• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

finalflame

Gold Member
Hey guys..I am trying to sell my black mint GameCube w/ the Viper-GC and also some platinum WaveBirds w/ receiver. And quite a few CiB black label games (Pikmin, Luigis Mansion, Animal Crossing, original black wired controllers).

I love my collection and everything is mint, but it's time for me to move on :| If anyone is interested shoot me a PM!

I am also in the process of assembling the Doomsday device that is the Four Swords Adventures hardware (for a 4 player game). I'm at 1 GBA and 4 link cables atm. Hoping to borrow the rest from various friends soon!

My friends and I played 4 swords with 4 Gamecubes, 3 Game Boy Players, 2 TVs, one portable Gamecube screen attachment, and one actual Game Boy Advance.

It was super nerd cool.

My friends and I played 4 swords with 4 Gamecubes, 3 Game Boy Players, 2 TVs, one portable Gamecube screen attachment, and one actual Game Boy Advance.

It was super nerd cool.

lol

Makes me wonder if anyone had the guts to play Wario Ware Twisted or Kirby's Tilt and tumble on the GBP, rotating the whole gamecube system while they played.

Defunkled

Hey guys..I am trying to sell my black mint GameCube w/ the Viper-GC and also some platinum WaveBirds w/ receiver. And quite a few CiB black label games (Pikmin, Luigis Mansion, Animal Crossing, original black wired controllers).

I love my collection and everything is mint, but it's time for me to move on :| If anyone is interested shoot me a PM!

PM sent!

Peagles

It was super nerd cool.

We had a marathon over two nights where we played through the whole game, just one tv though and 4 GBAs. Amazing experience,except when someone thought it was funny to fuck around with getting caught by moblins with torches over and over again and get us sent back to the start.

lol

Makes me wonder if anyone had the guts to play Wario Ware Twisted or Kirby's Tilt and tumble on the GBP, rotating the whole gamecube system while they played.

I played twisted on the GBP, it was good fun, and I got some damn good high scores, I may be drunk as fuck right now but I was sober when I played it. Good times!

God damn it took me so long to write this post without typos, even with autocorrect, fuck,

The Panasonic Q pic reminded me how classy the GameCube logo was

nintendo%20gamecube%2085%20logo.jpg

Hot damn.

IrishNinja

^it really is a sexy logo, and man i wanna play 4 swords like that one day!

The Q has a Game Boy Player of its own, but it's not chrome finished, it's just gray, so I think it looks bad.

ah, id seen it boxed on another forum (where it was crazy expensive) but didn't know it wouldn't match, that's kind've a bummer.

aza

I caved in...paid just a little more than my $100 threshold, but I needed to have a pair of component cables and I couldn't wait any longer. I'm really excited, though, and they should get here next week.

I caved in...paid just a little more than my $100 threshold, but I needed to have a pair of component cables and I couldn't wait any longer. I'm really excited, though, and they should get here next week.

It sucks that they're so expensive (thanks, Nintendo), but enjoy! It's fantastic to have a Cube hooked up that way.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Was surprised to see some different Gamecube games at my used game store for a change. Got Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean.

Jamix012

Was surprised to see some different Gamecube games at my used game store for a change. Got Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean.

If you can appreciate horrendous voice acting and cheesiness in your JRPG, its definitely a good one. Play with a significant other or friend who appreciates such things for bonus enjoyment.

The price of component cables makes me weep. I want then so badly :-/

Are there any unofficial ones or mods that I can do? I've googled but I can't seem to find anything...

Also, are gamecube memory cards region locked?

No, they're not.

Watch out of you got Japanese games though since most of them use a different character set for the game names or something so it will ask you to format the memory card if you got US or EU saves on it. You can have US and EU saves on the same memory card.

I've got a Saurian RGB cable im thinking of selling. Basically its a component cable thats been hacked to provide RGB output for NTSC gamecubes on a Pal TV. This is the best CRT picture possible. Not sure if it has much need now except i've heard it can be reconverted back to a component lead.

finalflame

Gold Member
Yes, I'd love to hear about this.

Also, are gamecube memory cards region locked?

Are there any unofficial ones or mods that I can do? I've googled but I can't seem to find anything...

Nope, the Nintendo cable is the only way. It uses a special decoder chip on the connector itself that was never replicated, and there are no third party alternatives or ways to make it yourself.

If you want a progressive scan signal, you have to dish out the $120+ for the official cable, unfortunately.

KTallguy

Banned
No, they're not.

Watch out of you got Japanese games though since most of them use a different character set for the game names or something so it will ask you to format the memory card if you got US or EU saves on it. You can have US and EU saves on the same memory card.

That is exactly what happened to me. I guess I need one for Japanese games.

Jamix012

Considering most jrpg's in that era had such voice acting and cheese, I'll be fine.

I don't think that's even compareable. Baten Kaitos makes FFX look like the pinnacle of voice acting. I say this as someone who loves both games

The only "alternative" is the D-terminal cable also made by Nintendo. In the past, they got for 20-30$ cheaper (though checking today, they're about the same price unfortunately.) The downside of these cables is that you'd be lucky to find any TVs that support them. If you have an xRGB-mini or a converter for D-terminal to Component, then it's probably the marginally better option.

I feel like collecting GC games. What are some underrated gems?

Bomberman Generation, Bomberman Jetters - (Get generation and if you like it, get jetters)
Baten Kaitos (Both Games, if you only have a passing interesting in JRPGs then at least Origins is still a must play)
Lost Kingdoms 2 (tread carefully with this one, not to everyone's taste for sure)
Ikaruga
Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2
Skies of Arcadia Legends (Not really worth it if you have the DC version though)
Killer7
MGS: Twin Snakes
Billy Hatcher: And the Giant Egg

Watch out of you got Japanese games though since most of them use a different character set for the game names or something so it will ask you to format the memory card if you got US or EU saves on it.

And, of course, this can potentially be an especially nasty event if you're dabbling in Japanese games but can't read Japanese, because the "want to format your card?" prompt message is going to be in Japanese, and you aren't going to know your hai from your iie and know what you're doing until it's too late.

When in doubt, take the card out!

koopas

Someone's mentioned in this thread (and I can secpnd that) but it's my opinion you may be better served finding some official s-video cables for a little cheaper. The jump from composite to svideo is much more apparent then from svideo to component. I don't see a whole lot of difference to tell you the truth(at least when playing in non progressive scan mode).

televator

Someone's mentioned in this thread (and I can secpnd that) but it's my opinion you may be better served finding some official s-video cables for a little cheaper. The jump from composite to svideo is much more apparent then from svideo to component. I don't see a whole lot of difference to tell you the truth(at least when playing in non progressive scan mode).

I totally disagree. 480p by itself is a greater gain than s-vid over composite. That's not even talking about the improvement to color and gama in component over s-vid still.

Rich!

quick question about RGB output on Gamecube (NTSC/USA consoles do not have it, but PAL ones here do).

I have two gamecubes - one is my black launch model with both Digital OUT and Multi Analog Out (it's a bit battered, poor condition now), and the other is a mint condition Platinum console which is the later revision with only Multi Analog Out. They are both PAL.

Now, using a SCART cable the Black console (first revision) works fine and outputs RGB to my XRGB. The Platinum console however does not output any image, only sound. On closer inspection, it's not outputting an RGB signal at all.

Is there any reason for this? Was RGB output removed in the revision along with Digital out?

Jamix012

I totally disagree. 480p by itself is a greater gain than s-vid over composite. That's not even talking about the improvement to color and gama in component over s-vid still.

Gonna disagree strongly with this. As in, yeah going to 480p is significant but for a 480i game the jump is small (but noticeable) from S-video to component. The jump from Composite to S-video, on the other hand, is astronomical.

480i game:
http://sixsidedvideo.com/misc/vidcomp/tos2.html
That one shows Composite. Click S-Video and Component to see the difference.

Edit: My images disappeared? URLs instead I guess?

televator

Gonna disagree strongly with this. As in, yeah going to 480p is significant but for a 480i game the jump is small (but noticeable) from S-video to component.

And when you can force non 480p games into progressive mode, 480i s-video vs. 480i component is moot.

Timu

Gonna disagree strongly with this. As in, yeah going to 480p is significant but for a 480i game the jump is small (but noticeable) from S-video to component. The jump from Composite to S-video, on the other hand, is astronomical.

480i game:
Composite

S-Video

Component

Edit: My images disappeared?
They did, I don't see anything.

Goody

Well, I just got back into GameCube collecting. I really, really love this console. I would argue that it had the best library of exclusives for its time. My current setup is actually a backwards compatible Wii (although I do have an Indigo GameCube waiting for the day I get lucky and find some component cables, but the Wii through component is good enough for me), and one of these bad boys:
I've been extremely lucky in the past month or so in finding games. Before April I had four games (Baten Kaitos, Metal Gear, Mario Kart, and Wave Race), but through lucky finds at thrift stores, pawn shops, flea markets, and some trades and good offers from great users over in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread, my collection has ballooned to a modest 20-something:
There's definitely some choice stuff in there, but I'm baffled at just how much I am missing right still. Dozens. It really smarts how well these games have retained their value. I may have gotten lucky, but my wallet is going to be sore in seeking out the rest of my GC wishlist. I'm not looking forward to the days where I seek out Fire Emblem, Cubivore, and Gotcha Force.

Jamix012

Well, I just got back into GameCube collecting. I really, really love this console. I would argue that it had the best library of exclusives for its time. My current setup is actually a backwards compatible Wii (although I do have an Indigo GameCube waiting for the day I get lucky and find some component cables, but the Wii through component is good enough for me), and one of these bad boys:
I've been extremely lucky in the past month or so in finding games. Before April I had four games (Baten Kaitos, Metal Gear, Mario Kart, and Wave Race), but through lucky finds at thrift stores, pawn shops, flea markets, and some trades and good offers from great users over in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread, my collection has ballooned to a modest 20-something:There's definitely some choice stuff in there, but I'm baffled at just how much I am missing right still. Dozens. It really smarts how well these games have retained their value. I may have gotten lucky, but my wallet is going to be sore in seeking out the rest of my GC wishlist. I'm not looking forward to the days where I seek out Fire Emblem, Cubivore, and Gotcha Force.

Nice collection! If you think Gotcha Force is gonna hurt, try and get a copy of Phantasy Star Online Ep 1 and 2 Plus or Pokemon Box. Obviously both of those are only really games worth the time if you're collecting for the sake of collecting, but they fetch crazy prices too.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad I got a lot of my games when I did, what I didn't buy at release I got pretty decent deals on for the most part. Getting Skies of Arcadia Legends for $25 four years ago or so before the price spiked was great decision.

I don't really get why the Fire Emblem series as a whole is so expensive. It's kind of weird (the incident, not the series).

Also think PSO not-Plus has gone down a little? I got it for about $45 I think, and at the time that was a good deal. Now it doesn't seem all that difficult to find it at that price.

Goody

Nice collection! If you think Gotcha Force is gonna hurt, try and get a copy of Phantasy Star Online Ep 1 and 2 Plus or Pokemon Box. Obviously both of those are only really games worth the time if you're collecting for the sake of collecting, but they fetch crazy prices too.

Ugh, I didn't know about PSO I&II Plus. Unless the upgrades aren't substantive, yep, it's going on the wishlist and I am now crying.

Zalman

I don't really get why the Fire Emblem series as a whole is so expensive. It's kind of weird (the incident, not the series).
Especially here in PAL Land, it's impossible to get Path of Radiance for lower than $100. It's usually even more than that. Ridiculous.

Top Bottom