• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

Done!

oiACi.png

You finding that missing piece at the very end was LOL.

LEGO is never wrong!

r1chard

^^
Edit: Finished!! I love the old school look. Fantastic build although I wish it was a little bigger. I added some mini-figs for more realism and next step will be to remove the garage door and add other parts I have to make it slide, so I can add a car in the driveway.

w7QeV.jpg

What you need to do is get another one :)

And then get three corner stores for down the road :)

(photos from the recent Brickvention in Melbourne)

woodypop

So I mentioned going to the LEGO store yesterday to pick up a Y-Wing, but that ended up not happening. My wife really wanted a set with Ewoks and if it was enough to get her into building then I was willing to make the sacrifice. These sets may be a little simple, but I cannot complain about getting a few minifigs I like along with three speeder bikes (one winter). Plus she agreed we need to get the Imperial Shuttle next month when we have time to build it so I count that as a win.
You should go to Toys R Us. The Y-Wing's on sale for $42. Just picked up my very own. =)

Anyone have experience with the LEGO board games? Never played one before, but I also picked this up, 'cuz it was 40% off.

(I finally got around to ordering Creationary from Amazon, too - thanks to BomberMouse! Should be here tomorrow.)

You should go to Toys R Us. The Y-Wing's on sale for $42. Just picked up my very own. =)

Anyone have experience with the LEGO board games? Never played one before, but I also picked this up, 'cuz it was 40% off.

(I finally got around to ordering Creationary from Amazon, too - thanks to BomberMouse! Should be here tomorrow.)

Lego games are usually frowned upon on the boardgame circles because they are overly simplistic and with too much luck involved. I actually don't mind them and have a few of my own (Heroica sets, creationary and minotaurus), as long as you understand that they are aimed at children and are begging to be houseruled (which makes a lot of sense for a lego boardgame). The Heroica sets are way too cool to not create some advanced rules.

In the end, they are not great but I still have a blast playing with my little sisters when I visit them. If you are looking for some more serious options, you should check this thread instead http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406418

r1chard

Lego games are usually frowned upon on the boardgame circles because they are overly simplistic and with too much luck involved. I actually don't mind them and have a few of my own (Heroica sets, creationary and minotaurus), as long as you understand that they are aimed at children and are begging to be houseruled (which makes a lot of sense for a lego boardgame). The Heroica sets are way too cool to not create some advanced rules.
We've got a few of their games and while luck does come into it pretty heavily it's not as bad as some more mainstream games.

There's some advanced Heroica rules already out there floating on the nets.

There was also a cool up-scaling of Heroica on display at Brickvention, using minifigs and scaling everything up to suit :)

woodypop

In the end, they are not great but I still have a blast playing with my little sisters when I visit them. If you are looking for some more serious options, you should check this thread instead http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406418
Cool. I'm just looking for a game I can get a couple rounds in with some fellow geeky co-workers during lunch. Can't wait to give it a go this week! =)

Then want to start on Creationary, with added bricks and modified rules. Hope to infect the co-workers with the LEGO bug! =D

r1chard

Then want to start on Creationary, with added bricks and modified rules. Hope to infect the co-workers with the LEGO bug! =D
The only rule we've found necessary is that if you get the card that looks like a park entrance you can return it to the pile and pick another one :)

wetwired

The only rule we've found necessary is that if you get the card that looks like a park entrance you can return it to the pile and pick another one :)

God. I've only played a few games of it but when we got that card it took forever and no one got it anyway. House rules at my place since have been each person gets 1 guess each and if no one guesses the builder fails and the next person has their go.

I've only got creationary though. Its the only one that appealed to me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't mind some breathing space on the expensive sets. That Samurai mech looked pretty nice though. x-wing and AT-ST are very cute too. I think mainly the new themes for the year just don't interest me, which is fine I guess - Monsters, LOTR and super heroes all do nothing for me.

lego advent calender 2012 looks a bit poor compared to last years. Might see if I can make my own MOC advent calendar for the kids. That might be a fun GAF challenge too - 24 micro builds

ghostmind

The Jabba's Palace set is $120 for 717 pieces. That's a pretty high per-piece ratio.

Now the Jabba minifig itself will probably be worth $30 on Bricklink, and many of the other figs will also command high prices, due to their exclusivity, but I think LEGO is taking advantage a bit much on this one.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The Jabba's Palace set is $120 for 717 pieces. That's a pretty high per-piece ratio.

Now the Jabba minifig itself will probably be worth $30 on Bricklink, and many of the other figs will also command high prices, due to their exclusivity, but I think LEGO is taking advantage a bit much on this one.

They are. It's a bit disheartening really..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
amazon UK have a few nice discounts at the moment

- nearly 50% off the Fire Dragon temple Ninjago set. Has some really nice pieces for temples etc, and a neat dragon. £50 instead of £92
- 20% off the X-wing
- 30% off the TIE fighter
- nearly 20% off the millenium falcon
- nearly 30% off Slave I
- 33% off anakin and sebulba's podracers

woodypop

lego advent calender 2012 looks a bit poor compared to last years. Might see if I can make my own MOC advent calendar for the kids. That might be a fun GAF challenge too - 24 micro builds
And that's really saying something. I wasn't exactly ecstatic about last year's edition. =/
Santa Yoda trumps Santa Darth Maul tho.

Yeah, unless the sets are hard-to-find or soon-to-be-retired, my general policy is to wait for sales. I don't like the idea of paying MSRP for this stuff, and they're bound to go on sale sooner or later. I've learned to be patient (for the most part).

ghostmind

I really like the look of that Fury Interceptor... might have to stray from my OT-only rule a bit (like I did for the TIE Defender and the V-wing) and pick this one up.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I'm glad that the set didn't interest me at all.

I really like the look of that Fury Interceptor... might have to stray from my OT-only rule a bit (like I did for the TIE Defender and the V-wing) and pick this one up.

If there's one thing I didn't hate about the prequels, it was that I still thought they did a pretty good job with ship design.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
whats the general rule-of-thumb for price per piece in dollars? In the UK if you go by 10p per piece, then that Jabba's palace would be around £70. So more like a $79-99 set?

If there's one thing I didn't hate about the prequels, it was that I still thought they did a pretty good job with ship design.

I want a UCS Venator

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
whats the general rule-of-thumb for price per piece in dollars? In the UK if you go by 10p per piece, then that Jabba's palace would be around £70. So more like a $79-99 set?

In USD, $0.10/piece is pretty standard. As the set piece count goes up, that goes closer to $0.07/piece or so. When you start getting into the $0.15-0.20/piece, it's starting to creep into ridiculous. Tower bridge is around $0.055/piece, which is on the lower end for comparison.

Taxes filed. Waiting for the return. I have decided that I will get the Imperial Shuttle and the iPad 3 with it instead of the Shuttle and SSD. The SSD is sexy looking, but at nearly twice the price of the shuttle with only about 600 more pieces I cannot justify it. Not now at least. And the shuttle will be easier to find a display place for in my small apartment.

oneHeero

Funny that this thread should pop up.
I was looking at some LEGO in a store the other day and it reminded me of all the fun I had when I was a kid.

Maybe I should get back into it

I popped into this thread once and havent been able to leave. I've never owned a Lego set in my life but this Friday I spend $328 at the Lego store... I cant wait to get home to start putting them together.

I anticipate going back tomorrow and PROBABLY buy the Space Shuttle

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I popped into this thread once and havent been able to leave. I've never owned a Lego set in my life but this Friday I spend $328 at the Lego store... I cant wait to get home to start putting them together.

I anticipate going back tomorrow and PROBABLY buy the Space Shuttle

It's sort of fun being an adult and into Lego, no? Being able to afford the sets you only dreamed of as a child is rad.

Hmm I tried that earlier in both Chrome and Safari and it doesn't want to play. The ad plays, the bar fills up, but nothing plays.

Nevermind. Started after the whole thing preloaded.

ghostmind

Besides the Sydney Opera House, there are two more Architecture kits that were announced:

21013 Big Ben (346pcs; $30)
21016 Namdaemun Gate (325pcs; $35)

Nitemare1

A little Sunday night fun!.
I'm really liking the small City sets. Here's the policecopter . Sans stickers in case I want to use the pieces for other thing down the road

PoliceChopper.jpg

Sqorgar

Banned

The prices of LEGOs have gone up recently. Many of the newer sets, like the Dino sets, are more expensive than average. Part of it, I think, is more unique pieces for the figures. We probably need a new way to calculate prices - like $3 for each minifig, $10-$15 for each dino/jabba, and then do the 10c per piece conversion.

It's a cool set, but compared to the modulars, there's no way the Jabba's palace is worth $120.

After watching The Amazing Test - Bricked and viewing this thread it's so difficult not to give in to buying some Lego. I don't want to get into it since it gets expensive so fast, plus I have nowhere to put it in my tiny room.

I'm wondering how much my parents spent on my Lego when I was a kid. I used to have tons of the stuff.

I'm 18 (nearly 19), and I think the last Lego set I built was some stupid Star Wars Episode III set, the one on the lava planet. If anyone can post a picture of it that would be cool. That wasn't even that long ago (2005?). I guess I'm quite young.

Edit: Found it!

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/7257_Ultimate_Lightsaber_Duel

I can't believe I used to be interested in that crappy trilogy. I guess all kids were.

Hmm I tried that earlier in both Chrome and Safari and it doesn't want to play. The ad plays, the bar fills up, but nothing plays.

Nevermind. Started after the whole thing preloaded.
Yeah it's weird, you have to wait for the entire thing to pre-load before it will start playing.

Apparently justin.tv is making it a featured video!

Ainaurdur

Sadly, this is a pretty common consensus.

How have people felt over the years with Star Wars sets? Haven't some been better than others?

I wonder if Lego might just be testing the waters with the first batch. That if they get enough support whether we will see more improvements in additional sets.
I am a little let down by a couple of them, but I want to get them all anyway. Maybe I am too hopeful.

On the other hand, Lego is releasing a ton of new sets in both old and new themes this year. Maybe they are spreading themselves too thin? "Like butter, scraped over too much bread."

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting all those Marvel sets (except for those weird tall/skinny hero lego guys), same thing I did with the DC sets. I'm still wondering if I should buy another set of the DC and 2 of the Marvel so I can have a set of my own to build, then another set to sell in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom