• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Tankard

e47c48c2de63a373b94062afa22a9d66.jpg

X-Frame

What's up everyone, I need some help in identifying what it is about the band Mechina (Symphonic Metal) - Bandcamp that is disagreeing with my ears.

For anyone not familiar with this band the above link is to their most recent album on Bandcamp.

When I listen to this music, why does the music sound so incredibly flat? Like there is no separation between any of the instruments whatsoever. I am sure this music is mostly all made digitally, but still. I also can't listen to this music at the same volume as almost all my other music without getting a headache.

Not only the flatness, but it also sounds like the music is 100 feet away or something.

Does anyone else hear what I am hearing or is it just me being weird?

What's up everyone, I need some help in identifying what it is about the band Mechina (Symphonic Metal) - Bandcamp that is disagreeing with my ears.

For anyone not familiar with this band the above link is to their most recent album on Bandcamp.

When I listen to this music, why does the music sound so incredibly flat? Like there is no separation between any of the instruments whatsoever. I am sure this music is mostly all made digitally, but still. I also can't listen to this music at the same volume as almost all my other music without getting a headache.

Not only the flatness, but it also sounds like the music is 100 feet away or something.

Does anyone else hear what I am hearing or is it just me being weird?

Yeah this sounds like really crappy. Constant chugging djenty riffs (the biggest red flag for me) drowned in a fake symphony. As Brian said, the drums are triggered too and just feel weak and inauthentic.

I'm about a month late to this, but the new Saor record might just be good enough to sneak into my top 5 of the year. Andy Marshall is amazing. Link to the Bandcamp:

Saor - Guardians

The song that's up for streaming is called Hearth and is perhaps my favourite on this album. The Scottish vibe to the melodies really sets this stuff apart, which is to be expected, as Andy is a Scotsman. A-grade Atmospheric Black Metal.

I'm about a month late to this, but the new Saor record might just be good enough to sneak into my top 5 of the year. Andy Marshall is amazing. Link to the Bandcamp:

Saor - Guardians

The song that's up for streaming is called Hearth and is perhaps my favourite on this album. The Scottish vibe to the melodies really sets this stuff apart, which is to be expected, as Andy is a Scotsman. A-grade Atmospheric Black Metal.
New Soar is fucking amazing. I feel like the production values are higher than normal from them, since the last bit of theirs i listened to was really low-fi.

New album is spectacular.

New Soar is fucking amazing. I feel like the production values are higher than normal from them, since the last bit of theirs i listened to was really low-fi.

New album is spectacular.

Yeah, the production values are certainly higher than Aura, but I feel like this record deserved a better production due to how much more prevalent the melodic portions are here than they were on Aura. Or am I misremembering?

Some strong words there man. I thought Speglas and Temisto were as close as we were gonna get to Morbus Chron. Gonna put this on my list now, thanks.

I guess that all depends upon how highly you hold Morbus Chron! Hopefully I didn't set expectations too high but I find it to be better at doing the psychedelic death metal thing better than both of those bands.

e_i

Master Boot Record has released a album of video game covers, but it looks like it's only for people who bought his other stuff.

Edit: Here's some of the tracks on Soundcloud

blahness

Cadaveric Fumes - Dimensions Obscure

This may be the best death metal release of the year for me. Dank, weird, psychedelic OSDM that is incredibly well done across the board. Like a better Morbus Chron or Tribulation.

Near the top of my list as well. Was hyped for it earlier this year as I enjoyed their other EPs, so I am glad they are starting to get some wider recognition. They just released a compilation CD of all of their EPs on Blood Harvest records for those interested.

Also, just found out that Vektor broke up :-(

Does anyone else go back to bands they don't like to see if they're just missing something or not getting it?
because apparently I'm an asshole for thinking 'Unlocking the truth' is no good
I don't care if they're 14

blahness

Why? Their twitter links to a statement on facebook that doesn't exist.

Basically it said that they have grown apart creatively, meaning Dave vs the rest of the group, and that there is no drama to be had from it. The Vektor name stays with Dave and he can recruit new members to continue the band.

Bitanator

Basically it said that they have grown apart creatively, meaning Dave vs the rest of the group, and that there is no drama to be had from it. The Vektor name stays with Dave and he can recruit new members to continue the band.

This is one of my nightmares, Erik Nelson is one of my favorite guitarists, his talent will be missed on that band

Does anyone else go back to bands they don't like to see if they're just missing something or not getting it?
because apparently I'm an asshole for thinking 'Unlocking the truth' is no good
I don't care if they're 14

I don't really do this unless someone keeps recommending a band.

I saw Unlocking the Truth a few years ago at Heavy Montreal. They were unremarkable. I think I remember being amused because they were trying to act like they had tons of life experiences.

lordxar

I don't really do this unless someone keeps recommending a band.

This right here. There's too much to listen to so if a band fails on a quick pass...shrug. I will go back though if people keep talking about it. Now replays also work the other way for me too. I ditched several albums I'd added to my list earlier in the year. Guess they scratched by and a second pass confirmed the bad choice.

Dripping (NJ) - Disintegration of Thought Patterns During a Synthetic Mind Traveling Bliss

finally got this fucker on CD and wanted to recommend it for fans of old school brutal/slam death metal. Really don't have much to say other than it's one of those perfect albums for me in just about all aspects when it comes to this kind of music. Even the drops are tasteful. It's the right middling between more technical OSDM and earlier slam. I basically find myself listening to this album all the way through every time I put it on. Hardly a chore at a little more than 20 minutes but still, there are many musical breaks that don't come off as the usual skip-me interludes and it paces real nice. Look for the Bring the Suffering compilation by these guys for more material.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Dripping (NJ) - Disintegration of Thought Patterns During a Synthetic Mind Traveling Bliss

finally got this fucker on CD and wanted to recommend it for fans of old school brutal/slam death metal. Really don't have much to say other than it's one of those perfect albums for me in just about all aspects when it comes to this kind of music. Even the drops are tasteful. It's the right middling between more technical OSDM and earlier slam. I basically find myself listening to this album all the way through every time I put it on. Hardly a chore at a little more than 20 minutes but still, there are many musical breaks that don't come off as the usual skip-me interludes and it paces real nice. Look for the Bring the Suffering compilation by these guys for more material.

Lol. Shit. Haven't heard that in fucking ages!

I like this.

So just tried Thergothon for the first time and while I very much like harsher vocals, holy shit this guy sounds like he's burping. Too bad because everything else sounds awesome and I even dig the weird mixing.

So just tried Thergothon for the first time and while I very much like harsher vocals, holy shit this guy sounds like he's burping. Too bad because everything else sounds awesome and I even dig the weird mixing.

Vocals may click for you over time. Thergothon are probably my favorite doom metal group ever.

Vocals may click for you over time. Thergothon are probably my favorite doom metal group ever.

I'll give it some time because I absolutely loved everything else, I especially love how alien it all sounds. There's some early Tangerine Dream sounding keyboards that I didn't see coming. I might get used to the weird vibration of sorts on the vocals.

I'll give it some time because I absolutely loved everything else, I especially love how alien it all sounds. There's some early Tangerine Dream sounding keyboards that I didn't see coming. I might get used to the weird vibration of sorts on the vocals.

There is definite Tangerine Dream in Thergothon.

I totally get not liking the vocals, they are really weird. Glad you liked everything else though!

Tankard

Speaking of AOTY's , we are doing ours on the Metal community?

I got mine almost ready, just trying not to forget any important one to recommend.

lordxar

Still finishing off 2016 releases and this Devilment album came up. I like the music but the vocalist...seems familiar. Looked it up and sure enough it's Dani Filth which is interesting to hear his vocals used in a different band.

606133.jpg

Top Bottom