• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else looking forward to new testament album in September. Cant wait for more gene hoglan

redlegs87

I used to listen to Testament in the 90's. What a good starting point for the modern era?

I am not sure what others think but I've enjoyed everything they released since The Gathering.

Out of their last three albums from best to worst for me would be The Gathering, Dark Roots of Earth and then The Formation of Damnation but I still put TFoD every now and then so still a strong album.

bebop242

I am not sure what others think but I've enjoyed everything they released since The Gathering.

Out of their last three albums from best to worst for me would be The Gathering, Dark Roots of Earth and then The Formation of Damnation but I still put TFoD every now and then so still a strong album.

Thanks! I'll start with Gathering and work up.

Thanks! I'll check these out. Tbh I've just been listening to old Suffocation today but I'm making a playlist to listen to later.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Yea the live album few year back with gene is incredible

e_i

I guess I should listen to Ashes Against the Grain now. Any other good pagan black metal bands out there?

In case you didn't read my other post, Agalloch has broken up.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I think Ashes is probably the consensus least-favorite Agalloch record. I don't get it, though; I fucking love that album.

Bitanator

Yea, listened to some of that live album and I'm really digging it. Also tried the Gathering and that was good as well. Its nice to hear this band again. Last album I heard of theirs was The Ritual.

A masterpiece I think, better than the overrated Practice and the boring Souls of Black

bebop242

A masterpiece I think, better than the overrated Practice and the boring Souls of Black

For sure! Got away from metal a couple years after that album and just recently came back thanks to going to more concerts this year. I have 20 years of catching up to do.

Bitanator

I just finished posting my updated 60 favorite oldschool death/thrash subgenre releases on my facebook page after six days of posting each album picture and a little description about each one.

Sepultura – Schizophrenia
Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death
Num Skull - Ritually Abused
Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence
Entropy- Ashen Existence
Possessed - Seven Churches
Sadus – Swallowed in Black
Dead Horse - Horsecore: An Unrelated Story That's Time Consuming
Pestilence - Malleus Maleficarum
A.R.G. – Entrance
Attomica - Attomica
Magnus - Scarlet Slaughterer
Incubus - Beyond the Unknown
Insanity - Death After Death
Explicit Hate - A View of the Other Side
Arachnid - Arachnid
Ripping Corpse - Dreaming with the Dead
Sarcófago - The Laws of Scourge
Atheist - Piece of Time
Nopresion – Sobre Fosas y Vampiros
Solstice – Solstice
Devastation - Idolatry
Protector – A Shedding of Skin
No Return - Contamination Rises
Cabal – Midian
Dragon - Scream of Death
Obliveon – Nemesis
Merciless - The Awakening
Hellwitch - Syzygial Miscreancy
Epidemic – Decameron
Slaughter – Strappado
Assorted Heap - The Experience of Horror
Section Brain - Hospital of Death
Gladiator - Made of Pain
Agressor - Towards Beyond
Schizo - Mainframe Collapse
Flames - Summon the Dead
Necrodeath - Fragments Of Insanity
Poison – Into the Abyss
Inquisitor - Walpurgis - Sabbath of Lust
Revenant - Prophecies of a Dying World
Messiah - Choir of Horrors
Neurosis – Verdun 1916
Vulcano - Bloody Vengeance
Dead Orchestra - Sounds like Time Tastes
Torturer - Oppressed by the Force
Decision D – Moratoria
Protected Illusion - Festering Fairytales
Bloody Butcher - Uncover the Justice
Overthrow – Within Suffering
Archaic Torse - Sneak Attack
Blood Feast - Kill For Pleasure
Merciless Death – Holocaust
Exoto - Carnival of Souls
Possession - Eternally Haunt
Brain Dead - From the Ecstacy
Silent Scream - From the Darkest Depths of the Imagination
Disciples of Power – Invincible Enemy
Chemical Breath - Fatal Exposure
Savior – Exploitation

TOP TEN

1) Sepultura - Schizophrenia

Schizophrenia_album.jpg

2) Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death

220px-Spectrum_Of_Death.jpg

3) Num Skull - Ritually Abused

cover.php

4) Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence

220px-EpidemicOfViolence.jpg

5) Entropy- Ashen Existence

45153.jpg

6) Possessed - Seven Churches

2394624.jpg

7) Sadus – Swallowed in Black

2084690.jpg

8) Dead Horse - Horsecore: An Unrelated Story That's Time Consuming

e1ca316aed9a4f5ccfd818f99d7388f0.jpg

9) Pestilence - Malleus Maleficarum

2692073.jpg

10) A.R.G. – Entrance

23530.jpg

You can check out the rest on my page to get better pictures and descriptions since it would take up too much space to post them all here.

Will be working on updating my favorite tech/prog thrash releases next.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
Love me some Swallowed in Black.

The sense of pure speed is the essence of thrash. Just wish it didn't go out of print, hard to get my hands on a copy at a decent price.

Bitanator

Good choice. I'm not a big thrash fan, but the early works of Kreator have always been to my liking. I was surprised none of them made to your list.

I fought with including Pleasure to Kill, but its marker is more for a jump off point which death/thrash ran with. Holy Moses - Finished with The Dogs is the one that is truly missing from the list. Defining death/thrash can be difficult, but not nearly as hard as assigning a band the label of power/thrash

Melchiah

I fought with including Pleasure to Kill, but its marker is more for a jump off point which death/thrash ran with. Holy Moses - Finished with The Dogs is the one that is truly missing from the list. Defining death/thrash can be difficult, but not nearly as hard as assigning a band the label of power/thrash

That's probably why it's more to my taste, particularly the vocals. I've never fancied the vocal style in Slayer, for example. I used to like the early material of Sodom as well in my youth, but it's been years since I last listened to them.

Bitanator

That's probably why it's more to my taste, particularly the vocals. I've never fancied the vocal style in Slayer, for example. I used to like the early material of Sodom as well in my youth, but it's been years since I last listened to them.

Sodom are another tweener of German thrash. Persecution Mania is still a classic as is Agent Orange. I think if you revist those you'd still enjoy what they offer. If you do, Tapping the Vein is another offering by them that is quite underrated

I never rode the Agalloch train, but I know people out there worship them, so my condolences to fans of the band.

Just purchased some stuff the other day. I'm so late to the party on a lot of this, but fuck it.
13226786_10153597125467335_6021203254718090417_n.jpg

RDreamer

Really sucks about Agalloch. They have some amazing albums there. The Mantle, Ashes Against the Grain, and Marrow of the Spirit are all masterpieces. I thought Serpent & the Sphere was kind of spinning their wheels a bit, but I still had a lot of hope for future music from them. The atmosphere on Marrow of the Spirit highly influenced my writing on my last novel (didn't finish it quite yet, though). I'm really going to miss them.

On another note, I'm surprised that some people didn't like Ashes. Some consider it their weakest? I find that surprising, considering how many people love that album.

RDreamer

On another note, I'm surprised that some people didn't like Ashes. Some consider it their weakest? I find that surprising, considering how many people love that album.

I honestly couldn't tell you whether I'd put The Mantle of Ashes as my number 1 of theirs. Not much gives me goosebumps quite like Bloodbirds does.

Melchiah

Sodom are another tweener of German thrash. Persecution Mania is still a classic as is Agent Orange. I think if you revist those you'd still enjoy what they offer. If you do, Tapping the Vein is another offering by them that is quite underrated

Germans sure knew how to make thrash back in the day. ;) I may have to revisit the albums some day.

On a side note, I posted a stream link for the title song of our album a while ago, and now the full album is available to stream here:
http://www.ztmag.com/blog/news/true-black-dawn-stream-new-album-exclusively-with-zt/

pablito

Just listened to Terminal Redux. I usually don't like super technical stuff, but it was nice. It felt a bit busy, and I'm not sure if I could ever do another nonstop listen front to back again, cuz it's so jam packed. But I did enjoy it. I can definitely pick out a couple songs to listen to here and there.

With all this Agalloch talk I think I'll try them again. Never got into them.

Top Bottom