind Waker wasn't even actually 'cell shaded', am I?

It was toon shaded.
Both are little more than marketing terms used to describe achieving a cartoony look when rendering.

You've got dozens of different ways to achieve the look. None dependent on past implementations. Though this being an iterative industry most implementations are based on prior work.

What? Of course it was, that's why it's looking that much better than the new version, which has all kinds of other shaders applied.

!!

Also, Cel shading and Toon shading is the same.

Also also, just in case someone comes up with black outlines, those are done with border detection which isn't part of the shading.

I think I'm in love.

*swoons*

DjRoomba

Banned
*watches awesome new nintendo direct
*favorite zelda game getting an HD port up to wii U, which is something I wanted
*goes to neogaf
*and... no one is happy once again

Seriously you guys fucking suck. Is there anything out there that would make this forum happy ? Like ever? I'm being dead serious here because it seems like all anyone ever does on neogaf anymore is piss and bitch and moan and complain about EVERYTHING. It didn't used to be this bad either, did everyone turn into pessimists while I wasn't looking ?

Doesn't seem to matter how excited I or the handful of positive gamers left here get about anything , someone finds the most insipidly retarded ways to knock ya back down again. "nope, sorry dude, everything fucking sucks just deal with it".

This is what Ive been saying, but its the cycle of news. Hear something - get excited - overanlyze it, get dissapointed about it - buy it anyway - enjoy - complain - realize later you actually enjoyed - then complain again
In that order thats how alot og people commenting on places like Gaf react.
Noone seems to be able to go OMG WW HD, play it and leave it at that, like they should.

You guys have no shame still hating on this... one of the best things to happen to Wii U and you want a direct port of an old style granted the original was beautiful but goddam allow the Wii U to have it's own legacy! Go play your Dolphin!
LLShC.gif

fuck I hate the Zelda Backlash Meme

When I play Wind Waker on Wii U I want to be able to tell I am playing the Wii U version, fuck dammit

BillyBats

Banned
You guys have no shame still hating on this... one of the best things to happen to Wii U and you want a direct port of an old style granted the original was beautiful but goddam allow the Wii U to have it's own legacy! Go play your Dolphin!
LLShC.gif

Here, I'll add to your anger:

215551739_g2Hwf-L-2.jpg

RagnarokX

...They're the same thing. Toon shading is what it's called in Japan.

Yep, it was a joke (because Nintendo always called it toon shaded instead of cel shaded) in response to someone saying it wasn't cel shaded. It wasn't cuz they used a different name for it :p

Wow, great. A game I've already played :/

If they actually fix the horrible problems the original game had--Triforce hunt, boring, empty islands, lack of dungeons--maybe I'll think about it. Otherwise, yawn.

FAKE EDIT: Though I will say I'd like to see the GCN-GBA functionality replicated with the WiiU/3DS. That was some neato stuff that hardly anyone experienced.

Soule

Looks really good but I think the original art direction is better. Not much difference but that's my initial reaction, won't be buying a Wii U for this though as I've played my fill of Wind Waker but for those experiencing it for the first time they're in for a real treat.

Though I will say I'd like to see the GCN-GBA functionality replicated with the WiiU/3DS. That was some neato stuff that hardly anyone experienced.
I forgot about this, that's actually pretty cool

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got to a computer, and I still think the new style looks awesome.

JollyWolf

LLShC.gif

When I play Wind Waker on Wii U I want to be able to tell I am playing the Wii U version, fuck dammit

Talking about the WiiU having it's own legacy when talking about a remake of a Gamecube game.

Back when it was released it was the follow up to OOT and MM.

Now, it's the predecessor of TP and SS.

There is no Zelda cycle, the series has got progressively worse with every new game since Majora's Mask

Bullshit, Zelda fans have gotten progressively cynical and snobby. Going into any Zelda discussion these days is an exercise in fighting the urge to not punch the screen.

Ridiculous hyperbole, nostalgia out the ass, extremes rather than informed arguments, it's a cesspit, everywhere not just here on gaf.

It's like going to a bar where some old blokes talk about how everything used to be better 50 years ago and how everything coming after that was worthless.

I'm quite aware that my reply is a generalization, but it is done for sarcastic purpose to call out your ridiculous statement.

sonto340

People are getting so negative when all we've seen is a few pictures of windfall island.
Imagining everywhere else in this art style has me hype as fuck.

I'm fairly confident Nintendo won't screw up the visual style in the end. It'll either look like a better version of the original or something new that's great too. Plus they're tweaking the game a bit...it's a good thing you guys.

I do think the clay-like appearance these shots have would be a neat look in their own right, too. Reminds me a bit of the artwork in the Earthbound strategy guide.

Anyway, how fun. Wind Waker's one of my favorites in the series.

Note--dunno if this has been said yet, but I wonder why Link's sleeves are brown in these shots. I know they were brown in the earlier trailers for WW, but they were switched to light green fairly early on, weren't they? Odd little quibble I guess.

Shoogoo

Bullshit, Zelda fans have gotten progressively cynical and snobby. Going into any Zelda discussion these days is an exercise in fighting the urge to not punch the screen.

Ridiculous hyperbole, nostalgia out the ass, extremes rather than informed arguments, it's a cesspit, everywhere not just here on gaf.

It's like going to a bar where some old blokes talk about how everything used to be better 50 years ago and how everything coming after that was worthless.

I'm quite aware that my reply is a generalization, but it is done for sarcastic purpose to call out your ridiculous statement.

Thanks for putting words on my thoughts. Every Zelda thread is just hard to read because of all that bullshit.

Durock

Something is irking me here. The screenshot with Link and Tetra standing together at Windfall Island... Was that in the original game? I don't recollect seeing that.

I'm really interested in seeing how they're planning to 'enhance the overall experience' here aside from the new amazingly beautiful visuals. I think a few good, viable options would be to a) Include an additional item that would speed up the King of Red Lions ; b) Fully develop a new dungeon for Nayru's Pearl ; and C) Orchestrate the music.

bomma_man

The more I think about this the more it annoys me.

If I buy a remaster or rerelease of a movie or album I expect the same thing but objectively better through an upgrade in resolution and clarity. I don't want any changes, because I like the original for a reason. This kind of thing should be a celebration of the work, not a reinterpretation. As we all know, the latter road is drenched in the tears of Star Wars fans.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

If I buy a remaster or rerelease of a movie or album I expect the same thing but objectively better through an upgrade in resolution and clarity. I don't want any changes, because I like the original for a reason. This kind of thing should be a celebration of the work, not a reinterpretation. As we all know, the latter road is drenched in the tears of Star Wars fans.

I like reinterpretations if the original is still there.

I loved the Monkey Island special edition that let you toggle graphics back and forth between old and new.

jonezer4

FAKE EDIT: Though I will say I'd like to see the GCN-GBA functionality replicated with the WiiU/3DS. That was some neato stuff that hardly anyone experienced.

Why would you need the 3DS? You have a gamepad in your hand that is essentially a GBA on roids. I've never understood any clamoring for 3DS cross-functionality on the Wii U... I have two screens between which I have to allocate my attention already; I really don't need a third.

MisterHero

It's Wind Waker HD / Wii U Edition. It's not a 100% reprint of a Gamecube game. If they don't include settings to make it look like the old game, Nintendo can just put it on Virtual Console. However, there's no sense in making both kinds if they both use features like Miiverse though.

Honestly though, it's nice they want to try something different rather than pointing at Dolphin screens. Nintendo doesn't sell what Dolphin does or the platform Dolphin uses.

Mantorok

Nintendo rarely fucks up executing an art style. I am sure the final version will look great.

Yes but everyone here works for Nintendo and knows exactly what Nintendo should be doing, hell GAF is Nintendo.

After all, we've all made billions here from producing world class games haven't we...?

Tookay

Yep, I love Zelda games and would love to talk about them in new threads, but each one is so venomous it pains me to read them through. It's just one jaded clusterfuck.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Yes but everyone here works for Nintendo and knows exactly what Nintendo should be doing, hell GAF is Nintendo.

After all, we've all made billions here from producing world class games haven't we...?

Quick everybody, let's get Roger Ebert! Did you know he hasn't directed, nor made billions on a single movie yet he has the nerves to criticize others?! Phew good to know his arguments are invalid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom