• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

so Yosuke, the guy behind Nuclear War Now!, basically got a warehouse in East Oakland and will be moving all the label's stock from his garage (what a champ) to the new place. There's a 25% off sale going on for what should be at least a few weeks, so definitely check out the distro if you're a collector. The cool thing about this whole thing is that they'll also have a storefront. This will be the most satanic brick and mortar ever.

buy buy buy

This is awesome news. Finally a metal only focused store in the Bay Area. There hasn't been one here since Shaxul in SF closed years ago :(
I will be making the long drive every weekend when it opens. Thanks for the tip on the 25% sale, some pretty good deals!

Melchiah

Stumbled onto this on Facebook:
A Dying Fetus fan named Nick from Illinois recently passed away, and his wishes were to have his ashes scattered on stage at a Dying Fetus show, what do you think, should we do it?
We just scattered nicks ashes in the pit for his favourite song, homicidal retribution, may he RIP. Rest in the pit \m/

Thumbs up for honoring his last wishes.

Alright ya'll - the only metal site I usually check out on a regular basis is angrymetalguy.com, and the most recent edition of Record(s) o' the Month is on point.

hakenaffinity-500x500.jpg

With this, Haken have cemented themselves as the current king of prog metal. I'm hard pressed to think of another active band in the genre this damn unique and talented. Love 'em. Check out the song 1985 to get a sense of this album's glory. So. Damn. Tasty.

Also bonus points for an album cover that doesn't depict a winter forest/something grotesque/dragons, and realizes that green is a color that exists.

Moonsorrow-Jumalten-aika-300x300.jpg

Yeah son, here's some cash money for your ears. It's Moonsorrow! You know what you're getting, because it gives you exactly that. Half of this album is among my favorite material from the other band (and the other half is entertaining too).

SIGARTYR_Northen-300x300.jpg

I had never heard of these bloody musical warriors before this very article I'm writing about, but I gave their album two spins in a row today, and the assertion that they're a "modern day Bathory" is spot on. Excellent, excellent stuff.

Mistur-In-Memoriam-300x300.jpg

Sounds like the art looks!

April was a stellar month for metal indeed.

Great post. Every one is a significant recommendation. Mistur is a continuation of Windir, probably the best alongside Cor Scorpii.

Ok, Bandcamp question. I'm wanting to buy this Graveyard vinyl but it says email for shipping which I did. The reply mentions PayPal though. I was going to do the Bandcamp order to get the album plus mp3. So my question is, do I just put the shipping into the Bandcamp price or do a PayPal order? Seems like this should be more straightforward.

http://graveyardofdoom.bandcamp.com/album/for-thine-is-the-darkness

569955.jpg
From what I recall from prior orders, you put the amount you are paying for the album into Bandcamp. Paypal would add shipping. Looks like this has free shipping to the US though.

Alright, so back home, here's a summation.

Babymetal was great. Really really great performers that had people eating out of the palm of their hand. They gave it their all and were pouring sweat by the end of it. There was a small instrumental interlude where the band moved to the front and just wailed away, with each instrument taking a solo and holy shit their bassist and drummer are fucking good. Su-metal has a great voice live, though I do question some of the audio mixing cause sometimes her vocals were WAY too turned up. Also, the more power metal songs that I didn't particularly like from the second album are...really really good live. Mixed in with the regular songs they are different and separated enough to hit at good times. Just a good time, good set and they performed really well. Adorable.

Now the crowd was probably...well, being bad is probably unfair. But it was such a wide array of people that it just didn't seem to mesh very well. There were your people like me, metalheads who just like a lot of weird metal and stuff. Dudes like me and my friend who went to a Napalm Death/Melvins/Melt-banana show, he's going to Lamb of God next week and I'm going to Chelsea Wolfe. We were next to a dude in a Slayer shirt. Rocking out to the pre-music. Then you had the people who are really into Babymetal. Mainly young kids, teenagers who don't really go to metal shows even if they're into more teen metal bands like Bring Me The Horizon or...whatever teens listen to. But they do really like Babymetal, know the words (even if they don't know what they mean) so they're very happy and enthusiastic to be there. Then you have the people who came to Babymetal because they saw them on Youtube and thought they were funny. So they'll react to the one or two songs they heard and just kinda laugh at stuff and not really do anything while they play. Then you have the people who I don't understand who stand with their arms crossed and don't move or smile or anything. And that's not the people who enjoy seeing people play and just sort of watch and enjoy in their own way, because I do that too depending on who I'm seeing. I'm talking about people you can feel just aren't about it at all and just...are being pillars of joyless blockage to everyone else.

So basically the way it worked was the metalheads like me go crazy from the get go. We start jumping around, moving around the crowd, try to get a pit going for the harder parts. Things like that. At least in my section? This was impossible. There were so many people who just stood there and didn't move or would get annoyed at those of us really into the music and bouncing around. Which is fine, if you don't like enjoying music like that you're cool too. JUST DO IT NOT IN THE FUCKING PIT WHERE PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO ENJOY THEMSELVES. If I don't rock out while at a show I fucking move and let people jumping around enjoy themselves and stand at the edges or move to the front or somewhere I'm not actively hampering other people's enjoyment of a show. Not these people though. They stood right in the middle, unmoving and scoffing or giving irritated looks at anyone who dared brush against them. As a result, a lot of us kept knocking against a lot of people who refused to move or anything. Now, in the midst of this were the younger kids who didn't actually know what going to a show was like. So at first they were kinda scared or intimidated by everyone moving around, a bit put off by having people bump or mush into them. However after seeing us all not care and have a good time and bounce around and yell and everything they started to loosen up and join in. So by the end of it the people moshing around and throwing horns and everything were the old metalheads, the guys like me just having fun and the younger teenagers. While all this goes on we got a ton of people just glaring at these kids just trying to enjoy their first metal show or not moving and crushing them since most of the kids were short like me. I'm used to that shit, tall ass fucking dudes who stand there and are like "I'm 6'8" but I'll move directly in front of this short person and not move a muscle at all even if he keeps getting crushed up against me" It is what it is at metal shows. But there was a group of like...4 or 5 girls who were near me who kept trying to get into the show but every time they ran into these non-moving guys the dudes would just mush them up and they'd barely be able to do anything. So I kinda led myself over and maneuvered them to an area where more people were moving around and got them back into it. And as a result we all enjoyed ourselves a ton. Talked to them after to make sure they had fun and was like, alright, awesome, good shit. Got one of their numbers too, even if I'm wary of how young these kids actually were (number girl had a wristband but that could be right at 21 which is a little too young). So yeah, I honestly don't know why some people were there. If you went cause lol Youtube they're weird and then were pointing and laughing at some people who were getting into it, smirking with your friends and shit? Go fuck yourself.

Night started off right at any rate. Got my coat check tag and it was 666. Was like "Well that's an omen"

I'll throw up some pics my friend took...when I am less tired.

lordxar

New Vektor streaming!

Vektor-Terminal_Redux-e1462461553492.jpg

Listened to it at work today, can confirm it's rad as can be.

The music is cool and I like the thrashy/prog flow but the vocals absolutely grate on my nerves. I didn't care for their past album vocals either but for some reason this seems more irritating which sucks because I was looking forward to this one quite a bit. May revisit this at home where I can get some distance, ie not in headphones.

Koriandrr

Alright ya'll - the only metal site I usually check out on a regular basis is angrymetalguy.com, and the most recent edition of Record(s) o' the Month is on point.

hakenaffinity-500x500.jpg

With this, Haken have cemented themselves as the current king of prog metal. I'm hard pressed to think of another active band in the genre this damn unique and talented. Love 'em. Check out the song 1985 to get a sense of this album's glory. So. Damn. Tasty.

This stuff so good. I'm loving it.
Definitely going to their concert this month. Expecting it to be great live.

Fuck yes; I'm checking out the new Vektor later on in the day.

I just listened to Black Fast for the first time, and they're pretty damn good blackened thrash.

Top Bottom