• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

ephemeral

Big thing is that it saves permanently automatically. With the 2.5 you need to hit reset for the saves to persist.

It also has an RTC so you can play Doubutsu no Mori and Pokemon Stadium 2.

Edit: Actually Krikzz has you covered:

I'm still not sure whether the saves are stored on the SD card or if I still need to use a Memory Pak, which one is it? Thanks for the fast reply.

-KRS-

I'm still not sure whether the saves are stored on the SD card or if I still need to use a Memory Pak, which one is it? Thanks for the fast reply.

I think games that use a Memory Pak continue to use that, while games that save to the cart will save it to the SD card. On the 64drive it's possible to back up the Memory Pak saves to the SD card though. Perhaps that's also possible on the Everdrive?

ephemeral

Really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. It's disappointing that I still would need to use a Memory Pak for games that don't save to the cart, that's the one feature I would really pay up for. Maybe in future everdrives?

-KRS-

Really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. It's disappointing that I still would need to use a Memory Pak for games that don't save to the cart, that's the one feature I would really pay up for. Maybe in future everdrives?

It's the games themselves that dictate how saving works. If the game saves to the cartridge it writes to the SRAM part of the Everdrive, which for the game is indistinguishable from a real cartridge. Then the Everdrive proceeds to dump that SRAM to the SD card. But games that save to Memory Pak will obviously write the saves there instead. I'm going to guess that unless they develop hooks that bypasses the game's saving routines to write to the SD card instead, it probably won't happen.

ephemeral

It's the games themselves that dictate how saving works. If the game saves to the cartridge it writes to the SRAM part of the Everdrive, which for the game is indistinguishable from a real cartridge. Then the Everdrive proceeds to dump that SRAM to the SD card. But games that save to Memory Pak will obviously write the saves there instead. I'm going to guess that unless they develop hooks that bypasses the game's saving routines to write to the SD card instead, it probably won't happen.

Sad to hear that but I guess it's a lot harder to work around than one might think. I'll save up money to the HDMI mod instead which seems more useful since I already own the games I want for the N64.

MattyH

I wonder if any one can help me I have a issue with my pal n64 constantly resetting itself when playing a game I've cleaned the carts etc but still persists

-KRS-

I wonder if any one can help me I have a issue with my pal n64 constantly resetting itself when playing a game I've cleaned the carts etc but still persists

Does it play for a while and then resets? That's a pretty common issue with the power bricks not being properly connected in the back due to the design. I also used to get it from time to time but haven't lately luckily. Try to reseat it and see if that helps. I've also read about people putting some folded papers in there as well to help with stability but I've never done that myself.

MattyH

Does it play for a while and then resets? That's a pretty common issue with the power bricks not being properly connected in the back due to the design. I also used to get it from time to time but haven't lately luckily. Try to reseat it and see if that helps. I've also read about people putting some folded papers in there as well to help with stability but I've never done that myself.

some times plays for a while but other times its just reset after reset

Turnbl

Have just spent a good week reading through all of this thread. Good memories. 007 difficulty on Goldeneye remains my gaming high achievement, on my favourite ever game.

Currently my PAL N64 and sad collection of approx 15 games is in storage. I hope to be reunited soon.

The UltraHDMI board looks fantastic, however I'm unsure as to how to go about getting this great mod. I can find 3 main US sites: Retrofixes/VideoGamePerfection/BadAssConsoles but all seem out of stock.

Is there a sure fire way to order this or am I stuck with looking every few weeks - surely there's a better way? I guess the UK has no equivalents? Maybe my only/best option is an eBay import already modded?

AmyS

Diehard GameFan's written description of Pilotwings 64 (especially the highlighted part) is precisely what drove me buy a Japanese system in the middle of '96 before it was released here.

vCzBBXs.jpg

I had also Nintendo 64 a few times at a suburban Chicago area import shop called The Game Club in Arlington Heights, IL. that July. Of course I was blown away by Mario 64, but loved flight sims, even simple ones, and Pilotwings 64 was the first flight game on a console that seemed really smooth. So I ended up spending $600 on a Nintendo 64, Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 before the end of July.

Yeah, this would require some memory pak shaped SD card writer or something. Dumping your save files on the Everdrive should be easy enough though.

I'd just like to warn people here, if they don't know: The Memory Paks on N64 use batteries. They WILL run out of power. Swapping the battery can be done, you saves are lost though, but on the official N64 Meory Paks it requires soldering to loosen the battery and replace.

However third party memory paks, like the "Performance Memory Card" doesn't require anything else but removing some screws to replace the battery. I purchased one a year ago and it works perfectly. In combination with the save dump on the Everdrive and the easy replacing of batteries you can keep those saves safe!

My card:

I've been getting back into my N64, NES & SNES collecting (my credit card company must love me right now) and I forgot how expensive N64 can be. I've been able to snag some great SNES & NES deals by looking around, but everything N64 is still so expensive!

I did just buy Glover for $3 for some reason.

Kalnos

Banned
I've been getting back into my N64, NES & SNES collecting (my credit card company must love me right now) and I forgot how expensive N64 can be. I've been able to snag some great SNES & NES deals by looking around, but everything N64 is still so expensive!

I did just buy Glover for $3 for some reason.

N64 is not expensive compared to the SNES. :p The bigger challenge is avoiding the growing number of reproductions.

Are you collecting loose carts or CIB?

N64 is not expensive compared to the SNES. :p The bigger challenge is avoiding the growing number of reproductions.

Are you collecting loose carts or CIB?

I just find people are more knowledgeable about true value for N64 than SNES (I try to stay off eBay so most of my stuff is bought locally). Obviously SNES is more expensive, but lately it seems I'm able to find some great deals while N64 prices seem like everyone is looking up the highest eBay price.

I also wasn't aware that there were N64 repro carts (shows how out of the loop I am)! Any tips on spotting them?

I'm loose carts for now but buy CIB when I can and will fill out boxes later.

Kalnos

Banned
I just find people are more knowledgeable about true value for N64 than SNES (I try to stay off eBay so most of my stuff is bought locally). Obviously SNES is more expensive, but lately it seems I'm able to find some great deals while N64 prices seem like everyone is looking up the highest eBay price.

I also wasn't aware that there were N64 repro carts (shows how out of the loop I am)! Any tips on spotting them?

The repros are mostly a thing on eBay so you're probably good to go locally. Other than crappy labels and looking at the PCB I have no idea how to tell. I have seen some convincing Mario Party and Conker repros lately... luckily the guy selling them advertised them as such.

The N64 repro's are fairly new in comparison to the other systems which have been around for a long time. Definitely worth keeping a bit on you, especially if you plan on picking up any pricey games.

In my experience finding good condition N64 boxes is extremely difficult. Even though SNES boxes are older they hold up much better due to the better material and all SNES boxes coming with an inner tray, where as N64 uses material that is thinner and a lot of them came without a tray and the cart holder was built into the original box allowing them to crush much easier.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So if I want to start collecting N64 stuff, where do I start? It's by and large my favorite system of all time and I feel like I need it in my life again.

RoadDogg

So if I want to start collecting N64 stuff, where do I start? It's by and large my favorite system of all time and I feel like I need it in my life again.

I am still thinking of selling most of my collection. I can send the list if you are interested. Shipping probably makes it not worthwhile though.

I am still thinking of selling most of my collection. I can send the list if you are interested. Shipping probably makes it not worthwhile though.

I know I am. I'm missing a bunch of games I really want and just haven't had the time to go searching.

Edit: Interested in their list, not selling. Sorry to the people that PMed me. ( ._.)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is an Everdrive an effective way to play all 64 games at complete compatibility at the moment? So I can play games like DK64 or Perfect Dark or oddballs like Aidyn Chronicles while I hunt for reasonably priced carts?

Persona7

Banned
Let's not go crazy. I don't think there are many reproductions of Charlie Blast or Superman 64. Maybe on the expensive.

I got a reproduction goldeneye and fucking wave race. They are prevalent. You can usually tell because the labels are really shitty and glossy though. But some people stick reprinted labels onto legit boards. I like checking any hardware as well because I once got a game console that was having issues due to a botched mod chip attempt.

Is an Everdrive an effective way to play all 64 games at complete compatibility at the moment? So I can play games like DK64 or Perfect Dark or oddballs like Aidyn Chronicles while I hunt for reasonably priced carts?
Yep it's great. Just keep in mind the v2 Everdrive requires you to press the reset button the n64 to save to the cart. I don't think v3 has the same limitation.

I got a reproduction goldeneye and fucking wave race. They are prevalent. You can usually tell because the labels are really shitty and glossy though. But some people stick reprinted labels onto legit boards. I like checking any hardware as well because I once got a game console that was having issues due to a botched mod chip attempt.

Thats terrible. Goldeneye and Wave Race are plentiful. This gonna be like the GBA

Celine

Diehard GameFan's written description of Pilotwings 64 (especially the highlighted part) is precisely what drove me buy a Japanese system in the middle of '96 before it was released here.

vCzBBXs.jpg

I had also Nintendo 64 a few times at a suburban Chicago area import shop called The Game Club in Arlington Heights, IL. that July. Of course I was blown away by Mario 64, but loved flight sims, even simple ones, and Pilotwings 64 was the first flight game on a console that seemed really smooth. So I ended up spending $600 on a Nintendo 64, Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 before the end of July.
People always talk about Mario 64 but near N64 launch there were at least other two games well ahead of time: Pilotwings 64 and Wave Race 64.

Persona7

Banned
Another oddity about repro games is the Nintendo logo on the back is fucked up. The dot on the "i" is also not square like official carts in the ones I've seen.

BTails

FYI. Interesting layout they went with.

Hmm, that actually looks pretty sweet. I've got two N64 controller is pretty good condition currently, but can always use a neat alternative, especially considering "good-stick" controllers are getting harder and harder to source.

All four of my original 64 controllers still have a good analog stick, guess I didn't play much. That controller does look cool though. I watched some reviews of their nes controller and it seems everything about it is prettty good except some issues with the dpad.

Just said it in the retro thread, but the placement of the A and B buttons also worry me. They are the primary buttons and may be too low.

Top Bottom