• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

I have it. It works well and the analogue stick feels like an N64 controller on N64 hardware. It's how I played N64 games for a while before going down the RGB rabbit hole.

And yea, that is definitely an appropriate question in this thread (in my opinion).
Thank you, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear!

Is the official Rumble Pak the best option or are there any battery-less alternatives that are worth getting?

What about the Gamecube Controller to N64 adapter? I've been experimenting because I would like to extend the life of my N64 in the off chance that my OEM controllers go to shit. I definitely cannot afford to import Hori Pads right now, and I'm experimenting with the SuperPad 64 + which I hear is the next best option.

Peltz

Thank you, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear!

Is the official Rumble Pak the best option or are there any battery-less alternatives that are worth getting?

Rumble pack won't work with that adapter as far as I know.

What about the Gamecube Controller to N64 adapter? I've been experimenting because I would like to extend the life of my N64 in the off chance that my OEM controllers go to shit. I definitely cannot afford to import Hori Pads right now, and I'm experimenting with the SuperPad 64 + which I hear is the next best option.

Rich! praises that adapter. I'd trust it. Raph makes good stuff.

Craft

Picked up Shadow man over the weekend and Operation Winback over the weekend which puts me at around 25% of the total PAL library. I currently have:

1080° Snowboarding
Armorines: Project S.W.A.R.M.
Banjo-Kazooie
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
Beetle Adventure Racing!
Blast Corps
Body Harvest
Bomberman 64
Buck Bumble
A Bug's Life
Carmageddon 64
Castlevania
Chameleon Twist
ClayFighter 63 1/3
Command & Conquer
Destruction Derby 64
Donkey Kong 64
Doom 64
Duke Nukem: Zero Hour
Earthworm Jim 3D
Excitebike 64
F-1 World Grand Prix
F-Zero X
FIFA: Road to World Cup 98
Forsaken 64
GoldenEye 007
Hybrid Heaven
Iggy's Reckin' Balls
Jet Force Gemini
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario Kart 64
Mario Tennis
Micro Machines 64 Turbo
Mischief Makers
Perfect Dark
Pilotwings 64
Pokémon Snap
Premier Manager 64
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Resident Evil 2
Roadsters
Shadow Man
Snowboard Kids
South Park
Space Station Silicon Valley
Star Fox 64
Star Wars Episode I: Racer
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Starshot: Space Circus Fever
Super Mario 64
Smash Bros
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
V-Rally Edition '99
Wave Race 64
Wetrix
WinBack
Wipeout 64
The World Is Not Enough
Yoshi's Story

There's probably only 8 more titles that I really want to get:
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
Diddy Kong Racing
Goemon's Great Adventure Mystical Ninja 2: Starring Goemon
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Pokémon Puzzle League
Road Rash 64
Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Star Wars: Episode I: Battle for Naboo

15 Which I'd pick up if I saw them cheap but not really too fussed about:
Blues Brothers 2000
Bomberman Hero
Cruis'n USA
Cruis'n World
Donald Duck's Quack Attack
Duck Dodgers Starring Daffy Duck
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Mickey's Speedway USA
Paper Mario
Quake 64
Quake II
Quest 64 (Holy Magic Century)
Superman

and then 7 more which I already have on other platforms, but would pick up if the price was right for collections sake:
Banjo-Tooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Duke Nukem 64
Killer Instinct Gold
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
StarCraft 64
Worms Armageddon

Any other titles worth a look?

Oh gotcha. I was thinking of N64 games on the Wii VC. They did not have any rumble.
Yeah, I only plan to play Majora's Mask on VC because rumble isn't very important in that game and the version included on Collector's Edition is so bad. OoT kind of needs it for the Stone of Agony though, so I'll be using my Master Quest disc.

Seik

Banned
Hey all, it's been a while! :D

Got some N64 urges lately and started buying new games!

With Super Bomberman R coming I also noticed that I've been sleeping on buying the 64 BM titles...I corrected the mistake last week by buying a boxed version of Bomberman Hero and yesterday, did the same thing with Bomberman 64...Only thing missing now is Second Attack! but this is for another day...

That said, I played a lot of Bomberman Hero during the week-end and wow! It's really fun and filled with content. While it lacks a multiplayer mode, Hudson went all in on the SP content with something around 70 stages to complete. I'm not even halfway and can't wait to progress more!

I went to the flea market yesterday and a guy sold me a DOOM 64 box for 5$, it's in bad shape, but made my day since I wanted it for a good while, same guy sold me the Castlevania 64 box and instruction booklet for 5$ as well, which completed my set.

Also, I've been tinkering with PJ64 2.2 lately, it's surprising how slowly N64 emulation seems to go in all these years...I have the latest Glide64 plugin and there's still a lot of graphical glitches even with it. Hopefully one day we'll have a Higan equivalent, the console deserves it.

NaviLink

Hello all,

I have a question and I have conflicting information about the answer.

I'm based in Europe. I have NTSC consoles, but I don't know how to plug them in safely. Can I use a 220V PAL power supply with a NTSC console, or should I use a 110V power supply with a converter?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Hello all,

I have a question and I have conflicting information about the answer.

I'm based in Europe. I have NTSC consoles, but I don't know how to plug them in safely. Can I use a 220V PAL power supply with a NTSC console, or should I use a 110V power supply with a converter?

You can use a 220v pal power supply.

So I've been experimenting with controller options now that I've started to revisit the N64. A LOT of options are flatout garbage with weird dead zones, inaccuracy, and inputs even when at idle position. Idk what the consensus is on this particular controller but I think I've come across one of the best third-party non-Hori controllers, and it's these guys:

post-16281-0-97494100-1365646656.jpg

Going from my own OEM N64 controllers to this guy showed me just how different the stick feel was for each controller. Now it's obvious to see that while my Atomic purple still had the snappy response, it wasn't the same and had made a lot of grinding sounds (which I assume is a combination of the black plastic and joystick chewing at the bowl). Now compared to the SuperPad64 +, the 64 +'s stick was consistent (thanks to metal base) and after years of use maintains its positioning and accuracy. Even better is that with multiple games I didn't get the weird input problem that plagues a lot of N64 controllers. I also enjoy the modern build that makes it easier to access almost all buttons without moving my hand.

I know a lot of people swear by the Hori Minipad, but if you can't afford it, you really can't go wrong with the SuperPad 64+. And I know OEM is technically the best option, but a lot of people and stores are selling them with terrible analog sticks and I refuse to pay the price (anywhere from 20-45 dollars in Canada) they're going for, for an unreliable stick.

Celine

Picked up Shadow man over the weekend and Operation Winback over the weekend which puts me at around 25% of the total PAL library. I currently have:

There's probably only 8 more titles that I really want to get:

15 Which I'd pick up if I saw them cheap but not really too fussed about:

and then 7 more which I already have on other platforms, but would pick up if the price was right for collections sake:

Any other titles worth a look?
First off, consider Cruis'n World (good conversion with some stuff added) but forget about Cruis'n USA (very very bad port).

Some titles that might be of interested but aren't in your list(s):
Shadowgate 64
Bust a Move 99
San Francisco Rush
Rush 2
San Francisco Rush 2048
Gauntlet Legends

So, I bought an Everdrive V3 for N64 a while back and got around to messing around with it... and it does not boot at all. I am guessing it is something with the CIC chip. I verified I have a NTSC CIC chip, but can anyone open their V3 ED64 and check theirs against my mine? I have a topic over at Krikzz's forum but thought I'd check here too.

dWL4AYx.jpg

Should this solder from one of the joints of the CIC be touching the cap? Sorry for the bad pic, but basically the solder joint and the cap are soldered together, the cap on the left is separated from the solder joint, but the one circled on the right is not. Not sure if this is a problem

So, I bought an Everdrive V3 for N64 a while back and got around to messing around with it... and it does not boot at all. I am guessing it is something with the CIC chip. I verified I have a NTSC CIC chip, but can anyone open their V3 ED64 and check theirs against my mine? I have a topic over at Krikzz's forum but thought I'd check here too.

dWL4AYx.jpg

Should this solder from one of the joints of the CIC be touching the cap? Sorry for the bad pic, but basically the solder joint and the cap are soldered together, the cap on the left is separated from the solder joint, but the one circled on the right is not. Not sure if this is a problem

Even without solder they look to be connected via a trace on both so you should be fine.

What were you tring to do before it broke?

Even without solder they look to be connected via a trace on both so you should be fine.

What were you tring to do before it broke?
Nothing at all, I popped it in and it didn't work-- I get a black screen which would seem to indicate an issue with the CIC chip (if you had a PAL CIC chip installed, or no CIC chip installed). I am 90% sure that I didn't test it back when I bought it a year ago, so I feel stupid not testing it but I didn't figure it'd have any problems. I've tried every bit of troubleshooting I can think of and I'm not sure what to do. I might try buying a CIC chip off of Ali or gut an old sports game, I am not wanting to spend a 160 bucks to get a new one if I don't have to.

televator

dWL4AYx.jpg

Is it too late to return it? I had (presumably) 2 different Mega Everdrives not boot up either. If I recall correctly, I'd just get a screen that changed from green to blue... or vice versa. Ended up returning it/them after having them/it checked out by Krikzz's engineer and scraping the idea of owning one indefinitely.

Before agreeing to a refund, he was sure that it was something I was doing wrong... I can't even imagine what that might have been. I literally tried it on 8 different sytems of different models and revisions with different power supplies to no avail. It's not rocket science. I got the GB Everdrive working without a hitch just plugged the damned thing into my GBP and I was off playing immediately. The MED was a dud as far as I could tell.

I imagine it is too late, I bought it in late 2015. I hope he does the right thing by me, I've spent $1000 in flashcarts from him

And that is crazy about your Mega Everdrive. I just upgraded to the x7 model so I better test that and make sure that it works

How are people's experiences with upscalers and their N64s?

I tested out the basic composite cable on HDTV, and despite my TV processing the signal as 480i, the image looked pretty good. Much better than how PS1 games look on my PS2. I wonder if I can push the envelope to have much better picture quality without breaking the bank.

Timu

How are people's experiences with upscalers and their N64s?

I tested out the basic composite cable on HDTV, and despite my TV processing the signal as 480i, the image looked pretty good. Much better than how PS1 games look on my PS2. I wonder if I can push the envelope to have much better picture quality without breaking the bank.
If you're impressed with composite, svideo and a RGB-HDMI modded N64 would blow you away!

So I've had my Raphnet N64 controller to Gamecube/Wii cable (ADAP-N64-GCWII15) for about a week now, and I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on it.

Build quality of the cable itself is very nice. No complaints here at all. The ports look and feel just like the real deal, and the plastic used for the casing in the middle of the cable is clean. No unsightly sprue marks, or extra flash.

The cable itself does exactly what it advertises. It allows you to use your N64 controller in place of a Gamecube or Classic controller, and it feels great. It works right out of the package, with no configuring needed for Virtual Console or the Gamecube Zelda ports. If you want to play other Gamecube games, you'll probably want to use some of the alternate control mappings that you can access by holding one of the face buttons while plugging in the adapter. As long as the adapter has power, it'll remember your last setting. The Wii still provides power to the controller ports will it's in standby, so no need to reset your settings if you don't unplug the controller.

However, there's one thing I have to nitpick...
I have it. It works well and the analogue stick feels like an N64 controller on N64 hardware.
After extensive back and forths between Ocarina of Time on native N64 hardware, and the adapter on a Wii, I have found that this is not exactly the case. The problem lies not with the adapter, but with how Nintendo has translated the N64 analog stick to the Virtual Console and Gamecube ports of Zelda. You see, the moment you start tilting the analog stick in Ocarina of Time, you have a very gradual increase in speed, starting from a very slow walk, all the way to full on running at just almost full tilt. It bears repeating that this is very gradual, with many varying degrees of movement in between. On the Gamecube and Virtual Console ports, regardless of if you're using the Gamecube or Classic controller, max speed kicks in much earlier than full tilt, and those varying movement speeds between a slow walk and full run are much harder to hit. This probably explains why aiming is so twitchy in these ports. Unfortunately, simply plugging in an adapter to use a different controller won't change how Virtual Console and the Gamecube ports read analog inputs. But, this also means that if you have an N64 controller with some deadzones around the outer edge, that controller will probably be usable again with this adapter. Luckily for me, my OEM grey controller went unloved as a kid because we all opted to use the funtastic and atomic purple controllers instead, so it's in great shape.

Fortunataly, the Raphnet Adapter has a secret weapon. By holding left on the D-Pad while plugging in the adapter, you can toggle a lower sensitivity mode on the analog stick (you can also toggle a higher sensitivity by holding right instead). This makes it much easier to hit those movement speeds in between walking and full running. It also makes the aiming in Zelda far less twitchy. It still feels better on an actual N64, but this a big improvement over the standard analog stick sensitivity. I was able to complete all of the various target practice mini-games in both Zeldas without issue, whereas doing those with a Gamecube controller was headache inducing.

So if you're like me, and don't want to RGB mod your N64, but still want a great looking picture, consider picking up this adapter for those Virtual Console games. Majora's Mask looks great on my Trinitron in 480i with component cables, 640x480 internal resolution does wonders for picture quality, and I can finally play my favorite Zelda again with the original controller, the way it was meant to be played.

Edit: Just tested it out with the Rumble Pak, works like a charm.

I only played the N64 sparingly at friends' when it was new. I bought one a few years ago and a few games. I'm looking to get a serious library built. This is the list of games I own, what else do I need for a good well rounded collection?

Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
Goldeneye 007
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64
Pokémon Stadium
Pokémon Stadium 2
Pokémon Snap

Peagles

I imagine it is too late, I bought it in late 2015. I hope he does the right thing by me, I've spent $1000 in flashcarts from him

And that is crazy about your Mega Everdrive. I just upgraded to the x7 model so I better test that and make sure that it works

Hit him up, I'm pretty sure he'd still help you out.

I've been lucky with my Everdrives so far, thankfully, but on his forums I've seen he is pretty great at product support, even when they're older.

I only played the N64 sparingly at friends' when it was new. I bought one a few years ago and a few games. I'm looking to get a serious library built. This is the list of games I own, what else do I need for a good well rounded collection?

Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Goldeneye 007
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64
Pokémon Stadium
Pokémon Stadium 2
Pokémon Snap

Mischief Makers is a great 2D action platformer I would recommend. One of the greatest N64 exclusives imo.

Hit him up, I'm pretty sure he'd still help you out.

I've been lucky with my Everdrives so far, thankfully, but on his forums I've seen he is pretty great at product support, even when they're older.
I tried emailing him directly at his Gmail but that didn't pan out, nor did a thread on the forums. I did get prompt responses using the warranty form on the site (I think from one of his engineers) if it can be repaired, it will be free. Fingers crossed!
And I agree, he is very good about it but he's probably getting bigger and busier as his business grows. Pretty nice he offers a limited lifetime warranty (if it can be repaired it's free)

Spladam

Started pricing the Everdrive today for the 64, and I have to say I'm kind of shocked at how expensive these things are. Is it just me, or is retro gaming getting more expensive at an accelerated pace compared to the past?

Timu

Started pricing the Everdrive today for the 64, and I have to say I'm kind of shocked at how expensive these things are. Is it just me, or is retro gaming getting more expensive at an accelerated pace compared to the past?
It's not just you! It's definitely more expensive if you go CIB, hell it's still pricey at times on cart alone!

Spladam

It's not just you! It's definitely more expensive if you go CIB, hell it's still pricey at times on cart alone!
Yes, I noticed the same with cart prices, even for common SNES games. I guess enough time has passed where it is now truly boutique, and as more people become archivist/ collectors, the market is following. Just seems to be happening quickly now.

Timu

Yes, I noticed the same with cart prices, even for common SNES games. I guess enough time has passed where it is now truly boutique, and as more people become archivist/ collectors, the market is following. Just seems to be happening quickly now.
SNES is one of the worst dude!

Nostalgia is truly a drug. I wonder if it'll get to the point where people will try shady things like repro carts that look nearly identical until you see its guts. There are some deals to be had (just bought Banjo Kazooie and Tooie for a pretty good price) but yeah shit's getting expensive. There's still so many games I would like to collect but wow I really picked a shitty time to do the N64 (Mario, Zelda OOT and MM are insanely overpriced where I am).

In the everdrive's case, while it is pricy, I feel like the cart pays for itself depending on how many games you dump and add. Not to mention, it's the most consistent thing we have in terms of N64 emulation.

Spladam

I mean for N64 games. I don't know if there are any.
Oh, I see. While there are not many on the market, they are known to exist, but I've never seen one myself. It's much more difficult to fake N64 carts because of the type of EPROM and the compression used on them, as well as Nintendo building in some protection logic. There have been some on Ebay before, and there are known fakes of Pilot Wings 64 and Killer Instinct Gold. Give it time, the Chinese have a black market for everything.

My collection is coming along nicely. Thanks to getting Conkers Bad Fur Day, the Banjo games and Mischief Makers. On top of already having Diddy Kong Racing. All I have left that I really want are the Zelda games and maybe Mario and DK 64.

Did anyone ever buy custom cases for the N64? I've been looking at Retro Game Cases and possibly some DIY options.

They do exist.

EDITED: Had to remove the hyperlink. wasn't sure if it is TOS safe to post a shop/site that sold them. But yeah, google it.

Do they at least make an attempt to differentiate from the regular copies? If not, that's some bullshit. This was one of the reasons why I never bought any secondhand GB, GBC, GBA games.

SKINNER!

Banned
Do they at least make an attempt to differentiate from the regular copies? If not, that's some bullshit. This was one of the reasons why I never bought any secondhand GB, GBC, GBA games.

Well, the listings show stock photos of the carts and there's nothing on the cart labels suggesting that they are repros.

Here are the feedback images I was able to find from fake games purchased and uploaded by buyers. All of these games were sold for around $25 each. Surprisingly, some titles like Paper Mario and Starcraft weren't there. I wonder if it is because they couldn't figure out how to replicate it or couldn't find an actual copy of the game to do so. I dunno how this stuff works.

But yeah, stay safe N64 GAF. This shit is out there just like SNES/GB/NES games.

Worms Armageddon said:

Conker's Bad Fur Day said:

Clay Fighter Sculpture's Cut said:

RoadDogg

I'm on the fence about selling my N64 games. Anyone willing to give me a ball park figure of what they are worth if I tried to sell them in bulk? They are all boxed/complete. I kept a few off I would keep forever like Mario 64 and Zelda.

1080 snowboarding
Army Men Sarges Heroes
Banjo Kazooie
BattleTanx
Beetle Adventure Racing
Blast Corps
Bomberman 64
Buck Bumble
Bust A Move 2
Castlevania
Chameleon Twist
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Cruis'n USA
Cruis'n World
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Doom 64
Duke Nuke Zero Hour
Excitebike 64
FIFA Soccer 64
Forsaken 64
F-Zero X
Glover
Goldeneye
Hexen
Jet Force Gemini
Ken Griffey JR's Slugfest
Killer Instinct Gold
Kirby 64
Major Leage Baseball
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Tennis (Import)
Mission:Impossible
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Mystical Ninja
Nagano Winter Olympics
NBA Hang Time
NFL Blitz
NHL Breakaway 98
No Mercy
Paper Mario
Perfect Dark
Pilotwings 64
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium
Quake II
Shadowgate 64
Snowboard Kids
Snowboard Kids 2
South Park
Star Wars Pod Racer
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Star Fox 64
Super Smash Bros
Tetrisphere
The world is not enough
Top Gear Overdrive
Turok
Turok 2
Vigilante 8
Virtual Pro Wrestling (Import)
Waialae Country Club
War Zone
Wave Rave 64
wayne gretzky's 3d hockey 98
WCW vs NWO
WCW vs NWO Revenge
Wrestlemania 2000

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I cant help you on price, but you should keep us updated if you decide to sell them, im sure many of us would be interested.

Lynd7

I'm on the fence about selling my N64 games. Anyone willing to give me a ball park figure of what they are worth if I tried to sell them in bulk? They are all boxed/complete. I kept a few off I would keep forever like Mario 64 and Zelda.

Nice list, I'd definitely be interested in some, but not as a lot.

Others will chime in, but I'd assume as a lot this could be like $1500-$2000? I could be off, but complete games usually go for a bit these days and you have some great titles in there.

Edit: With the amount of complete games there, over $2000, probably wouldn't be crazy either.

I echo the sentiments of the last two posters, I'm interested in a bunch of them, but wouldn't do all of them together, don't want doubles.

Sadly too busy with Breath of the Wild right now to help you with pricing. :c

Top Bottom