• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Its not metal..but damn the last qotsa puts me in a trance.

Dude, Queens of the Stone Age kick ass. Songs for the Deaf has Grohl's best performance ever. Rated R is excellent as well.

Do you like Kyuss, btw? I was wondering if there were any other Kyuss lovers here. Welcome to Sky Valley and Blues for the Red Sun are classics.

GOOD EARLY MORNING, METAL GAF ASTERISK

ASTERISK, I MAY HAVE HAD A STROKE WHILE CHOOSING THE SONG TODAY

love dat bass

CAN YOU FEEL TIME SLIPPIN' DOWN YOUR SPINE? EWWW YOUR TRYNA TRYNA IGNORE!

But you can hardly swallow your fears and pain. When you can't help but FOLLOW!! It putsya right back where you caaaaame

GOOD EARLY MORNING, METAL GAF ASTERISK

ASTERISK, I MAY HAVE HAD A STROKE WHILE CHOOSING THE SONG TODAY

love dat bass

CAN YOU FEEL TIME SLIPPIN' DOWN YOUR SPINE? EWWW YOUR TRYNA TRYNA IGNORE!

But you can hardly swallow your fears and pain. When you can't help but FOLLOW!! It putsya right back where you caaaaame

Oh man, Sonic Adventure has not aged well. I loved it when I was a kid, but I tried playing it again lately, and holy fuck it's terrible. The music theme songs are pretty bad as well. Open your Heart makes me cringe.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Dude, Queens of the Stone Age kick ass. Songs for the Deaf has Grohl's best performance ever. Rated R is excellent as well.

Do you like Kyuss, btw? I was wondering if there were any other Kyuss lovers here. Welcome to Sky Valley and Blues for the Red Sun are classics.

Blues and sky valley are up there on my all time favorite records. I love Kyuss.

Aerocrane

Everyone knows the S/T is the best Queens of the Stone Age album.
opinions am I right? ;)

Who's the youngest here? I'm 23 as of right now, but I imagine some of us here are even younger.
I'm Aerocrane and I'm from Finland. I've been listening to metal ever since I was a kid, but I'm only 19 so I guess I still am a kid?

Boris is totally metal. Feedbacker is my favourite album of theirs.

I have an incredibly high opinion of Kyuss... QoTSA do nothing for me. They are like elevator music--not offensive enough, or good enough, to notice when it is on.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
BLS doesn't get enough credit for redonkulous drum tracks. No matter who writes or records them they're always so distinct.

Twelve years ago if I had to guess. Started off with Metallica and Judas Priest. I didn't actually start listening to the sub-genres with harsh vocals until a few years ago. Black metal still really isn't my thing.

Jeeze, since you were seven? My musical taste at that age was fucking godawful.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
If I wanted to get into Iced Earth, which albums do you guys suggest I start with?

I was a little lukewarm on the vocals of Night of the Stormrider on first listen, seemed a little Jag Panzer-ish.

Framing Armageddon seemed to be more my speed, but I have a whole catalog here and no idea where to start, suggestions welcome.

Aerocrane

Jeeze, since you were seven? My musical taste at that age was fucking godawful.

My parents don't listen to metal, I can thank my friend's brother for introducing me to metal. I didn't actively seek out new (to me) metal until I was 13 or so. My parents listen to lots of classic rock & pop, Beatles, Queen, Elton John and the like so I guess you could say I listened to that stuff too. Outside of those three artists I just mentioned their music tastes really didn't stick on me. I just kind of listen to whatever I find interesting, regardless of genre.

ShaneB

If I wanted to get into Iced Earth, which albums do you guys suggest I start with?

I was a little lukewarm on the vocals of Night of the Stormrider on first listen, seemed a little Jag Panzer-ish.

Framing Armageddon seemed to be more my speed, but I have a whole catalog here and no idea where to start, suggestions welcome.

Considering the vocalist carousel that has gone on in Iced Earth you've got a few options. Moving forward with Stu Block in the band, it makes sense to check out the latest albums Dystopia and Plagues of Babylon, which I think are great.

I actually loved Tim 'Ripper' Owens in the band too, and still think Gettysburg is arguably the best stuff they've done and I think Glorious Burden is solid. (Framing Armageddon being a Tim Owens album)

But for most the classic Iced Earth sound will involve Matt Barlow, and for that case, it's easy to recommend just checking out the Days of Purgatory album which is essentially a best of with Barlow on vocals redoing the two albums that Gene Adams and John Greely did. And basically everything with Barlow on vocals is top notch too.

My parents don't listen to metal, I can thank my friend's brother for introducing me to metal. I didn't actively seek out new (to me) metal until I was 13 or so. My parents listen to lots of classic rock & pop, Beatles, Queen, Elton John and the like so I guess you could say I listened to that stuff too. Outside of those three artists I just mentioned their music tastes really didn't stick on me. I just kind of listen to whatever I find interesting, regardless of genre.

Nobody introduced me to Metal, to this day I'm not quite sure why it's my favorite genre. Nobody else in my family enjoys it, and some of them outright revile it and have a very low opinion of the genre as a whole. It's a shame, really.

Nobody introduced me to Metal, to this day I'm not quite sure why it's my favorite genre. Nobody else in my family enjoys it, and some of them outright revile it and have a very low opinion of the genre as a whole. It's a shame, really.

My dad listened to a bit of metal growing up, mostly mainstream stuff but he opened up a lot more to the genre as I was also discovering it in my childhood and youth. Mostly he was just into hard rock though, but the path to metal kind of formed early for me due to that, as I said he started liking more and more metal at the same time as me though and even played in a few local metal bands, which he only just quit out of a few years ago. Was also great as he would take me to concerts he also at least enjoyed a bit himself, I must have been 12 when I went to Manson and Slipknot for the first time, and he could take me to festivals and such where we could see loads of different genres. These days he mostly listens to Pantera, Sepultura, Mastodon and Opeth when it comes to metal.

Sure at first I listened to kind of shitty metal, I went through a Slipknot phase and all that, it's kind of funny going back and looking at school photos of a 10 year old me with metal shirts on. Even if I don't really enjoy those bands anymore I'm kind of thankful, as I doubt I would ever have gotten into the way crazier metal without them.

I guess I've been lucky with quite a few of my family members liking metal, and the rest at least tolerant of it as they were often exposed to it by us. Hell I once got my mom to drive me to a TDEP concert which she ended up actually staying and watching. She drove me there (From Denmark to north Germany, we would buy cheap alcohol and soda in Germany too to take back with us... Which is almost a Danish tradition!) and it was freezing outside, got there an hour early and met their guitar tech, who I kind of knew and started talking to him, he said he was freezing and he invited us both into their bus instead... He convinced her of staying and watching the show haha. I don't think she got a lot out of it, but she said she had fun and it was kind of funny seeing her in that environment, although she mostly just talked to Weinmans Danish wife.

Is anyone here into Impiety? If so, what's a nice album to start with? I've seen they have some compilations, is 18 Atomic Years Satanniversary any good?

Doomshine

There's a compilation called The Blessed and the Damned that's a pretty solid summary of everything pre Framing Armageddon.

That's cool that your parents were into Metal yourself, at least parts of your family. I'm raising my kids on Heavy Metal for myself. Just hope that I don't crap on music that may be "new" just because it's not of my time. Luckily though, that's never been a problem for myself.

choodi

Banned
Those alleged "old farts", how old are you, actually? Just curious to see where I fit in... XD

I'm 36.

Anyway, I've been on an early Cannibal Corpse kick lately.

Those first four tracks on The Bleeding are the epitome of their career.

Too bad the rest of that album is filler garbage otherwise it would have gone down as an all time classic of the genre.

Good morning, Metal GAF. Today's one is an absolute bummer. Jason McCash, bassist and songwriter from The Gates of Slumber died. For those of you who aren't familiar with the band, they are a hell of a doom act and put on an incredible show when I saw them with Cianide a couple years back.

Symbolically pour one out for this man by listening to the Dark Valley Suite

Death, it came in dreams
Haunting while you slept
And you walked alone
Forever at war
Had you lived before?
Will you live again,
To see the failing of our doomed race?
Stretching back through time
Hurling on towards end
Will you ever know our ultimate fate,
Or do you rest in that valley dark
Beyond the river forever more?

Between him and the guitarist from The Devil's Blood, 2014 has not been all that great for longevity in metal

Tarkus

I'm 36.

Anyway, I've been on an early Cannibal Corpse kick lately.

Those first four tracks on The Bleeding are the epitome of their career.

Too bad the rest of that album is filler garbage otherwise it would have gone down as an all time classic of the genre.
I was just listening to Fucked with a Knife and Vaginal Skin yesterday! Hammer Smashed and The Bleeding are definitely their best. Barnes >>>>>>> Fisher

I'm 30, but have been listening to metal for as long as I can remember thanks to my metalhead brother, who is 10 years older. I can remember being 6 or 7 and running around with a Bon Jovi cassette that had paper jammed into the tabs so music could be recorded over it. That tape had Fade to Black, Judas Priest, Maiden, Queensryche, and GNR recorded from the local rock radio station. I wore it out on my yellow Sony sport boom box.

The first music that I bought with my own money was the Black Album on cassette. The first cd I bought a couple years later was Ride the Lightning. I went heavier with thrash, then on to death, then to black. Now I listen to anything heavy including hard rock. In fact, now that I'm married with a 2-year-old, it's mostly hard rock for car rides. Octane on Sirius with the fam, Liquid Metal when I'm by myself.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...lete_its_in_the_finals_of_being_mastered.html

New Mastodon album is almost complete, so those who are interested in their material, this news is for you.

I'm 30, but have been listening to metal for as long as I can remember thanks to my metalhead brother, who is 10 years older. I can remember being 6 or 7 and running around with a Bon Jovi cassette that had paper jammed into the tabs so music could be recorded over it. That tape had Fade to Black, Judas Priest, Maiden, Queensryche, and GNR recorded from the local rock radio station. I wore it out on my yellow Sony sport boom box.

My man! Nothing like making some use out of a once terrible cassette.

Anyway, I may be in the minority, but my favorite CC album is Gallery of Suicide.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Considering the vocalist carousel that has gone on in Iced Earth you've got a few options. Moving forward with Stu Block in the band, it makes sense to check out the latest albums Dystopia and Plagues of Babylon, which I think are great.

I actually loved Tim 'Ripper' Owens in the band too, and still think Gettysburg is arguably the best stuff they've done and I think Glorious Burden is solid. (Framing Armageddon being a Tim Owens album)

But for most the classic Iced Earth sound will involve Matt Barlow, and for that case, it's easy to recommend just checking out the Days of Purgatory album which is essentially a best of with Barlow on vocals redoing the two albums that Gene Adams and John Greely did. And basically everything with Barlow on vocals is top notch too.

Thanks man, enjoying a lot of this stuff.

ONLY ANALOG IS REAL.

140406_01_zps597f8c6d.png

140406_02_zpse53953ac.png

140406_03_zps58d9fd3f.png

140406_04_zpsa45ef1ed.png

140406_05_zps21de1ef7.png

140406_15_zpsa376ab8e.png

140406_07_zps373c6cc2.png

140406_08_zpsa0da2ce8.png

140406_09_zps658d6299.png

140406_10_zps40ada458.png

140406_11_zps76f79312.png

140406_12_zpse601cfab.png

140406_13_zpsd2010e45.png

140406_14_zpscde3f0d0.png

I'm kinda like a Neo Geo AES head when it comes to this band, that is: fucking insane. Analog collector roll call? There's bound to be at least one other. It would be nice to see some other collections in general.

ONLY ANALOG IS REAL.

I'm kinda like a Neo Geo AES head when it comes to this band, that is: fucking insane. Analog collector roll call? There's bound to be at least one other. It would be nice to see some other collections in general.

I have a bunch of cassettes and vinyl. All cassettes are in storage since I don't have a cassette player anymore. These are my prized vinyls, all first pressings:

1K4LH0D.jpg

I've usually stuck with CDs for my format, although for a long time I've had to deal with shitty compressed music on burned albums (now that I have a job, I can happily pay for my music...and it doesn't cost me a lot either). Nice collection, for sure. I have a couple of friends who swear by Vinyl.

Anyway, Metal-GAF, what audio equipment do you use when listening to Metal? I have a pretty nice pair of AKG Headphones, as well as a cheaper, but still very good pair of Sennheiser headphones. I don't really have much stereo equipment, probably because headphones are my preference. Where I live, I can't really blast loud music anyway.

I've usually stuck with CDs for my format, although for a long time I've had to deal with shitty compressed music on burned albums (now that I have a job, I can happily pay for my music...and it doesn't cost me a lot either). Nice collection, for sure. I have a couple of friends who swear by Vinyl.

Anyway, Metal-GAF, what audio equipment do you use when listening to Metal? I have a pretty nice pair of AKG Headphones, as well as a cheaper, but still very good pair of Sennheiser headphones. I don't really have much stereo equipment, probably because headphones are my preference. Where I live, I can't really blast loud music anyway.

Horrendous cheap earbuds. I have a horrid track record for headphone survival.

Horrendous cheap earbuds. I have a horrid track record for headphone survival.

You don't have to pay a huge amount of money for decent headphones, though. Sennheiser makes some great headphones for less than a 100 dollars.

How hard is it to take care of your headphones? Provided that you don't use them in high wear situations and use, they should last a long time. I also recommend buying a cheap pair; use these as an alternative to your main headphones for activities that would shorten the life of your main headphones.

Oh, btw. Fuck Bose.

You don't have to pay a huge amount of money for decent headphones, though. Sennheiser makes some great headphones for less than a 100 dollars.

How hard is it to take care of your headphones? Provided that you don't use them in high wear situations and use, they should last a long time. I also recommend buying a cheap pair; use these as an alternative to your main headphones for activities that would shorten the life of your main headphones.

Oh, btw. Fuck Bose.

Yeah, I know I should get actual decent ones that don't lstray far from my desk. I'm just generally clumsy if I use them while moving about or exercising.

Yeah, I know I should get actual decent ones that don't lstray far from my desk. I'm just generally clumsy if I use them while moving about or exercising.

Do it! It's, absolutely fucking worth it. Seriously, I will never be able to go back to earbuds after hearing my music through well made headphones. It makes a HUGE difference.

choodi

Banned
I have a pair of ATH-M50s and ATH-AD700s.

I'm looking to buy a decent amp and turntable sometime this year. Probably a Marantz PM5004 and maybe a Pro-ject turntable.

I just like the look of both and have read decent reviews.

I don't own any vinyl either, but around 250 CDs. However I'm thinking of buying a lot more in digital format (as in MP3/FLAC). Bandcamp offers nice prices and sometimes you can buy 'directly' from artists. And doesn't take up physical space. When I used to order CDs, I got them from a Dutch metal order and Amazon UK. The former raised their prices too much, I'm not going to pay 15+ euros, usually 20 for new releases. And now Amazon UK, which had nice prices, removed the free shipping to the Netherlands :(

As for audio equipment, I have an amp and CD player from Marantz connected to two Mordaunt Short speakers (bookshelf/standmount). I listen to my digital collection either with Sennheiser PX200-II something headphones via my PC or via the Marantz amp. I've had problem with headphones breaking as well, that's why I'm only using the PX200-II with my PC/amp. On the go, I'm just using earbuds or (old and slighty broken) Sennheiser headphones.

I have a bunch of cassettes and vinyl. All cassettes are in storage since I don't have a cassette player anymore. These are my prized vinyls, all first pressings:

very nice Earache worship! That's one thing that I feel is really lacking in my collection, the real old school classics and that's actually despite the fact that these days practically ever OSDM album ever is being re-issued haha. I really gotta get on some of that.

when I first started buying vinyl, I had zero idea what I was getting into. In fact, I didn't even have a turntable at the time lol. As I got more into the hobby, though it almost became an addiction. The good thing about the underground scene today is that there's lot of good shit being released all the time on vinyl, so it's easy to get into. Analog is an expensive and ritualistic hobby, but is it great. I hope more people in this thread try it out!

I have like 3 or so full crates of LPs/10"s and a few dozen 7"s. I have a shoe box full of tapes. I do have a ton of CDs still, don't know the exact number but enough to fill a super fat box. Despite having these I've never really had a nice "system". My tape deck is nice, Nakamichi BX-300. The best vinyl setup I had was a Technics 1200 M3D w/ super low end Audio Technica pre-amp. I just listen to all my CDs using a pretty OK Sony micro component system. Not to derail the topic but apparently the PS1 was considered audiophile status as a CD player? I do have two of those haha. I commute for 140 miles to and from, 3-4 hours average every weekday so it's tough to sit down and focus on music. Like a lot of other people in my situation, I'm listening to music either in my car or on my phone, in this case an old crappy Android. I use Yamaha EPH-100SL earbuds. I would like to invest in better sound equipment going forward.

It depends on where I'm at. On my PC I have a pair of the Creative Fatal1ty head phones. If' I'm not recording anything at the time they're just using on-board audio. If I am they're piped through a dedicated recording card. Around the house I have a Sony surround sound system set up for the consoles but, it has a great sound for music as well.

At work I use an average pair of KOSS over the ear headphones. I don't like to have a super nice set at work because it's likely I'll break the cord at some point. I'm currently on my fifth set of headphones in 5 years...lol.

fallout

For music listening, I've sworn by my SR-80 Grados for years. They're not the most durable (I've had to do some resoldering on them), but the sound quality is noticeable and they were reasonably priced.

Watevaman

I use a pair of $6 earbuds for listening to music from my ipod and a Fatality headset for the PC. If I can I'll use my Logitech speakers mainly for the sub, but if I can't then whatever.

I'm not big into audio equipment. As long as I can hear the music I don't care what I'm using.

That Ronnie James Dio - This Is Your Life tribute album is so weird. Its like they blew their entire budget on Metallica being on it.

Why on earth do they have studio musicians filling in instead of actual metal bands?!

Wheres Iron Maiden? Dream Theater? The rest of Judas Priest? Could've at least got all of Stone Sour instead of just Corey. Wheres Manowar? DeMaio is always praising Dio you would think Manowar would be somewhere on that album.

I could think of many other bands who should be on this album but are somehow missing.

Honestly the only good covers are by Anthrax, Metallica, and Scorpions.

What a waste of potential

Top Bottom