• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Multiformat Artshots Thread (formerly part of the PC screenshots thread)

2uid8q0.jpg

2r5t01c.jpg

Raistlin

TheOctagon,

Out of curiosity, just how beefy of a computer would I need to get those games running at a respectable framerate?

Pikelet

Im surprised theres been none of Dragon Age Origins. Actually I should comb my harddrive for some...

I might be in the minority but i think that game looks a lot better when it is in the overhead view, the kind of view that probably wont be affected that much by large amounts of SSAA.

Im sure someone will prove me wrong though.

Raistlin said:
TheOctagon,

Out of curiosity, just how beefy of a computer would I need to get those games running at a respectable framerate?

That all depends on what you call respectable. Bear in mind that not all of those screens are captured using tools like Fraps - some are grabbed at super hi-res and then shrunk to eliminate aliasing. I also have a high tolerance for framerates most would consider heresy on PC, and probably even on console. I have a GTX285 Nvidia card and ageing Core2Duo; the former does most of the heavy lifting.

The reason this thread exists is because some users of the PC screenshot thread weren't comfortable with shots that weren't 100 per cent indicative of gameplay. That was more about image quality and anti-aliasing than composition and content, though I think the last two are actually the more misleading.

Short version: get the most expensive videocard you can and play everything using 2x2 supersampling or greater at middling framerates. The end.

UT2K4 really does win the thread. I had no idea that shit existed.

VAIL said:
Why no SL?

I'm worried it'll turn the thread into a junkyard of dress-up dolls and goth poetry. I'm all for the former, but only if they carry guns.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You might as well have just posted a link to your flickr and told people to go wild. It's not like anyone else is going to contribute much. And it's funny because there are still people coming in here thinking this is representative of what they will get on a PC at 60 fps or something.

Stallion Free said:
You might as well have just posted a link to your flickr and told people to go wild. It's not like anyone else is going to contribute much. And it's funny because there are still people coming in here thinking this is representative of what they will get on a PC at 60 fps or something.

Flickr seems to be too much hassle for some people who'd rather just scroll through pages than follow links. At least everyone knows the gist of the thread now.

Definitely no more archive stuff from me, though. That lot almost killed me.

I'm going to have to add something about PC tech questions to the OP. They really belong elsewhere.

Well that was an awesome collection, lol, especially some of the pictures with weird things going on (MoH: Airborne, guy looked forward while the other guy behind him could shoot him).

Plus people add their wipeout HD pictures, if more console screenshots were added

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheOctagon said:
Flickr seems to be too much hassle for some people who'd rather just scroll through pages than follow links. At least everyone knows the gist of the thread now.

Definitely no more archive stuff from me, though. That lot almost killed me.

I'm going to have to add something about PC tech questions to the OP. They really belong elsewhere.
Just add a line that says, "this shit isn't playable, but fuck, isn't it pretty?"

Also, there are some seriously lazy fucks if they can't handle following a link to your Flickr and then open up the albums that interest them in new tabs. I did that a long ass time ago when you linked to your site.

As for the gist of the thread, you are still going to get a lot of screens that are of shit quality (content may be great though).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
World of Warcraft dump I didn't feel like taking on the real hi-res thread.

2hx9krl.jpg

o2yxd.jpg

Twig

Banned
Fredescu said:
That's not what the term refers to. If you thought Alyx was in the uncanny valley you would find her repulsive. Have a look at the graph in the Wikipedia article for a good quick understanding of it, and then the first image here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/engineering/robots/4343054 as a good example of it in practice.
I have seen the term employed many times in both the context you describe and the context in which I used it.

Now, you might be saying all those other usages I've seen were examples of people who didn't know the meaning of the term. That's fine. That just puts a large group of people in the wrong. I'm okay with that.

EDIT: I see the confusion, now. You thought I meant "uncanny valley" as in "I know it's unrealistic, therefore it is the uncanny valley." I actually meant, "if you think this is realistic, you must not have an uncanny valley."

gokieks

Not all that amazing-looking anymore, but going through my old GT4 screen shots just made the wait for GT5's Nov. 2nd that much harder. Even for a 5+ year old game, it still looks damned good:

XKE_TK_01.JPG

NSX_TypeR_Shibuya_07.JPG

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Twig said:
Oct, you should've put "MY SHOTS ARE NOT PLAYABLE" in the thread title to avoid confusion. ;_;
Lol I tried to tell him. The thread is going to consist solely of his screens and people asking how they can play games like that and what kind of computing monstrosity he runs this shit on.

DonMigs85

Oct, you should consider getting a cheap Core 2 Quad Q6600 or better to beef up your system a bit if it'll fit in your mobo. But the GPU is still quite good.

Stallion Free said:
...people asking how they can play games like that and what kind of computing monstrosity he runs this shit on.

I will break them.

And anyway, there's been some wicked stuff in the thread so far. A Blade Runner UT map! The goons from Virtua Cop! A missile! I may as well not be here.

I did just find these lying in my Blur folder, though. The screenshot pixies must be out again as I don't remember taking them. They're photo mode shots, you can't play them. There.

A Blade Runner UT map!

Fredescu

Twig said:
EDIT: I see the confusion, now. You thought I meant "uncanny valley" as in "I know it's unrealistic, therefore it is the uncanny valley." I actually meant, "if you think this is realistic, you must not have an uncanny valley."
I see what you're saying now. I think it's more likely that he hasn't experienced the uncanny valley, rather than him not having one.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Read the last few pages of the other thread and did some research on down sampling. I understand now. Sorry for being noob. I haven't PC gamed in 5 years and almost creamed my pants after seeing some the shots.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Fredescu said:
I see what you're saying now. I think it's more likely that he hasn't experienced the uncanny valley, rather than him not having one.
I was going to go with him having a warped sense of reality. I mean, I have never seen a video game character that I would confuse with a real life photo. Ever.

geebee

Banned
Damn this thread is depressing.. why don't the games look this good when I'm playing them? :lol

And that Blade Runner map for UT 2004 looks amazing.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just a really simple screenshot:

6z595c.jpg

Twig

Banned
Fredescu said:
Well, it was also mostly meant to be a light-hearted not-totally-serious comment.

But that's all ruined now. ;_;

Top Bottom