• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Someone posted this on the Flickr sets. They should just go with this printed head and make a separate Tony Stark minifig if they must.

Wow, that Iron Man looks MUCH better. A printed head would be a lot smarter, but I imagine there's some weird play factor that they have to account for.

All the Tested sparked Lego fever going on lately got me to buy my goddaughter a box of Lego for her birthday and myself a baby Tie Fighter, seen here experiencing the ultimate crossover.

IMG_20120213_195323.jpg

I thought those were legit minifigs for a moment. Where can you get the full set?

So I just dug out my old Star Wars LEGO from 1999 and I would like to update my TIE Advanced with the blue lego pieces to the re-release with the grey pieces.

What's the best way to get grey pieces besides online via bricklink and the like? Do LEGO stores carry all assortments of colored LEGO or just normal bricks?

As well, the Y-Wing that came in that set is pretty lame compared to the 2007 re-release and the new 2012 version. It's too bad this stuff is so expensive as I find I can't justify replacing my old ships though they looks so much better now.

Thanks!

Naka

So I just dug out my old Star Wars LEGO from 1999 and I would like to update my TIE Advanced with the blue lego pieces to the re-release with the grey pieces.

What's the best way to get grey pieces besides online via bricklink and the like? Do LEGO stores carry all assortments of colored LEGO or just normal bricks?

As well, the Y-Wing that came in that set is pretty lame compared to the 2007 re-release and the new 2012 version. It's too bad this stuff is so expensive as I find I can't justify replacing my old ships though they looks so much better now.

Thanks!

They carry all kinds of different pieces and they also rotate them out. It's definitely worth a shot to go in and see if they have what you're looking for. You can also ask them if they have it not out in the bins yet as well. The LEGO store by me seems to restock every monday, not sure how often they swap out though.

Wolfe

Yeah that first Ironman looks like ass imo, huge head is too huge. Reminds me of one of the easter island statues.

I ended up picking up the new Jedi Interceptor this weekend and really like it (although the msrp is $40 it's listed on amazon for $70? geez...). I didn't much care for the green throughout the ship, not sure if it was like that in the movie, or if the ship was even in the movies as I have mostly forgotten the prequels. Anyway like I said I replaced almost all of the green (left a few pieces on the underside) with either grey or dark grey. I then added a few unnecessary pieces like the circular grills from the midi falcon. Also I think I'll go back to red pieces on the outside lasers instead of green like I have on there now.

All in all I'm happy with how it looks now and really love the ship regardless design wise.

rjPRj.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've decided that my 1,000th post on GAF will be in my favorite thread!

Despite the fact that I uploaded this guy a while back, I feel like posting him again as a celebration of my growing GAF addiction. Oh, and because he's super adorable.

Chuckie

I've decided that my 1,000th post on GAF will be in my favorite thread!

Despite the fact that I uploaded this guy a while back, I feel like posting him again as a celebration of my growing GAF addiction. Oh, and because he's super adorable.

It's still very awesome!

They carry all kinds of different pieces and they also rotate them out. It's definitely worth a shot to go in and see if they have what you're looking for. You can also ask them if they have it not out in the bins yet as well. The LEGO store by me seems to restock every monday, not sure how often they swap out though.

Thanks for the advice. I've also managed to find the sets instructions online (which I may have thrown out) and they detail all the peices required nicely. I just hope it's not too many unique pieces I'll need.

XShagrath

This thread is making it horribly hard to not get back into building again. I'm really interested in sets that have large numbers of pieces, and the modulars are calling my name. I know some of them are out of print and probably won't come back ever though.

Out of the ones that are currently available, which one should I start with? Most piece, most fun build, etc.?

LazyLoki

Well, this is the loot of the last 2 weeks:

TIE-Fighter, X-Wing, Y-Wing, the Sonic Boom jet, Castle Fortaan, Lava Dragon.

img_0303z8k8j.jpg

I plan on buying most of the more or less fantasy-themed games to build miniscale epics. Aside from that, I just brought my old LEGO from my parents and will start sorting it to build some MOC's.

Yesterday was our weekly D&D night, and the first 20 minutes or so were spent playing with LEGO... all of us are in our late 20s to mid 30s and graduates or post-grads. Imagine us running around making pew-pew noises or roleplaying with classic Castle LEGO :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This thread is making it horribly hard to not get back into building again. I'm really interested in sets that have large numbers of pieces, and the modulars are calling my name. I know some of them are out of print and probably won't come back ever though.

Out of the ones that are currently available, which one should I start with? Most piece, most fun build, etc.?

Fire brigade is discontinued in the next few weeks when Town Hall comes in. Grand emporium will be next but you probably have more time.

Haven't built either but to me the Grand Emporium looks more fun (more expensive too though)

Fire brigade is discontinued in the next few weeks when Town Hall comes in. Grand emporium will be next but you probably have more time.

Haven't built either but to me the Grand Emporium looks more fun (more expensive too though)

Grand emporium is the same price, all the modular currently out are $149.99. I just built my first modular, fire Brigade and it was really fun to build, love the details inside. The way you do the brick work on the outside front of the building is great too.

The LOTR sets shown so far don't look terribly interesting but there is a TON of potential for the license. I'm very interested to see where they go with it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Wow, neonglow, that set looks really cool. Some great parts in there, too!

@The Lamonster Amazon is fine. If the set is coming in around MSRP, the Lego store is a better option. VIP points add up, and you can get coupons and special offers at the store, too.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

What is the point of a new builder buying any of the modulars if LEGO no longer sell the entire line-up?

Only three out of six are currently sold, right? Seems silly not to continue to offer the others.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What is the point of a new builder buying any of the modulars if LEGO no longer sell the entire line-up?

Only three out of six are currently sold, right? Seems silly not to continue to offer the others.

The modular buildings are iconic structures that bring the detail of the larger sets into a theme that people (like myself) not interested in Star Wars, PotC, or other licenses can really appreciate and enjoy. On top of that, they incorporate some really excellent building techniques that AFOLs can make use of, and they supply you with a great assortment of pieces.

While Green Grocer, Market Street, and Cafe Corner are no longer available, the current lineup is VERY strong and still provides some of the most incredible architectural builds available.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The modular buildings are iconic structures that bring the detail of the larger sets into a theme that people (like myself) not interested in Star Wars, PotC, or other licenses can really appreciate and enjoy. On top of that, they incorporate some really excellent building techniques that AFOLs can make use of, and they supply you with a great assortment of pieces.

While Green Grocer, Market Street, and Cafe Corner are no longer available, the current lineup is VERY strong and still provides some of the most incredible architectural builds available.

Oh, I agree, they are great builds aimed at adults.

Personally I would love to buy them, but there is no option to, yet LEGO continue to offer new sets. So it's like as they're releasing these new sets they are shrinking their market by not letting new buyers in on the whole thing.

I wouldn't like to just buy the three (four with Town Hall on the way), knowing there were three others that would complete it that I could never buy.

They sell them as part of a bigger picture, but don't offer the bigger picture unless you're already on the bandwagon.

Personally I would love to buy them, but there is no option to, yet LEGO continue to offer new sets. So it's like as they're releasing these new sets they are shrinking their market by not letting new buyers in on the whole thing.

Are they only available as a subscription or something? I was wondering why I never see them in stores.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i'm perfectly happy to buy only some of them. People don't need to buy all the SW sets, or all the creator sets.

I collected all the bricks for Cafe Corner, but I don't mind missing out on Greengrocer - the petshop is similar enough for me.

Price is interesting - both GE and Fire Brigade are $150? In the UK Fire brigade is only £99, GE is £132.

rataven

Oh, I agree, they are great builds aimed at adults.

I wouldn't like to just buy the three (four with Town Hall on the way), knowing there were three others that would complete it that I could never buy.

They sell them as part of a bigger picture, but don't offer the bigger picture unless you're already on the bandwagon.

I wouldn't pass these sets by simply because you can't have all of them! And you never know, Lego may, though it's a long shot, decide to reproduce them. They have pulled out sets from their vault before. So if you don't start now, then you won't have any!

And I'll be honest, as someone who does have the full modular line - the first two are kind of boring, compared to the other five.

Price is interesting - both GE and Fire Brigade are $150? In the UK Fire brigade is only £99, GE is £132.

Yeah, last week when I wasin the lego store debating between all 3 (fire, emporium, and pet shop) all were $150, so I just went with Fire Brigade because it was the most pieces and I liked the bell tower on top of it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Are they only available as a subscription or something? I was wondering why I never see them in stores.

They're LEGO Store-exclusive IIRC.

There are six total, three are discontinued, three are on sale now (Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium and Pet Shop).

Town Hall will be out in the next month or two, then the Fire Brigade will be discontinued so they will be offering three of seven for sale.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

cjelly is half-correct...The sets are Lego store exclusive (that I've seen), but you can order them off of Amazon or the Lego.com shopping page.

As with all OOP sets, there's never really been a discussion as to why Lego hasn't brought certain ones back. I mean, look at Taj Mahal. That set fetches upwards of $2000 on eBay/Amazon/Bricklink. Retail was what, in the two-hundred dollar range? People who purchase these sets on the after market are not giving a dime to Lego, and as a result, Lego's decision to not reprint the set is [indirectly] taking profit from them.

The way I see it, if Lego did a limited run of some of these crazy high dollar sets, they'd make an unfair amount of money.

Unfair amount of money.

ghostmind

Regarding the modulars, I want to have that Green Grocer, so I will likely be dropping the cash for it in the next year, before the prices get much higher than they are now.

Remember that the Cafe corner and Market Street interiors were completely empty, so I'm thinking of eventually brick-building the Cafe Corner myself with an MOC interior, or, if another corner lot is released from LEGO in the next year or two, I just might forget about it altogether. I'm not a fan of the look of Market Street, so I'm not bothering with that one at all.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Built the Queen's Anne Revenge today. I'd say it took me just under three hours to build. It looks gorgeous. My first pirate ship ever (unless you count the Viking ship)

Completely unrelated I was at my grandparents for a holiday and they have a small selection of really old bricks. Only my two youngest cousins and me have any interest in them now. I often find it interesting to build with such a limited palette, it gives the models a true retro feel, and I kind of like to leave something behind after my visit. Well here's the two things I built this time round:

ilrDKd7Okrkif.JPG

Some sort of bird. Basically picked up the long red piece and built it from there without any planning or corrections and came up with this.

iP2EbUIJXeIew.JPG

A London Route Master with square wheels! Might be worth rebuilding this with a bigger selection of pieces. You can really see the age of these pieces by how warped those roof tiles are. Their grip really is weak now.

I was originally planning on entering the first MOC contest with a model built with these pieces but since the first theme was never decided I just built my own thing.

Fox Mulder

cjelly is half-correct...The sets are Lego store exclusive (that I've seen), but you can order them off of Amazon or the Lego.com shopping page.

As with all OOP sets, there's never really been a discussion as to why Lego hasn't brought certain ones back. I mean, look at Taj Mahal. That set fetches upwards of $2000 on eBay/Amazon/Bricklink. Retail was what, in the two-hundred dollar range? People who purchase these sets on the after market are not giving a dime to Lego, and as a result, Lego's decision to not reprint the set is [indirectly] taking profit from them.

The way I see it, if Lego did a limited run of some of these crazy high dollar sets, they'd make an unfair amount of money.

Unfair amount of money.

yeah, I get why they have stuff go out of print, but the prices these go for afterwards is insane. I wonder how hard it would be for them to just sell OOP sets on their website as custom orders. They'd get a premium from people wanting these sets and don't have to actually print tons of them to put in stores around the world.

I wanted the UCS Millennium Falcon, but was faced with either paying $2k for the set or buying everything off bricklink. I got home today to find my mail box stuff with bubble envelopes full of light bluish grey lego pieces. Bricklink sellers shipped faster than I expected.

I've still only bought around 2k of the pieces for the whole set though.

Pics or it did not happen!
I kid, but pics of building would be nice
Yeah I'm thinking I'll do a whole bunch of photos as I build it. I've got a 3 year old son who I'll try and get involved at least to some level, but he spilled a whole bag of stuff on the floor while I was building the X-Wing so I'm thinking he'll have limited involvement!

wetwired

Regarding the modulars, I want to have that Green Grocer, so I will likely be dropping the cash for it in the next year, before the prices get much higher than they are now.

Remember that the Cafe corner and Market Street interiors were completely empty, so I'm thinking of eventually brick-building the Cafe Corner myself with an MOC interior, or, if another corner lot is released from LEGO in the next year or two, I just might forget about it altogether. I'm not a fan of the look of Market Street, so I'm not bothering with that one at all.

I never considered market street to be a true modular set. It was designed by a fan and it shows, its the only one I didn't buy and don't intend to.

I haven't got the pet shop yet but I'll be getting that in the next few months hooefully

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Is the one-in-one-out thing for modulars true, or can I expect to see some Fire Brigades still on lego.com/in-store on March 1st?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is the one-in-one-out thing for modulars true, or can I expect to see some Fire Brigades still on lego.com/in-store on March 1st?

there will probably be an overlap as stocks are run down.

I never considered market street to be a true modular set. It was designed by a fan and it shows, its the only one I didn't buy and don't intend to.

I haven't got the pet shop yet but I'll be getting that in the next few months hooefully

Not a huge fan of Market street or the green grocer (the bay windows just look too big to me). which is useful as I can put them out of my mind and save myself a fortune

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom