• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Conezays

Just wondering if anyone here has the RGB mod and if so if you have taken any pictures. I'm considering the mod, but curious how it compares to S-video for the n64. Most of my retro consoles are now hooked up to RGB but curious how N64 looks and if it's worth the price. Cheers.

EDIT: Went ahead and ordered it :p

Teknoman

It looks a decent amount better, but no where near the quality jump as say...NES, PCengine/TG16,Genesis, or Saturn. And I believe you have to make sure your serial number is compatible? Its been awhile.

Kalnos

Banned
And I believe you have to make sure your serial number is compatible? Its been awhile.

yes, to quote RetroRGB:

If you have a serial number that starts with "NS1" (USA), "NUJ1" (Japan) or French systems with the model number "NUS-001(FRA)", then you most likely have an N64 that's compatible. Supposedly, some early Canadian N64's also contain this chip.

looks like there's a more expensive mod that works on any system though. At that point I'd just do the ultraHDMI tbh.

Bamboo

Any thoughts or experience with replacing analog sticks?
I recently replaced a couple of analog sticks. In short: if the old stick makes games barely playable - mine had characters only walk instead of running even when the stick was pushed all the way - go for it. It'll be better than before, but not as great as a new original stick. Haven't tried shooters though, since I don't own any. So no experience of steady aiming with the replacement models.

I posted about it on the last page. Here. Be sure to check the following posts too, there are users with different experieces on different replacement models.

Conezays

Well, my RGB-modded N64 arrived and I am very pleased with the results. While it isn't a *huge* difference over S-Video I can definitely still tell, as well as the colours looking really nice. Overall, very happy with the mod and glad to add it to the RGB setup for my PVM :p

Timu

Well, my RGB-modded N64 arrived and I am very pleased with the results. While it isn't a *huge* difference over S-Video I can definitely still tell, as well as the colours looking really nice. Overall, very happy with the mod and glad to add it to the RGB setup for my PVM :p
Congrats, and yeah I still like it with RGB overall.

Conezays

Congrats, and yeah I still like it with RGB overall.

Thanks! While the N64's AA/smear is still there, the overall picture is definitely more tolerable. I've messed around with disabling AA on the Everdrive but I typically just leave it stock. Games that run at a higher resolution and use the expansion pak definitely benefit greatly from the RGB mod as well. FPS' like Quake and Doom look fantastic compared to before IMO.

Finished a quick replay of Mario 64:

-KRS-

One thing to remember when it comes to n64 hacks is that they're often made to run on a specific emu. Most of them won't work on actual hardware for example. What I'm saying is that there's a good chance that the rom hack you're trying to play only works with the old graphics plugin.

Thanks! While the N64's AA/smear is still there, the overall picture is definitely more tolerable. I've messed around with disabling AA on the Everdrive but I typically just leave it stock. Games that run at a higher resolution and use the expansion pak definitely benefit greatly from the RGB mod as well. FPS' like Quake and Doom look fantastic compared to before IMO.

Absolutely! I got an RGB modded N64 this summer too, both Quake 1 (with filter off in the options) and Doom 64 look really sharp and nice!

Here is my latest pickup. I owned it Cart Only but liked it and wanted to get a complete copy. It arrived today in excellent shape. Game is getting pretty tough to find, especially complete of course.

cCaXqLs.jpg

Nearing 100 games in my N64 collection. Here is an updated picture of my games.

0Bnw21N.jpg

Still missing a few that I want, but pretty happy to have what I do with prices increasing.

xclaw

Here is my latest pickup. I owned it Cart Only but liked it and wanted to get a complete copy. It arrived today in excellent shape. Game is getting pretty tough to find, especially complete of course.

Nearing 100 games in my N64 collection. Here is an updated picture of my games.

0Bnw21N.jpg

Still missing a few that I want, but pretty happy to have what I do with prices increasing.

Jealous. I lucked out on a sub $10 cart only listing for it myself. A real gem of a game!

Killer boxed set.

Jealous. I lucked out on a sub $10 cart only listing for it myself. A real gem of a game!

Killer boxed set.

Yea, that's a great price for cart only. As more people dig deeper into the N64 library and have a chance to play Star Soldier I think the price will increase pretty significantly. As you said it's a real good game, it's a shooter, and it's a real uncommon game that will get harder to find as people catch on.

Thanks! Still several games I want to add to my collection but I'm happy with where I'm at. Examples are Indiana Jones, Castlevania Legacy of Darkness, Star Craft 64,etc...

BTails

Looks like 8bitdo's N64 Bluetooth controller is now available for purchase. I wonder what the stick will feel like, as that's the main concern with any N64 controller.

I'm kinda sad that there's no way to use a Memory Card or Rumble Pak on this (Or that the functionality isn't built into the controller). It certainly limits the future possibility that a Bluetooth receiver for N64 is released to allow you to use this controller on real hardware.

http://www.8bitdo.com/n64/

Looks like 8bitdo's N64 Bluetooth controller is now available for purchase. I wonder what the stick will feel like, as that's the main concern with any N64 controller.

I'm kinda sad that there's no way to use a Memory Card or Rumble Pak on this (Or that the functionality isn't built into the controller). It certainly limits the future possibility that a Bluetooth receiver for N64 is released to allow you to use this controller on real hardware.

http://www.8bitdo.com/n64/

If you (or anyone else) takes the plunge, let us know how it is.

xclaw

Looking like the 8bitdo controller is mainly for emulation.... I might bite next payday just because of the gloriousness that is the nes30. It's my default controller at this point.

Teknoman

Good on you Deuce for Star Soldier. Sucks that I glossed over it as generic shovelware back in the day (actual N64 days) but i'm glad I have a copy today.

I'm gonna have to pickup Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth if I see it. It looks cool. I have some other games in the series (Star Force and Star Soldier on NES, Blazing Lazers on TurboGrafx-16, Soldier Blade on Wii Virtual Console), and I quite enjoy them.

Good on you Deuce for Star Soldier. Sucks that I glossed over it as generic shovelware back in the day (actual N64 days) but i'm glad I have a copy today.

Yea, I had a Cart Only copy but really wanted it Complete. I (like most) also overlooked it for a long time. I think it's finally starting to get noticed a little. I dont see it nearly as often as I used to. Definitely worth checking out for anyone that may be overlooking it still.

RoadDogg

It is finally time for me to get an everdrive. I am leaning towards v3 but wanted to get input on which store is the best/safest. Do i wamt krikzz or stone age gamer?

I hope hdmi systems become obtainable soon too.

Edit: forgot i need a memory card too. I cant find any of my old ones outside a horrible 3rd party one which never works. Any suggestions on a reliable one?

Thanks. I am kind of suprised there isnt a memory card that uses an sd card so you can managed saves on your pc.

The closest to that would be an InterAct Dex Drive, and you'd probably need an older operating system and a serial to USB adapter to get it running.

I remember using one to back up my PS1 saves a while back.

RoadDogg

The closest to that would be an InterAct Dex Drive, and you'd probably need an older operating system and a serial to USB adapter to get it running.

I still have my dex drive but no way am i going to spend the time making it work on a modern pc. Maybe one day

SKINNER!

Banned
Anyone here in the UK got the UltraHDMI mod for their N64? Did you get it done locally or sent your console to the US to get it done?

RoadDogg

I wish I could I buy an hdmi modded n64. I doubt anyone would ever sell them in my price range though. $250 shipped would be max given it is $140 for just the board.

Most places are charging 200 - 220 for board + installation, I think you'd be really hard pressed to find someone willing to sell it for 30 - 50 bucks over that. Specially considering the cost in shipping their system to a modder and back probably put their real cost at like 240ish or more, you'd basically be asking people to take a loss on it.

Peagles

Yeh I was gonna say, at a guess that seems like the modder wouldn't get anything for their work or would lose money. It's described as a difficult install too so I doubt you'd find many willing to do so.

Edit: forgot i need a memory card too. I cant find any of my old ones outside a horrible 3rd party one which never works. Any suggestions on a reliable one?

N64 memory cards all do have batteries in them, so for future-proofing, my favorites are the Interact/Performance cards, since they have a battery clip inside -- no soldering needed to replace the battery, just unscrew it and put in a regular CR2032! Nintendo's cards, of course, have welded-tabs CR2032s inside. Ugh. Of course some N64 games use batteries in the carts themselves too; most games that save don't, but some do, including some major first-party titles -- OoT, F-Zero X, and some more. And the system is getting old enough that some of those batteries are starting to die.

I have an N64 DexDrive that I attach to my old computer that has a serial port, and it does work fine; it's great to have a way to back up those memory cards. There are some memory cards it won't back up for some unknown reason, but it's a good thing to have. But yeah, that it requires a serial port is a problem for any computer from the past decade-plus. While there are some newer things that let you back up N64 memory card data to a PC, most of the cheap N64-to-PC adapters unfortunately do not support memory card backup from what I know... bah. I know USB N64 adapters that do that do exist, such as the Adaptoid from the early '00s, but good luck finding one of those things... unless there's something newer that does it as well? There should be, for sure, but offhand I don't remember.

Top Bottom