• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Dell XPS 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrene

Banned
I feel like 128gb SSD is still behind. Isn't there a $799 version of this XPS? If there is, i'd imagine it would have nearly the same specs (besides the cpu 2 gens newer) as my Zenbook that I got for the same price 3 years ago. Wtf?

Oh you're right, where's the 10lb version that is 6 inches thick with dual discrete graphics cards and massive ventilation system?!

Leave heavy gaming to the desktop. Intel 5500 is MORE than enough for casual gaming and heavy video tasks.

Uh, couldn't find the 10lb version. Maybe this one will help?

laptop-inspiron-17-5749-BDW-pol-mag-features-2.jpg

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17-5749-laptop/pd?oc=dncwh2436s&model_id=inspiron-17-5749-laptop

For $200 more you get a touchscreen, a discrete Nvidia 840m card, and a 5th gen i7.

Or hell, for the same price, get an Nvidia 860m in the Alienware laptop.

It's beneficial in a lot of ways to have decent graphics performance, and for the cost of a Macbook Air you can get something that can play modern games.

Mr.Mike

It's a beautiful laptop. The cheapest version of this seems like it could be the best laptop on the market right now for most people. It's lacking only in power, which the vast majority of people don't really need much of, especially with an SSD to make everything feel snappy.

I'm tempted to get one, but my current laptop is sufficient. I just really wish that it was lighter and had a longer battery life.

reKon

Banned

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17-5749-laptop/pd?oc=dncwh2436s&model_id=inspiron-17-5749-laptop

For $200 more you get a touchscreen, a discrete Nvidia 840m card, and a 5th gen i7.

It's beneficial in a lot of ways to have decent graphics performance, and for the cost of a Macbook Air you can get something that can play modern games.

You're thinking of the wrong audience. There's a specific market that cares about having a fast, slim, portable and reliable computer with high battery life that can handle any media and not intense mobile gaming.

Right now, this is the laptop I would get. I'd probably but the Signature Edition from Microsoft for no bloatware.

How is the Intel Graphics 5500 for gaming? I have 4XXX and it sucks (the newest game that runs ok on it is The Witcher 1 and Doom 3).

Quite frankly, it sucks for gaming in my opinion. If you want to game, get a gaming laptop, which I don't like, or a Desktop PC which is preferable.

How is the Intel Graphics 5500 for gaming? I have 4XXX and it sucks (the newest game that runs ok on it is The Witcher 1 and Doom 3).

I've heard that it's 20-25% better perf compared to HD4400, which is waht's in my Surface Pro 2.

When I'm in high power / "balanced" mode Civilization V is playable, EU4 can be played on lower speeds, Game Dev Tycoon and indie stuff runs decently. Adjust your expectations accordingly. The 5500 should have no trouble with DOTA2 / LoL / CS:Go and various strategy or indie titles. Don't expect to play Far Cry 4 though.

Will this be able to run World of Warcraft on high settings? Going on a trip to India next month and I need something that can run WoW, SC2, and Diablo 3. Thanks.

BlazinAm

That i7 is a duo core processor I guess that makes sense for battery life on a laptop.

This has a 15 W, 2.4 GHz dual core processor in it. Just so everybody's clear.

The 15 W is great (it's why I'm holding out for the real "5th gen" intels, the 14nm process is going to be great for performance per watt), but a dual core is not something I want any part of in 2015.

BlazinAm

This has a 15 W, 2.4 GHz dual core processor in it. Just so everybody's clear.

The 15 W is great (it's why I'm holding out for the real "5th gen" intels, the 14nm process is going to be great for performance per watt), but a dual core is not something I want any part of in 2015.

That is how I feel, I have a Toshiba laptop with a gen 3 i3 duo core and it is fine even upgraded the ram to 12 GB but the laptop only cost me $300 so there is the difference.

TokiDoki

Love it , I don't mind they drop the 1080p for a cheaper version , it will be a great portable for development and presenting project updates .

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
The insane thing that just dawned on me is that even at 5 mm thin, the bezel is still thicker then the new Dell Venue 8 tablet.

xemumanic

There's another version of this with laptop with a high resolution touchscreen, which companies like Lenovo think that everyone gives a fuck about when most people would take the a significantly higher battery life.

*I* personally want a touch screen, but its _$300_ more.

Aw HELL naw.

But I doubt that would hurt the battery life in any significant way. I don't even understand the relation really.

EDIT: Oh I see why. There's no 1080p touchscreen model? Only 3200x1800? WTF for?

In any case, well-written OP. THIS is a game-changer.

I've had a pretty bad experience with my Dell, which wasn't low-end. Overheating, wonky disc drive, would power off and on on his own. Even after bringing it in for repair I still got problems. Then someone else in my class with the only other Dell also had issues.

The laptops looked good of paper, but ugh, that was a disappointment.

Maybe it is different with other models though.

reKon

Banned
*I* personally want a touch screen, but its _$300_ more.

Aw HELL naw.

But I doubt that would hurt the battery life in any significant way. I don't even understand the relation really.

EDIT: Oh I see why. There's no 1080p touchscreen model? Only 3200x1800? WTF for?

In any case, well-written OP. THIS is a game-changer.

Never mind, just saw your edit.

I have a Dell Latitude E7440 for work and have been extremely impressed with it. Definitely considering getting this for personal use.

Guess Who

Banned
Last Dell I got was a $1200 Studio 17 back in 2008. In hindsight, what a piece of junk. Super creaky plastic, fan died after a year, SD slot never really worked right, slot-loading DVD drive didn't work half the time, battery lasted two hours brand new. Sigh.

And the touchpad! Disgusting. Small, didn't ever work right, basically had to use a mouse.

Futureman

I was looking at this thread on my rMBP last night and Apple can definitely cut the bezel on all their laptops. Really looks ugly when you see a machine like this Dell.

hitsugi

Last Dell I got was a $1200 Studio 17 back in 2008. In hindsight, what a piece of junk. Super creaky plastic, fan died after a year, SD slot never really worked right, slot-loading DVD drive didn't work half the time, battery lasted two hours brand new. Sigh.

And the touchpad! Disgusting. Small, didn't ever work right, basically had to use a mouse.

Last Apple I got was a $2500 retina MacBook Pro in 2012. In hindsight, it was a piece of junk. The screen died with minimal use just out of warranty and apple wanted $800 to repair it. I won't even get into the battery issues. Sigh.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Nope.

The build quality of their products is absolute shit.

Got a dell inspiron 15r two years ago and have had zero problems with the build quality or anything else tbh. Been a pretty great experience.

Only time I ever had problems with Dell was probably on a old family Dell Desktop/laptop my mom bought in like 07 where we had nothing but problems left and right

NJDEN

The last XPS 13 was quite good. I saw this in an article earlier this week and was quite impressed.

Guess Who

Banned
Last Apple I got was a $2500 retina MacBook Pro in 2012. In hindsight, it was a piece of junk. The screen died with minimal use just out of warranty and apple wanted $800 to repair it. I won't even get into the battery issues. Sigh.

I don't know what your point here is. If it's "every computer can have problems", then yeah, no shit.

This wasn't really an isolated issue for me, I had two prior Dells in 2004 and 2007 with similarly shitty issues (cracked hinge, dead hard drive, bent power connector, etc.). This XPS 13 looks super nice, but it's hard not to be skeptical when Dell's consumer products have never been known for high quality.

I would go with Alienware 13 over the XPS 13.

- While Dell owns Alienware, Alienware is known for much higher build quality (but also higher price points)

- from 720p all the way 1440p touch screen

- Powerful 860m graphics with 2 GB GDDR5

- It's 4 pounds, and not insanely thin, but the upside is you get a rocksolid keyboard with lots of key travel, and you can swap out the harddrive and ram for whatever you want. That's a massive upgrade.

- CPU is broadwell 15 watt, which gives it 5-6 hours of battery life, and no throttling.

- 2 independant fans keeps the CPU and GPU cool seperately.

- Lighting scheme is cool. lets you alter the colors of different areas of keyboard, logo, back logo and so on, or turn off completely.

Go with this!

hitsugi

I don't know what your point here is. If it's "every computer can have problems", then yeah, no shit.

This wasn't really an isolated issue for me, I had two prior Dells in 2004 and 2007 with similarly shitty issues (cracked hinge, dead hard drive, bent power connector, etc.). This XPS 13 looks super nice, but it's hard not to be skeptical when Dell's consumer products have never been known for high quality.

And Apple issues aren't isolated either. In fact, they lost a class action suit due to how shitty MacBook batteries and chargers were a few years ago.

My point is whatever yours was, clearly. The only difference is I have no brand loyalty.

I need a good 17" screen on my laptops. A full numeric keypad that accompanies it is also key.

I have a Studio 17 I bought in 2009, which I've been thinking about replacing this year.

Mr.Mike

I need a good 17" screen on my laptops. A full numeric keypad that accompanies it is also key.

I have a Studio 17 I bought in 2009, which I've been thinking about replacing this year.

Using those super thin bezels to fit a bigger screen into laptops would also be pretty sweet.

I think I might hold out fingers crossed for a 15" with bezels like that.

That Alienware is actually (I can't believe I'm about to say it) a pretty solid gaming laptop for the price. The lower resolution screen means that 860m, a solid performing card, gets even more longevity.

Piano

Banned
So is the non-touch screen matte while the touch version is glossy?
Couldn't find that listed anywhere.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
So I've been reading that the battery life on this thing is closer to 7-8 hours (opposed to Dell saying it's 15 hours). Really deflates my boner for this thing.

I'd like to buy a laptop while I still have a (small) student discount.

EDIT: Well, some people are reporting around 10 hours.

Tomorrow, I'm going to a Microsoft store hoping to see it in person. This may be my next laptop. I have to see what the next Macbook Air is and what Skylake will bring.

Tomorrow, I'm going to a Microsoft store hoping to see it in person. This may be my next laptop. I have to see what the next Macbook Air is and what Skylake will bring.

Yeah, I'm incredibly impressed by this machine. Its time to upgrade from my 2011 MBA.. Apparently, there will be a redesigned version of that out this year, but I doubt it will offer anything that the XPS 13 won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom