• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nerd Crew: A Pop Culture Podcast by Red Letter Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I have my problems with the RLM crew, but I loved this. Yeah some of the stuff in here is a bit reductive of people's points against their Rogue One review, but a.) a lot of people really are unironically parroting all that stuff and b.) I am totally in tune with this wavelength of snark directed at geek podcasts

And I liked Rogue One!

robotrock

Banned
Wait, bobby died? Fuck.

Can't say I agreed with him too often, but his long and informative posts about Star Wars, as well as his overall passion for the series, were a beacon of positivity in this forum filled with so much negativity.

RIP

Wait, bobby died? Fuck.

Can't say I agreed with him too often, but his long and informative posts about Star Wars, as well as his overall passion for the series, were a beacon of positivity in this forum filled with so much negativity.

RIP

He just got banned.

Wait, bobby died? Fuck.

RIP

He got banned for actually not being very positive.

ezekial45

Banned
Why are they so defensive with their Rogue One review? This is like the second they put out mocking all the positive reviews and criticisms regarding their own review.

It's just weird.

Not

Banned
I just tried to find this on iTunes. Is it not up yet?

EDIT: Yes, this is genuine, and yes, I feel dumb, and yes, I wish they had an actual podcast

Ekai

They're talking about Rogue One... again?

It's similar to their hate for Ghostbusters/defense of the man-babbies who already hated it before knowing anything besides it having women. They're obsessing over it. : /

I'll watch this later but haven't been too impressed with their output lately.

213372bu

Banned
Why are they so defensive with their Rogue One review? This is like the second they put out mocking all the positive reviews and criticisms regarding their own review.

It's just weird.

I think you're confused, this is RLM's new podcast.

It will provide lots of positivity and not focus on the small nitpicks their reviews are known for.

I like RLM but they where way off with their review of Rogue One.

Good movie and vetter than anything since the original trilogy.

Not

Banned
It's similar to their hate for Ghostbusters/defense of the man-babbies who already hated it before knowing anything besides it having women. They're obsessing over it. : /

They do have a tendency to judge representation as a gimmick. I don't think the Rogue One bashing is going as far as Ghostbusters though. Plus they're not nearly as bad as a lot of the "nerds" in their same demographic are. Jesus, the fact that they understand and respond to criticism in the first place with reasonable justification already places them above 89% of YouTubers.

I like RLM but they where way off with their review of Rogue One.

Good movie and vetter than anything since the original trilogy.

Nah, I loved Rogue One but everything they said about the movie was correct, for the most part. Star Wars lives and dies by its characters and Rogue One has VERY slim characterization. My only difference is that I thought the film managed to put in enough characterization by the end such that I cared about the characters. It wasn't a whole lot, but it was enough for me to care about the fate of the cast.

Still, their points along with Jenny Nicholson's critique are all valid.

bounchfx

I think you're confused, this is RLM's new podcast.

It will provide lots of positivity and not focus on the small nitpicks their reviews are known for.

where is the podcast? I see a youtube video. I mean, I like that it's a video, but if I want to subscribe in audio form, where can I find that?

Ekai

They do have a tendency to judge representation as a gimmick. I don't think the Rogue One bashing is going as far as Ghostbusters though. Plus they're not nearly as bad as a lot of the "nerds" in their same demographic are. Jesus, the fact that they understand and respond to criticism in the first place with reasonable justification already places them above 89% of YouTubers.

I can agree with this on some fronts.

213372bu

Banned
He mocked one of Sculli's shitposts and both ended up getting the hammer for 2 weeks.

It's a shame.

He could be here telling us that this is exactly word-for-word what he's been saying this whole time.

It sucks that this podcast had to break it to a community that thrives on small nitpicks.

Now, all of a sudden, what Bobby has been saying this whole time is going to be accepted as the common consensus.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I can agree with this on some fronts.

I don't particularly mind them mocking how much large corporations will try to highlight how diverse they're being, but that seems to extend into genuinely not getting why representation matters at all, or at least being dismissive of it, in ways that happened too often for me to be comfortable calling myself a fan of their stuff anymore. Though they are better than a lot of critics at recognizing racist and sexist stuff in media, especially on Best of the Worst and stuff

It's a shame.

He could be here telling us that this is exactly word-for-word what he's been saying this whole time.

It sucks that this podcast had to break it to a community that thrives on small nitpicks.

Now, all of a sudden, what Bobby has been saying this whole time is going to be accepted as the common consensus.

This kind of dick riding is why Bobby has such a fucking ego here and posts like a condescending asshole.

Anyway, I really like rlm so more new regular content is a plus for me.

Not

Banned
I think no matter what else we all disagree on, we can finally unanimously agree that Rey is the best fictional sci-fi character of the decade

Come togetherrrrrrrr

Ekai

I don't particularly mind them mocking how much large corporations will try to highlight how diverse they're being, but that seems to extend into genuinely not getting why representation matters at all, or at least being dismissive of it, in ways that happened too often for me to be comfortable calling myself a fan of their stuff anymore. Though they are better than a lot of critics at recognizing racist and sexist stuff in media, especially on Best of the Worst and stuff

This is more or less my feeling on the matter......there's more I could say tho I've discussed my thoughts on this before.

I think no matter what else we all disagree on, we can finally unanimously agree that Rey is the best fictional sci-fi character of the decade

Uhhh lol no especially when Furiosa is around and I'm sure there are a ton of others. Rey doesn't even register.

Bronx-Man

Banned
This kind of dick riding is why Bobby has such a fucking ego here and posts like a condescending asshole.

Anyway, I really like rlm so more new regular content is a plus for me.
1v1 him on Dust, my dude

Come togetherrrrrrrr
She's not even the best new character in TFA.

I'll watch this later but haven't been too impressed with their output lately.
Were they wrong about Ghostbusters? They definitely turned "go see this movie to fight sexism" into the main marketing gimmick, and nobody's talked about the movie since it came out.

This is pretty on the nose.

liquidtmd

Banned
I love RLMs style and tone, and the guys themselves. I don't fully agree with them on their review of Rogue One, I don't think being pandered to in the ways the film did was the worst thing to happen to me at a cinema. I enjoyed the film but conversely it felt a tad disposable. I don't think I wish to revisit it on home release, certainly not in the way I wanted to see TFA again

For what this was going for, this podcast lampoon was A+

Bronx-Man

Banned
It gets plenty of side-eye from me, especially now since Diego Luna shared that fan post.

It's just weird.

I kind of get the feeling in recent months that they've realised being negative or cynical about Star Wars is more popular than being positive. The Plinkett Force Awakens review was pretty poor and trying way to hard to be negative about what was generally a very decent movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom