• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Ravager61

FY9QRpe.jpg

if you're in NY you would be a fool not to be at this tonight.

I wish. I've been listening to a lot of House of First Light these last few days. Everything from them is great.

I wish. I've been listening to a lot of House of First Light these last few days. Everything from them is great.
absolutely. One of my favorite entities in black metal right now, and they're barely starting. Psychic Violence stated that Sanguine Eagle already have several albums' worth of material ready to be recorded. I was just like, what.

tomorrow's show I believe is supposed to be a release show for Vanum's Burning Arrow. Posting it here just in case anyone missed it. Great stuff from the guys behind Ash Borer and Fell Voices.

Burning Arrow

Ronabo

Lttp: Black Sabbath's 13.

I was really surprised how good this album is. I pretty much like all the tracks on it. I didn't pay any attention to it's release, so what was the consensus on it here?

bebop242

On mobile but Ne Obliviscaris and Allegaeon just announced a USA/Canada tour.
Tour dates on their Facebook.

In for New Orleans

Yea saw this, wish I could go, saw Allegaeon earlier this year and enjoyed it. Alas it requires traveling and I'm out of vacation for the year. Don't know Ne Obliviscatis, any recommendations?

A lot of good recommendations by others already that I agree with, but you may also like "Au Champ Des Morts" which is a band I recommended earlier this year in this thread and "Year of No Light", both are also French bands. The latter is kind of a fusion of stuff, there's definitely some blackgaze tracks but they're really post-metal but I recommend checking out both.

Au Champ Des Morts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RNzbpnVdlA
Year of No Light (it's not every day you see two drummers). Not a blackened track but it's one of my favourites from the band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0VuOfvYpko&t=3m8s This one is more blackened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdeJ_ylcVf0

And yeah I'd say blackgaze is the correct genre - some people say "blackened shoegaze" but it 's the same thing, Alcest being the quintessential example of blackgaze. There's a bit of cross over of atmospheric black metal and blackgaze because some bands do a fusion of it with some tracks/albums. You may also want to explore all the genres that are "blackened" like "blackened doom" if you're a doom metal fan. The thing with "atmospheric black metal" can be confusing because a lot of black metal tries to invoke atmosphere with how instruments are sometimes overlayed and how a lot of vocals aren't even supposed to be audible to "listen to" but part of the atmosphere, however some bands are very distinct with its themes of atmosphere, like using nature or bands like Summoning with Tolkien themes. I'd say black metal that invokes traditional satanism themes is what one can differentiate from atmospheric black metal, so bands like Bathory, Gorgoroth, Behemoth (early) are not what I'd call atmospheric for example but for example some of Agalloch's albums, Wolves in the Throne Room, Summoning are what I'd call atmospheric black metal.

I had never heard of Year of No Light. Really good stuff, thanks.

I haven't read the whole exchange, so I'm not sure if they've already been mentioned... but I really like Les Discrets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIH5QLjGCf0
and Amesoeurs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TE6WWacPlY.
Amesoeurs is another of Neige's projects (of Peste Noire and Alcest fame).

XShagrath

Flying up to Atlanta for ProgPower in the morning. Pretty excited to see some of these bands, especially Serenity, Angel Dust, Haken, and Myrath. The list of bands is pretty stellar overall though. Anyone else going?

Boy those MDF announcements huh.......ugh

Don't give a fuck about Satyricon at all but uh, I guess I'll see Frost live? Unless they can't even do that, then I'll give up entirely

Gray Matter

Flying up to Atlanta for ProgPower in the morning. Pretty excited to see some of these bands, especially Serenity, Angel Dust, Haken, and Myrath. The list of bands is pretty stellar overall though. Anyone else going?

Saw Haken this past weekend and it was awesome. Played "the architect" as their last song, it was good but I really wanted to see them play visions... and they did. Best encore ever.

Also, are you seeing BTBAM or not?

Quikies83

Yea saw this, wish I could go, saw Allegaeon earlier this year and enjoyed it. Alas it requires traveling and I'm out of vacation for the year. Don't know Ne Obliviscatis, any recommendations?

Give these a go - one from each album. They're a very good progressive metal band from Australia. The violinist does the clean vocals.
I met them a year and a half ago when I drove 3 hour to see them open for shitty cradle of filth in Memphis. They were all extremely humble and friendly guys.

https://youtu.be/njcIyK2qGb0

https://youtu.be/aMorAdnCixg

XShagrath

Saw Haken this past weekend and it was awesome. Played "the architect" as their last song, it was good but I really wanted to see them play visions... and they did. Best encore ever.

Also, are you seeing BTBAM or not?

Haken will be doing the entire Visions album during their set, as well as a few other songs.

I'm not super into BTBAM, but I've heard they put on a good show. We'll stay for at least part of it. Have no interest in Metal Church headlining that night, so that would be the one day that we leave early.

Gray Matter

Haken will be doing the entire Visions album during their set, as well as a few other songs.

I'm not super into BTBAM, but I've heard they put on a good show. We'll stay for at least part of it. Have no interest in Metal Church headlining that night, so that would be the one day that we leave early.

I would love to see them play visions all the way through, loved the finale when they played it.

Cindro

Has anyone checked out the new Anubis Gate?

I love the guys, but their new one isn't on Spotify. I'm wondering if it's worth a digital purchase, but I haven't bought an album in years. The whole concept of paying for music beyond my monthly spotify fee feels like such a relic of the past!

Still, I'm very tempted...

ShaneB

the new Arch Enemy album is lit

Was going to post it was a solid album, but then Murder Scene started and the back half of the album is awesome.

Has anyone checked out the new Anubis Gate?

I love the guys, but their new one isn't on Spotify. I'm wondering if it's worth a digital purchase, but I haven't bought an album in years. The whole concept of paying for music beyond my monthly spotify fee feels like such a relic of the past!

Still, I'm very tempted...

Was actually wondering the same thing since it's not on GPM.

Cindro

Was actually wondering the same thing since it's not on GPM.

Alright brotha, I took the $9.99 hit and bought it (I'm drunk and talked myself into it)

For context, my two favorite AG albums are their self-titled and Andromeda Unchained. I also really adore the first half of Horizons, but think it falls apart during the final few songs.

If our tastes align and my input would be helpful, I can let you know my thoughts after a few spins \m/

How the hell have I only just heard of Monkey3? Awesome instrumental doom/sludge/stoner goodness. They're playing near me in a couple of weeks, definitely gonna head along.

ShaneB

Alright brotha, I took the $9.99 hit and bought it (I'm drunk and talked myself into it)

For context, my two favorite AG albums are their self-titled and Andromeda Unchained. I also really adore the first half of Horizons, but think it falls apart during the final few songs.

If our tastes align and my input would be helpful, I can let you know my thoughts after a few spins m/

Of course. Share what you think whenever you can.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Shortly after leaving the tour bus and driving away, at 12:43 p.m., the friend was pulled over on North Washington Street near West Boone Avenue on suspicion of driving under the influence, according to court documents.

In the back seat of a patrol car, the friend was allowed to use her cellphone to call the other woman, who reported the rape. A state trooper said he couldn’t help without a specific location and proceeded with his DUI investigation.

Ya cuz a cell phone wouldn't be of any help in locating someone.

That's a horrible story.

Top Bottom