• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwired

If they intend to make the modulars larger like Town Hall going forward, I think a school would work really well.

I'd like to see a precinct style police station, with stairs on the corner going up and round light fittings above it, prison bars on one side. Suspect line up... etc

fuck it maybe I should make one myself

I've got the old LEGO Mindstorm Dark Side Developer Kit, but I'm not sure whether I should hang on to it or sell it and buy a set I want more.

hXk6Rl.jpg

I still have the box, the electronics work, has all the manuals, and all the pieces. One piece snapped years ago, but it has been repaired.
Bricklink has Used sets going for $110-$150, but on Ebay the highest bid is $40 at the moment (Still 5 days left, could go higher).

Anyone have suggestions of where I'd have the best luck selling it?

The LOTR sets shown so far don't look terribly interesting but there is a TON of potential for the license. I'm very interested to see where they go with it.

I'm a bit worried - but then I've only recently rejoined the Lego Collective, and I don't know if this is just how they usually start things.

The sets thus far just look so... basic. Helm's Deep should be a massive $150+ set, but instead it looks like it shouldn't retail for more than $80-100. Mines of Moria reduced to one room? And Shelob attacks? No one wanted Shelob attacks.

I'm a bit worried - but then I've only recently rejoined the Lego Collective, and I don't know if this is just how they usually start things.

The sets thus far just look so... basic. Helm's Deep should be a massive $150+ set, but instead it looks like it shouldn't retail for more than $80-100. Mines of Moria reduced to one room? And Shelob attacks? No one wanted Shelob attacks.

If they do UCS LOTR sets, the first will probably be Isengard. That is one of the iconically structures from the film that could make a relatively simple yet huge set. Minas Tirith could easily be sold in pieces year after year until you have one obscenely huge set.

FStop7

Banned

If a monster 3,000 piece Orthanc or Barad Dur kit drops then I am in deep, deep trouble.

I got mine for $500. If you're already considering the SSD or Death Star already then it's not that much more, plus you'll be able to resell it without difficulty.

I don't like the current death star too much, but that old Death Star II model is hot. And $500 for the SD is rather good for a sexy set, but I will continue to debate between an SSD and an iPad 3 for the next few weeks.

neonglow

I finished building my X-wing and I'm looking into buying the Y-wing. Is Toys R Us the only retailer besides the Lego stores that are selling it?

Question for the SSD owners out there: How tall is the set when on a stand? It is simple to find how long it is, but not its height when on the support stands.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Want UCS SD so badly! That's a good price though, much more reasonable than the falcon

Love that micro petshop too.

Let me know if you figure out how that chunk is attached to the main building... that part has me completely stumped. The inner studs all end up at really weird offsets.

If you look at the Flickr pic, the right side of the windowsill doesn't stick out, and the guy says in the caption that this is for structural reasons. So I'm guessing the windows aren't fully supported back there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
finally got my final bricklink order in. Now have all the pieces for my two technics sets so I can sell them and make some space for the new sets I bought.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I don't like the current death star too much, but that old Death Star II model is hot. And $500 for the SD is rather good for a sexy set, but I will continue to debate between an SSD and an iPad 3 for the next few weeks.

Death Star II is the only Star Wars model I find attractive. I'd love to try and part it out, but I imagine it will get pretty damned expensive.

I got mine for $500. If you're already considering the SSD or Death Star already then it's not that much more, plus you'll be able to resell it without difficulty.

Been trying to get a deal on the UCS ISD, but can never find even a used one for les than $700. $500 is as high as I will go for a used set.

Finally started on my first big MOC. Basing it on a couple of SW ships alhtough I was originally going to try to make the Phoenix.

C20G6l.jpg

The Phoenix;

w5F1t.png

It may still turn out like that if I can get the parts I need and don't get distracted on the way. For now I'm working on a frame to get the genral shape in place.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finally started on my first big MOC. Basing it on a couple of SW ships alhtough I was originally going to try to make the Phoenix.

C20G6l.jpg

Oh neat - I dig the idea of documenting the MOC build. Being able to see the framework, some intermediate stages, and the final build all next to each other is really cool.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
who here has display cases? Thinking to maybe just use some shelves in the spare room which can double up for books/kids toys etc. But glass cabinets are tempting too.

peeron is good for old stuff - it can be a git to navigate, so try brickset.com to search for the set...

A spot of googling should sort that for you. I think Peeron.com has most of them scanned in. I usually just put 'LEGO XXXX Manual PDF' where XXXX is the product number.

Thanks again! For all the parents out there, never throw away your kids Lego! I hadn't touched this set in 30 years and put it together last night. So glad my folks boxed this stuff up and forgot about it. Only missing 3 chairs and one railing (the front of the monorail)...had to improvise. I think I have a few more sets I'll take a crack at. Sorry for the terrible iPhone pics....

IMG_5825.jpg

IMG_5826.jpg

IMG_5832.jpg

...and I'm hooked again.

SmokyDave

Thanks again! For all the parents out there, never throw away your kids Lego! I hadn't touched this set in 30 years and put it together last night. So glad my folks boxed this stuff up and forgot about it. Only missing 3 chairs and one railing (the front of the monorail)...had to improvise. I think I have a few more sets I'll take a crack at. Sorry for the terrible iPhone pics....

(Snipped awesome pics)

...and I'm hooked again.

Ah man, that's great!

It's like seeing an Austin-Healey 3000 pulled out of a hedge and then restored. What was old is new again. Good luck with your new obsession!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
@PalaceBrother That is a REALLY sweet set. I'm actually quite fond of that sticker on the inside wall, too. That little display definitely has a cool "remote space station" feel to it!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kind of refreshing to see a space set with a nice recreation area for the figures. Most later space bases were space ports or weird research labs. Spacemen need a tea break too.

For all the parents out there, never throw away your kids Lego!

Side note: never let your grandchildren dip into your kid's old Lego collection. That way when your child (ME) comes back to reclaim them, he wont be missing things like unique base plates and the body pieces for his old pirate ship.

Actually, I think the most disturbing thing is that almost all the mini figures had been decapitated.

Built by Y-Wing last night. This is freaking amazing! Only issue is I accidently dropped one of the stickers on the manual and tore a good amount of color from 1 page. Is the entire set worthless now?

Shuttle comes in tomorrow. Holy shit I am so excited.

oracrest

IMG_5825.jpg

...and I'm hooked again.

Man, I had totally forgotten about that crater base piece for the space sets :)

Man I don't even want to think about how many perfectly good sets and boxes full of LEGO buried in people's basements that they don't realize are valuable and will just get thrown away some day. :(

Man I don't even want to think about how many perfectly good sets and boxes full of LEGO buried in people's basements that they don't realize are valuable and will just get thrown away some day. :(

I still hold a grudge over my female cousins for ruining my castle and undersea base.

I mean, I love them and all, but I still have that card to play.

Better not think about all those LEGO sets that have been thrown away and are at land fills.

XShagrath

And also better not to think about the giant box of LEGO (I'm talking 3'x2'x2' or so) that I sold at a garage sale to get money to buy fuckin' Mario Paint when I was like 14.

Almost enough to make me cry.

chidrock

who here has display cases? Thinking to maybe just use some shelves in the spare room which can double up for books/kids toys etc. But glass cabinets are tempting too.

I've been looking into acrylic cases to put over the pieces, but that's pretty pricey. It seems like the best option, but it would be over $200 to have one custom made to fit my Death Star. (it looks really nice at the Lego store under glass)

With glass display cabinets you'll still have to worry about dust unless you tape up the doors or something lol

chidrock

That's a great price...was it new or used with the box? (if you don't mind answering)

Wolfe

That mini pet shop looks cool, I think I'll pick up the mini modulars and try my hand at making that one as well come march.

ghostmind

Man, I had totally forgotten about that crater base piece for the space sets :)

I loved those crater base plates - they were the jumping point for a lot of imaginative builds when i was a youngster.

LEGO needs to bring back a limited-run "Classics" line of a few iconic sets.

How good a value does a lego set keep if it doesn't have it's box? Got a deal for a rare set without box, it's complete with original manual. Assume many fans don't care though I just would have to resell if I ever did obviously at a decent discount.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How good a value does a lego set keep if it doesn't have it's box? Got a deal for a rare set without box, it's complete with original manual. Assume many fans don't care though I just would have to resell if I ever did obviously at a decent discount.

You can get ~70-80% with no problem, especially with the manual. Checking bricklink, though, is your best bet for pricing. Used/no box/complete/etc is pretty readily available for price comparison on there.

Zoibie

Saw this on Flickr, thought it was cool. LEGO Citadel!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3230/4646877760_73819cb7e2_b.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

The Reapers from ME look like they would be pretty fun to build. So would the Normandy, if the model was big enough to accommodate multiple floors.

Would have some interesting minifigs too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom