• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

As much as I hate St. Anger, I would arguably rather listen to St. Anger than The Black Album. Which goes to show how much I hate The Black Album.
Really? That's crazy talk! The Unforgiven is my jam, and something something something opinions.

I think The Black Album did an admirable job of making metal accessible while still retaining the spirit of the genre. Definitely nowhere near one of my favorite albums, but it was a nice way for the music to get more exposure without forsaking the roots.

It was the beginning of the end (or maybe the end of the end) for Metallica though, and that's sad. Time to go listen to Ride the Lightning to cheer me up!

Ravager61

As much as I hate St. Anger, I would arguably rather listen to St. Anger than The Black Album. Which goes to show how much I hate The Black Album.

Both albums are absolutely terrible, regardless.

Cmon. The Black Album is a great pop-metal album. Regardless of how you feel about the direction Metallica took, I think objectively it is a catchy and well made album.

St. Anger has poor production, terrible lyrics, and is not catchy in the slightest.

Cmon. The Black Album is a great pop-metal album. Regardless of how you feel about the direction Metallica took, I think objectively it is a catchy and well made album.

St. Anger has poor production, terrible lyrics, and is not catchy in the slightest.

I realize it's a very unpopular opinion, but I stand by it. Just remember, both albums are absolute anathema to me.

Doomshine

Finally got the Metal Evolution "lost episode" on extreme metal that I helped fund on indiegogo. Haven't had time to watch it yet but 50 minutes worth of material for 5$ isn't too shabby.

fallout

Finally got the Metal Evolution "lost episode" on extreme metal that I helped fund on indiegogo. Haven't had time to watch it yet but 50 minutes worth of material for 5$ isn't too shabby.
Just watched it and thought it was pretty good. Hard to cover a lot in 50 minutes, but it manages to hit most of the evolutionary points with enough detail.

There are some notable omissions, but they can't just go name dropping bands the entire time.

Lovely.

What is the best Septicflesh album anyway?

I only have The Great Mass.
Motherfracking Communion. It is by far my favorite symphonic metal album ever. It's so varied and tight and beautiful in how the ugly and harsh guitars and vocals play against the intense orchestration.

It also has my absolute favorite song about Lovecraft. The final lines of the song give me goosebumps just about every time I hear them.

Your time is out you saw too much
You used the silver key
You know too well that minds like yours
Can never rest in peace

You stared at the abyss
You'll never rest in peace

You'll never rest in peace

The Great Mass is also fantastic, but it struck me as less ambitious than Communion.

I still can't believe how many of my favorite bands are dropping new albums this year.

Agalloch. High Spirits. Mastodon. BLIND FREAKING GUARDIAN *gushes*. Now Septic Flesh! There are others I've drank too much to remember at the moment too. This year is just going to be spectacular for metal.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Agalloch tour dates! They're playing right in my neighborhood. Awesome.

05/16 Portland, OR – Star Theater (feat. Lasher Keen & Sedan)
05/17 Seattle, WA – Highline (feat. YOB & Wounded Giant)
05/23 Baltimore, MD – Maryland Deathfest
06/18 Minneapolis, MN – Triple Rock (feat. Obsidian Tongue & Blood and Sun)
06/19 Madison, WI – High Noon (feat. Obsidian Tongue)
06/20 Chicago, IL – Reggie’s (feat. Obsidian Tongue)
06/21 Cleveland, OH – Beachland Ballrom (feat. Obsidian Tongue)
06/22 Newport, KY – Southgate House Revival (feat. Obsidian Tongue)
06/23 Birmingham, AL – Bottletree (feat. Vex)
06/24 Atlanta, GA – The Earl (feat. Vex)
06/25 Tampa, FL – Orpheum (feat. Vex)
06/26 Savannah, GA – Jinx (feat. Vex & Blackrune)
06/27 Raleigh, NC – King’s Barcade (feat. Vex)
06/28 Springfield, VA – Empire (feat. Vex)
06/29 Philadelphia, PA – Underground Arts (feat. Jex Thoth)
06/30 New York City, NY – Irving Plaza (feat. Jex Thoth)
07/01 Boston, MA – Brighton Music Hall (feat. Jex Thoth & Obsidian Tongue)
07/02 Montreal, QC – La Salla Rosa (feat. Jex Thoth)
07/03 Ottawa, ON – Mavericks (feat. Jex Thoth, Musk Ox)
07/04 Toronto, ON – Opera House (feat. Jex Thoth)
07/05 Detroit, MI – Majestic Theater (feat. Jex Thoth)
07/08 Denver, CO – Gothic Theater
West coast dates are coming later.

Also, this is from last week, but I don't remember seeing it posted; it's the first review of the new album: http://www.stereogum.com/1672221/pr...t-the-sphere/franchises/premature-evaluation/

And they aren't playing in Arizona. Pffft.

Regardless, I can't remember the last time I've been anticipating a new album. I didn't like Marrow as much as Ashes/Mantle, but I'll keep an open mind for this new album.

And they aren't playing in Arizona. Pffft.

Regardless, I can't remember the last time I've been anticipating a new album. I didn't like Marrow as much as Ashes/Mantle, but I'll keep an open mind for this new album.
Mantle is my go-to winter album. Definitely in my top ten albums ever. It is breathtakingly gorgeous, especially the intro track plus the first main track. Such a powerful look at suicide.

Flynn

Just watched it and thought it was pretty good. Hard to cover a lot in 50 minutes, but it manages to hit most of the evolutionary points with enough detail.

There are some notable omissions, but they can't just go name dropping bands the entire time.

Yeah, I dug it. Sort of made me want a documentary entirely about the Florida scene.

Anybody like Dying Fetus? I haven't seen them mentioned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMynqBaNJfU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdPKvwPAS_U
I love their riffs and drumming. Heavy as fuck but still clear and crisp! The breakdowns are done really well too unlike the wave of "deathcore" bands that came through a couple of years ago.

I think I saw them live once, it was ratjer dull. Dont know if I have listened to any album material. What would you recommend.

Lovely.

What is the best Septicflesh album anyway?

I only have The Great Mass.

I recommend looking at Sumerian Daemons. It's different: less bombastic, slower paced and it has also slighty industrial elements. Communion is similar in style as The Great Mass. I prefer TGM, it feels more realised. I'm not too familiar with the other albums, but I think they are more like SD, slower paced with gothic/doom elements.

Mantle is my go-to winter album. Definitely in my top ten albums ever. It is breathtakingly gorgeous, especially the intro track plus the first main track. Such a powerful look at suicide.

Funny, I consider The Mantle to be an autumn album. I associate it forests turning brown as opposed to with cold and snow. But perhaps your winter is more similar to my autumn.

Nopren

Vader just released a song from their coming album: Where Angels Weep, which is nice because:
a) It's new Vader, and Vader freaking kicks ass.
and
b) It reminded me that I needed to listen to more Vader.

rObit

Banned
I'm seriously jealous of you. Did they play anything off of Fade?

Nope. It was a pretty Subsume/Beacons-heavy set. I don't remember the exact setlist, but Google has it from other shows on the tour and I'm pretty sure it was the same:

1. The wamth of the daytime seemed like a dream now.
2. A weather front was stalled out in the Pacific
3. Here, wait a minute! Damn it!
4. We're goin' in. We're going down.
5. Seriosity
6. You and Yours
7. Dysphoria
8. You could laugh forever but never end up happy.
9. Push it way up!

Tarkus

I think I saw them live once, it was ratjer dull. Dont know if I have listened to any album material. What would you recommend.

I dug out my old ipod and listened to their latest release, Reign Supreme, from 2012. It's not as good as I once thought. Still, its not bad for a trio. It would be interesting to see three guys do this live. Surely they had a killer pit at the show you were at. I think many people consider this to be their best. Its a good album to listen to all the way through, although the second half is the best. Here's the whole thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eskEhb66DWU

Lazyslob

Banned
Kind of been out of the loop. Can anyone suggest me something along the lines of iron age and black breath?

really want something something heavy!

Woffls

Can I get some recommendations for bands that sounds like Dyscarnate? Fucking love their sound, but only two albums :( I like the slower deliberated heavy riffs... like this bit onwards in 'Kingdom of the Blind'.
The Promethean
Kingdom of the Blind

Ugh. Just realised why I never see this thread pop up. God damn community.

Just got back from Sabbath. Excellent show and setlist. The presence that Iommi commands is staggering.

For real. He literally radiates the "legend" vibe. Regardless of how Ozzy is doing at the moment (seems increeedibly hit-or-miss) the show is definitely worth it regardless for Iommi alone.

sgjackson

I don't think you got the name wrong, though. The Drip? Really?

Nothing about band names surprises me anymore.

I didn't care for anything Mastodon did after Leviathan, but I always check out their material anyway, just to see if I personally like their next album.

And....I'm not sure if I'll like their new album. Skip.

Yeah, I'm kinda eh on this also. I wasn't fond of Black Tongue and hated Curl of the Burl but I ended up being okay with the rest of The Hunter, so I'll probably end up listening to it anyway.

Top Bottom