• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

monome

characters look shitty with this engine.

so two wiiU games this year, W101 and WWHD, both without releases dates.
One that has no Off-TV confirmed, the other that may or may not improve on the orginal experience.

hummmm. I bought a WiiU day 1, so I guess I'm a fanboy, but damn, if these are megatons, i'm probably way too irradiated by iwata's previous bombs to feel da bomb today.

Come on now. It doesn't really matter if it actually is or isn't cell shaded. The point I'm making is that the style doesn't look as good without the flat color look that JGR had.

I hope it isn't final because it just looks off.
Hey at least that's an actual reason.

Which I'm completely okay with someone espousing. It definitely doesn't have the stark contrasts between the lighted and shaded of the original.

Smellycat

The fact that Nintendo is working on two Zelda games on WiiU, makes me think that the 3DS Zelda game is a remake of MM, developed by the same team that remade OOT.

jarosh

Ouch. Looks like some of those early "next-gen" games from the 360 generation, mostly the UE stuff. Excessive color correction, bloom and ill-fitting shaders turned up to 11, harsh shadows and blown-out highlights. Not particularly pretty.

For me, this is the best possible news they could have announced... I'm sure they'll make us wait until 2014 though. :( I've always maintained that Wind Waker has the best graphics of any game due to my love of the art style.. the OP looks glorious. I'm thrilled.

fall release for WWHD. i think thats what they said.

Neiteio

This announcement would have me so hyped, IF NOT for the fact the sky looks like a fluorescent billboard and the ground looks radiated. :(

Ouch. Looks like some of those early "next-gen" games from the 360 generation, mostly the UE stuff. Excessive color correction, bloom and ill-fitting shaders turned up to 11, harsh shadows and blown-out highlights. Not particularly pretty.

Exactly.
Unless they tune it to look more like the original, I may even pass on it.

vareon

You know what, if a random gaming blog posted the screen renders "Fan recreated Wind Waker's Outset Island in HD" I would've believed it. Like that Pokemon Center render.

But hell, it's Wind Waker in HD, playable, from Nintendo themselves. Will. Buy.

Wow. Interesting choice. Really hope the game is expanded either with more dungeons or better side quest content (and more islands). They really need to make sure the IQ is clean on HDTVs too or I don't think it will look as nice as even WW GCN does on Dolphin (or on an SDTV).
I have to admit it hurts a bit to see them choose to remake a whole game and its not Majora's Mask :(
It would have benefited more than WW, but I guess we will get that one on 3DS.
This too. Wind Waker would have made a better 3DS choice (tuned port) while the older titles (much more held back by hardware) would have made more sense for the WiiU title.

Mock if old.
wiiu_zeldawindwaker_stebqz.jpg

wiiu_zeldawindwaker_s4kaup.jpg

wiiu_zeldawindwaker_skvyu5.jpg

wiiu_zeldawindwaker_sl6xoj.jpg

wiiu_zeldawindwaker_s1vo7s.jpg

wiiu_zeldawindwaker_sqpqzj.jpg

wiiu_zeldawindwaker_s3pq0c.jpg

wiiu_zeldawindwaker_segrfp.jpg

wiiu_zeldawindwaker_s7crhn.jpg

zoukka

If you really think the sailing was the best part of the game perhaps you're playing the wrong game? I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it, but man, it actually hurt my enjoyment of the game. The fact that you had to open and close menus to change the direction of the wind also got on my nerves. I hated it.

I'm sure they won't change it, though, so you'll be fine.

Yeah it's a really divisive game in that regard. I hate fast travel in any big RPG so it was perfect for me. I always tried to plan my routes so I could explore a new island on my way to the next story location. And the ocean itself is still the most impressive execution of large masses of water in games.

WW truly felt like "next-gen" to me in similar sense that SM64 did.

Quackula

If they decide to expand on the game and add in all the stuff they had to cut out, that'll be awesome.

If they don't though and we just get the original game as-is, I'm not gonna complain. I'll be perfectly happy with that.

Resilient

Yeah, now that the initial fuck me factor has worn off, I really want to see this in motion. Right now it looks kind of eerie..

Orbis

bonus points if they include the cut dungeons
If they did. Wow. We'd finally have the 'true' version of this game. They have basically said the game will be changed, but whether that actually means adding content we just don't know.

Either way, I'm going to just sail that ocean for hours in glorious HD. Anyone reckon it could handle 1080p even with the fancy new effects and presumably upgraded textures?

Neiteio

Once the glow of the new announcement wears off, people are going to realize what they've shown us so far looks... Well, kind of ugly.

The need to make it so that changing the wind direction is a menu option instead of having to play the ocarina every time you want to change wind direction. That annoyance made me not want to finish the game. That said I will be getting this game.

Sheroking

Having recently replayed WW, the travel thing didn't bug me as much. All they really need to do is speed up the animation on using the WW to change the wind's direction.

Adding the 'lost dungeons' and removing or retooling the triforce fetchquest could well make it the best Zelda ever made.

mantidor

I don't think it's safe to expect a big change in content. Adding dungeons, NPCs and quests in remakes never works out very well for a reason, they weren't intended to be there in the first place. They don't belong int the world or the structure laid out for the original game. At best they might include some optional dungeon or quest line but I don't expect great things there. Talk abou cut dungeons is silly, the concepts they cut were probably used in SS and TP if they were worthwhile.

What they should change easily is the difficul level. More damage, less hearts, more resistant enemies and there you go.

I mostly agree but in this case the game was incomplete, so those two dungeons missing should work, I don't see any reason to get more npcs though, what for?

even then I doubt we'll get new dungeons and I'm ok with that, put those efforts into the new game. I'm not saying it wouldn't be awesome but these games don't make themselves and Nintendo doesn't have unlimited resources.

The need to make it so that changing the wind direction is a menu option instead of having to play the ocarina every time you want to change wind direction. That annoyance made me not want to finish the game. That said I will be getting this game.

You should just swipe on the gamepad touch screen to change wind.

I have to admit that the shots so far look kind of weird compared to the old Wind Waker. They definitely have to tone down on the bloom use.

Still plenty of time left to fix that.

Krowley

I think it looks fantastic. I'm surprised so many people dislike it. Still, i probably wouldn't buy it unless they added more content. I loved WW but it is one of the lesser Zelda games IMO, somewhere behind TP, OOT, and ALTTP. A couple of additional dungeons and maybe a difficulty slider might help a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom