• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

those two together sounds incredible, that's awesome that you got to witness that!

that you mentioned the Bone Awl side of that split reminded me that I need to recommend Harassor. I'm linking their latest LP for new listeners' sake but just go back to the s/t and Hater of Man for the ultra raw stuff.

Harassor (CA) - Into Unknown Depths

also I will be trying to catch this show early January although it will be tough given that my new job is a little unforgiving with time off.

Nice, I'll have to check out Harassor. You haven't steered my wrong with any recommendations yet.

It's pretty cool you guys have the whole BTC thing going on on the west coast. I'm an NYC guy, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled to see if they come around this way. I only get out to 2-3 shows a year nowadays.

*shrugs* Whatever their thing is, it sucks.

I finished listening to the album earlier. It's underwhelming at the very best. It's often straight-up garbage. Not a single song is improved, or at least different-but-equally-good kind of thing (I could say the latter might apply to Where Hope and Daylight Die, the male vocals are quite good at least, but that's literally the only positive example). Even the Caladan Brood song, while at least competent, doesn't add anything (and the black-metal vocals on the "and at the gates, the trumpets rang..." line were goofy and totally unnecessary).

Why anyone would listen to this over original Summoning songs is beyond me. What a wasteful project.

I just don't see where you're coming from here, in Wedru's case or the whole set. Agree to disagree, for sure.

In light of that Summoning tribute, what is everyone's favorite Summoning album?

I'm going to have to go with:

R-369942-1127036873.jpeg.jpg

Ravager61

In order:

Stronghold
Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame
Oath Bound
Minas Morgul
Dol Guldur
Old Morning's Dawn
Lugburz

I could probably swap Minas Morgul and Dol Guldur depending on my mood.

Nice, I'll have to check out Harassor. You haven't steered my wrong with any recommendations yet.

It's pretty cool you guys have the whole BTC thing going on on the west coast. I'm an NYC guy, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled to see if they come around this way. I only get out to 2-3 shows a year nowadays.

I tend to notice the traditional black metal fans in this thread so when they come around I like to post more haha. I have to get one more off my chest following this chain of recs.

One Master (MA) - Reclusive Blasphemy

this band is just killer. Right amount of old school touches, great punky edge. This LP is one of my favorites of last year.

also yeah, I do feel pretty fortunate to be on the west coast for black metal reasons. Not only do we have BTC but the whole CW/Klaxon circle as well (Bone Awl, Cirrhus, Furdidurke, etc.). I will say though that New York has had a few cool underground black metal releases through the years. You guys have Negative Plane and its related bands. I also enjoy the demos of Roman Cross and Ash Pool. There's a little known circle kind of building momentum right now that goes by House of First Light. I really don't know a ton about it but you can try the demos from Hand of Glory, Sanguine Eagle, and Imperial Trumpet.

I tend to notice the traditional black metal fans in this thread so when they come around I like to post more haha. I have to get one more off my chest following this chain of recs.

One Master (MA) - Reclusive Blasphemy

this band is just killer. Right amount of old school touches, great punky edge. This LP is one of my favorites of last year.

also yeah, I do feel pretty fortunate to be on the west coast for black metal reasons. Not only do we have BTC but the whole CW/Klaxon circle as well (Bone Awl, Cirrhus, Furdidurke, etc.). I will say though that New York has had a few cool underground black metal releases through the years. You guys have Negative Plane and its related bands. I also enjoy the demos of Roman Cross and Ash Pool. There's a little known circle kind of building momentum right now that goes by House of First Light. I really don't know a ton about it but you can try the demos from Hand of Glory, Sanguine Eagle, and Imperial Trumpet.

Listening to this One Master right now and it's killer. Totally up my alley. Love how they've melded the squalls of noise, guitars and blastbeats with the, like, crust punk breakdown. Definitely gonna listen to this more. Thanks for another on point recommendation! I've been sleeping on finding new stuff.

I think you just inadvertently proved that the west coast has superior black metal, haha. A few years ago when I went to more shows it was Yellow Eyes, Malkuth, Krallice and whoever happened to come through town. Funny you should mention Ash Pool. That's Domonic Fernow's band and he had a label/shop called Hospital Productions that I would go to every other month or so and the dude turned me on to tons of great stuff like Akitsa, Circle of Orobouros, Malkuth, Ashdautus, etc.

Edit: Man this One Master is heavy as shit.

He is also the guy behind Prurient, no?

Yep, I think he was also in Cold Cave for a while.

Edit: MezzoForte, have you listened to Sesso Violento? Totally gnarly blackened crust punk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e0WA-IuiUc

The vocals are ridiculous in the best way! Plus that album goes a few interesting places that aren't expected of your typical blackened crust punk band. Revisiting this, I realize I haven't listened to any of their other stuff but need to now.

haha well I certainly wasn't trying to prove otherwise, just that there are really some cool artifacts in what one might consider a true black metal underground out in the EC. And I actually love the shit out of Yellow Eyes who are legit one of my favorite American bands. What they have accomplished in five years is amazing to me. Krallice is sick too but I figured they weren't really in the same scope of black metal being discussed, as with YE.

that Sesso Violento is great! Cheers. Exactly the rec I needed today.

SOME-MIST

Krallice pretty much lost me after Dimensional Bleedthrough. They are wayyyy too prog-wanky now for my tastes.

that's colin marston and mick barr for you and luckily I was a big fan of both of them before krallice was a thing.
to be honest though, diotima is my favorite release so far followed by hyperion and dimensional bleedthrough.

wasn't a big fan of years past matter and ygg huur.

---
other than new krallice, I've really been digging the debut bolzer lp from last month that people were talking about on here.
https://bolzer.bandcamp.com/album/hero

Loved the first Krallice album, but basically lost interest with each subsequent album. I think they lost some of their power as they got more complex. Diotima has some great work on it though. Haven't listened to anything past that.

I got a chance to see them with Gorguts and Portal, that was sick. Portal live was an unreal experience.

Anyone here fuck with Orthrelm (OV) or Ocrilim (Annwyn)? I like to post them in "best guitar solo" threads and see Eric Clapton fans melt down.

Regiruler

You know that Cry Venom album I mentioned a little while back? Apparently Syu (Galneryus) is a guest artist for one of the songs which caused my interest to rise substantially.

SOME-MIST

Anyone here fuck with Orthrelm (OV) or Ocrilim (Annwyn)? I like to post them in "best guitar solo" threads and see Eric Clapton fans melt down.
yeah.. it's sometimes not bearable for long listens, but I would love to see it live and mad respect to mick barr. his short stay in the flying luttenbachers was really welcome because it almost seemed like a toned down orthrelm for him.

I actually helped crowdfund his ocrilim album "strings/through - chamber music for the electric guitar" which I enjoyed for what it was - I got a cool handdrawn art book from him along with the physical cd with both songs. tbh I find his acoustic work much more interesting than his electric material.

yeah.. it's sometimes not bearable for long listens, but I would love to see it live and mad respect to mick barr. his short stay in the flying luttenbachers was really welcome because it almost seemed like a toned down orthrelm for him.

I actually helped crowdfund his ocrilim album "strings/through - chamber music for the electric guitar" which I enjoyed for what it was - I got a cool handdrawn art book from him along with the physical cd with both songs. tbh I find his acoustic work much more interesting than his electric material.

Very cool! I had no idea he did acoustic stuff so thanks for the heads up. Now I need to go find it and give it a listen.

I saw Mick do Ocrilim live and it was pretty wild. The endurance is real.

New Skálmöld album is out

Vögguvísur Yggdrasils
a2qOxYk.jpg

Another phenomenal Skalmold album, and a really cool bonus disc. Covers of Alestorm, Sigur Ros, fucking Finntroll Nattfodd(!).

oh shit, the live tracks are from the Icelandic Orchestra performance, and these songs are a few of the highlights from that too. This might be the one of the best bonus discs of all time.

I'm making a concerted effort to check out more so called atmospheric black metal. Gonna start with Aureole and Mare Cognitum. Any recommendations? The rawer, the better. Part of the reason I haven't really messed with the genre yet was that my first impression was it was too technical and clean for my tastes, but it seems I might have been wrong.

Ravager61

I'm making a concerted effort to check out more so called atmospheric black metal. Gonna start with Aureole and Mare Cognitum. Any recommendations? The rawer, the better. Part of the reason I haven't really messed with the genre yet was that my first impression was it was too technical and clean for my tastes, but it seems I might have been wrong.

There's tons of raw stuff out there. I guess it depends on what your definition of atmospheric black metal is.

Sounds like Black Cilice might be up your alley. One of my favorite albums from last year. Raw as fuck.
Black Cilice - Mysteries

You may also dig some of these. They are on the rawer end of the spectrum too.
Walknut - Grave Forests and Their Shadows
Knokkelklang - Avgrunnens klangverk
Coldworld - Melancholie²
Woods of Desolation - As the Stars
Ethereal Shroud - They Became the Falling Ash

This might be too clean, but I love this album:

Veldes Ember Breather https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rh2Yj7tE0o

There's tons of raw stuff out there. I guess it depends on what your definition of atmospheric black metal is.

Sounds like Black Cilice might be up your alley. One of my favorite albums from last year. Raw as fuck.
Black Cilice - Mysteries

You may also dig some of these. They are on the rawer end of the spectrum too.
Walknut - Grave Forests and Their Shadows
Knokkelklang - Avgrunnens klangverk
Coldworld - Melancholie²
Woods of Desolation - As the Stars
Ethereal Shroud - They Became the Falling Ash

I guess that's the thing, I don't really have a definition. I'm familiar with Black Cilice, wicked stuff.

This might be too clean, but I love this album:

Veldes Ember Breather https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rh2Yj7tE0o

Not categorically against clean stuff. Good is good. I'll check it out, thanks.

I made this post a while ago that seems like a good one to look at. I wasn't thinking "atmospheric black metal", but I think those recs are relevant. Here are some others:

Sortilegia (ON)
Trist (CZE)
Nyktalgia (DEU)
Paysage d'Hiver (CHE)
Darkspace (CHE)
Vemod (NOR)

some clean and more mid paced, some raw and blasty, most all drawing from Burzum in some way.

Top Bottom