• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Digital Event available only in English? (No JP version?)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
While updating a few bookmarks, I recognized something peculiar. On both YouTube and Niconico Douga, the information regarding Nintendo's Digital Event which is scheduled to go live on June 11 9 a.m. PT states the following:

※日本語字幕での放送となります。
※事前収録したプレゼンテーションを放映いたします。
※放送はシステム上のトラブル等により予告なく中止する場合があります。あらかじめご­了承ください。
※紹介されるソフトには、年齢制限のあるものが含まれる場合があります。

My Japanese ain't the greatest but as far as I can tell the first line states that the broadcast will be available with Japanese subtitles, and the second line tells it's a pre-recorded broadcast. If I recall correctly, Nintendo didn't provide any Japanese subtitles for the Japanese broadcast last year. I know they provided English subtitles for the Japanese stream on Ustream last year, but that's about it. Unfortunately the broadcast has been removed both from nintendo.co.jp and Nintendo's JP YouTube channel, and the Ustream is now password protected, so it's difficult to extract any information.

For the usual Nintendo Direct broadcasts, there are no subtitles and for the videos that appear later on YouTube none are added (apart from the Pikmin 3 Direct). Therefore, I find it rather strange that the Japanese live stream of the Nintendo Digital Event will suddenly have Japanese subtitles. It could of course be just out of common courtesy to the hearing impaired they have chosen to add this, but more reasonable I would think is that the broadcast will be exclusively in English and therefore Japanese subtitles are more or less mandatory (no offense, but English can be a barrier in Japan). But even that seems strange, considering all previous Nintendo Direct broadcasts, at least all the major ones, have been available in multiple languages.

Now, this isn't anything major and doesn't of course confirm that the broadcast will be available exclusive in English. It could also be a mistranslation on my part (though I think the text is quite clear). Regardless, I thought this could be noteworthy to post due to Mr. Iwata's current medical situation. If this broadcast is indeed only in English, could the reason be that Mr. Iwata simply has contracted laryngitis or perhaps vocal fold cysts or
vocal cord paresis and is unable to communicate verbally in an acceptable, for both viewers and attendees at E3, way and that it makes more sense to feature only English speaking people and provide subtitles? What do you think, Digital Event only in English?

Riki

Wouldn't it make the most sense to just do one broadcast and then subtitle it for other languages?
I mean, the information isn't going to be different for each country, really.

Phazon

I believe some people already pointed that out last week, but yes. It's going to be English only (subs for certain countries) it seems. NoE Directs always had subtitles and and no dubs, so I don't think it will be a problem to do it for this event too.

Which makes me very curious about how NoA handled everything and if they'll change the format.

It's unlike Nintendo Direct though. This means it's not personalized for every region

Well, yeah, I think it make sense that they would drop the "Direct" name given that it's not really "Directed" to the audience in the same fashion as before.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
It's unlike Nintendo Direct though. This means it's not personalized for every region
This is great. I hate it when one stream starts revealing stuff earlier than the others.

Sendou

We still don't know what Digital Event exactly is. Maybe it's live-streamed without live audience? :p I mean that's what Treehouse streams are going to be so who knows.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
First Gorilla Ike. Now this? Feet are being shot.

Yeah, noticed this last week. The E3 Direct last year was in Japanese, but I figured the format of the DE may be different enoughthat dubbing it isn't possible.

Acidyl

This isn't a Direct.

This is their E3 event.

the E3 is in the US. It is supposed to be aimed for NA.

Japanese specific stuff wil be shown at Japanese directs or events.

Chaos17

Wouldn't it make the most sense to just do one broadcast and then subtitle it for other languages?
I mean, the information isn't going to be different for each country, really.

Well, last year, they did announce Yakuza 3 in the Japan Nintendo Direct.
So yes, there is some difference.

Riki

Well, last year, they did announce Yakuza 3 in the Japan Nintendo Direct.
So yes, there is some difference.

Which just means Yakuza 3 will finally see a worldwide release on Nintendo systems!
Also, I think it was 1+2 HD

Riki

Are you simply assuming that based on last year's event? I hope it is closer to 50 minutes. :)

Their longest Direct has been 41 minutes, I believe.
And they only have 1 hour reserved for any stream slot for the Digital Event.
It's doubtful that it will be exactly 1 hour, but it could be closer to 50 minutes.

JoeM86

So now it's confirmed that its a pre-recorded video. Ewww....

Well we have known that since they announced it...

Pre-recorded is better. No mistakes. No awkward waits for applause. No errors in demos. No pointless demos that outstay their welcome. It's the way Microsoft and Sony should go, when speaking to the press and consumers, in my view.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Pre-recorded is better. No mistakes. No awkward waits for applause. No errors in demos. No pointless demos that outstay their welcome. It's the way Microsoft and Sony should go, when speaking to the press and consumers, in my view.

What you just said entirely goes against what a big percentage of people finds most entertaining about E3.

Here's my opinion: I said it a couple of times and I will say it again: it lacks atmosphere and the "magic". It's like christmas with presents (games informations) but without family (audience) and without a christmas tree (stage)

Riki

What you just said entirely goes against what a big percentage of people finds most entertaining about E3.

Most people find clapping the most entertaining part of E3?
That's... depressing...

Here's my opinion: I said it a couple of times and I will say it again: it lacks atmosphere and the "magic". It's like christmas with presents (games informations) but without family (audience) and without a christmas tree (stage)

Gamers are the audience and the internet is the stage.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
That's... depressing...

Not sure how you got that out of my post, but I'll elaborate. The last live Konami conference was an absolutely amazing clusterfuck people still talk about today. Ever since they switched to pre-recorded it's been entirely bland and forgettable. The fact minor and major screw-ups can and often will happen keeps people on edge and inserts an element of soul into these presentations.

Jamix012

It sucks that you feel that way, but I really do appreciate the succinctness of the directs. Generally it means they spend less time introducing random people to present things on stage and declare "unprecedented partnerships."

That's... depressing...

Gamers are the audience and the internet is the stage.

I know you are on a totally different opinion than me, but that's right. Remember, this is E3 magic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0V_Wzxv_X4 a new example.

And this will be totally lost with a pre-recorded video. I really don't like the way they are going I just wish next year they will doing a press conference again.

It sucks that you feel that way, but I really do appreciate the succinctness of the directs. Generally it means they spend less time introducing random people to present things on stage and declare "unprecedented partnerships."

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE directs and I think they are a perfect way to fast deliver informations, but not for E3. E3 is a very special event which should have a big stage and a audience.

Sendou

Not sure how you got that out of my post, but I'll elaborate. The last live Konami conference was an absolutely amazing clusterfuck people still talk about today. Ever since they switched to pre-recorded it's been entirely bland and forgettable. The fact minor and major screw-ups can and often will happen keeps people on edge and inserts an element of soul into these presentations.

I can't believe you just brought up Konami 2010 E3 Presentation as a positive example of live conference. It's quite the opposite actually. Not that I disagree with your point as a whole though.

Riki

Ah yes, the infamous "soul" of conferences.
Personally, I'm here to see games games and more games.
I don't want to see musical acts.
I don't want to hear sales figures.
I don't want to see people awkwardly demonstrate Wonderbook.
I don't want to see people get excited over a company not charging for used games (while sneaking in pay walls).
Those are boring. Those aren't gaming. That is not what E3 is about.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe you just brought up Konami 2010 E3 Presentation as a positive example of live conference. It's quite the opposite actually. Not that I disagree with your point as a whole though.

It was the best of the worst.

JoeM86

You guys say that, and you use the Twilight Princess and Smash Bros Melee reveal reactions as an example, but for those of us at home...we didn't get the vast majority of those reactions until people there uploaded them. It's no different to the roaring applause that people filmed at Nintendo World last year.

So, why is live better?

Seriously, watch the E3 2004 conference. The Twilight Princess cheering isn't there. Half the Miyamoto cheering isn't there.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Ah yes, the infamous "soul" of conferences.
Personally, I'm here to see games games and more games.
I don't want to see musical acts.
I don't want to hear sales figures.
I don't want to see people awkwardly demonstrate Wonderbook.
I don't want to see people get excited over a company not charging for used games (while sneaking in pay walls).
Those are boring. Those aren't gaming. That is not what E3 is about.

All of those sentences start with "I".

Apart from genuinely interesting game announcements, Nils wants to see every out of touch thing a major company thinks will appeal to a crowd and the associated awkwardness that tags along and results in gifs as some needed spice. You can watch whatever pre-recorded video at any time, it's whatever. The live aspect of E3 makes it an event to look forward to.

Apart from genuinely interesting game announcements, Nils wants to see every out of touch thing a major company thinks will appeal to a crowd and the associated awkwardness that tags along and results in gifs as some needed spice. You can watch whatever pre-recorded video at any time, it's whatever. The live aspect of E3 makes it an event to look forward to.

Which is why the Digital Event is live, with reactions happening as the same time as you or I react. It's not as if they just post the video and say there it is, go watch it.

Taker666

Well as long as it's available with subtitles that's the main thing ...as at least people in non-English speaking countries will be able to know what's being said as it's broadcast (which is more than you can say for the live conferences).

The downside is it's unlikely we'll see many indie games on the video. If it's not being tailored specifically for each region they won't want to show games that won't be available in Japan.

Riki

And people will be reacting, live, to the digital event as well.
People all over the world will be.
We'll all see the video at the exact same time.
The only difference is you won't hear people that are paid to be there feign interest in stuff.
And gifs still come out of the Nintendo Videos.
We got a lot from the Mega64 video and the Tomodachi ones just recently.

It just really seems like people that want to hear a crowd cheering over actually seeing games announced are missing the point of E3.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Which is why the Digital Event is live, with reactions happening as the same time as you or I react.

It's not the worst thing ever, but it doesn't scratch the same itch. Too sterile. Like playing in a house where all the corners are rounded.

And people will be reacting, live, to the digital event as well.
People all over the world will be.
We'll all see the video at the exact same time.
The only difference is you won't hear people that are paid to be there feign interest in stuff.

I want those things. I want to see the South Park guys go off script and poke fun at the nonsensical aspect of those things. I want awkwardly out of place special guests like Jamie Kennedy flail around in a place where they're out of their element.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's not the worst thing ever, but it doesn't scratch the same itch. Too sterile. Like playing in a house where all the corners are rounded.

...So, you want to hurt yourself?

Top Bottom