• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
No shit, I have been literally dreaming the last two months of a Wind Waker HD update on WiiU just like the way they presented it today. They just have to fix the Triforce hunt and maybe add the lost dungeons. Make a special editions and I will throw my money at them.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i wonder if they coulder offer a cel shading filter or something that could be turned off and on. is that a lot more elaborate a demand on the engine than i'm imagining?

Well, the game has a more 'rendered' look to it. It looks great, but I think people expected something like this...

The difference is pretty apparent. That said, I really do like it. Reminds me of what Sega did with Sonic Generations and Unleashed.

It's a bit short of content, though. There are far fewer places to visit than in previous Zelda titles and the Triforce hunt really IS quite tedious. If they could fine tune the game a bit that would be nice as well.
Oh I definitely agree.

I just kind of get peeved when people put arbitrary boundaries on what's a fairly fluid rendering style.

jackal27

Banned
You guys, I'm not convinced that this is what the final product will look like. Didn't Eiji even say that these screens were the result of them just dicking around?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So do you guys think this game will come out at a reasonable price?

Nah, me neither.
It'll be worth it at full cost (especially if they're adding a little bit more content). I only hope that they're still working on the art style. Colour grading is a little toxic and I don't like the new shading.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I hope they add actual new content and not just a graphical overhaul, otherwise this will be disappointing, if there was any Zelda game that didn't need a graphical overhaul that title would be Wind Waker, game still looks gorgerous today (in my opinion better than the images they are showing today), and an HD port with proper widescreen would suffice.

If they're actually going back an adding new content to the game (which it desesperatly needs) and take time to re-work the overworld and sailing mechanics so it's actually interesting to travel on it however, I'll welcome this title.
Well, the original looks great on Dolphin but is pretty messy on original hardware. Jaggy, lots of dithering, and an ugly pixelated depth of field effect are knock it down a bit. It looks pretty nice on an older CRT, though.

I really do hope they rework the sailing into something that's more fun. That would really enhance the exploration portions of the game. The way it worked in the original was pretty boring and often frustrating.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, I've been wanting an excuse to replay this game... looking forward to it. I suspect we won't get a brand new Zelda game on Wii U until holiday 2014 at the earliest -- even fall 2014 seems optimistic. I hope they are serious about making big changes to the format of the game. Skyward Sword was a step in the right direction but they should have went further.

mdtauk

So while testing out previous Zelda game designs running on Wii U, they liked what happened to Wind Waker and so will take the opportunity to bring it over, in HD, and a chance to fix some of the issues they had with rushing to complete it.

It is nice to see shadowing brought to the environments. And I am sure some wonderful moods will be had at other parts of the game also. These are the images during their tests. I am sure accurate colour reproduction will be considered when they make the game itself.

Im happy they are giving this game what it deserves :)

It's definitely a very missed Zelda title in the series. Many people didnt even own a Gamecube...

Osorio93

Neo Member
YES
We have been waiting this remake for so long, AND NOW WE HAVE IT
1000x500px-ll-b21e0794_hype1.gif

brerwolfe

An important note regarding the visuals:

Something I have not seen mentioned in this thread so far is the background behind the visuals. Iwata mentioned that the team began Zelda Wii U by going back and bringing previous art styles to HD.

It wasn't Iwata talking, but more importantly, sounds like other Zelda titles could be coming to the console as well. Like, Majora's Mask anyone?

To be honest I prefer the gamecube art style to this new one.
The gamecube one seemed more warm to me.

That being said I am still excited for this game. Even though I have already played it and have a plethora of games I still have to play.

Will this be a retail game? Or download?

zoukka

I'm sure they'll tone down the blown out lighting during development. I wouldn't look too closely into these shots until proper trailers are released.

But just the thought of WW's epic world being remodelled with better performance nnngghhhhhhh...

Codeblue

It wasn't Iwata talking, but more importantly, sounds like other Zelda titles could be coming to the console as well. Like, Majora's Mask anyone?

That game deserves to be realized in the style of its concept art more than any other. Hope it happens.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Worse than the original? Yes.
Hey, at least it doesn't use the awful depth of field filter present in the Gamecube version. I love me some depth of field but not when it's rendered at such a low precision. It really gummed up an otherwise gorgeous game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
I really do hope they rework the sailing into something that's more fun. That would really enhance the exploration portions of the game. The way it worked in the original was pretty boring and often frustrating.

you mean the mechanics of the sailing or the moving around the map? moving around the map was pretty exciting to me--every square had something interesting and the warp song made it super easy to get around.

i agree the actual mechanic of sailing could be better executed though. i didn't find it boring really, i should say.

Ridley327

I'm not really feeling the change in art styles (it is pretty amazing how a small change can impact the entire visual look), but if they are going back to implement the stuff that they had to cut out originally, then there's no way I won't get it.

At least it will still animate well; it's crazy that it's been 10 years, and very few games have even come close to what they achieved on the Gamecube with this game.

dani_dc

Well, the original looks great on Dolphin but is pretty messy on original hardware. Jaggy, lots of dithering, and an ugly pixelated depth of field effect are knock it down a bit. It looks pretty nice on an older CRT, though.

I absolutely agree, which is why I said "HD port with proper widescreen would suffice".

Wind Waker could definitively use improvements in terms of gameplay and design as well as aditional content, it was a flawed and incomplete game in many ways.
With that said my expectations regarding any kind of gameplay/design improvements as well as new content are low, until further notice I'll expect this to be akin OOT 3DS and nothing more than that.

Prove me wrong Nintendo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom