• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Night Of - new crime limited series - HBO Sundays - 90 on Metacritic

the-night-of-posterifr2r.jpg

HBO has put up the first episode of The Night Of on various streaming platforms. The limited series originally began as a passion project for actor James Gandolfini. The late Sopranos star was originally set to topline the project, inspired by the 2008 BBC series Criminal Justice, as an attorney who bites off more than he can chew when he becomes embroiled in a case involving a Pakistani man (Riz Ahmed) accused of killing a woman in New York City’s Upper West Side. Following Gandolfini’s death, Golden Globe-nominee John Turturro (Quiz Show) took over the lead role.

From Steven Zaillian and Richard Price, the mini-series explores the political, social, and cultural aspects of a New York City murder case. The cast includes John Turturro, Riz Ahmed, Michael Kenneth Williams, Bill Camp, Jeannie Berlin, and Poorna Jagannathan.

Oscar-winning writer Steve Zaillian (Schindler’s List) co-created the series with Oscar-nominee Richard Price (The Color of Money) and directed several episodes. In addition, Academy Award-winning director James Marsh (Man on Wire) has helmed episodes of the series, which lists Gandolfini and Peter Moffat, who created the original Criminal Justice series, among its executive producers.

The first part of the series will be available on HBO Now, HBO GO, and HBO On Demand starting this Friday, June 24th. The show makes its TV debut on July 10th at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

HBO said:
Nasir 'Naz' Khan is a Pakistani-American college student living in Queens, NY. Using his father's cab one night, Naz meets a young woman. But what starts out as a fantasy ends up a nightmare, as he's arrested for murder shortly after leaving. Following an interrogation by detective Dennis Box, Naz asks for a lawyer--and finds one in world-weary defense attorney John Stone.

Trailers:
- The Night Of: Seeing Trailer
- The Night Of: Freddy Vignette
- The Night Of: Station Vignette
- The Night Of: Autopsy Vignette
- The Night Of: Secrets

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Wow that's sounds promising. Turturro is a great actor.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Man, I am not a fan of Tuturro at all. However I'll watch anything with Michael Kenneth Williams in it. About to give this a shot.

Edit: cool credits sequence!

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Wow, very impressed!! Feels like a hybrid of True Detective/The Wire. Intense stuff. The kid who's playing Naz has some serious acting chops! Beautifully shot as well. Can't wait to see how this all plays out.

Is this a straight up remake from the BBC series, or is this a new story just based off of the BBC show? Worried if it's a remake it'll be spoiled.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Saw the trailer the other day before Game of Thrones, it looks really good, will have to watch this later.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Whoa. Gandolfini was attached to this?! that's nuts. I'm just now rewatching The Sopranos and was just thinking how much great stuff nowadays he should be connected with. Man I miss that dude. Great actor.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Really want to watch this, but then I don't think I want to have to wait three weeks for the next episode.

Whoa. Gandolfini was attached to this?! that's nuts. I'm just now rewatching The Sopranos and was just thinking how much great stuff nowadays he should be connected with. Man I miss that dude. Great actor.
Yup, Gandolfini even shot a pilot. HBO declined to pick it up as a series, but then everyone decided to do it as a mini instead. Then Gandolfini passed away. De Niro was briefly attached for the lead role before Turturro came around.

Sanjuro

That very well may be the best first episode of a program I have ever seen.

Does a great job at building tension and a strong narrative moving forward, while at the same time remaining very hands off.

zero_suit

That very well may be the best first episode of a program I have ever seen.

Does a great job at building tension and a strong narrative moving forward, while at the same time remaining very hands off.

I agree 100 percent. July 17th (Episode 2?) seems so far away now.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
That was some damn fine television. Three week wait is going to be excruciating.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I love the complete examination from the start of the night to the booking. With the fantastic pacing and acting it didn't turn into watching paint dry. The wait for the next episode is gonna be torture. The defense for Naz is about as uphill as it gets.

On another note, HBO is absolutely killing it with these miniseries. Instead of a shows overall pace being dictated by the ultimate amount of episodes it needs to stretch to or contract from, it should truly be the amount of episodes the show/series actually needs.

Fury451

Banned
Been a while, having Turturro in a role where he isn't manic, or cartoonish

It's sad that some people only know him as that. He's a fantastic and talented actor. Will be watching this for sure; appreciate the thread, actually had no idea about this project

Matty77

Yeah want to watch, trailers look amazing, and I need something other than Vice Principals once Thrones is done for the year.

Will wait until July though I don't want to have to wait that long for another episode.

Also nice OT Cornballer, I am impressed.

Fjordson

Just finished the first episode and wow, that was excellent.

Some of HBO's recent drama has been super disappointing (Vinyl & True Detective) but this seems to be picking up where Show Me a Hero left off as far as being a great miniseries.

Sean

Banned
That was absolutely fantastic.

Hard to put into words, but the way this is filmed makes you feel like you're in the same room with Naz going through all the same emotions. I felt nervous and tense throughout. I like how music was used sporadically only during a few key moments which allows you to focus on the actors performances (all of which were excellent).

Really wish I could just binge watch the whole thing right now.

Definitely following in the footsteps of Show Me A Hero. I'll stay subbed for this and LWT after Thrones and Silicon Valley are over.

Glad to see some other people checking the show out and enjoying it. I still need to watch the last ~15 min of the episode. :/

The commercials alone have been so rattling.

I'm not usually one to let anxiety back me out of something. I'll fling myself headlong into some misery and feel it to its bitter end just to see where I come out on the other side.

It looks fantastic, but this is just too heavy for me right now.

kaskade

Hoping to catch it sometime this week. I think I'm going to watch The Shallows tonight so might not be until tomorrow. The trailers kind of give it that True Detective vibe a bit. Some one off dark mystery.

The trailers before Game of Thrones have had me super intrigued about this. I'll try and watch the first episode tonight.

I figure HBO released this episode early because they know they have something special on their hands and do not want it to get overlooked. You have to be confident to put out a full episode before a premiere.

Also it's nice to see diversity in a lead role that isn't type-casted. Makes me think of that episode on Master of None.

That was absolutely fantastic.

Hard to put into words, but the way this is filmed makes you feel like you're in the same room with Naz going through all the same emotions. I felt nervous and tense throughout. I like how music was used sporadically only during a few key moments which allows you to focus on the actors performances (all of which were excellent).

Really wish I could just binge watch the whole thing right now.
That was my problem. The 3 week wait for Episode 2 is going to be painful.:/

This is where the Netflix has spoiled me.

Gandolfini gave the best lead actor performance on any tv series I have ever seen.

Shame he couldn't make it. Looking forward to this though. I like Turturro and Riz Ahmed. And it's nice to see something with a Muslim character who's not a terrorist (even if it is about him being in jail).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Interesting that they're billing it as a "limited series" since they typically use the "miniseries" label for their miniseries. I wonder if that has some sort of significance (like maybe they intend to bring the show back next year, either as a continuation or as an anthology) or if they're just using the two terms interchangeably?

Top Bottom