• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

the-simpsons-spinal-tap-satan.jpg

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Ha, just saw the cover of the new Ulver, and I guess I have to buy it based on that alone, seeing that I had this as desktop for the last 6 years:

Doomshine

https://t.co/6ij9LFdlbV
I wonder if a castlevania song per album will be a continuing DragonForce gimmick.

something something konami...

Speaking of video game covers... according to this interview with Jari, Ensiferum played some The Last Ninja 2 music live when he was still in the band. Unfortunately I can't find any footage of it.

There's other video game related stuff in the interview too, like his favorite games and soundtracks. Big fan of C64 music apparently.

Bitanator

Progressive thrash spotlight

Sieges Even - Life Cycle

latest

not only of the best products of the German prog thrash scene, Sieges Even debut album is still one of the ten best offerings in the subgenre period. For fans of Toxik, Wolf Spider, Heathen, German prog, ect..

Ha, just saw the cover of the new Ulver, and I guess I have to buy it based on that alone, seeing that I had this as desktop for the last 6 years:

Using a photo of Bernini's sculpture is A E S T H E T I C, but it is also aesthetically frustrating that the title of the album "The Assassination of Julius Caesar" has nothing to do with the image they chose lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
In my journey through the Opeth discography I've arrived at Ghost Reveries and one thing that strikes me is the heavy Tool vibe I get from this album, Lateralus era. Ghost Perdition has the (pretty much exact?) riff from The Grudge and there's the bongo drumming in Atonement. Favorite song of that album is The Grand Conjuration

New Suffocation song is out and it sounds awesome!

They'll never match their 90's material but as far as the post-reformation albums go I think Blood Oath fucking rules and this song sounds like something off Blood Oath only faster. I'm excited!

Now we just need to hear some of the new Dying Fetus!

New Suffocation song is out and it sounds awesome!

They'll never match their 90's material but as far as the post-reformation albums go I think Blood Oath fucking rules and this song sounds like something off Blood Oath only faster. I'm excited!

Now we just need to hear some of the new Dying Fetus!
Jesus christ, the double bass sounds like programmed Russian slam

Song is pretty cool, much better than their last album

Coming from you I'll assume that's a compliment.
It is, lol. It's more disbelief, like the fills/blasts at the beginning are just like.....they almost don't sound good because of how double bass spammy they are. Song is unremarkable as a whole by Suffocation standards but I do dig it

It is, lol. It's more disbelief, like the fills/blasts at the beginning are just like.....they almost don't sound good because of how double bass spammy they are. Song is unremarkable as a whole by Suffocation standards but I do dig it

For me Suffocation are the musical equivalent of Stephen King in that I'm so blinded by my own fanboyism I can't tell what's good or bad anymore, I'll just consume it all regardless.

For me Suffocation are the musical equivalent of Stephen King in that I'm so blinded by my own fanboyism I can't tell what's good or bad anymore, I'll just consume it all regardless.
Not sure what the general consensus is on it but I really, really dig the self-titled record. Guitar tone is just so good, Frank still kills on vocals, drums are lethal

Haven't really cared for anything they've done since. Especially on the last two albums when they've gone for a weird squeaky clean tone that isn't really representative of the band live (or previous albums)

Not sure what the general consensus is on it but I really, really dig the self-titled record. Guitar tone is just so good, Frank still kills on vocals, drums are lethal

Haven't really cared for anything they've done since. Especially on the last two albums when they've gone for a weird squeaky clean tone that isn't really representative of the band live (or previous albums)

lol the self titled is actually my least favorite Suffo record!

My own preferences: The 90's stuff > Souls to Deny > Blood Oath > Pinnacle of Bedlam > Self-titled.

Different suffo-strokes for different suffo-folks i guess.

Now I gotta go listen to Souls to Deny again. Immortally Condemned is so fucking killer. Fucking love that guitar tone.

Also in other metal band news Phil Tougas posted another First Fragment playthrough and once again it's totally killer! Seriously if "Neoclassical Tech-Death" sounds like your thing then go get the First Fragment debut album right now! The album has fretless basslines so crazy that when their bassist left they band they had to replace him with Dominic ''Forest'' Lapointe. That says it all.

Quikies83

About to hit the road to Birmingham Alabama for The Sonic Unrest tour. Can't wait to see The Contortionist and hopefully Periphery throws on a good show.. also sorta excited to see Norma Jean :)

The new Ulver is great!

"Poor little sister, I hope you'll understand. The babe in the woods will be taken by a wolf."

It's an absolute masterpiece. I love how they consistently nail all kinds of different styles like they were always doing that. This almost feels like an album M83 might pull off but I think it's way more well realized overall and it's just more ambitious when you focus in the small details. There's always this edge with Ulver, other bands and projects often feel trapped in their genre but they feel free as fuck to just roam around and it absolutely sounds like it.

I fucking love them.

I'm drunk and can't remember if I posted this or not, but the new Pallbearer is extremely good. Might not be Sorrow and Extinction level for me, but fuck is it good.

Foreigner is probably one of my favorite doom tracks since Warning were exuding wonderfulness.

ShaneB

Sabaton posts make me sad. I waited too long to buy tickets to see them and Battle Beast on the 27th .. now they're sold out.

friday

Fuck, the Dark Mofo festival lineup is pretty good.

Ulver, Mournful Congregation, Grave Miasma, Taake, Mogwai and a LOT of other shit. Like Xiu Xiu performing the music of Twin Peaks.

Top Bottom