• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Multiformat Artshots Thread (formerly part of the PC screenshots thread)

b.e.r.g

derFeef said:
Those Trackmania shots are lovely. Makes me want to play that game now.
Game is free! What you waiting for?

More old shots:

Game: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Developer: Splash Damage, id Software
Platform: Windows (Mac, Linux available)
Modifications: None
Enhancement: Downsampled
Method: Playback of a recorded game. Depth of focus and custom resolutions added via console commands.

Full set at flickr

b.e.r.g

Game: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Developer: Splash Damage, id Software
Platform: Windows (Mac, Linux available)
Modifications: None
Enhancement: Downsampled
Method: Playback of a recorded game. Depth of focus and custom resolutions added via console commands.

Full set at flickr

DryvBy

Tain said:
Captain Commando, CPS1:

y1p8Zw8R03n6e5l0yHrMzTSQ8VRvT4XrAT3oaXB9LLmqv9flIXMlrFVfagz2BcSsZrhMSYthd3i6JvdK_WcLsqZRWvr2_jCBIup

Hope that last one is okay!

Lol, ok, even for 2D, it's funny to me that the lightning bolt, which produces light, somehow caused a shadow under the few character's feet near it, yet the people further away have no shadows.

I just wanted to pop in here and say thanks to TheOctagon. My current collection of wallpapers that I cycle through are his Mass Effect 2 art shots. I was snatching them up in the previous thread. I usually use any of the environment shots that either don't include characters or the characters are not the focal point. Awesome work.

Tain

DryvBy2 said:
Lol, ok, even for 2D, it's funny to me that the lightning bolt, which produces light, somehow caused a shadow under the few character's feet near it, yet the people further away have no shadows.

They all have shadows, it's just that they only appear every other frame for the illusion of transparency. All the dudes without shadows will have them next frame, all the dudes with won't.

ACH1LL3US

TheOctagon said:
That all depends on what you call respectable. Bear in mind that not all of those screens are captured using tools like Fraps - some are grabbed at super hi-res and then shrunk to eliminate aliasing. I also have a high tolerance for framerates most would consider heresy on PC, and probably even on console. I have a GTX285 Nvidia card and ageing Core2Duo; the former does most of the heavy lifting.

The reason this thread exists is because some users of the PC screenshot thread weren't comfortable with shots that weren't 100 per cent indicative of gameplay. That was more about image quality and anti-aliasing than composition and content, though I think the last two are actually the more misleading.

Short version: get the most expensive videocard you can and play everything using 2x2 supersampling or greater at middling framerates. The end.

Could you explain the difference qaulity wise between 2x2 supersampling and lets say 4x AA( that is what I use). Maybe some pics showing the difference? Wouldn't 2x2 supersampling on my GTX480 lower frame rates alot or no?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Burnout2-1.jpg

Burnout1-1.jpg

Game: Burnout Paradise
Developer: Criterion Games
Platform: Windows
Mods: Zero
Enhancements: 8xQ Anti Aliasing, downsampled from 1920 x 1080.
Method: Fraps + Auto hiding GUI.

Dennis

Banned
Vlodril said:
TheOctagon must be playing on some parallel universe , none of my games look like that.
Yes, its a mystery.

The thread should be renamed to

"The Multiformat Artshots Thread (No, your game will not look like this)"

Stop It

Vlodril said:
TheOctagon must be playing on some parallel universe , none of my games look like that..

Fantastic shots.
He's a very clever bunny, I'll give him that. These next couple of shots are slightly rubbish, the next 2 after this will not be so rubbish, I promise.

UT1-1.jpg

UT2-1.jpg

Game: Unreal Tournament 3
Devloper: Epic Games
Platform: PC
Enhancements: 16xQ AA, Tiledshot high res shot
Method: Tiledshot + screenshotmode

derFeef

Game: Left 4 Dead 2
Developer: Valve
Mods: None
Enhancements: 8x Edge Detect AA w/ Adaptive AA
Method: Custom Resolution, hide UI, Fraps.

Stop It

Ok, maybe they will :p

Witcher9-1.jpg

Witcher7-1.jpg

Game: The Witcher
Developer: CD Projekt RED
Enhancements: None
Method: Fraps

b.e.r.g

Love the calmness of those L4D screens... specially since I know there are zombies hiding everywhere :D

My GPU is currently borked, so playing the newer and more demanding games freezes my computer :( So it'll have to be the tad outdated ones for now...

Game: TrackMania United
Developer: Nadeo
Platform: Windows
Modifications: Custom cars
Enhancement: Multisampling with nHancer, downsampled
Method: Replay of a saved race. Using in-game camera and screen capture abilities

Full set still available over at flickr

Beautiful stuff. Contributing with this old (and far less exciting compared to some pics in this thread, Mass Effect ones are amazing) pic of Eddy Raja:

scmJVUzsW.png

b.e.r.g

Jeeeesus... they sure got some skilled 3D artist over at Epic! I remember this from as far back as the original UT. Where I questioned why they didn't make a game that would actually benefit from all the beautiful scenery and architecture. The only thing UT players do is complain about crowded and dark hallways, and then play the game at lowest settings to maintain 125fps.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Holy shit at that airship level mod and at the facing worlds custom level too. Seriously, I'm in shock of how good those look. O.O

Tain

UT3 shots are getting nutty in here. Such a tragedy that UT3 couldn't be the next UT2K4, for whatever reasons.

Twig

Banned
Jesus Christ I had no idea UT3 had such an awesome aesthetic going for it. I only played it once for like ten minutes and was like "ow". No time to stop and smell the roses. ):

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ogs said:
(Had this one on the hard drive, including another but its spoiler worthy)
Noooooooo. I was going to resist picking up Silent Hill: Homecoming for 10$... but you just convinced me to do it. I can't resist the calling now.

Top Bottom