• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Thread

Vamphuntr

There was a multiplayer stream today put on by Bioware. The results were ...unfortunate.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/132247286?t=05m59s

• In the stream they say that weapons are weak because you must have it at level 1 and you should level it up (26:50 in the video). Meanwhile the dev and another player are playing ultra-rare melee characters and meleeing everything, and another is using the Vanquisher.
  • No new equipment this week - thats fine as it allows folks to save up for the ones this week as I bet many bought squad equipment not knowing how it all works.
  • Devs mention a Reddit post about the Apex mission where combo powers were increased by 100%, but miss the point that the thread is about how they are still weak even with twice as much damage (https://www.reddit.com/r/MECoOp/comments/62bqa5/played_the_100_detonation_bonus_gold_apex/)
  • Devs play through the advertised mission a few times before realizing its bugged and the "boss" doesn't appear. Cut stream.
  • Devs advertise a product tie-in where if you buy a wireless mouse you get an in-game weapon, however it seems the weapon doesn't currently exist in the game despite what the dev says (28:35).

So you need to grind a lot to make it more fun. The buggy map is kind of embarrassing.

I'm having crashes to PS4 home every single match. It's infuriating as it only seems to happen towards the end of the match.

Anyone else having this issue?
Yes. 4 matches last night and one today, crashed in wave 5 or later. Got booted out post-extraction once as well.

Things were really smooth for me Sunday and Monday. Was hoping they got the issues ironed out but obviously not.

Snagret

So you need to grind a lot to make it more fun. The buggy map is kind of embarrassing.
Which isn't even true. Even at max level there's a huge power disparity between weapons. The weapon balance is busted right now, straight up. If they can't admit even that when it comes time to patch the multiplayer I might be done with the game once I finish the SP. The combat is fun, but the further along you get and the more you unlock, it only becomes more and more obvious how poorly tuned weapon, power, and combo damages are.

I had a curious instance earlier where I got the "crash to desktop" bug happen about 45 seconds into a match. I restart the game, queued up for a match, and ended up being put back into the same game I got booted from. I load into the map, play for 45 seconds, get booted to the desktop again. Restart the game, queue up, different group, works perfectly. Really odd that the crash to desktop is essentially a recreatable bug, which seems to be that the game just doesn't like it when certain players are connected to one another.

FUME5

The Asari Duelist specced for melee damage is brutal.

Also, I suggest getting the Apex HQ app for your phone so you can send out strike teams at any time and stack those mission points.

Jamaro85

The Asari Duelist specced for melee damage is brutal.

Also, I suggest getting the Apex HQ app for your phone so you can send out strike teams at any time and stack those mission points.

Yep. Been at it for like three days and have the thermal clip storage and juggernaut shield. I really don't mind if this is the way they'll force us to get equipment as it doesn't take much effort, and it only becomes easier the further you go as your strike teams level.

CLBridges

My Turian Soldier makes gold so smooth. Specced out turboshot with either disruptor or incendiary rounds, everything goes down. Revenant is doing it's job but once I get an even better AR, cake baby.

Jamaro85

So it seems that melee builds are OP, but for those doing gold, you guys do at least have pretty good weapons right? I can't see myself going into a gold game with the crap ass weapons I have, even with a well specced melee build with juggernaut.

Speaking of melee builds, how viable is the asari adept for melee? Having that 30% shield restoration with kills in annihilation range in addition to 20% shield restoration for melee seems a bit broken.

Is it me, or did they remove player shield-gate? It seems like you get dropped way too quickly after losing your shields.

So it seems that melee builds are OP, but for those doing gold, you guys do at least have pretty good weapons right? I can't see myself going into a gold game with the crap ass weapons I have, even with a well specced melee build with juggernaut.

Speaking of melee builds, how viable is the asari adept for melee? Having that 30% shield restoration with kills in annihilation range in addition to 20% shield restoration for melee seems a bit broken.

It's actually really easy to run a human vanguard even with terrible weapons. I can go to gold with just a katana x on my human vanguard and still top the scoreboard every match, provided it's not the kett I'm fighting (melee against kett is an exercise in frustration). You'll only ever use guns to bring the shields down observers, but melee combined with charge and nova can deal with everything else easily.

ScrubJay

Very disappointed in this. The lag is horrendous, the weapons are weak, the jumpjetting is very cludgy and the camera is zoomed in way too much on your character (ME3 was a good 6-7 feet away from your character). I crash to the main menu doing minor stuff like assigning strike teams and changing weapon mods.

Unlike others, I am enjoying the single player instead.

yeah with vanguards you don't need weapons for shit on gold lol, buy out all the basic packs, i'm doing advance packs and i'm like 66%ish done and honestly they're very underwhelming, mostly good for the characters that get to X and the mods but! The mods don't drop until the pool is almost empty! so it's a huge investment. honestly swinging for a few golds isn't a bad idea if you need a weapon. even a I weapon that's good is still good. an X crap weapon is still crap bc this team just can't balance anything? v strange considering how well ME3 ended up that they're basically back at square 1 again

the jumpjetting is very cludgy and the camera is zoomed in way too much on your character (ME3 was a good 6-7 feet away from your character).

I think the jetpack mobility is the best thing about the multiplayer. I love the freedom. Its not much fun in a laggy game I guess.
I agree with you about the camera though. Its too damn close to the player.

I crash to the main menu doing minor stuff like assigning strike teams and changing weapon mods.

I noticed some of those strike missions would disconnect me from the EA server EVERY time I tried to assign them to one of my teams. I can only hope this buggy multiplayer will be straightened out eventually.

LogicStep

In gold, you can 1 shot the boss mobs with cobra if you hit them on the weak spot.

Not sure if that was common knowledge so I wanted to share.

Madness

Wtf is up with these servers. Starting matches 2 down when all 4 clicked ready. Then you have host change issues. Ended up being last one left so had to quit.

Hyun Sai

There was a multiplayer stream today put on by Bioware. The results were ...unfortunate.

• In the stream they say that weapons are weak because you must have it at level 1 and you should level it up (26:50 in the video). Meanwhile the dev and another player are playing ultra-rare melee characters and meleeing everything, and another is using the Vanquisher.
  • No new equipment this week - thats fine as it allows folks to save up for the ones this week as I bet many bought squad equipment not knowing how it all works.
  • Devs mention a Reddit post about the Apex mission where combo powers were increased by 100%, but miss the point that the thread is about how they are still weak even with twice as much damage (https://www.reddit.com/r/MECoOp/comments/62bqa5/played_the_100_detonation_bonus_gold_apex/)
  • Devs play through the advertised mission a few times before realizing its bugged and the "boss" doesn't appear. Cut stream.
  • Devs advertise a product tie-in where if you buy a wireless mouse you get an in-game weapon, however it seems the weapon doesn't currently exist in the game despite what the dev says (28:35).

All hope is lost. Seems like MP will not be enough for me to buy this despite all those hours poured in ME3...

Jamaro85

It's actually really easy to run a human vanguard even with terrible weapons. I can go to gold with just a katana x on my human vanguard and still top the scoreboard every match, provided it's not the kett I'm fighting (melee against kett is an exercise in frustration). You'll only ever use guns to bring the shields down observers, but melee combined with charge and nova can deal with everything else easily.

yeah with vanguards you don't need weapons for shit on gold lol, buy out all the basic packs, i'm doing advance packs and i'm like 66%ish done and honestly they're very underwhelming, mostly good for the characters that get to X and the mods but! The mods don't drop until the pool is almost empty! so it's a huge investment. honestly swinging for a few golds isn't a bad idea if you need a weapon. even a I weapon that's good is still good. an X crap weapon is still crap bc this team just can't balance anything? v strange considering how well ME3 ended up that they're basically back at square 1 again

I see. How are you guys speccing the human vanguard?

Snagret

I see. How are you guys speccing the human vanguard?
Charge and Barrier Passive are your most crucial skills. For charge, you want to spec into damage, recharge speed, and increased barrier recovery. For Barrier, you'll want to go for any upgrade that relates to melee attacks, and for the final upgrade grab the one that recharges your shields every 10s you take damage below a certain health threshold.

Any other points are up to you. I personally wouldn't bother putting any points into Shockwave, even with it maxed out it never really hit hard enough or had the range to really be useful in your basic rotation, which should really just be Charge->Nova->Melee->Melee->Charge repeat.

For weapons, I'm rolling with the Charger right now as I find it outperforms the Assault Rifles I have, does more damage per clip than shotguns, and reloads fast enough that you won't find yourself having to constantly interrupt your reload animation. It's also got decent range for taking care of enemies like Observers, it's fairly easy to get to rank X, and the most common mod for pistols is the increased melee attack one, which you'll also want to throw on. For my secondary I'm using a Phalanx just in case I get in a tight spot and run out of ammo on the charger, and you can equip both without increasing your power recharge speed.

Mindlog

On Vanguard I like Shockwave for the quick explosions. They don't do much damage, but between Nova, Disruptor Ammo and your teammates you can be a constant explosion machine. That's a decent supplementary source of damage. I have my most fun when I'm using all of my abilities, shooting, punching, dashing and dodging at once.

I have charge 4A (damage,) but 4B (radius) is well worth considering. Damage lets you stagger bigger enemies and send smaller ones into orbit. However, this isn't always helpful as you want enemies on you so you can replenish your shields.

Does anyone know the Hydra's OHK tells? I feel like I play too safe around those things.

Ratros

All hope is lost. Seems like MP will not be enough for me to buy this despite all those hours poured in ME3...

Same here.

I decided to put off purchasing this game for some personal reasons, and have been watching live streams/recordings of multiplayer games online ever since to keep my hype going. It surprises me a lot that everyone in those video seems to rely heavily on melee, even those supposedly combos-reliant builds/characters. Weapons are weak, combos are weak and the only thing matters is jumping around and punching out while you can. Vanguards seem to be much more popular (and useful) compared with other characters as well. Not that it is a bad thing, however setting off biotic combos is one of the most pleasant experiences I have in Mass Effect 3 and I do hope it is not essentially nullified.

I didn't complain earlier because I thought maybe it is because I was merely judging based on second-hand opinions; now I have seen the post above and everything seems to be real :(

Do they have any plan to balance things out? Or should I start waiting for Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered Edition w/ Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer now?

Snagret

Same here.

I decided to put off purchasing this game for some personal reasons, and have been watching live streams/recordings of multiplayer games online ever since to keep my hype going. It surprises me a lot that everyone in those video seems to rely heavily on melee, even those supposedly combos-reliant builds/characters. Weapons are weak, combos are weak and the only thing matters is jumping around and punching out while you can. Vanguards seem to be much more popular (and useful) compared with other characters as well. Not that it is a bad thing, however setting off biotic combos is one of the most pleasant experiences I have in Mass Effect 3 and I do hope it is not nullified.

I didn't complain earlier because I thought maybe it is because I was merely judging based on second-hand opinions; now I have seen the post above and everything seems to be real :(

Do they have any plan to balance things out? Or should I start waiting for Mass Effect Trilogy Remasted Edition w/ Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer now?
To be fair, in that stream they also mentioned they weren't going to talk about balance changes. They announced a patch (Bioware in general, not those guys on the stream) that they will detail on the 4th, but it's unclear what the patch will fix and if multiplayer is even a part of it. At this point it could go either way.

Bombless

There's no shortage of problems in MP, yeah. It's a bit early to call it over though. I'm guessing fixing the SP will take priority however.

Only got credit for 1 out of 8 games today. I either hard crashed late into the game or lost connection to the server after extraction, getting zero credit despite completing the match.

Absolutely brutal.

There's no shortage of problems in MP, yeah. It's a bit early to call it over though. I'm guessing fixing the SP will take priority however.

Im expecting them to fix the MP first because they can still make more money on that from the microtransactions.

Watching the stream and wow that was a fuck up. blowing off weapon issues by saying "you must not have high enough levels of the weapon" and not having the new enemy show up which was part of the point of the stream.

Jblanks

Don't really think they'll be fixing the crazy grind in MP though..

Also trying to find 2 other players while me and someone are partied up is impossible, we waited for 30-40 minutes 2 nights in a row and nothing; I just don't understand how so many problems slipped through.

MP is weird. When I'm playing and shortly after calling it a night I'm usually hung up on the issues. But once I've gotten some sleep I'm usually looking forward to playing more after work. I think there's enough there to make me hopeful for what it could be.

MAX PAYMENT

How do you see the difficulty? I join MP from the strike team menu in SP to do the missions i need.

However the mp match ends up being so brutal I can barely stay alive and we all fail.

i only put 3 into barriers for my hu guard, with 5 in shockwave. barrier is really powerful but since i have bastion it's hard for me to die anyway and i find melee really, really boring, despite it being insanely OP. 6 in barrier is better i'm sure but i just have more fun with shockwave at 5 and i melt gold anyway so i don't see the point. charge > nova (prime) > Shockwave (explosion) > charge etc, not too much gunplay involved really

I probably should've ask this here and not the other thread. Can any PC players confirm controller support for the multiplayer?

How do you see the difficulty? I join MP from the strike team menu in SP to do the missions i need.

However the mp match ends up being so brutal I can barely stay alive and we all fail.

If I'm remembering it right (and I'm not in game, so forgive me if this is inaccurate) there should be three pictures in the middle of the screen, with the selector on the left, and the description on the right. The three pictures are the level it's on in the center, the enemies you fight on the right, and the difficulty it is on the left. The description will key in to the modifiers in place.

nowarning

Seems to have been a lot better for me on PC in the past few days, maybe just being lucky but it's genuinely been about as good connection wise as ME3 ever was.

Got put into a hacked/modded gold lobby last night, first round was normal but then next round I had infinite ammo, no cool down on abilities and infinite shield. Was OK for a one off, in a game this grindy I'm not gonna say no to the free credits.

Big Nikus

Seems to have been a lot better for me on PC in the past few days, maybe just being lucky but it's genuinely been about as good connection wise as ME3 ever was.

Got put into a hacked/modded gold lobby last night, first round was normal but then next round I had infinite ammo, no cool down on abilities and infinite shield. Was OK for a one off, in a game this grindy I'm not gonna say no to the free credits.

I wish it happened to me in Andromeda. My step-brother got into a modded game on Mass Effect 3 a few weeks ago, and after the match he won millions of credits. I was jelly. I got into a modded party once in ME3, or maybe it was just a bug, but the textures were all missing, the map looked like some virtual reality stuff similar to the Tron aesthetic. That was pretty cool.

LogicStep

So far I only have a Human Infiltrator and Human Vanguard that I can easily do gold on. They both feel really damn strong. Easy to top the score board with these two. I don't really feel the weak with either one. But I'll be honest, the other classes, especially the biotic heavy ones don't really seem that great to me. I was leveling a human soldier and I might still take her up to 20 but she doesn't feel that great.

Don't really think they'll be fixing the crazy grind in MP though..

Also trying to find 2 other players while me and someone are partied up is impossible, we waited for 30-40 minutes 2 nights in a row and nothing; I just don't understand how so many problems slipped through.

I cant remember if I posted but a buddy and I would keep switching up the custom match attributes like map/enemy type, mission type, and eventually people would show up after a couple of minutes.

We found if you just sit there with the same config nobody ever seems to show up.

SGRX

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking when I tried out the ultra-rare ushior pistol at level I on bronze. I was thinking once I get this egregious piece of shit to level X in 400 hours or so, it will really shine!

Probably 75-80% of the weapons in the game range from needing work to hot garbage.

Snagret

Servers seem to be down? I've been having crazy lag this morning, just now I got kicked from the middle of a game and it won't reconnect even though my internet is up. (Edit: Nvm, it let me back in now)

Unlocked the Sidewinder. I think it's my favorite pistol so far but does anyone else find that it's really...buggy? I feel like my character is constantly repeating the reload animation even after the clip is loaded, and moreso than any other gun it seems like there's a really long delay between hitting an enemy and actually seeing that damage reflected on their health bar.

Top Bottom