• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

New Opeth album June 17th:

Pale Communion, which was produced by bandleader Mikael Åkerfeldt and mixed by longtime collaborator and Porcupine Tree frontman/guitarist Steven Wilson, will be heralded by the lead single, “Cusp of Eternity,” and available for pre-order starting Tuesday, May 6. Pre-orders made via the iTunes Store will receive an instant download of “Cusp of Eternity,” with multiple configurations also available via both the Roadrunner Records Webstore and O Merch.

The new material finds Opeth once again challenging the boundaries of extreme music. In a recent interview with VICE’s Noisey, Åkerfeldt stated, “I wanted to do something more melodic with this album…there’s stronger vocal melodies and more melodies overall…I was pretty consistent with that frame of mind throughout the writing process.” Recently, Metal Injection’s Greg Kennelty broke down Pale Communion in a track-by-track review, exclaiming, “This record knows exactly what it's doing and nails it through and through…one of my favorite records of 2014. If not my favorite record of 2014.”

The track listing for Pale Communion is as follows:

1. Eternal Rains Will Come
2. Cusp of Eternity
3. Moon Above, Sun Below
4. Elysian Woes
5. Goblin
6. River
7. Voice of Treason
8. Faith in Others

METAL-GAF'S FAVORITE BAND, WOO! PREPARE FOR TEN PAGES OF HYPE AND ECSTASY!

:p

I actually really liked Heritage, but I listen to Opeth about once a year or less these days. I'll check the new album out and will probably enjoy it for a few spins, and then will go back to anticipating the albums I'm REALLY excited for this year.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Yo, new Boris-- I mean BORIS!

http://pitchfork.com/news/54692-boris-announce-new-album-noise-share-quicksilver/

b9d8fb24.jpg

The Japanese metal trio BORIS are back with a new album to follow up their 2011 LPs New Album, Attention Please, and Heavy Rocks. It's appropriately titled Noise, and it's out June 17 everywhere (except Japan) via Sargent House. That's their pummeling new seven-minute track "Quicksilver" and incredible album art above.

In a statement, the band wrote, “If we had to suggest just one album for those unfamiliar with BORIS’ music, we will pick this for sure.” They've also scheduled a tour. Dates below.

Noise:

01 Melody
02 Vanilla
03 Ghost of Romance
04 Heavy Rain
05 Taiyo no Baka
06 Angel
07 Quicksilver
08 Siesta

BORIS:

04-27 London, England - Desertfest
06-14 Tokyo, Japan - Fever
07-24 San Diego, CA - Casbah
07-25 Phoenix, AZ - The Crescent Ballroom
07-26 Tucson, AZ - Club Congress
07-28 Dallas, TX - Trees
07-29 Austin, TX - The Mohawk
07-31 Atlanta, GA - Terminal West
08-01 Carrboro, NC - Cat’s Cradle
08-02 Washington, DC - 930 Club
08-03 New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom
08-05 Boston, MA - Paradise
08-07 Toronto, Ontario - Lee’s Palace
08-08 Buffalo, NY - Tralf
08-09 Detroit, MI - Magic Stick
08-10 Chicago, IL - Bottom Lounge
08-11 Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall
08-12 Minneapolis, MN - Triple Rock Social Club
08-16 Seattle, WA - The Crocodile
08-17 Vancouver, British Columbia - Rickshaw Theatre
08-18 Portland, OR - Doug Fir Lounge
08-20 San Francisco, CA - The Independent

Quicksilver

My former favourite band. Song doesn't sound bad, better than the Attention Please/Heavy Rocks mediocrefest at least. Kinda Luna-like (the song from the split with Torche), somewhere between HC-Vein and Pink. But I guess you can't judge a new Boris-release of all bands by a preview.
They found their stride again with Präparat and the Joe Volk-split I think, so here's hoping.

also LOL at "except Japan". Still salty about Präparat :(

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Also that artwork is badass. Weirdly reminiscent of Akuma No Uta in style and quoting a rock music classic.

Quicksilver

My former favourite band. Song doesn't sound bad, better than the Attention Please/Heavy Rocks mediocrefest at least. Kinda Luna-like (the song from the split with Torche), somewhere between HC-Vein and Pink. But I guess you can't judge a new Boris-release of all bands by a preview.
They found their stride again with Präparat and the Joe Volk-split I think, so here's hoping.

Always unpredictable with Boris, but i think this new song encapsulates what modern Boris is. I actually enjoyed the heavier songs off Heavy Rocks 2011 as it reminded me of the sludgier Pink/Heavy Rocks/Amplifier Worship stuff.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Always unpredictable with Boris, but i think this new song encapsulates what modern Boris is. I actually enjoyed the heavier songs off Heavy Rocks 2011 as it reminded me of the sludgier Pink/Heavy Rocks/Amplifier Worship stuff.
Hm, I admit my memory of Heavy Rocks '11 is a bit hazy, but I certainly know there was no resemblance to Amplifier Worship. I give you Pink and Heavy Rocks, but in it's very few legit great moments (like the LP-version of Czechoslovakia, Missing Pieces or Aileron <3) it gives off more of an Akuma No Uta-vibe ironically.

No wankery like Boris wankery :D

Aerocrane

http://pitchfork.com/news/54692-boris-announce-new-album-noise-share-quicksilver/
Quicksilver

also LOL at "except Japan". Still salty about Präparat :(

At least Quicksilver isn't as repetitive as Luna.
The remix version of Luna on New Album wasn't too bad.
Didn't Daymare release Chapter Ahead Being Fake way before the US release, although they were meant to release at the same time? I think New Album is the only Daymare release that is available in the west, and it was released here by Sargent House. The Archive reissue and Archive II probably also had limited print runs so we probably won't see those released in the west either. I might end up importing copies of Archive I and II soon.

Was the 2013 version of Vein a reissue or a new recording?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
At least Quicksilver isn't as repetitive as Luna.
The remix version of Luna on New Album wasn't too bad.
Didn't Daymare release Chapter Ahead Being Fake way before the US release, although they were meant to release at the same time? I think New Album is the only Daymare release that is available in the west, and it was released here by Sargent House. The Archive reissue and Archive II probably also had limited print runs so we probably won't see those released in the west either. I might end up importing copies of Archive I and II soon.

Was the 2013 version of Vein a reissue or a new recording?
True for the Torche split, they released it about a year in advance. Sargent House also released the twins in the west, same time they were released by Daymare.
Vein was a rearranged CD version of both the Drone and HC LP.

Edit: Noise Japanese version (Tearbridge):
noise_j_bisuwr.jpg

Disc 1 (&#26412;&#32232;)
1. &#40658;&#29483;&#12513;&#12525;&#12487;&#12451;
2. Vanilla
3. &#12354;&#12398;&#20154;&#12383;&#12385;
4. &#38632;
5. &#22826;&#38525;&#12398;&#12496;&#12459;
6. Angel
7. Quicksilver
8. &#12471;&#12456;&#12473;&#12479;

Disc 2 (&#12508;&#12540;&#12490;&#12473;&#12488;&#12521;&#12483;&#12463;)
1. Bit (&#26144;&#30011;"&#21578;&#30333;"&#21127;&#20013;&#27468;)
2. &#21531;&#12398;&#34892;&#26041; (NINTENDO 3DS/PS Vita&#29992;&#12450;&#12489;&#12505;&#12531;&#12481;&#12515;&#12540;&#12466;&#12540;&#12512;"&#26997;&#38480;&#33073;&#20986;ADV &#21892;&#20154;&#12471;&#12508;&#12454;&#12487;&#12473;"CM&#26354;)
3. &#26377;&#35222;&#30028;Revue (&#12472;&#12517;&#12456;&#12522;&#12540;&#12510;&#12461;CM&#26354;)
4. &#12487;&#12451;&#12473;&#12481;&#12515;&#12540;&#12472; (&#26032;&#12532;&#12449;&#12540;&#12472;&#12519;&#12531;)

2LP on Daymare. They made some videogame song?

Hm, I admit my memory of Heavy Rocks '11 is a bit hazy, but I certainly know there was no resemblance to Amplifier Worship. I give you Pink and Heavy Rocks, but in it's very few legit great moments (like the LP-version of Czechoslovakia, Missing Pieces or Aileron <3) it gives off more of an Akuma No Uta-vibe ironically.

No wankery like Boris wankery :D

Those are the songs that I'm talking about. Those alone are what makes Heavy Rocks 2011 great for me, the others are just fillers, moreso than Smile. Also I had no idea that the vinyl versions of those songs are different as I only have it on vinyl and not cd.

I'd be satisfied if Boris kept releasing songs like Farewell, Huge, Heavy Friends, Aileron, Blackout while still doing with a "poppy" songs.

I also wish they'd record studio versions of their different takes on live song, such as Floorshaker. Fuck man they are all over the place, hahah.

holy shit, thanks! I love Death and Hoglan.

By the way, tomorrow starts Roadburn! Yay!

Hell yeah! Favorite Metal band ever, and Hoglan is certainly one of my all time favorite metal drummers, up there with the likes of Nicko and Haake. Glad you mentioned Roadburn too. I'll be at least following that.

Blackheim

Coming back to the talk of the band Trouble, the former singer (Eric Wagner), an original member (Jeff Olson), former Trouble members (Ron Holzer & Chuck Robinson) and another dude (Lothar Keller, from Sacred Dawn) have formed a band called The Skull (after the debut Trouble album) and will be releasing an album. 2 songs are up to listen to...not sure what to think, too mentally exhausted to process it... anyway, music:

https://soundcloud.com/tee-pee-records/the-skull-yesterday-mourning

https://soundcloud.com/tee-pee-records/the-skull-last-judgement

Giving Satyricon a shot. Just listening to their top 10 songs on Spotify. Starts with K.I.N.G, then goes to Pentagram Burns, Black Crow On A Tombstone(pretty much all of Now, Diabolical with some Satyricon).

Liking it so far!

Anyone into Black Messiah? If you're not familiar, they're a folk metal band from Germany, up there with the best in the genre.

225555.jpg

^This album is ridiculous. Masterpiece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2tsloMltOg

Their follow up, The Final Journey, wasn't as consistently great as First War of the World, but it did provide my favorite music video ever (Windloni).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di7cnlbv_Go

Oh wow First War of the World is indeed awesome.

Their other albums following are kinda meh.

sgjackson

http://www.metalinjection.net/video...etalcorenu-metal-hybrid-song-youve-ever-heard

Ba ha ha ha ha ha. This is one of the most surreal things I've encountered as of yet. Like the article said, these guys may be trolling us with deliberately shitty music.

I sure as hell hope so. I mean, fuck.

Holy shit, it's like they made a checklist of boilerplate rock trends from the last decade and a half and decided to make a song including all of them

Edit: Holy shit the growl rapping

Hellers

Dudes, new Gamma Ray is out as of last month.

How is it?

Edit: Its out in Euroville. Its comes to the states next week.

I bought it a few days ago and I love it. The last one of theirs I really liked was No World Order but this one is doing the right things to my metal glands. It's on Spotify if anyone wants to listen to it.

Holy shit, it's like they made a checklist of boilerplate rock trends from the last decade and a half and decided to make a song including all of them

Edit: Holy shit the growl rapping

Maybe I'm just a masochist and have a morbid curiosity for "so shitty it's surreal" music, but this type of shit makes me want to see how bad some forms of Metal can get. I thought Attila and Attack! Attack! were bad.

Caladrius

what the hell, Lambda recommending something that's not power metal? damn straight. Augury, prog/tech death metal straight from Canada-eh.

augury.jpg

Beatus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2EzCXG-cyw

... Ever Know Peace Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxVR52xGELU

Becoming God
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tfen427ltg

Aw yiss. I prefer their second album (Skyless) but their first album has some real gems on it. (My favorites from that one are, the Lair of Purity, Beatus and Becoming God.)

Shame they don't seem to have done anything since then.

Kaladin

Eyehategod:

04/22 San Jose, CA &#8211; Rock Shop
04/23 Sacramento, CA &#8211; Midtown Barfly
04/24 Portland, OR &#8211; Branx
04/25 San Jose, CA &#8211; Rock Shop
04/26 Munster, IN &#8211; Dark Lord Day Festival
04/27 Baltimore, MD &#8211; Ottobar (feat. High On Fire & Corrosion Of Conformity)

With Ringworm & Enabler:

05/28 Atlanta, GA &#8211; Masquerade
05/29 Fayetteville, NC &#8211; Drunk Horse
05/30 Charlotte, NC &#8211; Chop Shop
05/31 Frederick, MD &#8211; 611
06/01 Philadelphia, PA &#8211; Underground Arts
06/02 Pittsburgh, PA &#8211; Rex Theater
06/03 Richmond, VA &#8211; Strange Matter
06/04 Binghamton, NY &#8211; American Legion Post 80
06/05 Boston, MA &#8211; Brighton Music Hall
06/06 Long Island, NY &#8211; Even Flow
06/07 Brooklyn, NY &#8211; Europa
06/08 Erie, PA &#8211; Basement Transmissions
06/09 Rochester, NY &#8211; Bug Jar
06/10 Detroit, MI &#8211; Loving Touch
06/11 Cleveland, OH &#8211; Now That&#8217;s Class
06/12 Indianapolis, IN &#8211; Birdy&#8217;s
06/13 Chicago, IL &#8211; Cobra Lounge
06/14 Grand Rapids, MI &#8211; Pyramid Scheme
06/15 Appleton, WI &#8211; TBA
06/16 TBA &#8211; TBA
06/17 Louisville, KY &#8211; Diamond Pub
06/18 St. Louis, MO &#8211; Fubar
06/19 Memphis, TN &#8211; Hi Tone
06/20 New Orleans, LA &#8211; Southport
06/21 Savannah, GA &#8211; Dollhouse
06/22 Tampa, FL &#8211; Orpheum

Why does Eyehategod hate me? May 28th is a Wed night, which sucks for me (especially since I'm taking Thurs and Fri before) and June 21st and 22nd are nights I'm going to be out of state already.

Ravager61

I really like A Pregnant Light. I have a few of the EPs that make up this album and they are all really good. Very catchy, almost pop songs in a black metal-type, lo-fi context. If you've ever called a band "hiptser" in a derogatory way, this is probably not for you.

Edit: Also bought a ticket to Eyehategod/Ringworm/Enabler last night. So stoked. That is a killer line up.

XShagrath

Why does Eyehategod hate me? May 28th is a Wed night, which sucks for me (especially since I'm taking Thurs and Fri before) and June 21st and 22nd are nights I'm going to be out of state already.
Every show can't be on a weekend. I would say your only option is to go and drag ass at work the next day, but you already took that day off. I don't see the problem.

Kaladin

Every show can't be on a weekend. I would say your only option is to go and drag ass at work the next day, but you already took that day off. I don't see the problem.

No, Thurs and Friday the week before is what I'm taking off. I won't be able to get off again that soon, and ugh. Atlanta is 3.5 hours from me, if the show ended at midnight...I'd get home at 3:30 and have to be at work at 8.

XShagrath

No, Thurs and Friday the week before is what I'm taking off. I won't be able to get off again that soon, and ugh. Atlanta is 3.5 hours from me, if the show ended at midnight...I'd get home at 3:30 and have to be at work at 8.

I guess it depends on how much you think it's worth it. I haven't had to travel too far for a show like that in recent history. I saw Anathema headline a show a couple weeks ago in St. Pete (which was about 2 hours), but I was off the next day. I remember going to see The Haunted/Witchery in Tallahassee (about a 4 hour drive) about 12 years ago and having to work in the early AM the next day.

Now if a show is too far away, I just chalk it up to living in a shitty touring town.

That sucks. I hate people who hack sites maliciously. Seriously, those people are the scum of the internet (not just people who hack sites maliciously, but anyone who uses the internet to steal information, cause havoc, etc.)

Kaladin

That sucks. I hate people who hack sites maliciously. Seriously, those people are the scum of the internet (not just people who hack sites maliciously, but anyone who uses the internet to steal information, cause havoc, etc.)

It wasn't actually hacked, it was a publicity stunt for them to announce their new album in September.

Pro

New Opeth album June 17th:

Pale Communion, which was produced by bandleader Mikael Åkerfeldt and mixed by longtime collaborator and Porcupine Tree frontman/guitarist Steven Wilson, will be heralded by the lead single, “Cusp of Eternity,” and available for pre-order starting Tuesday, May 6. Pre-orders made via the iTunes Store will receive an instant download of “Cusp of Eternity,” with multiple configurations also available via both the Roadrunner Records Webstore and O Merch.

The new material finds Opeth once again challenging the boundaries of extreme music. In a recent interview with VICE’s Noisey, Åkerfeldt stated, “I wanted to do something more melodic with this album…there’s stronger vocal melodies and more melodies overall…I was pretty consistent with that frame of mind throughout the writing process.” Recently, Metal Injection’s Greg Kennelty broke down Pale Communion in a track-by-track review, exclaiming, “This record knows exactly what it's doing and nails it through and through…one of my favorite records of 2014. If not my favorite record of 2014.”

The track listing for Pale Communion is as follows:

1. Eternal Rains Will Come
2. Cusp of Eternity
3. Moon Above, Sun Below
4. Elysian Woes
5. Goblin
6. River
7. Voice of Treason
8. Faith in Others

Read a First Impressions of this a little while back. http://www.metalinjection.net/revie...-untitled-opeth-album-a-track-by-track-review

"Honestly? This is the best record Opeth have put out since Ghost Reveries."

"As a point of reference, I'd say this record is either the missing link between Damnation and Ghost Reveries or if Heritage was written directly after Ghost Reveries without Watershed having ever existed. You get the idea."

If it's being compared to Ghost Reveries, I'm all in.

Top Bottom