• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NCAA Men's College BASEBALL Official Thread of June Madness -Back home in Omaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Stony Brook is first team from New York to advance to Omaha since 1980 when St. John's did.

Stony Brooks total cumulative home attendance for the entire season: 5800

Haven't followed college baseball all year, but I'm finally getting excited for the cws. I'm from Omaha and have had tickets to all of the games for as long as I can remember. Excited to see how many people cheer for Stony Brook...it's always great seeing an underdog win like fresno state a few years ago.

Hopefully there isn't a giant black death cloud that forces me to take cover in the hotels across the street, but well see!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
College World Series First Round schedule:

Friday June 15th:

5pm:
4. Stony Brook
vs.
1. UCLA (#2 National Seed)

9pm:
1. Arizona
vs.
1. Florida State (#3 national seed)

Saturday June 16th:

5pm:
1. Oregon (#5 national seed) OR 3. Kent State
vs.
1. Baylor (#4 National Seed) OR 2. Arkansas

9pm:
1. South Carolina (#8 National Seed)
vs.
1. Florida (#1 National Seed)

impirius

dancincocky.gif
dancincocky.gif
dancincocky.gif
dancincocky.gif
dancincocky.gif
dancincocky.gif
dancincocky.gif

YEAH! Getting a CWS bid never gets less exciting!

Three very interesting matchups in the first round so far. I think FSU and Arizona should be allowed to use the old bats for one night only.

Ceebs

dancincocky.gif
dancincocky.gif
dancincocky.gif
dancincocky.gif
dancincocky.gif
dancincocky.gif
dancincocky.gif

YEAH! Getting a CWS bid never gets less exciting!

Three very interesting matchups in the first round so far. I think FSU and Arizona should be allowed to use the old bats for one night only.

Not happy about having to play you guys right out of the gate.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Rootin' for the underdogs tonight:

Kent State because CWS can always use northern schools (and it helps me make fun of B1G whiners)

and Arkansas because we owe Dave Van Horn everything we have.

Go Noles. This is our 21st trip to Omaha. I hope we don't blow it like usual. 21 trips and 0 championships. That's got to be the worst CWS record in the NCAA. I hope we break the streak this year. The team is good, but it was good when Buster Posey was on it a few years ago and we couldn't in that CWS either. The utter demolishment of Stanford gives me high hopes though.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
COLLEGE WORLD SERIES (JUNE 15TH-26TH/27TH) SCHEDULE
(all times Eastern)

Bracket One:

Friday June 15th:
Game 1 5pm:
4. Stony Brook vs. 1. UCLA (#2 National Seed) - ESPN2

Game 2 9pm:
1. Arizona vs. 1. Florida State (#3 national seed) - ESPN2

Sunday June 17th
Game 5 5pm:
Loser Game 1 vs Loser Game 2 - ESPN2

Game 6 9pm:
Winner Game 1 vs Winner Game 2 - ESPN2

Tuesday June 19th:
Game 9 8pm:
Winner Game 5 vs Loser Game 6 - ESPN

Thursday June 21st
Game 11 5pm:
Winner Game 9 vs Winner Game 6 - ESPN2

Friday June 22nd:
Game 13 5pm:
Winner Game 9 vs Winner Game 6 (if necessary) - ESPN2

---------winner of above double elimination bracket meets winner of below bracket in Best of 3 College World Series Final

Bracket Two:

Saturday June 16th:
Game 3 5pm:
3. Kent State vs. 2. Arkansas - ESPN

Game 4 9pm:
1. South Carolina (#8 National Seed) vs. 1. Florida (#1 National Seed) - ESPN

Monday June 18th:
Game 7 5pm:
Loser Game 3 vs. Loser Game 4 - ESPN2

Game 8 9pm:
Winner Game 3 vs Winner Game 4 - ESPN2

Wednesday June 20th:
Game 10 8pm
Winner Game 7 vs Loser Game 8 - ESPN

Thursday June 21st:
Game 12 9pm
Winner Game 10 vs Winner Game 8 - ESPN2

Friday June 22nd
Game 14 9pm
Winner Game 10 vs Winner Game 8 - ESPN

ALL CWS FINAL GAMES AT 8PM on Sunday June 24th, Monday June 25th, and if necessary Tuesday June 26th on ESPN

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The only unfortunate thing is this is where my involvement ends. I'm off to Europe this weekend for the duration of the series, and will miss ever single game.

Don't cry for me, it's an epic vacation. I've very much enjoyed watching the first couple rounds, and I think folks are in for a hell of a series

MrCWS83

Rootin' for the underdogs tonight:

Kent State because CWS can always use northern schools (and it helps me make fun of B1G whiners)

and Arkansas because we owe Dave Van Horn everything we have.

When you say we, who the hell do you mean? I'm guessing Nebraska
Don't pay attention to Delany and former Minnesota coach talking about trying to get separate Big Ten baseball series

MrCWS83

I know all about DVH, I just didn't know who "we" was.
Jstevenson must have played for him in Lincoln to consider himself part of the Nebraska program

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Jstevenson must have played for him in Lincoln to consider himself part of the Nebraska program

Weird thing to pick out. While I find "we" to be annoying when talking about a pro team, I see nothing wrong with it when describing your college team. I do it all the time with Arkansas. Not so much on these boards since not everyone would recognize who I am talking about, but that is because I don't normally have a Razorback themed avatar and unless you are a big follower of college football you wouldn't get my tag.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

*shrug* - I was going to Husker Baseball games at the Buck when there were 20 other people in the stands. During my undergrad I think I missed maybe 1-2 home games each year. I didn't miss a single playoff game during that span, except for the second half of a regional game that I had a wedding to go to (so I attended the first 5 innings in a tux). Even now I listen to almost every game.

I've gone to away regionals, and caught every West Coast appearance of the team in the last six year (so stoked for next year with what sounds like at least 3 California away series).

I own a baseball jersey but have never owned a football one.

So yeah, we. I'm one of the biggest Nebraska Baseball fans you'll find. I think the fans owe DVH just as much as the school / team does

edit - you a bluejay or something?

Tedesco!

I say "we" for only two teams. Kent, because I went to school there. I'm proud I went there, especially since practically everyone in the state of Ohio, regardless of what school they went to, roots for Ohio State. I also say "we" for the Cincinnati Reds because I once worked for them.

MrCWS83

*shrug* - I was going to Husker Baseball games at the Buck when there were 20 other people in the stands. During my undergrad I think I missed maybe 1-2 home games each year. I didn't miss a single playoff game during that span, except for the second half of a regional game that I had a wedding to go to (so I attended the first 5 innings in a tux). Even now I listen to almost every game.
I've gone to away regionals, and caught every West Coast appearance of the team in the last six year (so stoked for next year with what sounds like at least 3 California away series).
I own a baseball jersey but have never owned a football one.
So yeah, we. I'm one of the biggest Nebraska Baseball fans you'll find. I think the fans owe DVH just as much as the school / team does
edit - you a bluejay or something?

No, I wasn't intending to be as big a jerk as it came off as. The whole "we" mentality as a fan just really bugs me. Whether it be college or pro. And another thing, the whole true Husker fans who despise Creighton fans. That's absolutely rediculous. I wouldn't claim myself a big Creighton baseball fan but I am a big fan of the basketball program. I would like to see both CU and NU be respectable teams constantly making regionals in both baseball and basketball. Sorry Nebraska basketball hasn't been relevant since the Danny Nee days, the coaching hires just haven't panned out since then. In college basketball I like numerous teams because of head coaches more than the players on the court.

For the hardcore Nebraska fans who hate on Creighton is retarded. Totally not even compareable schools, it's not like an Auburn basketball fan pulling for Alabama football. CU is in the MVC for Christ's sake, NU has gone from the Big 8/12 to the Big Ten. Improve the basketball team and call out some big boy schools (Indiana, OSU, Michigan, MSU) for rivals. Instead this state has goofballs who are so upset that some Nebraska football fans want to jump ship over bball season and claim Creighton basketball, a successful mid major program, minus any deep NCAA runs over a polished terd Big Ten program. That bugs me way more than the "we" thing!

I've shed light on that issue with friends and turned haters to fans. My point is valid. I can tell you that about half maybe more of the fans that go to CU games go for the beer and to be seen rather than actual being "fans". On top of that most CU students are snobs, rich kids. If Creighton stunk in basketball nobody would give a shit to get angry if someone likes NU football and CU basketball. I want to see both schools do well in their sports

Kudos for being a huge NU baseball fan. I like the direction that Erstad/Bolt/Silva have it going. It'd be huge for them and the Big Ten to get back to where they were in the DVH days. Imagine if they did by 2014 when TD Ameritrade hosts the conference tourney, it'd be packed red

impirius

The only unfortunate thing is this is where my involvement ends. I'm off to Europe this weekend for the duration of the series, and will miss ever single game.

Don't cry for me, it's an epic vacation. I've very much enjoyed watching the first couple rounds, and I think folks are in for a hell of a series
Enjoy the trip, and thanks for all the work on the thread! Don't worry about missing the games; if the tournament to date is any indication, the CWS should be a complete borefest anyway.

Meier

Our Bracket feels like it's set up where we could actually make it to the title game. I would not be surprised if it ended up being UF-FSU in the championship.. they've had our number this year unfortunately.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Enjoy the trip, and thanks for all the work on the thread! Don't worry about missing the games; if the tournament to date is any indication, the CWS should be a complete borefest anyway.

I don't know, there's been some damn good games, but I also have watched every super regional game and just about every ESPN / Big Ten Network Regional game too.

I think you'll have a mix of blowouts and late inning dramatics the next couple weeks.

Well finally have a reason to watch the CWS in a good while. My Girlfriend went to Kent st and when i would visit her we went to a handful of games. Think we'll probably watch until they get eliminated, still not a huge fan with cbb and metal bats though.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Well finally have a reason to watch the CWS in a good while. My Girlfriend went to Kent st and when i would visit her we went to a handful of games. Think we'll probably watch until they get eliminated, still not a huge fan with cbb and metal bats though.

you should watch now, the new BBCOR bats have completely toned down the Gorilla Ball of yesterday (and even eliminated that hyper-distinctive ping sound to a large degree). As a result you get much more balanced competition and even a lot of pitching duels/defensive battles.

Generally weekend series, given most teams having an ace, a good pitcher, and an ok one, go like this

Fri - Pitching Duel
Sat - "normal" game
Sun - slugfest

That varies a lot, but generally speaking, the amount of runs goes up throughout the weekend, and with the CWS itself, the format and stresses on a pitching staff make for some sudden breakdowns and some epic swings/momentum.

Anyways, with the exception of Florida State and Arizona this year, you aren't seeing a lot of teams with scores in the teens, and even that is driven by a lot of doubles/triples, as compared to having tons of home runs like in College Baseball of yesteryear

Our Bracket feels like it's set up where we could actually make it to the title game. I would not be surprised if it ended up being UF-FSU in the championship.. they've had our number this year unfortunately.

Yeah. I really hope they screw up and don't make it to the title game. Of all these other teams, I'm the most scared of UF seeing as they have proven they can beat us this year.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Hell, just to illustrate how BBCOR has effected college baseball:

During super regionals, average runs scored per game per team was 4.74.

That's it, roughly 9.5 runs in a game between the two teams.

Take out Florida State's 35 runs in two games, and that average drops to 4.26 runs per team.

So the bats, they ain't an issue anymore. Small ball is back in (and is so fun to watch)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I bought my tickets for Kent's game on Saturday. I'm taking my son. This should make for a good weekend.

Don't know who to root for there, like Cinderella of course, but Dave Van Horn is well-loved in Nebraska. It'll be interesting to see how the local crowd falls on that.

I think Stony Brook will get more unanimous support in Omaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom