• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Dell XPS 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

maeh2k

71674.png

Perhaps more impressive, the FHD model, which still has 1.6X as many pixels as the MacBook Air, achieves 60% more battery life. It is a pretty amazing result. Dell has obviously worked hard on power consumption for this model.

Mr.Mike

That goes against almost everything else I've read about it.

Perhaps, but Anandtech is probably the best at this. For example, many sites will just set the screen brightness at 60% and use that in their test. But 60% means different things on different screens, so Anandtech sets the brightness so that every screen they test has the same brightness.

I had a XPS m1330 from Dell; it was absolute garbage. Over the course of three years, The hard drive was replaced 10 times, the motherboard/heat sink 7 times, the fan 5 times, the touchpad 4 times, the keyboard and power cord twice, and the screen once.

The final motherboard replacement ended up almost catching fire so they ended up replacing it with an Alienware x17, which has had it's fair share of issues as well.

Wonder if Dell has improved their material and build quality at all.

Mr.Mike

I had a XPS m1330 from Dell; it was absolute garbage. Over the course of three years, The hard drive was replaced 10 times, the motherboard/heat sink 7 times, the fan 5 times, the touchpad 4 times, the keyboard and power cord twice, and the screen once.

The final motherboard replacement ended up almost catching fire so they ended up replacing it with an Alienware x17, which has had it's fair share of issues as well.

Wonder if Dell has improved their material and build quality at all.

Well, Dell has since been privatized (Michael Dell bought out all of the publicly traded shares) and it seems he's determined to fix his company.

Certainly this laptop looks very impressive.

Some new reviews! Turns out the XPS 13 is somewhere between great and shit.

notebookcheck.com

Touchpad:

Battery life:

theverge.com

Touchpad:

Battery life:

It's The Verge, what do you expect? They've doubled down on their Apple fanboyism as of late (see how they boiled down Sony's image sensor business to "selling cameras to Apple" and the mental math they used to get there). Ars Technica and Engadget both wholeheartedly recommended it, and it legitimately seems like the best device Dell has put out, well, ever. It has me considering it, which is something I never thought I'd do with Dell.

Kyoufu

It's The Verge, what do you expect? They've doubled down on their Apple fanboyism as of late (see how they boiled down Sony's image sensor business to "selling cameras to Apple" and the mental math they used to get there). Ars Technica and Engadget both wholeheartedly recommended it, and it legitimately seems like the best device Dell has put out, well, ever. It has me considering it, which is something I never thought I'd do with Dell.

I considered it, but I realised I'd be better off with a convertible, so now I'm looking at a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga.

This is certainly a sexy machine though.

MikeyB

I haven't owned a Dell since I had 4 in a row conk out about 2.5 years into their life, ending in 2004.

Have they improved a lot since then?

Relatedly, isn't Asus one of the most reliable laptop manufacturers?

I haven't owned a Dell since I had 4 in a row conk out about 2.5 years into their life, ending in 2004.

Relatedly, isn't Asus one of the most reliable laptop manufacturers?

They've gotten slightly better, it seems they're starting a new strategy of not being shit starting with this laptop and their bezel-less Android tablet. And yes, ASUS tends to be one of the best OEMs all around.

nico1982

They are a private company now, and can stop cutting corners to appease shareholders. This XPS is a good example. The past year XPS11 was already a step in the right direction. Their OLED tablet is incredible on some aspects, less in others. The Optiplex micro is a few tweaks short of being the best mini PC out of there. Dell is far from perfect, but they are getting their things together.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
A bit off topic but I have an Alienware 13 (saw some comparisons earlier in the thread) and I absolutely love it. I use it for work, streaming and gaming. If anyone is interested in one for gaming/work use. It works well.

If you travel a lot, even better.

If they offered an IPS screen and a discrete graphics option, it would be an interesting laptop.

Well I think most ultrabooks don't have nearly enough physical size to fit a discrete GPU which doesn't overheat instantly.

Putting a metal shell around what seems to be the same crap Dell always peddles doesn't really seem like an actual upgrade.

bms2993

Banned
This thing will be mine. Unfortunately, when I order from Dell.com, it tells me I have to wait like two weeks for it to be shipped out to me. Any faster / cheaper method of getting one? I'm eyeing that matte display because matte displays have always had a special place in my heart.

This thing will be mine. Unfortunately, when I order from Dell.com, it tells me I have to wait like two weeks for it to be shipped out to me. Any faster / cheaper method of getting one? I'm eyeing that matte display because matte displays have always had a special place in my heart.
I bought one from the Dell Outlet last night for approx. 34% off list price using the following coupon code:
Save $350 on any Dell Outlet Home XPS 2-in-1, Ultrabook™ or laptop with coupon* code below (models include: XPS 11 2-in-1 Ultrabook™, 12 2-in-1 Ultrabook™, 12 - l221, 13 Ultrabook™, 13 - 9343, XPS 13 Ultrabook™ - L321X, 13 Ultrabook™ - L322X, 14 Ultrabook™, 15 - 9530, 15 - L521X, 15z)!
Limited time, while supplies last!

Coupon code:
QZ35HCN5Q6PD07

I originally bought the QHD+ (touch) but decided to cancel that order and get the FHD for the better battery life and $240 savings. I think I'd get much more out of the extra battery life than the touch functionality. I ended up getting the i5/8GB/256GB FHD (non-touch) for $709 + tax with free FedEx shipping. There are various models coming in and out of stock but it looks like they are mostly cleared out now.

Looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Ended up getting the i5 / 8 GB ram / 256 GB SSD / FHD version. Should be here in a week and a half or so. Anyone have a sleeve they'd recommend? Something fairly thin would be good since it'll be in a backpack often.

Ended up getting the i5 / 8 GB ram / 256 GB SSD / FHD version. Should be here in a week and a half or so. Anyone have a sleeve they'd recommend? Something fairly thin would be good since it'll be in a backpack often.

Damages ? I am trying to get rid of my three year old inspiron 14z. Absolutely hate it, heavy as shit and crawls even with i7/8 GB. I have been really burned by Dell and was thinking of surface 3 or a mac but this looks promising.

Fusebox

Banned
They've gotten slightly better, it seems they're starting a new strategy of not being shit starting with this laptop and their bezel-less Android tablet. And yes, ASUS tends to be one of the best OEMs all around.

Dell have been not-shit for a few years now. I've got the last XPS 13 they made before the Infinity bezel and it's fantastic, easily gives my MBPr a run for its money.

Also I'm not sure where Asus got a rep for being the best OEM. I've got a pile of trashed Asus U-series at work that everyone refuses to work on. In the unlikely event they do turn on they're as flaky as shit. Probably just a dodgey model line but still, I'd never buy another Asus after that. I'd buy another Dell in a second though.

Futureman

Windows laptop manufacturers are getting better all the time and Windows 10 looks legit....

I've had a Mac since 2005, but when I need to upgrade I may need to look hard at the Windows options out there. The other hold up in the past was I only had the Mac version of Adobe but now it's all subscription based so that doesn't matter either.

I'm also looking at a Windows 10 laptop from a Mac. Had a Mac for a long time now but I rarely use my computer anymore as it is and with the price increases Apple put onto Canada - over $1500 for the base model MacBook Pro retina - it's just not worth it anymore.

Futureman

WELL actually I just checked the prices and specs on the current Dell 15" XPS....

Dell 15" $2,549
512 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, Core i7 up to 3.3 GHz, GeForce 750m 2 GB, 3840x2160 touch display

Apple 15" $2,499
512 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, Core i7 up to 3.7 GHz, Radeon M370X 2GB, 2880x1800 non-touch

The only reason I guess I was thinking of switching is I just assumed Dell would be cheaper...

The Dell does have a nicer screen, but the retina on my MacBook Pro is stunning. Not sure that extra resolution would really even matter. I wonder if Apple will bump their resolution soon?

Radec

So I saw an ad for xps 13 2-1 for roughly $1200. Seller says its a demo unit and only comes with 3months store warranty. It is the top of the line spec (i7 (2017), 512ssd, 16gb ram).

Do you think its worth it or too risky given its a demo unit and doesn't have dell warranty?

Tommy DJ

I think Dell XPS laptops have transferable warranty or warranty that isn't difficult to transfer. I've got a Dell XPS15 (9550) and I managed to transfer my warranty without too much difficulty.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom