• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

I've also slept on all the Timesplitter games. Is the GC version significant in some way? I'd rather play it on a console that doesn't have a c-stick.

It's on the Original Xbox, I would think that would be the better version. I played the demo back in the day, but didn't think much of it. If it's, "Goldeneye 2" maybe I should take a second look.

Timu

I liked TS2. Is FP worth playing? I don't think it made it to Gamecube tho.
Dear god yes, it's a great game that's also on Gamecube.

It's on the Original Xbox, I would think that would be the better version. I played the demo back in the day, but didn't think much of it. If it's, "Goldeneye 2" maybe I should take a second look.
Yep, I own them on Xbox as well. And they are great games, you need to play them!

D.Lo

I've also slept on all the Timesplitter games. Is the GC version significant in some way? I'd rather play it on a console that doesn't have a c-stick.
I played every multiplat I could on the GC (as long as it was done well, not a cheapo PS2 port by a C-team like Splinter Cell) because of the Wavebird. It felt so crappy and ancient using wired controllers on the other two after being wireless.

n64coder

I have a Gamecube broadband adapter that I want to test and confirm that it is working. What's the easiest way to test it?

Is there a way I can just turn it on and check some system menu? Or do I need to fire up a game and test it that way?

I don't believe I ever came across one of the broadband adapters during its heyday though I remember getting the Game Boy Player soon after it came out. It would be interesting to test out a broadband adapter if I ever find one.

n64coder

I don't believe I ever came across one of the broadband adapters during its heyday though I remember getting the Game Boy Player soon after it came out.

I was fortunate to get both from Gamestop for something like $1 each. Never was able to find a GC component cable in the wild.

pirata

I was fortunate to get both from Gamestop for something like $1 each. Never was able to find a GC component cable in the wild.

I've only in past few years realized how insanely lucky I was to find my component cable in an EB Games for five bucks when I picked up my Gamecube copy of Twilight Princess. Do we have any idea how many of them were actually made? They only sold them on Nintendo's website and in the store in New York, right?

Peltz

I've only in past few years realized how insanely lucky I was to find my component cable in an EB Games for five bucks when I picked up my Gamecube copy of Twilight Princess. Do we have any idea how many of them were actually made? They only sold them on Nintendo's website and in the store in New York, right?

Edit:
They definitely didn't sell them in normal retailers. Just online afaik. Maybe in the store too, but I think that was mostly a Pokemon thing at the time.

Man we really didn't know what we had back then. I remember looking around GameStops around when the Wii launched thinking no one is going to want this stuff anymore. How little did I know. I also foolishly sold my copies of Pokemon Colosseum and Paper Mario TTYD back in the day XD.

Peagles

Use 5 Gamecubes + 4 GB Players + 5 GCN component cables + 4 GBA to GCN link cables + 5 PVMs like a real man. :p

I think I'm actually close to achieving this...

My stuff is scattered in storage but I think I'm just missing a component cable or two - but as we are PAL I could always use RGB SCART.

Only have 3 PVMs though. Actually how cool would 4 little 9" ones be for this? Hehe.

Although I'm not a man...

Peltz

I think I'm actually close to achieving this...

My stuff is scattered in storage but I think I'm just missing a component cable or two - but as we are PAL I could always use RGB SCART.

Only have 3 PVMs though. Actually how cool would 4 little 9" ones be for this? Hehe.

Although I'm not a man...

The title of "man" is beneath you. You gave birth. You're more man than all of us even if you're short 2 PVMs.

I don't believe I ever came across one of the broadband adapters during its heyday though I remember getting the Game Boy Player soon after it came out. It would be interesting to test out a broadband adapter if I ever find one.

I randomly bought a second GCN with Digital Out on Ebay and it came with a broadband adapter already connected/installed. I never used it though... I should try to set up a GCN LAN party someday. Are they rare?

Edit: looks like it costs more on ebay than the entire lot I bought which included it (0_0)

Craft

Got a pretty decent buy yesterday £40 for everything:

jwLnkte.jpg
Figured that the Wavebird alone was worth around £30, nice to have a few spares of everything else too.

Pokemon Channel even came with an extra game! Is this a normal thing or have the cases been switched around?

Everything was a bit dirty had to give the controllers at wipe down before testing them out, I'll probably just take them apart today and given them a proper clean today.

JDH

So what is the best way to play Gamecube games?

Hacked Wii U, Wii (with original disc or hacked) or Gamecube? I'm speaking video quality here specifically.

Any Gamecube options for SCART for North American consoles?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So what is the best way to play Gamecube games?

Hacked Wii U, Wii (with original disc or hacked) or Gamecube? I'm speaking video quality here specifically.

Any Gamecube options for SCART for North American consoles?

Dolphin, with the official GCN adapter.

After that it probably varies depending on what you are hooking it up to and how much you want to spend. And whether the HDMI mod is an option for you.

Gamecube is better than Wii with either component cables or the HDMI mod, but without those Wii is better due to the availability of component cables (or a good HDMI dongle, but component cables are cheaper). Ideally you are running it to a PVM or through a high quality scaling solution. 480p CRT can also be good but a lot of those have processing you can't disable and input lag comparable to or worse than just plugging it into a modern HDTV. 480i CRT with component input is a more realistic option.

Not totally sure about Wii U. I think the system just doubles the height and width and outputs that with a thin black border around the sides. I doubt it's better than anything except just plugging a Wii/GCN into an HDTV, which is the worst route you could go.

And I'm an American that can't speak for SCART at all and barely know what it is, so no comment on that.

JDH

Dolphin, with the official GCN adapter.

Sorry, I should have specified with "original" hardware. I do have a fairly recent computer build that will handle even Wii U emulation, but am looking a an original hardware solution.

After that it probably varies depending on what you are hooking it up to and how much you want to spend. And whether the HDMI mod is an option for you.

Gamecube is better than Wii with either component cables or the HDMI mod, but without those Wii is better due to the availability of component cables (or a good HDMI dongle, but component cables are cheaper). Ideally you are running it to a PVM or through a high quality scaling solution. 480p CRT can also be good but a lot of those have processing you can't disable and input lag comparable to or worse than just plugging it into a modern HDTV. 480i CRT with component input is a more realistic option.

I would be looking at having either of those options connected to an OSSC, so scaling and processing-wise I assume either option works similar from what you're saying. I've read a little on the HDMI mod, and man it is expensive - yeesh!

Not totally sure about Wii U. I think the system just doubles the height and width and outputs that with a thin black border around the sides. I doubt it's better than anything except just plugging a Wii/GCN into an HDTV, which is the worst route you could go.

I can't seem to get any good comparisons either way with the Wii U running NGC. On Youtube there are a few video comparisons, but the compression doesn't help much with differentiating the finer details.

And I'm an American that can't speak for SCART at all and barely know what it is, so no comment on that.

Fair enough! I'm Canadian, and only really learned about SCART over the past year. It's more for retro consoles Pre-PS2/NCG era, but running it on my PS2 with OSSC scaler looks a tad better than Component with most games.

Thanks for your help! The reason I ask is I bought a Wii U specifically for Wii U and Wii games, but am not against buying a Wii or NCG for Gamecube games.

I just want to ensure I'm making the right choice as I totally missed out on Gamecube growing up, and would love to experience the games and all collect them too! I realize for physical media, my two official options are Wii and Gamecube itself. Probably overthinking this, LOL.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just a heads up, the smash controllers have a different mechanism in the should buttons that tends to stick every once in a while.

Supposedly the mechanical difference is negligible, the newer controllers just aren't lubricated as well and you can do that yourself. At least that's what Kadano says and I'll take his word on GameCube controllers.

1morerobot

How were those RE2, 3 and CV ports? I always regretted not picking those up when they came out. Were they enhanced at all or just straight ports? Can't remember.

TheMoon

How were those RE2, 3 and CV ports? I always regretted not picking those up when they came out. Were they enhanced at all or just straight ports? Can't remember.

we talked about that on the last page.

straight ports with tiny tiny differences. details on previous page. all excellent regardless.

MattyH

well the thrift gods were on my side today picked up the following
Mario Kart :Double Dash (with Zelda disc)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (no cable)
Yu-Gi-Oh! The Falsebound Kingdom
Super Mario Sunshine (players choice no manual)
Day Of Reckoning 2 (already got this but will either give to my brother or sell on)
for the grand total of £40

I had a quick look at some used prices for a couple of my Gamecube games today. Not intending to sell them at all, it was just for shitzen giggles. Needless to say, once my son inherits them, if he decides to sell up he will be quite flush!

Peltz

Youtube algothrhm putting in work. I saw this under related videos and enjoyed it (E3 crowd reaction to Smash Melee reveal)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSOLLpj7N2M

Bill's hair was just... wow.

E3 was way more interesting back then when it wasn't live streamed. Not saying it was better or anything, just more interesting. Suddenly, you got news of all these new products and it was told to you almost like a bedtime story by the enthusiast press.

Now we all experience it live, so it's way more bombastic and glitzy. But those more intimate reveals and the passing on of information gave it a different sort of fun word-of-mouth feeling. Almost like a fairy tale that you knew would eventually come true (as long as nothing got cancelled).

Then you'd go to your friends and share articles about the latest games and read about them together. It was a fun time to be a kid.

TheMoon

Bill's hair was just... wow.

E3 was way more interesting back then when it wasn't live streamed. Not saying it was better or anything, just more interesting. Suddenly, you got news of all these new products and it was told to you almost like a bedtime story by the enthusiast press.

Now we all experience it live, so it's way more bombastic and glitzy. But those more intimate reveals and the passing on of information gave it a different sort of fun word-of-mouth feeling. Almost like a fairy tale that you knew would eventually come true (as long as nothing got cancelled).

Then you'd go to your friends and share articles about the latest games and read about them together. It was a fun time to be a kid.

plus sales graphs. lots and lots of sales graphs.

Seik

Banned
crap! didn't think of that, i guess i'll sell it and get a open copy. it's a waste of money to open.

I'd suggest keeping it sealed for a couple of years and sell it later and buy a second (opened) copy for gameplay.

I don't know your budget though, but with patience you could end up making a profit, FE games tend to gain value.

Top Bottom