• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Thread

KKRT00

You can only carry two shots, in gold you would be swarmed with big enemies

Not really, you get upgrades from packs to amount you can carry of consumables. I can carry currently 5 cobras, 5 revives, 4 ammo boxes, 3 heals per match, and i dont even use cobras most of my time on Gold.

Tried this properly with my friend last night. The matchmaking seems terrible. We really struggled to get anyone else to join a game on xb1 until eventually we hosted one where people suddenly joined a few minutes into the match.

Is there some trick to it? Nobody seems to join when in the lobby.
Check my post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232915826&postcount=580

---

Ps. I think that prestige's reset should increase rank level of your characters, this would make grinding Ultra rares way easier.

Garland7G

Tried this properly with my friend last night. The matchmaking seems terrible. We really struggled to get anyone else to join a game on xb1 until eventually we hosted one where people suddenly joined a few minutes into the match.

The lobbies are broke, but you seem to have found a trick ;)

oneils

Matchmaking prioritises games already in progress. My guess is lots of people start their match before the lobby is full and the game then works to match them with players, putting lobbies that are missing players at the bottom of the list.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The decision to allocate skill points to random cards is just probably the stupidest ever; it really makes it a lot harder to use Rare/Ultra-Rares when you can comparatively upgrade the common/uncommon characters much easier, and it's not like the latter is inferior to the former too, only different skillsets.

The ME3's system is perfect, urgh :(

Leyasu

Banned
The decision to allocate skill points to random cards is just probably the stupidest ever; it really makes it a lot harder to use Rare/Ultra-Rares when you can comparatively upgrade the common/uncommon characters much easier, and it's not like the latter is inferior to the former too, only different skillsets.

The ME3's system is perfect, urgh :(

How do you do that? Sorry for the stupid question

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
How do you do that? Sorry for the stupid question

He's talking about ME:A's system of putting skill points in loot boxes (character cards I to X).

Yep.

At least if they want to use that system, the character cards should not be tied to the rarity of the characters themselves. Once you unlock an Ultra-Rare character, for example, their successive cards should be turned down to at least Uncommon, so they can be upgraded with the same pace as the Common/Uncommon characters.

It's just way too punishing, and really only made this way to support their microtransaction routines, bleh :/

Leyasu

Banned
Yep.

At least if they want to use that system, the character cards should not be tied to the rarity of the characters themselves. Once you unlock an Ultra-Rare character, for example, their successive cards should be turned down to at least Uncommon, so they can be upgraded with the same pace as the Common/Uncommon characters.

It's just way too punishing, and really only made this way to support their microtransaction routines, bleh :/

Gotcha. Thanks.

Hopefully I will get back on this tonight.

Whales

Banned
This would make the game so trivial.
They need to boost weapons definitely and maybe some powers, but not by those values across the board.

Cobra is fine, you have 20+ of them per match to use if you want. You need 2 cobras to kill the heaviest enemies.

at this point when I do a biotic explosion on a berserker on gold I can BARELY see his HP going down

Its really not satisfying at all

maybe my values are too high, but biotic combos need a 50% increase at the very least. Even if you fully spec into detonation damage they still hit like shit and do less damage than a melee attack...

and cobras should be used as a "oh shit we are getting swarmed on the objective need to get these dudes out of my face" but since they dont kill the armored dudes in one hit.. theyre nearly useless. In me3 they one shot everything and the balance was fine... make them not give any points like in me3 so it doesnt count towards the wave points and make them one shot everything again

Snagret

Yep.

I kind of like the idea some have thrown around that when you "prestige" a character is upgrades their rank, but at the same time leveling characters feels super slow right now.

Mindlog

Slightly annoying: The old problem of having an enormous surplus of thermal clips is back. Buying a supply back to basically get 1 First Aid or Revive pack was already old.

That aside I'm not to worried about damage buffs. Getting comfortable in Gold already.

I really hope they do something about reloading. The current setup basically means I'm twiddling my thumbs an extra beat or two hoping I reloaded instead of being back in the action as soon as I see the number pop up on my weapon.

Cat Party

Slightly annoying: The old problem of having an enormous surplus of thermal clips is back. Buying a supply back to basically get 1 First Aid or Revive pack was already old.

That aside I'm not to worried about damage buffs. Getting comfortable in Gold already.

I really hope they do something about reloading. The current setup basically means I'm twiddling my thumbs an extra beat or two hoping I reloading instead of being back in the action as soon as I see the number pop up on my weapon.
What are you using in Gold?

Snagret

I really hope they do something about reloading. The current setup basically means I'm twiddling my thumbs an extra beat or two hoping I reloading instead of being back in the action as soon as I see the number pop up on my weapon.
I find myself getting caught in this cycle a lot:
Empty a clip into an enemy->They don't die, finish them off with a power, interrupting my reload->Get flanked by another enemy, run or dash for cover, interrupting my reload->Turn around to engage enemy, realize I don't have any ammo loaded->cooldowns are up, use powers to defend myself, interrupting my reload->Run up and finish enemy with melee, interrupting my reload->Get flanked again, run for cover, interrupting my reload->Turn around to engage, realize I don't have ammo, cooldowns are up, use powers etc etc etc

It's made even worse because certain weapons don't actually seem to really reload until a second after the animation seemingly finishes. I gave up on the Disciple because it was so wonky in this regard. Such an odd design choice, when so much of the combat focuses on mobility and active engagement, the moments where you're having to hunker down to let your gun completely reload really stick out like a sore thumb.

There's so much to complain about, but at the end of the day I'm still kinda having fun with it. ME3 filled a very specific hole on my multiplayer gaming heart that hasn't really been filled by any other games since. MEA is scratching that itch. The flaws are glaring but, aside from the glitches, it's more like "death by a thousand cuts" than "man this whole thing is just a broken mess from top to bottom". I have a vision of this multiplayer where a lot of these issues are addressed, and I'm really hopeful they'll get there some day.

KKRT00

at this point when I do a biotic explosion on a berserker on gold I can BARELY see his HP going down

maybe my values are too high, but biotic combos need a 50% increase at the very least. Even if you fully spec into detonation damage they still hit like shit and do less damage than a melee attack...

and cobras should be used as a "oh shit we are getting swarmed on the objective need to get these dudes out of my face" but since they dont kill the armored dudes in one hit.. theyre nearly useless. In me3 they one shot everything and the balance was fine... make them not give any points like in me3 so it doesnt count towards the wave points and make them one shot everything again

I agree that they should boost damage, but not by a lot, maybe for some weapons, but generally 30% baseline boost would be enough for everything power related.
Remember that there will be equipment also for bionic damage and there are boosters, they cant boost baseline too high.

Going with Lance example from my Asari Adept:
Base damage is 320, after all upgrades that gives +105% and bonus from annihilation field to should deal 787 damage.
If we assume that Equipment slot will increase damage by 35% than the final damage is 921.
If we boost base damage by +30% than we final damage with equipment will be 1198, which is almost 2x more than we currently have.
My counting also takes combo damage modifier as biotic power modifier, because i do not know what the bonus from combo is, so the damage is probably even higher, closer to real 2x.
Additionally i think that booster bonuses should be multiplicative, not additive.

I still think Cobra is in 100% fine spot right now.

What i think they need to change is enemies damage or characters HP, how enemies tracking and how easy they can be staggered.

Currently Asari Adept loses almost 70% shield from ONE Raider in about 1.5 second, which is bonkers
Just watch this short video to see how annoying it is. Enemies do not lose track of you, they instantly fire and practically hit 100% of the shots in full movement, with their damage is just stupid. Asari here has 426 shield HP, thats +65% of base shield.
https://youtu.be/j8dAspPmZZ4

Just to be clear, those are simpliest enemies and you clearly see what they are doing due end of match highlight, in battle with a lot of them its just crazy.
Also who really thought that regenerating only to half health is good idea. I know that this was already in ME 3, but this is just stupid design, especially with so high damage, hit scan enemies. You are basically never above 50% after first round, unless you heal or are class that has higher threshold.

DesertFox

I have a question about how +XX% max shields is calculated.

My Asari Adept is currently reporting 388 shields increased from the base of 275 with the following skills:

Juggernaut Shield +10%
Barrier Rank 1 +25%
Unyielding Barrier +30%

But for a total of +65% to max shields, I should be seeing 454 as my shield value. How is the shield calculated? Is a portion of this going to an invisible "Barrier" attribute? I always assumed the Barrier on an adept was synonymous with shield, displaying the purple bar instead.

If that's the case, then it still doesn't make sense. If I use the only pure shield boost with the Juggernaut Shield that would give me 303. Jugg + Unyielding gets close at 385... can't figure out the math to arrive at 388. What am I missing?

Xevren

I've been trying my best to get some of the ultra rare classes but still no luck. Really want to try out the duelist or the avenger :(

Asari Huntress is fun, first time messing with stealth grid and that skill is godlike. Visual bug for it is kinda annoying though.

What are you using in Gold?

Vanguard's are self sufficient and what you'll see a lot. Asari adapt for annihilation field and tons of combos is insane. I regularly score 20-25k in gold matches with my asari adapt and steamroll it. Also using juggernaut shield and the equalizer. Add any ammo mod and you just detonate off everything whether close or at a distance.

Turian soldiers with an vanquisher because of the weapon overcharge ability is also insane.

Any class with shield boost and low CD's. Angaran or salarian operative also incredible.

I've been managing to do gold's in like 15 minutes even with a team of level 5-10 though frequently as long as people are willing to stick together and establish kill zones.

Last tip, firebase sandstorm and outlaw is by fire the easiest grindable gold of you're looking to farm.

Anyone know if 2 person party match making is fixed yet on ps4? My brother and I could not get ppl to fill the last 2 spots of our party at all this weekend

Xevren

Anyone know if 2 person party match making is fixed yet on ps4? My brother and I could not get ppl to fill the last 2 spots of our party at all this weekend

Very hit or miss. I've had it work a couple times but more often than not it doesn't work.

Mindlog

There's a Strike Team mission available that's +100% Combo Damage and +50% radius.
It's pretty great.

If base damage was increased significantly these modifiers would have to be changed.

Whales

Banned
I agree that they should boost damage, but not by a lot, maybe for some weapons, but generally 30% baseline boost would be enough for everything power related.
Remember that there will be equipment also for bionic damage and there are boosters, they cant boost baseline too high.

Going with Lance example from my Asari Adept:
Base damage is 320, after all upgrades that gives +105% and bonus from annihilation field to should deal 787 damage.
If we assume that Equipment slot will increase damage by 35% than the final damage is 921.
If we boost base damage by +30% than we final damage with equipment will be 1198, which is almost 2x more than we currently have.
My counting also takes combo damage modifier as biotic power modifier, because i do not know what the bonus from combo is, so the damage is probably even higher, closer to real 2x.
Additionally i think that booster bonuses should be multiplicative, not additive.

I still think Cobra is in 100% fine spot right now.

What i think they need to change is enemies damage or characters HP, how enemies tracking and how easy they can be staggered.

Currently Asari Adept loses almost 70% shield from ONE Raider in about 1.5 second, which is bonkers
Just watch this short video to see how annoying it is. Enemies do not lose track of you, they instantly fire and practically hit 100% of the shots in full movement, with their damage is just stupid. Asari here has 426 shield HP, thats +65% of base shield.
https://youtu.be/j8dAspPmZZ4

Just to be clear, those are simpliest enemies and you clearly see what they are doing due end of match highlight, in battle with a lot of them its just crazy.
Also who really thought that regenerating only to half health is good idea. I know that this was already in ME 3, but this is just stupid design, especially with so high damage, hit scan enemies. You are basically never above 50% after first round, unless you heal or are class that has higher threshold.

What they could do is make the equipment give out less damage bonus and make the powers stronger to compensate

I hear dthat the maximum rank equipment gives a 75% bonus? Which is nuts, its too much. If we nerf that and boost our power damage instead, the game will be more balanced ( because you wont need the equipment to be able to actually do decent damage, they just act as a ''bonus'' to make you finish and grind faster)

Even in ME3, the accuracy from enemies was like this. Dashing was useless except if you were dashing to get into cover. This is why I actually consider the mooks scarier than the big guys, they can break your shield very quickly and then just gun you down too. Heavy one hitters are not nearly as scary because all they can do is break your shield ( and you take no more damage from that due to shieldgate) and they take a bit of time to recharge their weapon, giving you ample time to get in cover or just run away.. Meanwhile, mooks shoot you, get you to shieldgate, then keep firing which goes straight to your HP.

For the HP regen thing, at least there are ''universal'' powers you can level up, and it includes one that boosts the base regen. Its super grindy tho, which is shit.

Bombless

This weekend the Kett are receiving another boss type in MP. It's apparently a story spoiler (but I had more or less deduced it already from a mix of informations available ingame, this simply confirms it).

Big Nikus

This weekend the Kett are receiving another boss type in MP. It's apparently a story spoiler (but I had more or less deduced it already from a mix of informations available ingame, this simply confirms it).

Is it an enemy that appears really late in the game ?

Neolombax

I really need a better Assault Rifle...I've been getting a lot of shotguns and sniper rilfes...

It takes a whole clip to down a single enemy...its becoming frustrating

eh, only being a 7 round game, you can panic button 10 big foes throughout if your team cooporates, i don't think the cobra thing is too bad

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really need a better Assault Rifle...I've been getting a lot of shotguns and sniper rilfes...

It takes a whole clip to down a single enemy...its becoming frustrating
The only good AR is that Raptor... which hilariously, is actually a SR. Go figure.

Bombless

The only good AR is that Raptor... which hilariously, is actually a SR. Go figure.

This.

At least with the stuff I've unlocked so far. Hoping the Revenant will be good this time.

The Raptor is amazing : does tons of damage, fires fast and since it has more than one bullet in the mag it synergises with the turbocharge and passives of soldiers. It really is the best assault rifle, at ful spec it's pretty much a laser.

Top Bottom