• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

If he knew the value of them don't feel guilty.

I got my D-terminal cables from someone who clearly didn't know they were valuable so I should feel guilty.

My bargain turned up!

35239175902_36073c29d4_z.jpg

£107 for the GC, component cables (i assume are official as the markings are on them), Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike and a freeloader! Slight snafu in the fact there's no AV cable so I have no audio atm and the controllers triggers are screwed, but that can be rectified for about £20.

Felt guilty buying this especially as the seller knew component cables were rare and even put in his listing they were rare and pricey, but the fact he didnt list them in his title meant most probably overlooked it!

Crystal Chronicles and Wave Race were bought separately for about a tenner.

Amazing pick up. I long for the day I can get component cables or an equivalent mod for my GC so I can finally grab a GBP. In the mean time the WIi will be my gamecube console(except for double dash)

TheMoon

My bargain turned up!

35239175902_36073c29d4_z.jpg

£107 for the GC, component cables (i assume are official as the markings are on them), Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike and a freeloader! Slight snafu in the fact there's no AV cable so I have no audio atm and the controllers triggers are screwed, but that can be rectified for about £20.

Felt guilty buying this especially as the seller knew component cables were rare and even put in his listing they were rare and pricey, but the fact he didnt list them in his title meant most probably overlooked it!

Crystal Chronicles and Wave Race were bought separately for about a tenner.

I hope you have someone to co-op the RS2 campaign with in RS3. So good.

jonno394

Anyone with a PAL copy of PN03, does it support 60hz? I've seen conflicting things online. If not I'll just buy the NTSC version. Thanks.

Edit -

Actually, thinking about it i should probably just buy NTSC games going forward seeing as how i have component cables and PAL games don't support 480p do they?

finley83

Banned
Yeah no PAL games support 480P to my knowledge. I just bought an official RGB SCART cable for my GC as the image quality is way better than composite and there's no real advantage to component with PAL games. (Also no way I'm paying over £150 for a set of cables!)

Cogwheels

Neo Member
Anyone with a PAL copy of PN03, does it support 60hz? I've seen conflicting things online. If not I'll just buy the NTSC version. Thanks.

Edit -

Actually, thinking about it i should probably just buy NTSC games going forward seeing as how i have component cables and PAL games don't support 480p do they?

They don't. Progressive scan is disabled in pretty much every PAL game.

I buy NTSC for that reason (i have component cables)

TheMoon

Edit -

It does not.

PAL games don't support progressive scan. You can sometimes force it with homebrew, though. Some have it hidden away in there. Nothing I know anything about. I buy NTSC for most things unless the price difference is too insane or I don't care.

jonno394

They don't. Progressive scan is disabled in pretty much every PAL game.

I buy NTSC for that reason (i have component cables)

It does not.

PAL games don't support progressive scan. You can sometimes force it with homebrew, though. Some have it hidden away in there. Nothing I know anything about. I buy NTSC for most things unless the price difference is too insane or I don't care.

Thanks guys, looks like NTSC will be the way i go then, for 480p and 60hz.

JDH

Quick question for you Gamecube gurus.

I want to start collecting games, but for now, will stick with my Wii for playing GC games (I'll be looking into a gamecube later when GC Video is widely available) Of course, I'll need a controller, which leads me to my question:

Should I get a classic Gamecube controller or one of the later released varieties by Hori or the Smash Bros. version? Anyone that has tried at least a few of them have any input/suggestions?

Danka!

Quick question for you Gamecube gurus.

I want to start collecting games, but for now, will stick with my Wii for playing GC games (I'll be looking into a gamecube later when GC Video is widely available) Of course, I'll need a controller, which leads me to my question:

Should I get a classic Gamecube controller or one of the later released varieties by Hori or the Smash Bros. version? Anyone that has tried at least a few of them have any input/suggestions?

Danka!

I don't know about the Hori ones, but the Smash Controllers feel exactly like the originals to me. Same weight, buttons, etc. I used it recently to play through RE4 on my Gamecube and it was great to have brand new GC Controllers. I could do without the Smash logo in the middle but that's not a dealbreaker IMO.

TheMoon

There's no reason to hunt down an old one when you can readily find a reasonably priced Smash 4 reissue of it that is brand new. You should prefer them for their longer cords, too. They're not as long as the Wii-generation white JP GCN controllers but close and far longer than the old GCN gen ones.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The Smash 4 GC controller triggers aren't lubed as well (the "catching" actually has nothing to do with the different mechanism), but apart from that they are pretty much the same as the original ones. Can't go wrong with those.

TheMoon

Does anybody know if pal Metroid Prime Trilogy supports progressive scan?

What D.Lo said.

Remember we're talking GameCube here. Wii had progressive scan/480p by default for everything everywhere. Of course there are some exceptions again. Like how some PAL Wii games also don't support 60Hz -______- (looking at you, Little King's Story and MadWorld).

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
What D.Lo said.

Remember we're talking GameCube here. Wii had progressive scan/480p by default for everything everywhere. Of course there are some exceptions again. Like how some PAL Wii games also don't support 60Hz -______- (looking at you, Little King's Story and MadWorld).

Thanks for the info about Metroid! Oh, and I have both those games in pal unplayed, time to sell them I guess.

jonno394

Regarding the GB player. I live in uk, have an ntsc cube with component cables. Now i know GBP hardware itself is. same everywhere but if i get a uk GB player with PAL boot disc, can i still output at 480p or do i need to buy an ntsc boot disc to output in 480p?

Sorry for all the questions, gamecube video output related things are a bloody minefield to me!

Regarding the GB player. I live in uk, have an ntsc cube with component cables. Now i know GBP hardware itself is. same everywhere but if i get a uk GB player with PAL boot disc, can i still output at 480p or do i need to buy an ntsc boot disc to output in 480p?

Sorry for all the questions, gamecube video output related things are a bloody minefield to me!

Dont event worry about the GBP disc, its hot garbage. GBI is the homebrew utility you want to use instead!

Ashhong

Question, I recently found my GameCube but not the memory cards. I really don't want to go unlocking everything in Smash and whatnot. Is there some kind of memory card hack I can buy or something that would work well?

TheMoon

Hey guys, is this the most complete just of 480p/WIdescreen games?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GameCube_games_with_alternate_display_modes

Started playing Viewtiful Joe today (amazing game and i've only beat 2 episodes so far!) and initially my TV must have been outputting 16:9 and I thought the game looked awful, but then I switched it to 4:3 and it looked so much better, obviously because VJ doesn't support widescreen!

It's the only list I keep referring to when buying games myself. All the ones on forums are from over 10 years ago.

They're all weird and definitely not 100%.

edit: wait, that's a different list. oO
edit2: wait it's not a different list, someone reworked the old one since I last checked!

jonno394

It's the only list I keep referring to when buying games myself. All the ones on forums are from over 10 years ago.

They're all weird and definitely not 100%.

Thanks for clarifdication! I'm glad it's not just me then :) I think going forward i'll be going for 95% NTSC collecting just out of ease of use (always 60hz, no hacking, no forcing 480p etc)

TheMoon

Thanks for clarifdication! I'm glad it's not just me then :) I think going forward i'll be going for 95% NTSC collecting just out of ease of use (always 60hz, no hacking, no forcing 480p etc)

It's far easier, yea. Also more expensive on average (fuck eBay and their "we'll randomly assign shipping costs to this incl. import tax so the seller doesn't have to bother but you end up paying way more than necessary lulz" feature that ruined NA imports completely). And god fucking damnit, those used copies from GameStop-likes. What do people do with their games. I dropped a whole chem-lab on some cases trying to clean of store-gunk and price stickers upon price stickers. Yucksville.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
my grandfather gave me his old 480p philips lcd tv
this one

tomorrow I'll get my gamecube, metroid prime, and baten kaitos and play through them again. I hope the picture is good on that tv. sadly I just can't get my hands on a Sony CRT..

now I just need to get my hands on the star wars games again.....;_;

Question, I recently found my GameCube but not the memory cards. I really don't want to go unlocking everything in Smash and whatnot. Is there some kind of memory card hack I can buy or something that would work well?

If you have a hacked wii there's a tool you can use to load saves onto a GC memory card.

jonno394

My first week of pick ups, might have bought too much as no way am I going to play all these any time soon!

34835861863_6ffdb0186f_c.jpg

edit - Kururin Squash is great. Love the presentation and the new mechanics with underwater and punching gloves etc really add to what was an already great puzzle game as well as pretty good boss fights too!

Bring this series back Nintendo!

Danielsan

So, I think the SNES Classic (which I managed to pre-order) somehow inadvertently triggered the idea that I should start rounding out a proper Gamecube collection. Probably due to the fact that I started looking into SNES cartridges online and being shocked that the prices have gone up even more than the last time I got into a SNES collecting craze.

Already picked up Luigi's Mansion, Star Fox Adventures, Viewtiful Joe and Wave Race Blue Storm (sadly in rough condition), and I have Donkey Konga 2 + Bongos, P.N.03, Super Monkey Ball, Warioworld and Wario Ware on the way. Will have to contain myself a bit from now on, already spend way more than I intended.

I've reading up on the Gamecube a bit, only to once again be bummed out to be from the PAL region. It;'s a real shame that the PAL games don't support 480p, on the other hand it saves me from looking into 150 - 200 dollar cables. However, I do wonder how to get the best visual fidelity out of the PAL region games. I'm currently playing them on a Wii with component cables, but I've seen people mentioning the Gamecube RGB Scart cable and I was wondering if that would be a step up or a step down. Ideally I'd like to play on the Cube itself, but not at the cost of visual fidelity. I hope you guys can help me!

finley83

Banned
I've reading up on the Gamecube a bit, only to once again be bummed out to be from the PAL region. It;'s a real shame that the PAL games don't support 480p, on the other hand it saves me from looking into 150 - 200 dollar cables. However, I do wonder how to get the best visual fidelity out of the PAL region games. I'm currently playing them on a Wii with component cables, but I've seen people mentioning the Gamecube RGB Scart cable and I was wondering if that would be a step up or a step down. Ideally I'd like to play on the Cube itself, but not at the cost of visual fidelity. I hope you guys can help me!

Think it's about the same to be honest. However it's probably worth picking up a SCART cable now in case the price goes up in future, as its the best quality output you'll get outside of component or a custom HDMI cable.

D.Lo

I've reading up on the Gamecube a bit, only to once again be bummed out to be from the PAL region. It;'s a real shame that the PAL games don't support 480p, on the other hand it saves me from looking into 150 - 200 dollar cables. However, I do wonder how to get the best visual fidelity out of the PAL region games.
The Gamecube component cable is still great for a PAL machine, it has the best video output of all. Probably not worth the cash still but was definitely worth it back in the day, as most CRTs don't support 480p anyway.

You can use homebrew to force almost all PAL games to 480p too.

Danielsan

Think it's about the same to be honest. However it's probably worth picking up a SCART cable now in case the price goes up in future, as its the best quality output you'll get outside of component or a custom HDMI cable.

The Gamecube component cable is still great for a PAL machine, it has the best video output of all. Probably not worth the cash still but was definitely worth it back in the day, as most CRTs don't support 480p anyway.

You can use homebrew to force almost all PAL games to 480p too.
Yeah, I figured the compontent cable would still be good for PAL in terms of getting the best image quality, but € 150 - € 200 for a cable is taking it a bit too far for me Especially when it's probably just a slight upgrade over the Wii running through component. .The official RGB Scart cable is already really pushing it at € 60.

Will have to look into using homebrew to force PAL games to run in 480p. My Wii does have the homebrew channel, but I haven't looked into that scene in forever.

Danielsan

This might be the last game that i pay premium!

80€
Welcome to the club! I paid € 80 + € 4 shipping last year, so all things considered you got a decent deal.

Man I was going though my Gmail history. Saw that I put up a listing for Path of Radience for € 20 back in 2006. Feels bad man.

Also can't wait to show off my crazy amount of pick-ups. If all goes well everything I've ordered should be in by Thursday.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Welcome to the club! I paid € 80 + € 4 shipping last year, so all things considered you got a decent deal.

Man I was going though my Gmail history. Saw that I put up a listing for Path of Radience for € 20 back in 2006. Feels bad man.

Also can't wait to show off my crazy amount of pick-ups. If all goes well everything I've ordered should be in by Thursday.
I bought two copies of Parh of Radience for $5 each in the early 2010s. That game was pretty old and went for peanuts for years, before it shot up rather recently (last ~5 years or so)

Zushin

So starting a Gamecube collection. Games I've got on my list to get so far:

Metroid Prime 1,2
RE2
Luigis Mansion
Eternal Darkness
Freedom Fighters
Gotcha force
Dk Jungle Beats
Viewtiful Joe
Wave Race Bluestorm
Metal Arms
1080 Avalanche
Timesplitters 2, 3
Lost Kingdoms 1,2
Super Mario Sunshine

-

I have Windwaker LE on the way with OoT and MGS Twin Snakes.

Apart from RE4/Remake are there any other "must haves"?

Danielsan

So starting a Gamecube collection. Games I've got on my list to get so far:

Metroid Prime 1,2
RE2
Luigis Mansion
Eternal Darkness
Freedom Fighters
Gotcha force
Dk Jungle Beats
Viewtiful Joe
Wave Race Bluestorm
Metal Arms
1080 Avalanche
Timesplitters 2, 3
Lost Kingdoms 1,2
Super Mario Sunshine

-

I have Windwaker LE on the way with OoT and MGS Twin Snakes.

Apart from RE4/Remake are there any other "must haves"?
Killer 7, Skies of Arcadia, Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door, Fire Emblem Path of Radience, F-Zero GX, Pikmin 1 and 2.

Killer 7, Skies of Arcadia, Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door, Fire Emblem Path of Radience, F-Zero GX, Pikmin 1 and 2.

-Double Dash unless you'd rather play 8/DX/64
-Zelda: Four Swords Adventures(Costly to get the required pieces to set it up and you need friends to play it with)
-Tales of Symphonia
-Animal Crossing
-Rogue Squadron 2/3
-Soul Calibur 2
-Baten Kaitos(both games)
-Battalion Wars
-Star Fox Adventures

-WWE Day of Reckoning 2(if you like wrestling games)
-Beyond Good and Evil(it has remakes available though)
-Super Monkey Ball 2
-Star Fox Assault(maybe not a must have but I like it quite a bit still)
-Super Mario Strikers

Top Bottom