• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

pgharavi

Banned
What would you all suggest w/r/t getting my Gamecube + component cables up and running on a 4K TV with only HDMI inputs?

To my knowledge, my Onkyo receiver (HT-R390) does not transcode/convert any video signal from one type to another (though it will do so for audio). So I have to get some manner of convertor, like these?

Link: http://a.co/6rpNQAd
Link: http://a.co/67COoo2

Bendo

What would you all suggest w/r/t getting my Gamecube + component cables up and running on a 4K TV with only HDMI inputs?

To my knowledge, my Onkyo receiver (HT-R390) does not transcode/convert any video signal from one type to another (though it will do so for audio). So I have to get some manner of convertor, like these?

Link: http://a.co/6rpNQAd
Link: http://a.co/67COoo2

Those cheap scalers on Amazon are usually dogshit, and only work in limited scenarios. It may or may not work for your case, but either way I'd expect the quality to be poor.

If I were you I'd sell the component cable and get the GameCube fitted with GCVideo, that way you get native HDMI without any more hassle. You'll probably end up with money to spare too.

Alternatively you can get the OSSC which does proper scaling. It's fairly pricey and there's currently a waiting list, but the quality will be as good as it gets.

Congrats! Its the version of RE3 I have as well, need to get around to play it soon.
thanks Morfeo!
Love RE2 and 3 on gamecube. I bought those ports so quick after the reprinted them.
i guess i'll pick up re2 gamecube.
they had code veronica x on gamecube, is the gamecube the best version of that too?

Well, can you? :D
I believe that may of been me. =)

confirmed!

oh yeah, i remembered you mentioned it and subconsciously triggered an impulse buy yesterday =D
these are not 240p but only 480i i guess?

pgharavi

Banned
Those cheap scalers on Amazon are usually dogshit, and only work in limited scenarios. It may or may not work for your case, but either way I'd expect the quality to be poor.

If I were you I'd sell the component cable and get the GameCube fitted with GCVideo, that way you get native HDMI without any more hassle. You'll probably end up with money to spare too.

Alternatively you can get the OSSC which does proper scaling. It's fairly pricey and there's currently a waiting list, but the quality will be as good as it gets.

Thanks for the thorough advice. Much appreciated.

I feel like selling my Nintendo-brand NGC component cables is a fanboy sin :( :)

Kidding aside (mostly), I think I'm hitting my wall of interest, so to speak. You know it's one of those things where I would love to see my NGC games up on the big TV but I really have no idea how much use I'll get out of it. There's a certain point where I kinda throw up my hands and I'm like...damn, this is too much work. Shame about those cheap scalers being poop.

I do appreciate you giving me a heads up on them, as that's time and money not wasted. Some thinking I need to do. Thanks again.

alf717

i guess i'll pick up re2 gamecube.
they had code veronica x on gamecube, is the gamecube the best version of that too?

I enjoyed the game on GC and ran through the game many years ago. The extra scenes with Wesker are a nice touch but I still have a soft spot for the DC version. I really can't think of anything extra when it comes to the GC version. The digital 360 and PS3 versions added modern lighting but that is all I can really say about those version as I never played them.

confirmed!

oh yeah, i remembered you mentioned it and subconsciously triggered an impulse buy yesterday =D
these are not 240p but only 480i i guess?

I'm pretty sure it runs at 480i but 480P can be forced with home brew. I never tried to run this version of the game in 240P mode. Last night I ran RE3 and then RE2 via Nintendon't and was really impressed with the way it looked and played. Even if played from disc these versions have the best load times as well.

TheMoon

I'm pretty sure it runs at 480i but 480P can be forced with home brew. I never tried to run this version of the game in 240P mode. Last night I ran RE3 and then RE2 via Nintendon't and was really impressed with the way it looked and played. Even if played from disc these versions have the best load times as well.

RE2 is better on N64 though. The item randomizer can make things incredible tense even if you autopilot through everything. :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Have their been any updates on the external HDMI solution? Holding out for that in hopes it's cheaper than the $113 it will be to get the board installed in my GC.

So Zelda Four Swords Adventures is amazing.

I've only ever tried to play it single player before and it was pretty frustrating to have to juggle items and switch characters. Now I finally have a bunch of GBAs and link cables and can actually do multiplayer. We started a 2 player run a few days ago and can't put it down.

It's like a Link to the Past sequel before there was an actual Link to the Past sequel. The combat is really well done, the game often pushes tons of enemies at you in a way that would crush a SNES, the puzzles are pretty clever and had us stumped a few times, and there are some really crazy things.

I really wish I hadn't slept on this game for so long. Even with it being kind of clumsy in single player I wish I had gotten past the 2nd area a long time ago, it's really worth it.

He left out the worst part, which is that the best outputs are separated. The composite, S-video and analog audio outputs are shared; the DVD player and Gamecube both use them.

But the component video out is only for the Gamecube; the DVD player can't use it. And the optical audio out is only for the DVD player; the Gamecube can't use it.

It's a killer flaw, and it basically makes the DVD player worthless, since DVD players capable of component video (including the PS2) were already available when the Q arrived.

The Q is sexy looking as hell, and I'm proud to have one. And I even understand the why of this flaw. But it's still a complete deal-breaker.

Peltz

He left out the worst part, which is that the best outputs are separated. The composite, S-video and analog audio outputs are shared; the DVD player and Gamecube both use them.

But the component video out is only for the Gamecube; the DVD player can't use it. And the optical audio out is only for the DVD player; the Gamecube can't use it.

It's a killer flaw, and it basically makes the DVD player worthless, since DVD players capable of component video (including the PS2) were already available when the Q arrived.

The Q is sexy looking as hell, and I'm proud to have one. And I even understand the why of this flaw. But it's still a complete deal-breaker.

I never knew that. What an odd device.

You know, I remember hearing about this ages ago. It is perplexing that it never came up in the video.

I guess I gotta depend on MLiG for thorough A/V stuff.

The gamecube was the best nintendo console imo.
Sadly I've sold it to get the Wii and I don#t know why but I've waited until yesterday to rebuy some games of my childhood (including gameboy games).

I can play GC games on my Wii so I've bought:

Super Mario Sunshine (best 3D Mario game, yeah come at me)
F-Zero GX (god damn this is expensive but so worth it)
Wave Race Blue Storm (come on, make another one Nintendo)
Rogue Squadron 2 (best Star Wars game ever made)
Beach Spikers

Next:

Mario Kart Double Dash
Eternal Darkness

two controllers and a memory card...oh...and a component cable. I hope the GC games look decent on my HDTV.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The gamecube was the best nintendo console imo.
Sadly I've sold it to get the Wii and I don#t know why but I've waited until yesterday to rebuy some games of my childhood (including gameboy games).

I can play GC games on my Wii so I've bought:

Super Mario Sunshine (best 3D Mario game, yeah come at me)
F-Zero GX (god damn this is expensive but so worth it)
Wave Race Blue Storm (come on, make another one Nintendo)
Rogue Squadron 2 (best Star Wars game ever made)
Beach Spikers

Next:

Mario Kart Double Dash
Eternal Darkness

two controllers and a memory card...oh...and a component cable. I hope the GC games look decent on my HDTV.

You are in for a rude awakening.

Now I wanna know more, lol. I'm thinking about buying a Gamecube again (playing on my Wii at the moment). How do you hook up your GC to your HDTV?

edit: Just bought Eternal Darkness and Timesplitters 2

Now I wanna know more, lol. I'm thinking about buying a Gamecube again (playing on my Wii at the moment). How do you hook up your GC to your HDTV?

If you have a DOL-001, there is a digital video out. The (expensive) official component cables convert it to analog YPbPr for 480p games.

There are some aftermarket mods for HDMI as well.

Peltz

So Zelda Four Swords Adventures is amazing.

I've only ever tried to play it single player before and it was pretty frustrating to have to juggle items and switch characters. Now I finally have a bunch of GBAs and link cables and can actually do multiplayer. We started a 2 player run a few days ago and can't put it down.

It's like a Link to the Past sequel before there was an actual Link to the Past sequel. The combat is really well done, the game often pushes tons of enemies at you in a way that would crush a SNES, the puzzles are pretty clever and had us stumped a few times, and there are some really crazy things.

I really wish I hadn't slept on this game for so long. Even with it being kind of clumsy in single player I wish I had gotten past the 2nd area a long time ago, it's really worth it.

I've been meaning to play this for so many years. It's a pipedream for me.

I have the hardware ready, but I don't own the game yet... there's also the trouble of finding a few people willing to sit down and play it with me. Long coop sessions are hard to organize these days.

I still never beat the bonus LTTP-like level in 4 Swords Anniversary Edition on DSi despite having a DSi XL, 3DS XL, and New 3DS XL with the game downloaded on each. Once I beat the main game I think I broke up with the girl I was seeing who played it with me (lol).

I have the hardware ready, but I don't own the game yet... there's also the trouble of finding a few people willing to sit down and play it with me. Long coop sessions are hard to organize these days.

I still never beat the bonus LTTP-like level in 4 Swords Anniversary Edition on DSi despite having a DSi XL, 3DS XL, and New 3DS XL with the game downloaded on each. Once I beat the main game I think I broke up with the girl I was seeing who played it with me (lol).

I will say that we got really frustrated at the last couple levels. They were way too long, not very well put together, and it we just wanted the game to be over.

It shouldn't be so bad to play in single player I guess?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Some HDTV still have a scart port. Or you can use the RGB ports if they have them.

That's pretty wild because by RE4... the Japanese one was the censored one. Just a few months after that RE3 GCN release, too.

All because of that mid-2000s decapitation incident, I think...

That would explain why RE4 doesn't show the the decapitation. No idea what that incident is.

It's not. Has nothing to do with platforms at all. It's In all Japanese versions because kicking off heads was removed for the Western releases.

http://www.the-horror.com/forums/sh...il-1-2-and-3-Platform-and-Version-Differences
i haven't played it yet but reading it only talks about the psn version.http://www.the-horror.com/forums/sh...on-Differences&p=275262&viewfull=1#post275262
EDIT: ok, i just woke up... the first part of your answer is a bit misleading and not really answering the poster's question but more confusing. My initial post he quoted was talking about a recent game purchase that i took of picture of: clearly talking about the Western release pictured.
Nice pickups! GC RE3 is the only US version that lets you boot the heads off of zombies.
I believe that may of been me. =)
ok, guys let's solve this.
EDIT: you are correct =)
Wait what? Is that true?

If yes, only on the GC ver. or can she do it on DC too?
Edit: ok i found it:
Okay, I checked the Online games Databank for "Biohazard 3: Last Escape" and noticed that all console and PC versions in Europe have been censored. In North America, the Playstation, PC, and the Dreamcast versions are censored but not the Gamecube version. The Japanese version has all consoles uncensored in Japan (Except for the PS3 download versions and SourceNext PC versions ).
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/198459-resident-evil-3-nemesis/62495677
to answer your question: if you're in the West non japanese, gamecube is the only platform where you can kick of zombie's head in RE3 it doesn't work on dreamcast.

TheMoon

i haven't played it yet but reading it only talks about the psn version.http://www.the-horror.com/forums/sh...on-Differences&p=275262&viewfull=1#post275262
EDIT: ok, i just woke up... the first part of your answer is a bit misleading and not really answering the poster's question but more confusing. My initial post he quoted was talking about a recent game purchase that i took of picture of: clearly talking about the Western release pictured.

ok, guys let's solve this.
EDIT: you are correct =)
Edit: ok i found it:to answer your question: if you're in the West non japanese, gamecube is the only platform where you can kick of zombie's head in RE3 it doesn't work on dreamcast.

what a mess lol

capcpom on top of their game since 19XX

This s just appeared in my local CEX. What do GAF?
Cne2Jka.jpg
This didn't ask if it was fully complete but y'know.....it's there.

Craft

This s just appeared in my local CEX. What do GAF?

This didn't ask if it was fully complete but y'know.....it's there.

You'd think for a £100 game they'd wrap it in something so that the case isn't covered in those horrible stickers.
Heck even have it behind glass as the case itself is probably worth a few quid.

Mega

Banned

It's an expensive hassle for sure. For GBAs, four links cables. My nephews and I managed it once recently it but I only have two backlit-modded GBAs and my other two units are unlit. It was a big pain in the ass for the two people stuck with those dark screens (my gf and me).

They asked to play again after a follow-up visit and I just said no and put on something else. I'm not doing that again until I obtain two more backlit GBAs. Maybe AGS-101 SPs if I can get new Li-ion batteries to replace the old ones, rather not spend $200+ for two additional modded GBAs.

Peltz

It's an expensive hassle for sure. For GBAs, four links cables. My nephews and I managed it once recently it but I only have two backlit-modded GBAs and my other two units are unlit. It was a big pain in the ass for the two people stuck with those dark screens (my gf and me).

They asked to play again after a follow-up visit and I just said no and put on something else. I'm not doing that again until I obtain two more backlit GBAs. Maybe AGS-101 SPs if I can get new Li-ion batteries to replace the old ones, rather not spend $200+ for two additional modded GBAs.

Use 5 Gamecubes + 4 GB Players + 5 GCN component cables + 4 GBA to GCN link cables + 5 PVMs like a real man. :p

Persona7

Banned
Are there fake white/smash controllers out there? I am trying to import a few from japan that seem to be the smash controllers.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I liked TS2. Is FP worth playing? I don't think it made it to Gamecube tho.

Future Perfect is on GC.

It's a lot more expensive than TS2 last I checked. I got them a couple years ago dirt cheap in good condition in a lucky ebay listing. Like $12 for "Timesplitters 1 and 2 for Gamecube."

I've also slept on all the Timesplitter games. Is the GC version significant in some way? I'd rather play it on a console that doesn't have a c-stick.

I think FP on Gamecube is the rarest version, apart from that the GC versions aren't really special at all. Xbox is best for both 2 and 3/FP (1 is PS2 exclusive). GC and PS2 are toss-ups as far as I know.

I think there was also an unofficial remaster in the works for PC, no idea what happened to that. Rewind, apparently it's a fan game first, may get the three games' campaigns remade someday.

Mzo

I've also slept on all the Timesplitter games. Is the GC version significant in some way? I'd rather play it on a console that doesn't have a c-stick.

Top Bottom