• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

Persona7

Banned
Has anyone's wavebird controller's analog stick gotten grimey and sticky? I remember all mine being in good shape, now they're discolored and have a sticky feel to them when I take them out... Not sure if it's something with the rubber or what is going on.

My stored controllers had a weird sticky substance even though I cleaned them before storing. I am guessing something to do with the plastic. Same thing happens to PS2 controllers and the sticks get oily.

D.Lo

there's probably some kind of lubricant on them to keep the plastic from grinding like what N64 analogs suffered
Sony analogue sticks were grinding potentiometers with grease on PS1/2. GameCube (and Saturn, DC and most later sticks by everyone) are more sophisticated and use a magnetic field. N64 used LEDs.

But the rubberised plastic on the end of the sticks itself seems to break down, emitting an oily residue. This can happen with certain plastics, they are made from oil after all.

Used gamecubes are creeping up towards MSRP. Crazy, especially considering how ubiquitous Wii's are, which play GC games flawlessly.

Well, retro enthusiasts seem to prefer original hardware if possible.

And I wonder if the fact that Nintendo dropped GC compatibility on later Wiis makes the Cube more desirable?

Which controller are people using to play the GC games on the Wii?

Any Cube controller? My OG Wavebird is still kicking. I've also got one of those Japanese white GC controllers they released to go with the Wii with the extra long controller cord.

n64coder

Any Cube controller? My OG Wavebird is still kicking. I've also got one of those Japanese white GC controllers they released to go with the Wii with the extra long controller cord.

I forgot that I can use the Wavebirds. When I was asking the question, for some reason, I was thinking of a controller that plugs into the Wii controller but I forgot that you have to use the gamecube ports. So the wavebirds are perfect for this.

Over the weekend, the kids/I were playing Mario Party 7 on our cube using the wavebirds. My daughter complained about her controller not responding so I switched it to another wavebird on the same channel but it did not work. Does the wavebird do some sort of "pairing" when the gamecube is first powered up? Has anyone ever tried swapping out a wavebird during the middle of gameplay or is this something that can't be done?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I forgot that I can use the Wavebirds. When I was asking the question, for some reason, I was thinking of a controller that plugs into the Wii controller but I forgot that you have to use the gamecube ports. So the wavebirds are perfect for this.

Over the weekend, the kids/I were playing Mario Party 7 on our cube using the wavebirds. My daughter complained about her controller not responding so I switched it to another wavebird on the same channel but it did not work. Does the wavebird do some sort of "pairing" when the gamecube is first powered up? Has anyone ever tried swapping out a wavebird during the middle of gameplay or is this something that can't be done?

You can change it out at any time. Wavebird has no real complexities, if it's on and the channel is right it should work. If it doesn't, something is wrong with the controller or reciever. Check the batteries.

Used gamecubes are creeping up towards MSRP. Crazy, especially considering how ubiquitous Wii's are, which play GC games flawlessly.

Surprising. I remember feeling a little sad for the Gamecube at how cheap you could get one, like $25 for a decent 001 model in 2015. Several accessories went for a lot more than the console did...but I suppose that may always be the case.

I've switched with the system on. It's relatively easy to roll that dial by accident. Many times I've powered up, find the Wavebird doesn't work, and just check the dial and fix it, on either the controller or the receiver.

Where are gamecubes hitting MSRP? I'm seeing $40CAD online, as low as $20 without cords/controllers.

I still need to pick up an indigo unit to have a complete set... well without getting into special units.

MattyH

2 pick ups today
Zelda The Wind Waker ( with bonus disc) £28
The Legend Of Zelda Collectors edition (without case) £26.60

leroidys

Where are gamecubes hitting MSRP? I'm seeing $40CAD online, as low as $20 without cords/controllers.

I still need to pick up an indigo unit to have a complete set... well without getting into special units.
I'm seeing 50-80 for cube, cords, one controller and shipping.

MattyH

The PAL version I think had a version of OOT and Master Quest.

There's another Zelda collection disc on GC too which has the nes, SNES and 64 games too.

the windwaker is OOT and master quest and the zelda collection disc is Zelda Zelda 2,OOT and MM

I hope it's OK to post this here (I think I posted about this in the B/S/T thread before). I recently sold my gaming collection along with the Gamecube. But I have these three rare/expensive cables left that I can't find a buyer for locally, and I'm feeling a little intimidated by trying to sell on ebay since I've never done it before, so I'm offering them here if anyone is interested. I'll give a big discount on ebay prices if I sell any of them directly to a GAFer.

Component:
32145044566_6ff2cf7356_b.jpg

RGB SCART for NTSC consoles (modified from official component/D-Terminal):

VGA cable (converted from official D-Terminal cable):

PM me if interested. Happy Gamecubing! :)

Persona7

Banned
I wonder if someone found a cache of beach spikers somewhere because I've noticed a lot of sealed copies at lower prices showing up lately.

Theonik

I hope it's OK to post this here (I think I posted about this in the B/S/T thread before). I recently sold my gaming collection along with the Gamecube. But I have these three rare/expensive cables left that I can't find a buyer for locally, and I'm feeling a little intimidated by trying to sell on ebay since I've never done it before, so I'm offering them here if anyone is interested. I'll give a big discount on ebay prices if I sell any of them directly to a GAFer.
How much for the component cables?

pgharavi

Banned
This thread is really triggering my urge to continue my failed Garage Quest to reclaim my NGC.

The good news: console and games found.
the bad news: nintendo component cables, ac adaptor, and controller not found.

MY ACCESSORIES ARE IN ANOTHER CASTLE?

I dunno, should I give it another go?!

pgharavi

Banned
This thread is really triggering my urge to continue my failed Garage Quest to reclaim my NGC.

The good news: console and games found.
the bad news: nintendo component cables, ac adaptor, and controller not found.

MY ACCESSORIES ARE IN ANOTHER CASTLE?

I dunno, should I give it another go?!

Well round two was more successful. Everything but the controller was found. Even the Nintendo brand component cables. No video output though :(

Since the KS8000 has no component input, I'm going through my my receiver. All I get right now is sound. double checked everything so I guess it's time to triple check :\

EDIT: I just realized I'm asking my receiver to take component video from my NGC and output via HDMI to my 4K TV, as if life would would be so easy haha.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
thoughts?
i was thinking of buying the d terminal cable and getting a VGA adapter so i can use my GameCube with a monitor. is that a better route than component?

D.Lo

Future Perfect is technically a better game, especially the single player, but by 2005 the moment had passed in many ways. TS2 was the shit when it was released, FP was just another FPS in 2005.

Man TS2 on Gamecube approached Goldeneye parties in fun. Halo lans were good too but it was nowhere near as fun with only 2-4 players.

Top Bottom