• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Celine

Recently decided I would try and obtain some classic 64 games that I never had. I would like to build a basic "must haves" collection for my 64... but good lord what the hell is up with these prices? Conker's bad fur day is up there in the games I'd like to obtain, but holy shit this games goes for like thousands of dollars! Also looking out for Paper Mario and Banjo Tooie, both of which aren't too cheap either. Any chance these prices will go down in the future?
In retrogaming Nintendo command premium prices because the brand is considered one of the most prestigious.
Prices can only going up at least for the foreseeable future.

If you aren't interested in CIB (only loose cart) and go for the lesser regarded (but still very good) games then the prices are more manageable.
I still mantain that some of the worthy N64 games were produced by third-party.
N64 isn't just a first-party machine as many want to depict despite all the awesome games published by Nintendo.

Cedric

Thanks for the replies! CIB doesn't interest me, I'd rather have custom plastic boxes than the cardboard stuff. It's easier to protect and looks nice! I'll probably look into those much later on though.

As for Japanese versions, I suppose it could be a good alternative (I do collect SFC games), but at the same time I like the idea of having NTSC english copies just in case some day way down the line I want to sell my whole collection.

Just got my CiB Chameleon Twist 2. Still need the first. I heard the first is super short but there aren't near as many reviews on the second. Is it also short?

WillyFive

About how long is it out of curiousity?

I've heard good things about them so glad to hear a gaffer also give it praise. I do plan on picking up the first as well.

I didn't have a memory pack, so I had to play the entire game all in one sitting. I'd say around 2 or 3 hours on my experience.

I didn't have a memory pack, so I had to play the entire game all in one sitting. I'd say around 2 or 3 hours on my experience.

Pretty short but in reality a lot of retro games can be easily beat in one evening. As long as the game is enjoyable I guess that's what's most important. Is there any kind of reason to replay it?

Celine

My N64 collection.
As you can see it's mostly focused on third-party games (I've already played nintendo big N64 hits).
With the exception of Lamborghini 64 which I've got bundled in a deal I would say each of those games are of some interested although the quality isn't always even.

fGcoaHi.jpg

televator

I just worked out an excellent deal with an ebay seller for an empty Majora's Mask box!

I already have a loose cart and manual, so this box is perfect! My idiot cousin lost my CIB copy while I was in boot camp like a decade ago. At long last I'm reunited with a CIB Majora's Mask. All is well in the world today.

Antonio_banderas.gif.imgo.gif

Bamboo

Recently bought a used N64 on ebay with a bunch of games and 4 controllers. I want to / have to replace the joysticks of at least three of them. I have no experience at all, but after looking at some tutorials on youtube, it doesn't look all that hard. Any recommendations on which replacement sticks to buy? Based in Germany if that changes anything.

This is the top product on amazon:
Link
or how about this one? no reviews so far :/
Link

Any other tips?

Anth0ny

Ha, first the Nintendo Play Station, now this.

I'm wondering if people will be able to recreate unreleased hardware at some point in the future, what with all the homebrew software and hardware developments going on.

Seriously. I hope to own a fanmade Nintendo Playstation someday that plays both PS1 and SNES games.

Why? Cause it's cool, that's why.

Ha, first the Nintendo Play Station, now this.

I'm wondering if people will be able to recreate unreleased hardware at some point in the future, what with all the homebrew software and hardware developments going on.

Like recreate in hardware or would FPGA count? The ED64 already runs 64DD games via FPGA, I can't imagine the US version's hardware would be all that different, so if an unreleased US version of a retail game was ever found that might be viable.

D.Lo

Like recreate in hardware or would FPGA count? The ED64 already runs 64DD games via FPGA, I can't imagine the US version's hardware would be all that different, so if an unreleased US version of a retail game was ever found that might be viable.
I was thinking like a physical recreation. In the same way there are repro NES carts with burned translated roms, released in full packaging with period style manuals etc. Or homemade console hacks that look like real ones, like the Omega MVS, or that amazing consolised Game Gear.

Like you could use this dumped US firmware and convert a Japanese DD unit to be a US one. Or yeah maybe create a standalone 64DD unit with FGPA and put it in a 3D printed case, that kind of thing.

I love the idea of physically recreating 'what if' releases. I once made up a fake 'retail' release of a couple of disk-writer only Famicom games. I'm trying to do my first NES ROM hack to recreate the cancelled Famicom game Arc Hound (Japanese Contra Force).

IrishNinja

I just worked out an excellent deal with an ebay seller for an empty Majora's Mask box!

I already have a loose cart and manual, so this box is perfect! My idiot cousin lost my CIB copy while I was in boot camp like a decade ago. At long last I'm reunited with a CIB Majora's Mask. All is well in the world today.

Antonio_banderas.gif.imgo.gif

always cool to find a missing piece!
ive been trying to replace a suikoden 2 manual for a fair price forever now, missed a $10 reprint a while back and never forgave myself

BarneyBP

This thread inspired me to have a lot of nostalgic fun this morning.

I had a pretty big Nintendo 64 collection as a kid and I remembered that I tried to keep the boxes and manuals. I went down to my basement to see if I still had anything (As I've moved a few times) and couldn't remember seeing the Nintendo 64 games in years - figured my parents may have sold it off in a yard sale or something while I was in college. Turns out - I had them in just about the last box at the back of the room.

Here's what was in the box:
All Star Baseball 99
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
BattleTanx
Blast Corps
Body Harvest
Bomber Man 64
Command & Conquer
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Cruis'n USA
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
F-Zero X
Fighter's Destiny
Gauntlet Legends
Glover
GoldenEye
Harvest Moon 64
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Jet Force Gemini
Kirby 64
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Tennis
Mission: Impossible
Mortal Kombat 4
Mystical Ninja
NBA Jam 99
NFL Blitz
NFL QB Club 98
NFL QB Club 99
NHL Breakaway 98
Ogre Battle 64
Paper Mario
Perfect Dark
Pilotwings 64
Rayman 2
Resident Evil 2
Ridge Racer 64
Robotron 64
Shadow Man
Snowboard Kids
South Park
Space Station Silicon Valley
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Star Wars Shadow of the Empire
Starfox
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros
Tetrisphere
Top Gear Overdrive
Turok
Turok 2
WCW vs NWO
Wetrix
Winback
World Driver
Wrestlemania 2000
WWF No Mercy
WWF War Zone
Yoshi's Story

So, as I forgot until this morning that I had these, I'm thinking it would be best to move them on to collectors that would appreciate them. What do you think would be best? Sell the whole lot on Ebay? List them individually?

That's really impressive and probably worth a decent amount, but honestly if you think you might ever want to have them in the future and are not desperate for money you should just hang onto them. They will only get harder to find and more expensive as time goes on.

televator

always cool to find a missing piece!
ive been trying to replace a suikoden 2 manual for a fair price forever now, missed a $10 reprint a while back and never forgave myself

How much do they usually go for? I jumped on a $20 manual for Panzer Dragoon like 2 months ago and that also completes me a little bit inside when I think about it. lol

I had a pretty big Nintendo 64 collection as a kid and I remembered that I tried to keep the boxes and manuals. I went down to my basement to see if I still had anything (As I've moved a few times) and couldn't remember seeing the Nintendo 64 games in years - figured my parents may have sold it off in a yard sale or something while I was in college. Turns out - I had them in just about the last box at the back of the room.

All Star Baseball 99
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
BattleTanx
Blast Corps
Body Harvest
Bomber Man 64
Command & Conquer
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Cruis'n USA
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
F-Zero X
Fighter's Destiny
Gauntlet Legends
Glover
GoldenEye
Harvest Moon 64
Jet Force Gemini
Kirby 64
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Tennis
Mortal Kombat 4
Mystical Ninja
NBA Jam 99
NFL Blitz
NFL QB Club 98
NFL QB Club 99
NHL Breakaway 98
Ogre Battle 64
Paper Mario
Perfect Dark
Pilotwings 64
Rayman 2
Resident Evil 2
Ridge Racer 64
Robotron 64
Shadow Man
Snowboard Kids
South Park
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Starfox
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros
Tetrisphere
Top Gear Overdrive
Turok
Turok 2
WCW vs NWO
Wetrix
Winback
World Driver
Wrestlemania 2000
WWF No Mercy
WWF War Zone
Yoshi's Story

So, as I forgot until this morning that I had these, I'm thinking it would be best to move them on to collectors that would appreciate them. What do you think would be best? Sell the whole lot on Ebay? List them individually?

That is damned nice!

All Star Baseball 99
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
BattleTanx
Blast Corps
Body Harvest
Bomber Man 64
Command & Conquer
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Cruis'n USA
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
F-Zero X
Fighter's Destiny
Gauntlet Legends
Glover
GoldenEye
Harvest Moon 64
Jet Force Gemini
Kirby 64
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Tennis
Mortal Kombat 4
Mystical Ninja
NBA Jam 99
NFL Blitz
NFL QB Club 98
NFL QB Club 99
NHL Breakaway 98
Ogre Battle 64
Paper Mario
Perfect Dark
Pilotwings 64
Rayman 2
Resident Evil 2
Ridge Racer 64
Robotron 64
Shadow Man
Snowboard Kids
South Park
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Starfox
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros
Tetrisphere
Top Gear Overdrive
Turok
Turok 2
WCW vs NWO
Wetrix
Winback
World Driver
Wrestlemania 2000
WWF No Mercy
WWF War Zone
Yoshi's Story

Nice! There's a couple there I still need.

As far as selling you would likely get more and sell them quicker selling individually as selling all at once removes some people from your market.

You may want to consider giving gaffers first dibs on the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. Otherwise eBay is likely your best bet to sell them quickest.

I just received my Ocarina of Time Collector's edition today and enjoying it again. It's a little hard to go back to the N64 version after the 3DS port, but at least I can hear the proper Fire Temple theme this time.

I am dreading getting to the water temple though.

Bamboo

Recently bought a used N64 on ebay with a bunch of games and 4 controllers. I want to / have to replace the joysticks of at least three of them. I have no experience at all, but after looking at some tutorials on youtube, it doesn't look all that hard. Any recommendations on which replacement sticks to buy? Based in Germany if that changes anything.

This is the top product on amazon:
Link
or how about this one? no reviews so far :/
Link

Any other tips?
selfquote - in case someone is interested how it turned out:

I went ahead and bought the Repair Box Replacement Joystick for N64 (ITEM: DN64R-A04). Since the descriptions I founds were contradictory, i was wondering which kind I would be getting. The stick looks very much like the original N64 stick, so not a GC type stick that some people got. The plastic feels slightly different (cheaper), but you don't really notice it unless you pay attention to it. Replacing it was super easy, I just followed a random youtube guide. Some people complained about a different feel of the Z-trigger, I didn't have the problem, it feels just as it should.

Playing feels much better than before but not perfect. It feels not as sensitive as the original stick, esp. when trying to switch back and forth between walking-running-walking in games like Mario64 or Yoshi's Story. Still, way better than the worn out sticks from before. I'd like to try out the gamecube like sticks at some point.

Some bad pics. Left is the new stick, right the old one.

-KRS-

I have the gc style ones and I can't really recommend them. They work fine for the most part, but they don't feel as precise since the stick is shorter, which makes precision aiming in games like goldeneye hard. I remember reading somewhere that the firmware for them was wrong though, so that was the reason they don't map as precisely. Maybe they're better these days.

Rich!

I have the gc style ones and I can't really recommend them. They work fine for the most part, but they don't feel as precise since the stick is shorter, which makes precision aiming in games like goldeneye hard. I remember reading somewhere that the firmware for them was wrong though, so that was the reason they don't map as precisely. Maybe they're better these days.

they're mapped totally incorrectly

they're mapped to a square range and not the 8 (or was it six?) point range it should be. there is a way to fix it, but its not worth the effort.

i recommend people to just do what I did and buy this from raphnet:

KMx4VFGh.jpg

gamecube controller adapter. works flawlessly.

Lynd7

So the UltraHDMI firmware has another update out, apparently fixes bugs in the 1.4 release.

I haven't ever upgraded its firmware and am a little hesitant to, anyone else tried it out yet?

Glowsquid

What is the average battery life on an offishul N64 rumble pak?

I consider Star Fox 64 one of my favourite games of all time (and it's certainly the game I palyed the most), but I've never experienced it with rumble. considering getting a rumble pak for the novelty of it.

TheMoon

I consider Star Fox 64 one of my favourite games of all time (and it's certainly the game I palyed the most), but I've never experienced it with rumble. considering getting a rumble pak for the novelty of it.

until the 2xAA batteries you put in there run out.

Think it's a fairly long time, considering they're only powering the rumble. I got one this summer and have used it a bit. But I'm not really liking the extra weight it puts at the end of the controller. It's a really strong motor though, much stronger than how I remember the DualShock at the time. Quake gives you some brutal feedback. I think Star Fox 64 is one of the games that really uses the rumble well, l guess they went all out to make it work nicely as the game included the pak.

But yeah, that weight, not a fan. They're cheap though, if SF64 is a favourite, try it out with the rumble!

TheMoon

I think Star Fox 64 is one of the games that really uses the rumble well, l guess they went all out to make it work nicely as the game included the pak.

But yeah, that weight, not a fan. They're cheap though, if SF64 is a favourite, try it out with the rumble!

Well, SF64 is the game that introduced the rumble pak. It was the showpiece software for the device.

Btw, just get a third party rumble pak that takes power from the controller. I haven't used the official rumble pak since last century.

Well, SF64 is the game that introduced the rumble pak. It was the showpiece software for the device.

Btw, just get a third party rumble pak that takes power from the controller. I haven't used the official rumble pak since last century.

Sure about that? A quick ebay search and the third party rumble paks all look like they need battery power.

Glowsquid

until the 2xAA batteries you put in there run out.

I guess I was setting myself up for that one :|

I've heard of the third parties one that dont require a battery (as well as the mod for the official one), but I heard they're less powerful, and I figured if I purchase a rumble accessory, I might as well go in all the way. But if this is yet another one of those gaming Common Knowledge that's vastly overstated, I'll look up the battery-less brands.

TheMoon

I guess I was setting myself up for that one :|

I've heard of the third parties one that dont require a battery (as well as the mod for the official one), but I heard they're less powerful, and I figured if I purchase a rumble accessory, I might as well go in all the way. But if this is yet another one of those gaming Common Knowledge that's vastly overstated, I'll look up the battery-less brands.

Mine is plenty powerful. There were a lot of third party accessories in those days so it's random luck, I guess.

And yea, AAA. The smaller ones. I always confuse those two.

D.Lo

I had a non-battery 3rd party rumble pak, which also had a built in memory card.

It wasn't as high quality a rumble, it kind of lost the variety of intensity levels of an official one. But was handy to not have to swap out for a memory card, and obviously no batteries.

I still used the official one for Goldeneye/PD, because the kick you got from guns in those games was just perfect.

I mostly use a battery-free rumble pack for the convenience, but yeah, the rumble is not quite as strong as the rumble in battery rumble packs. Still, it's great to not have to switch batteries.

But if you get a battery-free one, I would recommend trying to find one that is just a rumble pack; I also have a battery-free rumble pack with a built in memory card, but that one broke, both for rumble and saving. Meanwhile the other, rumble-only one still works fine. I know this is just me, but anything with multiple modes like that is going to be more prone to failure...

The working battery-free rumble pack I have is green and is Naki-branded, if that helps. The other (broken save+rumble) one might have also been Naki, but I'm not sure and I'm not going to try to find it right now.

Mine is plenty powerful. There were a lot of third party accessories in those days so it's random luck, I guess.

And yea, AAA. The smaller ones. I always confuse those two.
Interact's rumble packs actually do use AA batteries, or at least their rumble pack with a controller port on it sure does (another handy but somewhat fragile accessory!), so N64 rumble packs that use AAs do exist... but yeah, Nintendo's uses AAAs.

D.Lo

Anyone here try the Hori Mini pad? Considering getting one.
Have mostly used nothing else for 10 years.

GameCube level comfort and original n64 button layout, it's easily the best for all action and platformer games.

The exceptions are FPS and dpad games, for which either original or GameCube (via adapter) are best.

Conezays

Have mostly used nothing else for 10 years.

GameCube level comfort and original n64 button layout, it's easily the best for all action and platformer games.

The exceptions are FPS and dpad games, for which either original or GameCube (via adapter) are best.

Cool, thanks. That seems to be what I've read elsewhere as well. So you prefer to use the Hori overall over the Gamecube adapter for most stuff?

D.Lo

Cool, thanks. That seems to be what I've read elsewhere as well. So you prefer to use the Hori overall over the Gamecube adapter for most stuff?

FPS - Gamecube or original N64 pad depending how I feel

2D/Primary D-pad games - original N64 pad

Everything else (platformer, action, racing, adventure) - Hori mini pad

I've had an official Rumble Pak since the '90s, and I only remember changing the batteries once, a few months ago. Heh.

Anyway, I restarted Paper Mario last week and completed it in 3 days. I've had the game since it was new, but never beat it, but now I finally did. It's so damn good. It's also the first time I ever finished a turn-based RPG, and I have a bunch of them.

Now I'm playing through Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door on GameCube. I already beat Super Paper Mario a few years ago, but that's not a turn-based RPG like the rest.

Top Bottom