• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New PS Vita - Available for Pre-Order tomorrow

chrislowe

I bought my oled 3g vita for equal price of $140 the other day. The og 3ds is $5 more.
So if the new model is more expensive i can smile without feeling I have bad luck :)

In a dream scenario they would add L2 and R2 buttons and clickable analogs......wont happen though. If they do, I am buying one tomorrow

Personally, having a smaller memory card helps me stay focused, finish games and move on to the next.

That's...actually a pretty great way to look at it. I'm a hoarder though, I love having all the games downloaded and available to play a moment's notice.

I agree, I don't really see the point to this "update". The memory cards are what is truly in need of being changed. The moment Sony decided on adopting a ridiculously overpriced proprietary storage method for their handheld is the moment they buried their hopes for success.

The price advantage of a 2000 needs to be SUBSTANTIAL, otherwise this whole move from the 1k OLED to the 2k LCD just reeks of cost cutting measure to save THEMSELVES money, not US.

Yep, the memory card prices are the only reason I haven't been sell any of my friends on the Vita. They see the prices and are instantly put off. They love the handheld and the games, the amount they play mine when they come over is a testament to that, but those damn memory card prices are really holding it back.

Hmm good point it's all coming from the UK so far. Weird.
SCEA hates Vita. It is known. At least the Euro branch would give it the time of day at Gamescom and acknowledge its existence.

For that reason, I don't think SCEE will be dumb enough to hold an event for this if it were just a hardware re-reveal. They've stealth launched slimmer PS3 models before without fanfare, so I'm still guessing there will be something more at this event - whether first looks at announced software or Vita TV.

- hope springs eternal -

mankoto

Vita's 2014 western line-up is a total desert at the moment.

Unless I'm missing something, I have
Monster Monpiece
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f
Final Fantasy X/X-2
Demon Gaze
Deception IV
Conception 2
Borderlands 2
MLB The Show 2014
Ragnarock Odyssey ACE
Toukiden
DanganRonpa

This is all before June (aside from Monpiece which is June 30th). Naturally there are a million indie games coming as well. I believe Akiba's Trip 2 and Senran Kagura were hinted as well...

todd360

If you have plus, you'll quickly find that 8gb or even 16gb isn't enough.

Not if your crafty like me. Simply delete the ps+ games when your finished with them. You can always re download them later if you feel like playing it again.

I have ps+ why is everyone feeling bad for me lol. To answer the other question the last game I bought was Ys memories of celceta. Currently want to get muramasa and maybe dragons crown.

SCEA hates Vita. It is known. At least the Euro branch would give it the time of day at Gamescom and acknowledge its existence.

For that reason, I don't think SCEE will be dumb enough to hold an event for this if it were just a hardware re-reveal. They've stealth launched slimmer PS3 models before without fanfare, so I'm still guessing there will be something more at this event - whether first looks at announced software or Vita TV.

- hope springs eternal -

I'll put imaginary money on Minecraft. The fact they could potentially have an actual portable version of MC (not that Pocket Edition bullshit) could be pretty huge if they marketed it right.

Sweet. I think I'll grab that.

No worries. I'm giving serious thought to buying a spare OLED. I've actually been thinking about it for a while, but out it on the back-burner as I figured they wouldn't announce the NOLED/2k over here until later in the year.

Not if your crafty like me. Simply delete the ps+ games when your finished with them. You can always re download them later if you feel like playing it again.

I sometimes wish I was like this. I'm a hoarder though, I love having as many games as possible available to play straight away.

yes but be sure to back up your saves

don't make my mistake :/

figured having ps+ my vita would do that for me. not the case-you have to manually select the feature in settings FIRST

been smooth sailing so far-and 2014 looks great for vita-

todd360

I sometimes wish I was like this. I'm a hoarder though, I love having as many games as possible available to play straight away.

I know what you mean. I would love that but I can't bring myself to pay the ridiculous price they want for a mere 32 gb. You can get a 1 tb hard drive for the cost of a vita 32 gb lol.

Westraid

I've been looking into a Vita, but will be fencesitting until a pricedrop.
Looked up some info on screen comparison but in the end it won't really matter that much if I get the newer version. I played on my friends Vita for like 20 minutes so I couldn't tell the difference anyway.

It kind of amazes me that they would bother taking pre-orders on a system that sells so poorly.

Are they expecting them to sell out or are they trying to gauge interest before placing stock orders?

I know what you mean. I would love that but I can't bring myself to pay the ridiculous price they want for a mere 32 gb. You can get a 1 tb hard drive for the cost of a vita 32 gb lol.

It really is crazy that Sony still haven't addressed the memory card price issue.

I was lucky enough to grab a 32gb when Sainsbury had them for £41. Hasn't been on sale since, which is rather annoying.

It kind of amazes me that they would bother taking pre-orders on a system that sells so poorly.

Are they expecting them to sell out or are they trying to gauge interest before placing stock orders?

What? They still have to offer stock up for pre-order, no matter how relatively poor said product is doing. Ridiculous.

pukko

Neo Member
Launching a lot of different colors isn't really SCEEs thing, is it? I don't expect them to sell all the colors available in Japan here :/

I'd buy anything that isn't black or white
after a decent pricedrop

Already got my super-kawaii blue/white Vita2k. Please say something about 64GB cards though, thanks Sony.

Launching a lot of different colors isn't really SCEEs thing, is it? I don't expect them to sell all the colors available in Japan here :/

I'd buy anything that isn't black or white
after a decent pricedrop

Even NOA kinda drags behind Japan on released other colored systems (never got that sweet tangerine XL ): ), although I guess different markets and all that. Not really expecting them to have anything except black or white but good luck to you, brethren.

rpmurphy

Pre-order numbers help judge how much stock to order for sale at launch, yes.

You've used both? Can you clear up all the arguing about the screens?

That's pretty much impossible to do. People have their preferences, and they're firmly entrenched when it comes to OLED vs. LCD.

For me, the 2000 improves nearly everything about the Vita: back touch panel is better, lighter, thinner, Micro USB port, better battery, cool colors.

The screen, however, is a downgrade to me for a few reasons. I've compared both side-by-side, and the differences were immediately apparent: blacks take the biggest hit, but colors in general, while truer, wash out the vibrancy of some games. LCD also creates a sharper image, which is normally great, but for some titles, it means imperfections (jaggies and such), especially in PSP/PS1 and non-native resolution games, stand out more. The OLED screen, on the other hand, softens them, thanks to the true blacks/pixels turning completely off when not in use.

For example, Dracula X Chronicles is a PSP game that has tons of jaggies and dithering, even running on a PSP. On an OLED Vita, the edges of the models are softer, ghosting is almost non-existent (it was an issue on my PSP), and the dithering isn't as pronounced, because in the parts of the screen where it's black, you don't see it. The game went from pretty ugly to acceptable, thanks to OLED.

Of course, it all depends on the game, and having moved from AMOLED to LCD on my smartphone, over time, it doesn't really matter. Your eyes will adjust, and you won't notice unless you have them side by side.

I'm hoping this means there's a firesale on the older one...may finally be tempted to pick one up. Need to experience this OLED hype...though I'm keeping my expectations in check. When PSP was released, people gushed about the screen, but when I bought it at shortly after launch I didn't think much of it.

Is the new screen really that much of a downgrade? I Love the OLED screen on my Vita, but I really like the specifications of the new one. Maybe I'll just buy one anyways and the OLED for home use, and the LCD for on the go. Can my PSN account be on two Vitas?

I'm hoping this means there's a firesale on the older one...may finally be tempted to pick one up. Need to experience this OLED hype...though I'm keeping my expectations in check. When PSP was released, people gushed about the screen, but when I bought it at shortly after launch I didn't think much of it.

While not firesale prices, the OLED with a 16gb and Tearaway.LBP has been available for as low as £140 over the past few months.

The standalone is available is £129 brand new from shopto, which isn't as good as the Tearaway bundle, but it's still a good price.

The irrational allure of a hardware update I don't even need... I love the OLED screen, my hands have gotten used to the 1000 and I find it comfortable, I don't mind charging it every few days, and yet I still want one of these new ones. Ugh.

Top Bottom