• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mist S1 |OT| Thursdays on Spike TV

Wow, I never realized this show even existed till today. It's okay so far.

Hopefully there is actually creatures in the mist and they're just waiting to introduce them. Or that most of the CGI budget is in the later half of the season.

Buckle

Wow, I never realized this show even existed till today. It's okay so far.

Hopefully there is actually creatures in the mist and they're just waiting to introduce them. Or that most of the CGI budget is in the later half of the season.
Yeah, if theres no mist creatures, this show can just go fuck right off a cliff.

They were a big part of what made The Mist interesting.

yeah, after three episodes I'm still waiting for it to get somewhere good. I really want to abstain from judgment, but the use of bugs as replacement for monsters is kind of cheap, and the plot is dragging its feet to get anywhere. I don't know whether to keep with it or drop it, but I don't see much reason to keep it.

Terrible so far, bad acting, bad writing, laughable mist cgi. Feels like a mix of the worst parts of walking dead and under the dome.

That one girl's reaction to being raped with her friend was so bad. They're just chilling on the bed joking around and she just says, "I wonder when I'll be able to enjoy my favorite song again, maybe 2 weeks?", as if rape just makes listening to music annoying as the only repercussion. Her acting is garbage.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
EDIT: Whoops, holiday messed me up. I thought Episode 3 was on tonight. lol

Calibos

Terrible so far, bad acting, bad writing, laughable mist cgi. Feels like a mix of the worst parts of walking dead and under the dome.

That one girl's reaction to being raped with her friend was so bad. They're just chilling on the bed joking around and she just says, "I wonder when I'll be able to enjoy my favorite song again, maybe 2 weeks?", as if rape just makes listening to music annoying as the only repercussion. Her acting is garbage.

Agreed 100%

I would add that the reaction from everyone to everything happening in this show is laughably bad. The show has major writing, direction, pacing and cinematography issues.

It could be the worse attempt at a Stephen King series yet...Under the Dome, The Shining(mini) and The Stand(mini) following behind in order for me.

Speevy

Banned
I feel like yelling at the creators of this show.

"Okay guys, listen. It's a mist with monsters in it. The monsters kill people. That's all you have to do. Whatever else you do, it doesn't matter. Just have the monsters kill a lot of people, all the time."

Parch

It took awhile before they showed any monsters in the movie. They'll get to it eventually, but it will probably be just a tentacle or big bugs. I don't think there's a big budget for lots of quality CGI. For now, they'll milk as much drama just showing the "mysterious mist" as they can get away with and go with the gore makeup results.

I expected the first couple of episodes to be a lot of character building and it was. It's looking like the show will just be heavy character drama in their version of a post apocalyptic horror. Pretty much what I was expecting it to be, so I'll keep watching.
Pretty safe to say this won't be winning a lot of Emmys anytime soon. Sure bet is probably never.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
TONIGHT on Under The Mist...

Season 1, Episode 3 "Show and Tell"
At the church, Connor locks up Mia, Jonah, and Kevin in the basement. Back at the mall, Jay confronts Alex to try and convince her he didn't rape her.

Pilgrimzero

Eps 3 - Why did he "grow" wings, that made zero sense.

They better show some Lovecraftian level stuff soon, cause this is not good.

Grizzlyjin

Eps 3 - Why did he "grow" wings, that made zero sense.

They better show some Lovecraftian level stuff soon, cause this is not good.

I think someone hypothesized it was a hallucination created by the mist. Which is possible, even if multiple people see it because soldier and drug addict both "heard" her mother out in the mist. But that old woman is going to snap and become a crazy cult leader, I'm telling ya.

It's probably not a good sign if a show is dragging its feet on Episode 3. They didn't do anything interesting with the body being put outside the mall.

Grizzlyjin

Episode 4 is available at http://www.spike.com/shows/the-mist/episode-guide if you're in the US and have a cable login. Episodes 1-3 are now available at the same address without a login in the US.

Please use spoiler tags to discuss Episode 4 until it official airs on July 13th.

LQX

I think it is getting better.

Also, this is a series. Not a 2 hour movie. Cant expect everything to play out so fast.

Grizzlyjin

TONIGHT!

Season 1, Episode 4 "Pequod"
Kevin, Mia, Bryan and Adrian leave the sanctity of the church and arrive at an abandoned gas station where they try to reason with a father amid fears of the whereabouts of his own child. At the mall, Alex comes face to face with the mist.

How did this go so wrong? They had solid source material in the form of the novella and the superb move. Why the fuck did they screw around with the mist and turn this shit into what it is.

Veelk

Banned
I see this show as something of an experiment, even if it's one that's not going very well.

Particularly in turning the Mist into a force of magic instead of just a byproduct of an interdimensional portal. But also in the characterization of how different characters grapple with stuff.

I just wish it wasn't so boring in its execution.

LQX

This show is getting better. What a great episode tonight, except for that rapist, murdering, whiny fucking kid surviving.

Kard8p3

Not on Netflix yet :( hopefully by tomorrow? I loved the book and enjoyed the movie but haven't seen a single thing about the show.

Up on Netflix Canada now. I feel obliged to give it a shot since it was filmed around here though this thread doesn't give me a lot of hope.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Holy shit the show is amazing!.
A whole bunch of stupid the first few episodes.
Then it gets gooooood.

I see this show as something of an experiment, even if it's one that's not going very well.

Particularly in turning the Mist into a force of magic instead of just a byproduct of an interdimensional portal. But also in the characterization of how different characters grapple with stuff.

I just wish it wasn't so boring in its execution.

Wait, the Mist is magic in this show? I need deets before I decide whether I wanna jump into this thing.

Just finished watching this on Netflix, I really enjoyed it. The only thing I knew going into it was that it's a lot more character driven than the film, so maybe that's why I enjoyed it more than those who were expecting a tentacle-themed bloodbath. It's very much a show about the various ways people fall apart, whether on an individual or societal level.

Spoiler regarding what's in the Mist for those who were asking about what's in there:

Nothing, sort of. The Mist itself is the creature and uses your fears against you. For one person it'll be death by bugs, for another a dead relative talking them into suicide and so on.

kurahador

Wait, the Mist is magic in this show? I need deets before I decide whether I wanna jump into this thing.

The mist in this show only
manifest your fear/guilt/love/obsession (not sure which lol) and then the thing kills you
Oh yeah, there's also some sort of a
smoke monster

Dr.Acula

Banned
Just finished se1, it was... okay. Super melodrama-y, kinda dumb, but it moved forward well enough. I like that it wasn't just people trapped in one place, but trapped in different places, and people moving around to new places. I think it was good to binge because it was so silly.

I'm not crazy about
the "gay psychopath" trope.

eso76

I tried to watch it on Netflix but turned out that was the movie instead. So I watched it again.
Had forgotten how much of TWD cast was there :D

As for the series, I don't think it even needs monsters or gore. Those can be just hinted at. What made the novel was characters dynamics and development. but that would take good writers and actors, possibly good cinematography too.

Now I haven't seen the series but the source material wasn't really about "monsters". It was about showing a microcosm of people.

Speaking of Stephen King's adaptations "the storm of the century" is never mentioned anywhere. Now, granted it's one of the few stories of his I haven't read, but I thought the mini series was rather good.

Paertan

Tried watching the first episode with my girlfriend. We didn't finish it. Terrible characters. Doubt anything could make me give this another go. I wanted to like it because I liked the movie but nope.

Just finished se1, it was... okay. Super melodrama-y, kinda dumb, but it moved forward well enough. I like that it wasn't just people trapped in one place, but trapped in different places, and people moving around to new places. I think it was good to binge because it was so silly.

I'm not crazy about
the "gay psychopath" trope.

Honestly, that's the first time I've ever seen that "trope". And it seems like it diverges from that trope because he isn't painted as a psychopath from the start and his warped motivations seem like a product of his messed up upbringing at the hands of his father. If anything he seems more complex than nearly all the other characters in this show.

Speaking of Stephen King's adaptations "the storm of the century" is never mentioned anywhere. Now, granted it's one of the few stories of his I haven't read, but I thought the mini series was rather good.

That's because it was an original Stephen King screenplay.

CREMSteve

The titular menace makes no sense.
It's supposed to manifest your greatest fear, so why do some people not see anything whatsoever, while others get attacked directly by it without any manifestations at all?
Shit like that drives me batty. I did like the ending though, intrigued me enough to want to see it continue.

I could barely get through episode 1. It was so bad and it seems like from people's reactions it doesn't get any better. It's like they forgot the show they were making 5 minutes in and filled the middle 30 with as many dramatic topics as they could. Teacher teaching sex ed gets fired. Rape victim gets blamed and shunned. Black guy harassed by cops. Kid dealing with homophobia and gender issues. Drug addiction. Environmentally conscious hippie conspiracy lady. Then they remember it's a horror story by Stephen King in the last few minutes. I can already tell they are going to try and redeem the rapist football player by having them work together to survive. Maybe he even sacrifices himself to save the girl he raped. I wouldn't put it past them.

I tried to watch it on Netflix but turned out that was the movie instead. So I watched it again.
Had forgotten how much of TWD cast was there :D

As for the series, I don't think it even needs monsters or gore. Those can be just hinted at. What made the novel was characters dynamics and development. but that would take good writers and actors, possibly good cinematography too.

Now I haven't seen the series but the source material wasn't really about "monsters". It was about showing a microcosm of people.

I would say that Storm of the Century is the best King we have had on television, because he wrote it specifically for that venue. Not straight up horror but really disturbing and unsettling, underneath it all, and of course, he nails small town folks.

What are some other TV minis worth watching based on King?

Just finished watching this, entirely because I love the movie. Basically, every character is a piece of shit aside from
Alex and Jay. Maybe the junkie and the military guy too
. But yeah, not sure I would have continued if I didn't like the premise and a couple of actors I respect being in it. Haven't read the book but
is the mist portrayed as playing on people's psychology in it? Because that was a bit of a change I didn't expect from the movie. Thought the mist was just an atmosphere of sorts for the monsters to live

mrkgoo

I just finished this season.

It's one of the dumbest things I've seen lol

none of the characters are likeable, the story makes no sense. Dialogue is horrible. I wound up hate-watching this because I wanted to find out how it unravels and what they make of the premise, I'll give I that.

However, the ending turned out to be totally ridiculous on all fronts. None of the characters actions makes any lick of sense.

I started watching it because I actually liked the movie and the idea that under such conditions people wind up turning on each other for random reasons, so I thought they could make some good character drama or commentary, but nah.

I do like some of the shots, and the acting is ok in places, but it was a really frustrating show.

mrkgoo

I could barely get through episode 1. It was so bad and it seems like from people's reactions it doesn't get any better. It's like they forgot the show they were making 5 minutes in and filled the middle 30 with as many dramatic topics as they could. Teacher teaching sex ed gets fired. Rape victim gets blamed and shunned. Black guy harassed by cops. Kid dealing with homophobia and gender issues. Drug addiction. Environmentally conscious hippie conspiracy lady. Then they remember it's a horror story by Stephen King in the last few minutes. I can already tell they are going to try and redeem the rapist football player by having them work together to survive. Maybe he even sacrifices himself to save the girl he raped. I wouldn't put it past them.

It gets miles worse.

I'm going to spoiler the ending for you, just in case -
Rape victim starts falling for her rapist after, yes you guessed it, he saves her life. Then as it turns out he's not her rapist, he's her half brother. The rapist ends up being her gay best friend. I'm not kidding.

And that's just the rapist thread. The other storylines are also bad.

The mist in this show only
manifest your fear/guilt/love/obsession (not sure which lol) and then the thing kills you
Oh yeah, there's also some sort of a
smoke monster

So, my guess from seeing the first trailer was right on the money, it The Mist by way of
Silent Hill.

Top Bottom