• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Bloodlust is way better than I thought it would be. I felt that Manslaughter was kinda cheesy but I'm really liking the more serious tone.

Also Lamb of God is going on hiatus after the tour which sucks, was really looking forward to the Sturm Und Drang follow-up.

GutsOfThor

Bloodlust is way better than I thought it would be. I felt that Manslaughter was kinda cheesy but I'm really liking the more serious tone.

Also Lamb of God is going on hiatus after the tour which sucks, was really looking forward to the Sturm Und Drang follow-up.

I didn't realize that Juan from Agent Steel and Evil Dead was in Body Count till recently lol.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Started listening to Opeth and began with the obvious Blackwater Park. I'm a few listens in and it's really growing on me. Very versatile album, goes all over the place but in the best way possible. Where do I go from there, most recent album and Heritage?

Calderc

Started listening to Opeth and began with the obvious Blackwater Park. I'm a few listens in and it's really growing on me. Very versatile album, goes all over the place but I mean that as a compliment. Where do I go from there, most recent album and Heritage?

I'd move on chronologically. Deliverance/Damnation double, Ghost Reveries then Watershed. Damnation is all slower, proggy stuff but it's divine.

New Opeth is vastly, vastly different. Think 70's prog/jazz fusion. No death elements whatsoever and very little 'metal'. Still very, very good.

Slaegt posted an update on their forthcoming new album:

Cannot fucking wait. Their first album Ildsvanger was straight up old Darkthrone black metal worship. Their second album Beautiful and Damned took a turn to a polished blackened heavy metal sound. I have no idea what this new album will sound like, but I hope they continue their path. One of the only few young modern bands that are exciting.

I hope that's not true. Not that they're a bad band at all, decent stuff, but it's not anything that stands out too much.

I've been going through my early 2000's stuff, and almost every album I put in would be an epiphany if it came out now. I'm listening to Einherjer 'Blot', and it would blow my mind if something of that caliber was released now.

I'm going between this thread and other places to find new music and it's been rough.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'd move on chronologically. Deliverance/Damnation double, Ghost Reveries then Watershed. Damnation is all slower, proggy stuff but it's divine.

New Opeth is vastly, vastly different. Think 70's prog/jazz fusion. No death elements whatsoever and very little 'metal'. Still very, very good.

That different Opeth sounds kinda good to me as well. I may do a mix of both eras then. But basically every album since Blackwater Park is worth listening to then, that'll keep me busy for a while.

Spwn

That different Opeth sounds kinda good to me as well. I may do a mix of both eras then. But basically every album since Blackwater Park is worth listening to then, that'll keep me busy for a while.

I'd say even the albums before Blackwater Park are well worth listening. I consider Still Life a top 3 Opeth album alongside Ghost Reveries and Blackwater Park, with My Arms, Your Hearse coming as a close fourth. There are lots of interesting stuff on the first two albums as well and many consider Morningrise their best effort.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'd say even the albums before Blackwater Park are well worth listening. I consider Still Life a top 3 Opeth album alongside Ghost Reveries and Blackwater Park, with My Arms, Your Hearse coming as a close fourth. There are lots of interesting stuff on the first two albums as well and many consider Morningrise their best effort.

Ok so basically their entire discography is worth checking out. I'm picking stuff at random then. Someone on twitter recommended me Damnation again, so I'm listening to that right now and love it. The first song has a heavy King Crimson vibe to it.

edit: oh god this next song does at well, incredible so far

Hesemonni

Banned
And before anybody tells you otherwise:

51Z7Cs1NgqL.jpg

Morningrise is Opeth's best album by far.

Spwn

Ok so basically their entire discography is worth checking out. I'm picking stuff at random then. Someone on twitter recommended me Damnation again, so I'm listening to that right now and love it. The first song has a heavy King Crimson vibe to it.

If there's a couple I'd skip, they would be Deliverance and Heritage. The title song on Deliverance is one of their best, but otherwise it's a pretty uninspired album. Heritage on the other hand is a mess with a couple of good tunes, but fortunately they got their shit together for Pale Communion.

edit: And totally forgot Watershed. Åkerfeldt's exhaustion with death metal can be heard there. It a very forgettable album, but that's because it was released after their best album. Nothing compares to Ghost Reveries. The funny thing is I initially disliked Ghost Reveries.

Ravager61

Ghost Reveries and Morningrise are my 2 favorite Opeth albums. Pretty much all their albums up through Ghost Reveries are good to great, with maybe the exception of Deliverance.

I'm typically not into much "prog" stuff in metal but I have always kind of had a soft spot for Opeth. Their songs are hooky and dynamic without being just straight wank. There's just a lot of good song writing on their albums. I am not into what they have been doing lately though at all.

Ohnonono

Well holy shit guys Ulcerate is a band that completely went under my radar. These guys are amazing. Has some death metal drumming with cool black metal (kinda Deathspell Omega) atmosphere and killer vocals. I know I am late to the party here but hoooooooooly shit.

Ghost are going to be pretty much done soon, aren't they? This whole lawsuit thing sounds like an implosion.

I thought that was the concept of the band- interchangeable members with the spotlight on Papa Emeritus. I suppose that concept stops being cute for the nameless ghouls when the band gets big.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ghost are going to be pretty much done soon, aren't they? This whole lawsuit thing sounds like an implosion.

I think that is a thing when band becomes too big and egos starts to clash. As Wolfgunblood Garopa said several posts above mine.

They will probably settle on the court about the matter. People on Reddit are blowing this out of proportion.

"Oh, I got an e-mail notification about Converge playing a show near me. I wonder who they're-"

*Neurosis is touring with Converge and Amenra*

"WHY CAN I NOT BUY TICKETS TO EVERY NIGHT OF THIS SHOW YET?!?!?!"

Tankard

Their second effort was ok, love that first one, their third is much better though, glad they came back from that weak effort. The Australian thrash scene is pretty fun to dig into right now

It really is. And so far in the year i'm seeing some great Thrash albums from these new bands, it's very good to see.

So there's a mini festival been announced in a remote part of Australia featuring this bill. Words can't describe how excited I am

Taake
Anaal Nathrakh
Barshasketh
Grave Miasma
Mournful Congregation

RDreamer

I'm actually super addicted to the new Mastodon. It's probably going to end up being number 1 or 2 for me of theirs. Up there with Crack the Skye.

Also, new Ulver is rad. Probably weird to discuss it here that much since it's so not metal.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ok, tell me what part of Mastodon you like, please.

For reference: I hate their first album, got warm with Leviathan over time, and just fucking love Crack The Skye. Blood Mountain has to be their weakest album overall.

Oh man tell me you at least like March of the Fire Ants, that's their best song. I saw a set once where the ending songs were Iron Tusk => March => Blood & Thunder and that's just fire. Ranking the albums I'd go

1. Crack
2. Leviathan
3. Remission
4. Blood Mountain (not consistent in quality but it has some of their best songs)
5. The Hunter
6. Emperor of Sand (listened to it a bunch and it may end up above The Hunter)
7. Once More (not a fan at all, the only poor album they've put out)

Top Bottom