• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Dualshock 4 model is really nice

Yeah my PS4 Pro came with the new controller, i also picked up a new one in Red at Best Buy for $40 on black friday.

The touch pad has a white led, well actually they just cut part of the plastic so the led shines through the touch pad.

CLEEK

I've got three DS4s. The one that came with my launch PS4, a six month old white DS4, and the one that came with my Pro.

Lightbar and cosmetic touches aside, my white and Pro DS4s feel identical, and both are a huge improvement over the launch controller. The hinge on the trigger was changed, so they no longer wobble and creak, and the newer DS4s are far more robust in general.

Batter life on all three seem about the same. If the newer controllers have a longer lasting battery, the improvement isn't big enough that I've noticed it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So if I goto the store now and buy one, It'll be one of these?

the dpad, face buttons, triggers, thumbsticks, bumpers, etc. are all gray instead of black on the old version. also the strip on the touchpad that allows the led to shine through. on the packaging itself i'm assuming "CUH-ZCT2" is on there somewhere...although i can't remember.

crimilde

Banned
I can confirm, battery life is way better. I've been playing FFXV all day long during this past weekend and one charge pretty much lasted me through the whole day. The build quality is very nice too.

Does anyone here know where I can get some good Trigger and rubber cap accessories for the controller? I still feel that the trigger buttons just needed a longer hook to them.

Rongolian

Banned
Has anyone ever noticed the rubber is a different texture between the two different thumbsticks? The left stick on mine is noticeably more rough then the right one.

I just got my first DS4 controller with the bluetooth dongle, so I may be late on that, but it's a very interesting detail to me.

LOLCats

Banned
Does anyone here know where I can get some good Trigger and rubber cap accessories for the controller? I still feel that the trigger buttons just needed a longer hook to them.

I have the kontrol freak Alphas for the sticks and i really love them. I dont have any trigger grips, i had some for the DS3, but since DS4 i just swap the buttons and use shoulders for triggers anyway.

curlycare

I knew I wasn't imagining when it felt so much better to play with. I bought a day 1 version of DS4 to play on PC and this new one is so much sturdier than that, or the refreshed model I got with my CUH-1206 for that matter.

I've got a couple new ds4 v2 pads and still put thumb grip covers on them straight away. Not risking it. Christmas day was all it took for the material to start wearing, beyond a joke.

The battery life probably isn't "better", just that the older controllers have degraded over time. I know when I got my DS4 at launch I could game for a good few sessions on it, now it's maybe 3/4 hours tops.

Either way, if you want longer battery life, just replace the battery. It's pretty straight forward to do so.

ValfarHL

I like it too, but my new controller has a small squeak and feel of resistance when I just slightly move the left analog stick. :(

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I got one recently as well and I like it.

Maybe it's just cause it's newer and the stocks aren't as worn yet though.

Koobion

While I agree with the OP mostly, my controller seems to have some issues. I don't know if it's faulty or just part of the new design, but the share and options buttons are much more recessed and less clicky than my launch controller, and the face buttons are about the same - more mushy and less clicky. Something that makes me wonder if my controller is faulty though is that my X button sticks on occasion, not to the detriment of gameplay since it's fairly rare, but it does make me wonder if there's a problem with mine specifically.

LordOfChaos

Sorry for the necro, got curious, the old DS4 has Bluetooth 2.1 and the new has 4.0, does anyone know if the limitation to 2.1 on the original PS4 was just the controller or the chip inside the PS4 as well? As in would anything before the Slim be able to use the newer bluetooth with a new controller?

I get intermittent lag and cutouts on mine, probably a messy 2.4GHz spectrum (but really, within line of sight it shouldn't be /this/ bad, the choice to use 2.1 initially sucked), wondering if this would improve anything or naw without a Slim or Pro.

Top Bottom