• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

Danielsan

iirc the "definitive" defintive version is that weird JP-only PC release from a decade later or so. just like with RE2.
Wait what?

Still need to pick up and play a version of RE3 at some point. It will probably be the Gamecube version and most likely the PAL version *sad face*, as it's the last of the Gamecube RE games missing in my Gamecube collection.

Deathinitive version of 2 and 3 will always be the original PS1 versions for me.

They changed so little in the DC and GC re-releases that I'm not sure why you'd even care.

TheMoon

Wait what?

Still need to pick up and play a version of RE3 at some point. It will probably be the Gamecube version and most likely the PAL version *sad face*, as it's the last of the Gamecube RE games missing in my Gamecube collection.

The SourceNext releases:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1040104

Deathinitive version of 2 and 3 will always be the original PS1 versions for me.

They changed so little in the DC and GC re-releases that I'm not sure why you'd even care.

Well double the resolution is nice :)

Peltz

Super Smash Bros. Melee. I still prefer it over the sequels, tbqh.

Fuck. Yes.

I also agree with the titles everyone else mentioned. But I'll add 2 more very important omissions: Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2. If you don't have them then you're missing out on the best GCN games.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
So starting a Gamecube collection. Games I've got on my list to get so far:

Metroid Prime 1,2
RE2
Luigis Mansion
Eternal Darkness
Freedom Fighters
Gotcha force
Dk Jungle Beats
Viewtiful Joe
Wave Race Bluestorm
Metal Arms
1080 Avalanche
Timesplitters 2, 3
Lost Kingdoms 1,2
Super Mario Sunshine

-

I have Windwaker LE on the way with OoT and MGS Twin Snakes.

Apart from RE4/Remake are there any other "must haves"?

Baten Kaitos, Killer 7, PN03, Pikmin, Star Fox Assault, and I always recommend Darkened Skye, because it is an rpg about skittles and is dirt cheap.

finley83

Banned
Wait what?

Seriously consider importing NTSC versions of RE2, 3 and CV as the PAL versions aren't optimised. As such the game logic runs 17% slower and just feels worse to play.

finley83

Banned
Really? I don't recall anything weird.

You wouldn't notice if you hadn't played or seen them at full speed, but once you have it's very noticeable. There are a few side by side comparisons on YouTube that show the difference quite well, can't find now as on phone.

There are AR codes to fix the speed on Dolphin, but they don't work on actual hardware unfortunately.

TheMoon

You wouldn't notice if you hadn't played or seen them at full speed, but once you have it's very noticeable. There are a few side by side comparisons on YouTube that show the difference quite well, can't find now as on phone.

There are AR codes to fix the speed on Dolphin, but they don't work on actual hardware unfortunately.

I have the US N64 version. But only played that many many years after the PAL GC port. I should check some time.

Danielsan

So, the results of my crazy Gamecube buying spree last week:

IL5vT6X.jpg

x6cKefD.jpg

7sfVfyZ.jpg

Ic5HY6t.jpg

Cr5XzWD.jpg

F-Zero GX and Skies of Arcadia Legends are US versions (I have a freeloader on the way), the rest is PAL stuff. I also got a third-party RGB scart cable, so I hooked up my actual Gamecube just to test it out. Seems pretty much identical to running the PAL games on the Wii + Component.

Drain You

Aweomse pick ups Danielsan! Not a single bad game in the lot. Gamecube with a freeloader and gameboy player just feels so complete.

Wario World is fun, but it's not as good as Wario Shake It on Wii.

For whatever reason I've ignored Wario games for my entire life. Recently played through the Wario Ware on GBA, can't wait to play everything else.

Peltz

Aweomse pick ups Danielsan! Not a single bad game in the lot. Gamecube with a freeloader and gameboy player just feels so complete.

For whatever reason I've ignored Wario games for my entire life. Recently played through the Wario Ware on GBA, can't wait to play everything else.
Virtual Boy Wario Land is incredible if you have the means to play it. Definitely my favorite Wario game.

IrishNinja

so i have my GC w/component cables going into a D terminal adapter feeding my XRGB, right? but whenever the screen's white, you can see flicker to it. i'm gonna test this on my CRT soon (without the framemeister, natch) but anyone else ever have this issue?

So, the results of my crazy Gamecube buying spree last week:

IL5vT6X.jpg

x6cKefD.jpg

7sfVfyZ.jpg

Ic5HY6t.jpg

Cr5XzWD.jpg

F-Zero GX and Skies of Arcadia Legends are US versions (I have a freeloader on the way), the rest is PAL stuff. I also got a third-party RGB scart cable, so I hooked up my actual Gamecube just to test it out. Seems pretty much identical to running the PAL games on the Wii + Component.
NICE haul! What TV is that?

Danielsan

Thanks! Yeah it feels good. :) Still need to hunt for a GBA player disc though. The GBA player came with the DVD case, but not the actual disc. :(

Luckily I also got this baby in the mail yesterday:
zy9ed3x.jpg

NICE haul! What TV is that?
Thanks. It's a shitty LG LCD screen that I got from my grandma when she upgraded her TV. It's not a great TV, but it functions as a second tv for my legacy consoles in the attic (aka my mancave). I'm hoping to upgrade my living room TV early next year so that I can move my Panasonic Plasma to my gaming room in the attic. I may also look into getting a Sony PVM CRT screen at some point, but I'm not sure that the girlfriend will approve of that.

Hold up! There's an external HDMI dongle coming for GC?!

Yep, and what's incredibly frustrating is, as someone who ordered an install of the internal GC mod from Bad Ass Consoles last year, the only reason I found out about this dongle is by randomly checking the web site and watching a YouTube interview from April.

I get that these are small operations, but customer service is lacking, to say the least. This will be the last time I deal with them.

Thanks! Yeah it feels good. :) Still need to hunt for a GBA player disc though. The GBA player came with the DVD case, but not the actual disc. :(

It's been said many times in this thread but you need to use a homebrew program called GBI instead of the GBP disc. The different is staggering!

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place but I just bought Jedi Outcast for GCN and I'm trying to enable Progressive Scan while playing on my Wii. No menu is coming up when holding B but it doesn't look as crisp as say, Metroid Prime. Anyone know anything?

EDIT: okay I think it just doesn't support progressive scan :/

TheMoon

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place but I just bought Jedi Outcast for GCN and I'm trying to enable Progressive Scan while playing on my Wii. No menu is coming up when holding B but it doesn't look as crisp as say, Metroid Prime. Anyone know anything?

do you even know if it supports it? did you buy a PAL version by any chance?

edit:

I can only find text sources on old forums claiming this supports progressive scan.

sidenote: this is the one and only appropriate place to ask this type of question :D

Does Jedi Outcast have progressive scan ability? Not every game had it, it depended on the game/developer.

Glowsquid

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place but I just bought Jedi Outcast for GCN and I'm trying to enable Progressive Scan while playing on my Wii. No menu is coming up when holding B

It looks like you found your answer already, but it's worth nothing the Wii will automatically bring up the progressive scan prompt for GC games that support it.

do you even know if it supports it? did you buy a PAL version by any chance?

edit:

I can only find text sources on old forums claiming this supports progressive scan.

sidenote: this is the one and only appropriate place to ask this type of question :D

Haha yup this is exactly what I found- bunch of old forums said it did but alas no :/ thanks all!

Timu

Does Jedi Outcast have progressive scan ability? Not every game had it, it depended on the game/developer.
It didn't...that's where Nintendon't comes in as it does 480p for pretty much all Gamecube games, even the ones that didn't support it on the original Gamecube. I was able to play 480i games in 480p on Nintendon't.

Yep, and what's incredibly frustrating is, as someone who ordered an install of the internal GC mod from Bad Ass Consoles last year, the only reason I found out about this dongle is by randomly checking the web site and watching a YouTube interview from April.

I get that these are small operations, but customer service is lacking, to say the least. This will be the last time I deal with them.
Wait, did you get the HDMI mod done? And if so, how is it? Re. customer service, are you saying that you're annoyed that they didn't e-mail you about the external solution?

Wait, did you get the HDMI mod done? And if so, how is it? Re. customer service, are you saying that you're annoyed that they didn't e-mail you about the external solution?

No, the mod never got done - I was still in the queue. And I'm annoyed I've never received updates in this process.

You can see similar complaints in the comments of the YouTube video.

Luckily I also got this baby in the mail yesterday:
zy9ed3x.jpg

Thanks. It's a shitty LG LCD screen that I got from my grandma when she upgraded her TV. It's not a great TV, but it functions as a second tv for my legacy consoles in the attic (aka my mancave). I'm hoping to upgrade my living room TV early next year so that I can move my Panasonic Plasma to my gaming room in the attic. I may also look into getting a Sony PVM CRT screen at some point, but I'm not sure that the girlfriend will approve of that.
midnight blue is such a good color for the GBA

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've got a brand new DOL-101 Spice Orange Gamecube that I'm selling. Being DOL-101, it won't support the component cables, but it's definitely orange *OMIGOD ORANGE* and definitely brand new.

If anyone's interested, shoot me a PM.

I have a Japanese Orange Spice GameCube and I live in the U.K. Apparently I can just use the default PAL power cable to turn the Japanese/NTSC-J GameCube on without blowing up everything. Is that right or so I need a converter/step down adapater? If so, any idea where I can get one?

Peagles

I have a Japanese Orange Spice GameCube and I live in the U.K. Apparently I can just use the default PAL power cable to turn the Japanese/NTSC-J GameCube on without blowing up everything. Is that right or so I need a converter/step down adapater? If so, any idea where I can get one?

That's right. Just use a PAL power cable.

Top Bottom