• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is, sadly those pics are just stretched.

There's also a widescreen hack that fills the whole screen without stretching it.
The only thing stretched is the HUD in most cases.

fixed for accuracy

You know, I respect your opinion and all, but you don't have to force it on everyone else.
We get it that you (and several other people) don't like the way it looks. It's okay. But pointing it out all the time doesn't change the fact that the screenshots look the way they do and that other people seem to like them.

Always remember that these screenshots are from a VERY early build.

bomma_man

I like reinterpretations if the original is still there.

I loved the Monkey Island special edition that let you toggle graphics back and forth between old and new.

Yeah that's fine. Monkey Island or Halo Anniversary are the way it should be done. But I don't really trust that Nintendo will do it.

And obviously there's nothing stopping me from playing the original, but so what? There's nothing stopping me watching VHS movies either but I'd rather bluray.

Red

There's also a widescreen hack that fills the whole screen without stretching it.
The only thing stretched is the HUD in most cases.

You know, I respect your opinion and all, but you don't have to force it on everyone else.
We get it that you (and several other people) don't like the way it looks. It's okay. But pointing it out all the time doesn't change the fact that the screenshots look the way they do and that other people seem to like them.

Always remember that these screenshots are from a VERY early build.
There is an HD HUD patch for Wind Waker on Dolphin.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Jesus christ people like to complain. This looks far superior to WW....
Guess what, you just complained about other people disagreeing...

The comparison shots make it look like it's not even a remake, at least at this point, they just imported the original geometry in and the new engine happens to (hopefully) not have fine tuned lighting and cel shading yet.

I'm not even sure if the textures are new or just using some near automatic enhancement like those emulators for 2D systems have to make graphics look less pixelly, which causes them to look more ink like and with harder lines, but at the same time they match the originals exactly in every detail, which is why I don't think they're new. Maybe they happened to have these done already even though they knew they'd have had to downscale them for the GameCube.

Guess what, you just complained about other people disagreeing...

The comparison shots make it look like it's not even a remake, at least at this point, they just imported the original geometry in and the new engine happens to (hopefully) not have fine tuned lighting and cel shading yet.
I know what I did

It's just annoying seeing people say it looks like garbage etc., I mean come on

KKRT00

It looks exactly like WW, just lighting is changed. It looks even like they've used ENB shader, because of halo effect of shadows being forced withing the image

iy3yFEfHHcVWY.jpg

Black shadow outline behind characters. There are even shadows stripes artifacts like in Skyrim on wrong shadow filter settings on the wall in the background.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
As others have said,it's a really early build. The hi res shots show this, just look at the eyes. A lot of other weird graphical artifacts and shit as well.

It looks exactly like WW, just lighting is changed. It looks even like they've used ENB shader, because of halo effect of shadows being forced withing the image

iy3yFEfHHcVWY.jpg

Black shadow outline behind characters. There are even shadows stripes artifacts like in Skyrim on wrong shadow filter settings on the wall in the background.
That's just ambient occlusion isn't it?

Also, note the colour on Link's sleeves, they are the same as pre-release Wind Waker

Neo Child

Banned
I love sailing in the game so the triforce hunt doesn't bother me, its more reason to explore! Feels like an actual piratey thing to do oh god my favourite Zelda game I'm all over this

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so sick of reading this on GAF. No, people just have different opinions than you. And some feel strongly about them.

You're right about the graphics looking better, though.

Rich!

I love sailing in the game so the triforce hunt doesn't bother me, its more reason to explore! Feels like an actual piratey thing to do oh god my favourite Zelda game I'm all over this

Yes, an actual piratey thing to do is to gather loads of money to pay tingle for services, over and over and over and over again.

oh god the memories

I'm so sick of reading this on GAF. No, people just have different opinions than you. And some feel strongly about them.

Way to see it but how about people with strong feeling negative opinions to wait for some pictures in motion from a game that still is 10 months away. One could think Nintendo would polish the graphics and all the strange fragments are not so visible in motion.

But yeah, that's just me.

andthebeatgoeson

If they don't improve the volume of land mass, I may not double dip. They need bigger islands to explore, more towns, more things to do. Unfortunately, they'll have their hands full with the hd remake to substantially improve the game. The lack of things to do made sailing a chore for me.

If they don't improve the volume of land mass, I may not double dip. They need bigger islands to explore, more towns, more things to do. Unfortunately, they'll have their hands full with the hd remake to substantially improve the game. The lack of things to do made sailing a chore for me.

I'm just hoping the put the extra dungeons that were cut back in (they wont)

tajd

Banned

iy3yFEfHHcVWY.jpg

they look like action figures

Marlowe89

Did you know that you can scrutinize anything and find flaws? You guys are ridiculous, those screens look fantastic.

The lack of things to do made sailing a chore for me.
Really? I thought there were plenty of things to do, especially in Windfall. The sidequests in each town kept me occupied for a good while, actually, and I thought the exploration was complimented beautifully by the sailing mechanic.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
So is this the same game as before - just with updated graphics? Oh and I like how Nintendo talks about how the HD graphics transformed the game into a new world yet it took them 7 years to put out a machine capable of HD graphics.

PKrockin

Bullshit, Zelda fans have gotten progressively cynical and snobby. Going into any Zelda discussion these days is an exercise in fighting the urge to not punch the screen.

Ridiculous hyperbole, nostalgia out the ass, extremes rather than informed arguments, it's a cesspit, everywhere not just here on gaf.

It's like going to a bar where some old blokes talk about how everything used to be better 50 years ago and how everything coming after that was worthless.

I'm quite aware that my reply is a generalization, but it is done for sarcastic purpose to call out your ridiculous statement.

I would like to be your friend.

D.Lo

Yeah I'm in the 'this looks bad' camp. Wind Waker is one of my favourite games ever.

Well I've got my scanline generator coming in the mail soon, let's see how it's gonna look on that...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Are we even sure the models are the same? Like I said above, Link's undershirt has a different color. If they just ripped the models and textures out of Wind Waker wouldn't it be the same? I think they look a bit more rounded, but maybe that's just the softer shading effect they're using. We need a professional polygon counter to help with this dilemma.

And I think I love the new style, it was kind of "What the hell happened to my Wind Waker?" but I kind of like the clay/action figure look they got going here. Love the new lighting as well, except the overblown bloom effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom