• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were you I would do the ship first, bases never really appealed to me as much.

Also, why does that base have an upside down Triforce on it?

That was the blacktron logo. Oddly not all the ships had it.

Most of the Blacktron sets did have it:
6894-1.jpg

6941-1.jpg

6954-1.jpg

Of all the OG Blacktron stuff, only the Alienator didn't have it:
6876-1.jpg

Man, love those mini figures too. Weren't the Blacktron mini figures the first ones to feature a visor on the helmets?

Also, CT tax refund showed up today. Imperial Shuttle (and maybe SSD if I am feeling saucy) HERE I COME!

MrDaravon

Unnumbered bags are the best. Makes the build more challenging. The Imperial Flagship (boat) was extremely fun. No two parts from any given step were in the same bag.

Numbered bags are for wimps.

I totally agree, I was just surprised. I've only built a couple sets though, but the big one (1000+ pieces) had numbered bags, so I would have assumed a set of any reasonable size would do that.

I've never been a part of LEGO-Gaf, and haven't built a set since I was a little kid, but I've had this Yoda sitting in storage for like 10 years and I've finally got the bug.

51JHMQWJZML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Building it this weekend and I just ordered this X-Wing from Amazon.

51KbSN-atmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Is there a place I can go to check upcoming LEGO Star Wars releases? Are they even planning to make any more sets? I want a Star Destroyer but it's $370 on Amazon and apparently that's because it's out of print...

XShagrath

Yeah, it's a pipe dream for an AFOL. =)

Actually, I take more issue with the small size of the store. It gets cramped very quickly. It would be far more comfortable if they doubled the size, but I imagine that kind of mall space would be expensive.
You should see my store. It's at Downtown Disney in Orlando. Every time I've been in there, it's just been absolutely ridiculous. If you want to buy something, you're probably in line for 10-15 minutes, minimum.

woodypop

You should see my store. It's at Downtown Disney in Orlando. Every time I've been in there, it's just been absolutely ridiculous. If you want to buy something, you're probably in line for 10-15 minutes, minimum.
Heh, the first LEGO store I went to was at Downtown Disney in Anaheim last year. Comparatively nice and spacious. But it was late in the evening. I imagine it's probably a lot more bustling during the afternoons.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Heh, the first LEGO store I went to was at Downtown Disney in Anaheim last year. Comparatively nice and spacious. But it was late in the evening. I imagine it's probably a lot more bustling during the afternoons.

First set I bought was also at Downtown Disney (in Orlando). It was just before Christmas, so people were spending upwards of $2k on sets. It was nuts.

jtkauff

Is there a place I can go to check upcoming LEGO Star Wars releases? Are they even planning to make any more sets? I want a Star Destroyer but it's $370 on Amazon and apparently that's because it's out of print...

There's also Brickset, which gives you a nice visual view of the sets: 2012 LEGO Star Wars. And also they just announced that the Star Wars license had been renewed for another 10 years, so there will be plenty coming out in the future.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just what I was looking for, thanks! Too bad there's no Star Destroyer on the horizon :(

A 10 year renewal of the license means I think there is a good chance of a new UCS star destroyer and millenium falcon, even better than before.

At least if I tell myself that I might be less tempted to buy the current ones...

Dynoro

Just grabbed the X-Wing and I'm really impressed how they engineered the nose and the wings using fairly standard parts - thoroughly recommend it to anyone that's on the fence over it. Now off to the Lego store tomorrow to see what's next to build

Wolfe

The Luke's Landspeeder set is from 2010 I think. The C-3PO in the picture is from the droid escape set and it's definitely more detailed than the one that came with the Landspeeder. I can take a picture of them side by side if you'd like.

If you don't mind I'd like to see that, I have the landspeeder set and noticed instantly that something was different about the paint app on that C-3PO.

Just got back from the LEGO Store where I picked up the Lighthouse Creator set. Took the time to signup for the VIP program while there and was happy to learn that this set was giving 50 extra points this month.

6892495695_c071bd0962_b.jpg

Just grabbed the X-Wing and I'm really impressed how they engineered the nose and the wings using fairly standard parts - thoroughly recommend it to anyone that's on the fence over it. Now off to the Lego store tomorrow to see what's next to build
Ya, I just did the first part last night before bed and am loving it so far. Can't wait to finish the rest this weekend.

But my first impression after opening it was: stickers were bent up and I'll need to order replacement, and there was a small roach crawling around on the instructions.

Thankfully the awesomeness of the build made me look past that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I kind of wish Lego made a back to basics space set like they did with the castle theme. I guess the Star Wars license prevents that though.

I have to run out to get a haircut, but the Lighthouse has been fun to build so far. I did not realize the one wall swung open for easy access to the inside.

6892751755_6430349b01_b.jpg

Dynoro

Ya, I just did the first part last night before bed and am loving it so far. Can't wait to finish the rest this weekend.

But my first impression after opening it was: stickers were bent up and I'll need to order replacement, and there was a small roach crawling around on the instructions.

Shame that the contents were in a bad way; hopefully Lego get you some replacements quick. I would check that the elastic bands are okay btw - they are in the last bag

GAF, would you be interested in getting hourly photo updates as I build my shuttle?
Definitely - sounds like the build is quite complex; so should make a nice set of updates

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Unnumbered bags are the best. Makes the build more challenging. The Imperial Flagship (boat) was extremely fun. No two parts from any given step were in the same bag.

screw that. When you have over 10 bags, and they all get opened within a couple of pages of starting, thats just a pain in the arse.

If you have enough space to unpack and sort all your pieces (kind of like they're doing on tested.com) then fine. But if you have to keep the pieces in the bags then its very unwieldy.

VW camper was annoying at the start because of that. I have limited space available to me and need to clear up at the end of a session (dining table)

Wolfe

Did you buy that set from a guy in an alley or something? :p

Spocker

I find both numbered bags and sorting in general takes away from my experience when building from instructions. The hunt for that elusive piece you need at the moment is half the enjoyment for me. The build would be way to fast if I sorted the pieces beforehand.
The Creator plane with 500+ pieces took just 1,5-2 hours to build, and would probably gone a lot faster if I sorted the pieces. All bags emptied in a big pile on a table is my melody. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom