• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Anyway, Metal-GAF, what audio equipment do you use when listening to Metal? I have a pretty nice pair of AKG Headphones, as well as a cheaper, but still very good pair of Sennheiser headphones. I don't really have much stereo equipment, probably because headphones are my preference. Where I live, I can't really blast loud music anyway.

Here's my listening setup:
ttwMInu.jpg

Don't mind the other speakers on the outside, I was cleaning the other room and had to move those.

Rotel 1050 RB amplifier
Rotel 1070 RC pre-amp
Rotel 1072 RCD cd player
Cambridge Audio Azur 640p phono pre-amp
Pro-Ject Xpression III turntable
Paradigm Studio 60 v2 speakers

I've also got a pair of Grado SR-80s and hook it up to my Rotel pre-amp, but I rarely ever do that.

That Ronnie James Dio - This Is Your Life tribute album is so weird. Its like they blew their entire budget on Metallica being on it.

What a waste of potential

Come on dude, that tribute was meant to suck from the very beginning. I had a feeling it would end up ruining most of the songs by Dio.

ttwMInu.jpg

Don't mind the other speakers on the outside, I was cleaning the other room and had to move those.

Rotel 1050 RB amplifier
Rotel 1070 RC pre-amp
Rotel 1072 RCD cd player

I've also got a pair of Grado SR-80s and hook it up to my Rotel pre-amp, but I rarely ever do that.

Damn, that's a nice set-up. Glad to see you are enjoying it so much. Someday I might get a good set of speakers myself, but for now, I can't really use them, although I also don't really need them or want to spend money on a nice speaker set. I still need to get a good pre-amp for my AKG headphones.

Damn, that's a nice set-up. Glad to see you are enjoying it so much. Someday I might get a good set of speakers myself, but for now, I can't really use them, although I also don't really need them or want to spend money on a nice speaker set. I still need to get a good pre-amp for my AKG headphones.

You'll appreciate music a lot more every time you upgrade. Lots of nuances you've never noticed, hear, or even feel until you move up to better stuff. You'll eventually hit a ceiling, but each time it's like breathing new life into your entire catalogue again. Even shitty production stuff like Darkthrone.

You'll appreciate music a lot more every time you upgrade. Lots of nuances you've never noticed, hear, or even feel until you move up to better stuff. You'll eventually hit a ceiling, but each time it's like breathing new life into your entire catalogue again. Even shitty production stuff like Darkthrone.

I believe that. After using my relatively well made Sennheisers after decades of shitty earbuds mass market headphones, the difference is all the more noticeable and I will never go back to using the cheap stuff. It makes me ears bleed and cringe.

Also, I'll say it again. Fuck Bose.

ttwMInu.jpg

Rotel 1050 RB amplifier
Rotel 1070 RC pre-amp
Rotel 1072 RCD cd player

Oh man, maximum hnng. That's freaking gorgeous dude. I absolutely cannot wait until I get a real job (any day now! :mad:, grr) so I can start buying cool things. My first purchases, in order will be:

1. HD TV (seriously, I've been gaming for two decades and still have to suffer through SD. It's awful)
2. PS4 (gotta get Arkham Knight on release date due to Batwhore related reasons)
3. Turntable, nice speaker setup, start of vinyl collection
4. Smartphone?
5. NeoGAF

I'll probably refer to this post when looking for a starting point for my speakers whenever I accrue the cash. Seems like an absolutely magical listening experience.

Aerocrane

I've usually stuck with CDs for my format, although for a long time I've had to deal with shitty compressed music on burned albums (now that I have a job, I can happily pay for my music...and it doesn't cost me a lot either). Nice collection, for sure. I have a couple of friends who swear by Vinyl.

Anyway, Metal-GAF, what audio equipment do you use when listening to Metal? I have a pretty nice pair of AKG Headphones, as well as a cheaper, but still very good pair of Sennheiser headphones. I don't really have much stereo equipment, probably because headphones are my preference. Where I live, I can't really blast loud music anyway.

I'm still using 5-year-old Apple earbuds which came with my 3rd gen iPod Touch, the iPod is on its last legs but the earbuds still work just fine. I always have them in my pocket wherever I go and I also use them when I'm on my PC and listen to something. I'm thinking about getting an headset for playing games on my PC though.

I have 72 CDs and about 10 of them are either special editions or imports that I paid way too much money for. When it comes to actually listening to music, its mostly Spotify or MP3 rips of my CDs. I usually don't buy music digitally.

Hey Giant Robot, what Godflesh album is your avatar from? I just did a search of their discography but didn't see that album art anywhere. Is it some sort of alternate cover or something?

I'm in the mood for some Old School Death Metal. Any recommendations?

mini Swedish/Finnish playlist.

Therion - Asphyxiate with Fear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59O1bNn0kH4

Desultory - Into Eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGTwWvcduUM

At the Gates - Within
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaTIPexiL2A

Demigod - As I Behold Despise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6AsOZIdP2k

Adramelech - Dethroned/Mortal God
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpn8FYEMSe8

Convulse - World Without God
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEqE9MgVzJg

choodi

Banned
I'm so glad no one has admitted to owning Beats or Bose stuff. MetalGAF again proves it has better taste than the rest!

Good work guys

I'm so glad no one has admitted to owning Beats or Bose stuff. MetalGAF again proves it has better taste than the rest!

Good work guys

Ah yes, Beats are overpriced and overrated. I still can't believe people buy into Dre's marketing in such a naive way.

Still, as much as I dislike Beats, Bose I truly loathe.

Hey Giant Robot, what Godflesh album is your avatar from? I just did a search of their discography but didn't see that album art anywhere. Is it some sort of alternate cover or something?

It is the first Godflesh release. Self Titled "Godflesh" album/ep

Godflesh.jpg

mini Swedish/Finnish playlist.

Demigod - As I Behold Despise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6AsOZIdP2k

fuuuuck, always loved Demigod. Might as well throw in some Demlich as well since it's all FREE downloads.

Excellent choice. I was just listening to The Rack and Last One On Earth over the weekend. Martin Van Drunen is truly the Death Metal vocals God.

Ah yes, Beats are overpriced and overrated. I still can't believe people buy into Dre's marketing in such a naive way.

Still, as much as I dislike Beats, Bose I truly loathe.

As I mentioned before, I am thus far a stingy bastard at audio equipment. All expensive things, whether worth the money or not, are equally foreign to me. I get the "beats=pure marketing" thing, but why is Bose worthy of a blood feud? shitty value?

And if it is just shitty value+ pretentious marketing, then as a follow-up question: What percent discount would it take to make them into a decent value in your eyes.

Question is to all of metal-gaf.

As I mentioned before, I am thus far a stingy bastard at audio equipment. All expensive things, whether worth the money or not, are equally foreign to me. I get the "beats=pure marketing" thing, but why is Bose worthy of a blood feud? shitty value?

And if it is just shitty value+ pretentious marketing, then as a follow-up question: What percent discount would it take to make them into a decent value in your eyes.

IMHO Bose is to audio equipment what Monster is to cables.

They do the job just fine, but they are definitely NOT worth the extra money. They do nothing different than cheap brands but they market themselves as high end, when they are clearly not. They use cheap parts and the sound quality just isn't there to back up the price.

Just keep in mind that the entire Home Audio industry is snake oil. Bose has always had the bad perception of "Better Sound Through Marketing". Cheap materials, weak magnets, strict listening demo rules.

Beats by Dre get a lot of heat because of the high price tag/marketing and value.

Listen with your ears in person instead of a sales pitch or what you read online. Everyone has different ears and listening environments. Personally I wouldn't take Bose equipment for free because I don't like the sound of it. For the same price of Bose/Beats you can get more/better value with higher end stuff (and thats just on the materials surface).

Also, it's metal to rebel against the masses :X

Excellent choice. I was just listening to The Rack and Last One On Earth over the weekend. Martin Van Drunen is truly the Death Metal vocals God.

Hell yes. I agree about Drunen as well. Very distinct, and oddly emotional despite sounding as ugly as hell. I love John Tardy for the same reason.

Hell yes. I agree about Drunen as well. Very distinct, and oddly emotional despite sounding as ugly as hell. I love John Tardy for the same reason.

I love John Tardy as well. He has a unique approach and technique on how he just "throws" his death metal vocals instead of belching it from his throat. Also unique how he improvises his vocals never penning lyrics down, but a very loose structure.

Blackheim

Speakers: I use Swan M200 MKIII active desktop speakers paired with Polk Audio 10" active sub connected to my PC aka jukebox, currently screaming some Rigor Mortis :) Have somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 CDs, growing all of the time.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I use speakers my grandfather had custom built in the early 80s and they're the shit. My record player and amp are roughly the same age and pretty average-tier even for their time, and I don't have a CD player at the moment. Which I really wouldn't have thought could suck so much.

Speakers: I use Swan M200 MKIII active desktop speakers paired with Polk Audio 10" active sub connected to my PC aka jukebox, currently screaming some Rigor Mortis :) Have somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 CDs, growing all of the time.

Prepare to make carcass stew!
Fun Fact, Rigor Mortis poster makes a cameo in the Doogie Howser intro, haha:

NMAqFvP.jpg

Blackheim

Prepare to make carcass stew!
Fun Fact, Rigor Mortis poster makes a cameo in the Doogie Howser intro, haha:

NMAqFvP.jpg

I seem to vaguely remember that haha, and of course the Motorhead poster in Bud's room in Married w/Children... Watched Night Of The Demons last night, and there's metal band stickers on cars and the boombox :p Old CoC spiked skull logo, Motorhead, TSOL, Exodus and such. It's fun watching those old '80s movies and scanning the walls in characters rooms for stuff like that :)

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
286345b1u17.jpg

The German dub in this one is hilarious in retrospect.

I seem to vaguely remember that haha, and of course the Motorhead poster in Bud's room in Married w/Children... Watched Night Of The Demons last night, and there's metal band stickers on cars and the boombox :p Old CoC spiked skull logo, Motorhead, TSOL, Exodus and such. It's fun watching those old '80s movies and scanning the walls in characters rooms for stuff like that :)

Adam Sandler listens to proper death metal: Grave, Asphyx, Morgoth, Obituary, Deicide.

Blackheim

Adam Sandler listens to proper death metal: Grave, Asphyx, Morgoth, Obituary, Deicide.

Well, at least his taste in music isn't as bad as his films are these days :p Speaking of Obituary, I backed their new album Kickstarter a while back and it shouldn't be too much longer until something comes of it, I hope...been a while since there were any updates :/

Jordoon

Once again I'm blown away by some random artist I found on bandcamp. Cairn. I'm not sure how well known they are so I'll post some infos.

Raise the Cairn

thT6Xwh.jpg

tags: acoustic; doom; epic; folk; metal

"Combining elements of European folk, progressive, and doom, Cairn is elegiac metal neither restrained nor defined by a single genre. "

As for Dragons

33Zzf10.jpg

tags: acoustic; doom; epic; folk; metal; instrumental

This one's all acoustic except for the first track, which is also the only track with vocals.

Well, at least his taste in music isn't as bad as his films are these days :p Speaking of Obituary, I backed their new album Kickstarter a while back and it shouldn't be too much longer until something comes of it, I hope...been a while since there were any updates :/

So true! Didn't know that Sander like Metal, though. Good for him. I also think it's cool Jim Carrey loves Cannibal Corpse.

Punch Drunk Love is a great film. I for one also can't wait for Inherent Vice

On another note, I just found out Fenriz is a techno DJ. Mind=blow.

XShagrath

But Dimmu? umm... maybe the last band I would associate with "bitchin' riffs." Glad you like Desul, though.
Dimmu's something I was into in my earlier years, and I can still get into some of their stuff.

Name's something I latched on to at that time, and it's kinda stuck.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

Quoting for huge pics, but here's what I've got, quick and dirty:

NAD VISO HP50s, closed ear headphones
Sennheiser Amperiors, open headphones
Klipsh S4i IIs with Shure black olive foam tips

Got a Sony STR-DN1040 receiver which gets sent sent my music, a good deal of which is lossless, losslessly over AirTunes. That goes to my NHT 5.1 Tower system.

Just moved from a building with Fort Knoxian walls where I had to try to bother anyone to a more average building and I've been trying to minimize how much I bother my neighbor, so I got a SubDude, which honestly has made a real nice subtle impact on the overall sound, too.

Also got a bunch of Hue stuff & Ambify which makes a lot of music a really triply ride.

So true! Didn't know that Sander like Metal, though. Good for him. I also think it's cool Jim Carrey loves Cannibal Corpse.

On another note, I just found out Fenriz is a techno DJ. Mind=blow.

Well, not sure if Sandler is a real fan of metal. That pic above is just a screenshot from the movie Airheads.

Also doesn't surprise me that Fenriz is a techno/house DJ. He's been asked quite a few times in interviews what else he listens to and he always points to techno/house/electronic. You never know though, hard to take him seriously with his humor, being a troll and all.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I just saw Black Sabbath tonight. And.... I was pleasantly surprised. Had pretty much no expectations for Ozzy's performance, I just went because hey, it's Sabbath and I've never seen them with Ozzy before and I felt I had to see them at least once in my life.

But he surprised me, his performance was actually solid. Very good setlist too. I was disappointed in the lack of Symptom of the Universe, Sweat Leaf and Electric Funeral, and that drum solo went on for a bit too long (as they always do) but it was otherwise excellent. Expensive, but well worth it! Really glad I went.

Flynn

So I just saw Black Sabbath tonight. And.... I was pleasantly surprised. Had pretty much no expectations for Ozzy's performance, I just went because hey, it's Sabbath and I've never seen them with Ozzy before and I felt I had to see them at least once in my life.

But he surprised me, his performance was actually solid. Very good setlist too. I was disappointed in the lack of Symptom of the Universe, Sweat Leaf and Electric Funeral, and that drum solo went on for a bit too long (as they always do) but it was otherwise excellent. Expensive, but well worth it! Really glad I went.

This was my exact response to the show. Also gotta say it feels real good to hear an arena full of people singing along to Sabbath deep cuts.

Dimmu's something I was into in my earlier years, and I can still get into some of their stuff.

Name's something I latched on to at that time, and it's kinda stuck.

Yeah, I think that came off as more snobbish than I meant it to. Forgive my cognitive dissonance between pic and post. :)

SOME-MIST

*thumbs up*
a PTA adaptation of Pynchon should be pretty awesome, even if it isn't as strong as some of his other bibliography. still one of the better books I read in the past few years.

Kaladin

Satyricon: love or hate?

Listening to Vikingland and it's amazing how much they've changed. The chants at the end are definitely some of my favorites in metal.

I love some Satyricon. Frost is awesome and this band is more accessible to my tastes than 1349 can be.

Also, I saw them open for Cradle of Filth once and caught Frost's drumsticks. They were destroyed. I still have them actually and could post a pic later today if anyone is interested.

Kaladin

New Opeth album June 17th:

Pale Communion, which was produced by bandleader Mikael Åkerfeldt and mixed by longtime collaborator and Porcupine Tree frontman/guitarist Steven Wilson, will be heralded by the lead single, “Cusp of Eternity,” and available for pre-order starting Tuesday, May 6. Pre-orders made via the iTunes Store will receive an instant download of “Cusp of Eternity,” with multiple configurations also available via both the Roadrunner Records Webstore and O Merch.

The new material finds Opeth once again challenging the boundaries of extreme music. In a recent interview with VICE’s Noisey, Åkerfeldt stated, “I wanted to do something more melodic with this album…there’s stronger vocal melodies and more melodies overall…I was pretty consistent with that frame of mind throughout the writing process.” Recently, Metal Injection’s Greg Kennelty broke down Pale Communion in a track-by-track review, exclaiming, “This record knows exactly what it's doing and nails it through and through…one of my favorite records of 2014. If not my favorite record of 2014.”

The track listing for Pale Communion is as follows:

1. Eternal Rains Will Come
2. Cusp of Eternity
3. Moon Above, Sun Below
4. Elysian Woes
5. Goblin
6. River
7. Voice of Treason
8. Faith in Others

Cudder

New Opeth album June 17th:

Pale Communion, which was produced by bandleader Mikael Åkerfeldt and mixed by longtime collaborator and Porcupine Tree frontman/guitarist Steven Wilson, will be heralded by the lead single, “Cusp of Eternity,” and available for pre-order starting Tuesday, May 6. Pre-orders made via the iTunes Store will receive an instant download of “Cusp of Eternity,” with multiple configurations also available via both the Roadrunner Records Webstore and O Merch.

The new material finds Opeth once again challenging the boundaries of extreme music. In a recent interview with VICE’s Noisey, Åkerfeldt stated, “I wanted to do something more melodic with this album…there’s stronger vocal melodies and more melodies overall…I was pretty consistent with that frame of mind throughout the writing process.” Recently, Metal Injection’s Greg Kennelty broke down Pale Communion in a track-by-track review, exclaiming, “This record knows exactly what it's doing and nails it through and through…one of my favorite records of 2014. If not my favorite record of 2014.”

The track listing for Pale Communion is as follows:

1. Eternal Rains Will Come
2. Cusp of Eternity
3. Moon Above, Sun Below
4. Elysian Woes
5. Goblin
6. River
7. Voice of Treason
8. Faith in Others

Can't wait. I really didn't like Heritage. Between this and new Agalloch the month before I'll be heaven.

Also, what does everyone think of the new Sonata Arctica?

*thumbs up*
a PTA adaptation of Pynchon should be pretty awesome, even if it isn't as strong as some of his other bibliography. still one of the better books I read in the past few years.

We shall see. I don't think adapting, say, Gravity's Rainbow would be a good idea, but Vice should be more suited towards film. The film is in good hands, hopefully (Anderson is a great director), so I have high hopes for it.

Satyricon: love or hate?

Listening to Vikingland and it's amazing how much they've changed. The chants at the end are definitely some of my favorites in metal.

I'll take a yay for them. Great Black Metal band.

Top Bottom