• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, I didn't know about PSO I&II Plus. Unless the upgrades aren't substantive, yep, it's going on the wishlist and I am now crying.

I don't think it added much (any?) content, but it made some online content available offline. Also fixed some bugs. If you have the broadband adapter and connect to the private server I think you can still access all that online content in the original release.

Peagles

quick question about RGB output on Gamecube (NTSC/USA consoles do not have it, but PAL ones here do).

I have two gamecubes - one is my black launch model with both Digital OUT and Multi Analog Out (it's a bit battered, poor condition now), and the other is a mint condition Platinum console which is the later revision with only Multi Analog Out. They are both PAL.

Now, using a SCART cable the Black console (first revision) works fine and outputs RGB to my XRGB. The Platinum console however does not output any image, only sound. On closer inspection, it's not outputting an RGB signal at all.

Is there any reason for this? Was RGB output removed in the revision along with Digital out?

As far as I know, the analog port remained unchanged, so it should still output RGB.

I've never seen a DOL-101 in real life though, so haven't tested it myself.

Nudull

Banned
KZxH2Sr.jpg

Finally found a good place that was selling Gamecube (and Dreamcast!) stuff. Not much, but it's a start.

Blues1990

Anyone have a Q or experience with one? Cuz this happened today (and I have some questions)

hOsGQeZ.jpg

ZhAxq6D.jpg

You honestly don't know how much I wanted one of these, but given how difficult it is to find one (at a reasonable price), I'm just going to keep nosing on eBay until I find a Panasonic Q for a reasonable price.

Unfortunately, my Spice Nintendo Gamecube & component cable was destroyed (due to a mishap with a neighbours dog), but I was able to salvage the Wavebird controllers & games for it. Now I need a replacement...

Jamix012

I'm glad I got a lot of my games when I did, what I didn't buy at release I got pretty decent deals on for the most part. Getting Skies of Arcadia Legends for $25 four years ago or so before the price spiked was great decision.

I don't really get why the Fire Emblem series as a whole is so expensive. It's kind of weird (the incident, not the series).

Also think PSO not-Plus has gone down a little? I got it for about $45 I think, and at the time that was a good deal. Now it doesn't seem all that difficult to find it at that price.

Fire Emblem is one of those series that didn't make its fanbase straight away, but increased over time. That is to say, the initial release didn't sell gangbusters because the series was still relatively niche, but as time went on the series garnered more and more popularity. So you have a game that sold in fairly small amounts that is demanded by a larger amount of people, increasing the price.
I think a similar thing has happened with the Mega Man series in general.

televator

Substantial, but I'd argue the difference from RCA to S-video is bigger than S-Video to component.

In 480i I can see how that's argued (even though it seasy to tell in those images that s-video looks washed out compared to component), but again even 480i games can be forced into 480p. That does make for an easily perceptible differene in video quality between s-vid and component. So component is worth seeking out.

Goody

Finally found a good place that was selling Gamecube (and Dreamcast!) stuff. Not much, but it's a start.

Great! It's great when you can find a place locally. There are two mom and pop shops here that have a very limited selection of GameCube games, and then there's a couple of more established dirt mall booths, which are very much the same and come with their own set of problems. I've never dealt with more stubborn sellers than flea market vendors who operate game exclusive booths. That said, these are always better than thrift stores and pawn shops, at least as far as selection goes. I hope this place you've found keeps delivering!

Got a new snap of my Gamecube collection. Unfortunately it's now already an old picture. Game's I've acquired after taking the photo are:

Eternal Darkness
Luigi's Mansion
Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Metroid Prime
Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition
V-Rally 3
Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen: Sweet 16 (yes I'm serious don't laugh at the trash :p)

as well as some better copies of Super Mario Sunshine and Super Smash Bros

Sorry about the pic quality took it on my phone.

WCNZxwc.jpg

lkpckJA.jpg

It's finally boot fair season again, and I managed to find a pristine copy of Capcom Vs SNK 2 EO for a fiver.

Not exactly rare, but one I've never seen before (even when it was released), so I was happy to give it a loving new home.

I really need to find a halfway decent Gamecube fight stick.

They might be a little hard to find now but I always used a PS2->GCN controller adapter to use my Hori Real Arcade Pro stick on Gamecube and Wii fighters.

I have a 360 SFIV Fightstick Tournament Edition, but doubt there's anything out there that will allow me to use that.

I might be able to get a mate who's good with a soldering iron to help me build one though.

I have a 360 SFIV Fightstick Tournament Edition, but doubt there's anything out there that will allow me to use that.

I might be able to get a mate who's good with a soldering iron to help me build one though.

I modded my 360 TE back in 2009 or 2010, so this might be a bit outdated nowadays and I'm sure there's newer multi-console mods available, but the Multu-cthulhu dual mod allows GCN support.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Install-an-Gamecube-cable-onto-a-Multi-Cons/

There's a store around 30 miles from me that has tons of Gamecube games for cheap. I have noticed lately that a lot of the good stuff that I used to see frequently (Metal Gear, Mario Sunshine etc) is disappearing.

When I'm not lazy I'll post a pic of my GCN collection. I have around 95 games for it.

koopas

There's a store around 30 miles from me that has tons of Gamecube games for cheap. I have noticed lately that a lot of the good stuff that I used to see frequently (Metal Gear, Mario Sunshine etc) is disappearing.

When I'm not lazy I'll post a pic of my GCN collection. I have around 95 games for it.
Whats considered cheap on the GC front these days? Prices around me have gone to the moon. Smash brothers melee over $100? No thanks

Jamix012

Whats considered cheap on the GC front these days? Prices around me have gone to the moon. Smash brothers melee over $100? No thanks
Not sure this is what you're really asking for, but here's a few cheap gamecube games

The under $20 CIB Gamecube recommendations from me
- Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2
- Sonic Adventure DX
- Battalion Wars
- Odama
- Billy Hatcher
- Sonic Gems/Mega Collection
- Bomberman Generation
- Resident Evil 4, Resi Evil 0
- Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2
- Mario DDR

Probably missing a lot, but all these games offer something. Not all of them are exclusive, but they're worth checking out.

I'd have to look next time I'm there. To be fair I already have most of the major stuff, so I tend to look at the less popular stuff. Could be why the prices seem fair to me.

I would say though a lot of the 3rd party stuff that's supposed to be decent runs around $10. I was eyeballing the PoP trilogy, Batman Begins and Evolution Worlds last time but decided to hold off.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Trying to sell my Gamecube on Craigslist atm. Hoping to use the money I get for the system and games to at least get me a PC case and Power Supply for my first PC build.

NR1

I have been trying to fill-in my GCN collection over the last 6 months, and it really surprises me how much some 3rd party titles go for compared to the Xbox and PS2 versions. Take Cel Damage for example, I can get it for $5 on Xbox and $10 on PS2, but it's $20 on Cube. A very similar situation with the Prince of Persia games too. You would think these multi platform titles would be evenly priced unless there was a very limited run on the Cube, which is the case with the Megaman X Collection.

maxcriden

FWIW I still am trying to sell or trade my copy of WW GCN CIB. Feel free to hit me up via PM if any of you want it, I'll be glad to go below market price. Thanks!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Who the hell is charging $100 for Smash? Some people must be clinically insane.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
People on my local Craigslist want like $60 for it, :(

It cracks me up how collectors will just artificially drive prices up on games that could've been had for a couple dollars in retail, because they're no longer available.
I noticed the same thing with the Gameboy Player. Those things were worthless, but now the prices have been jacked up because they're no longer available at Gamestop.

Ah man, I just eBay'd a copy for about $30, I would've sold it to you for $20 shipped...I'll keep an eye out for you!

Thank you so much :)

It cracks me up how collectors will just artificially drive prices up on games that could've been had for a couple dollars in retail, because they're no longer available.
I noticed the same thing with the Gameboy Player. Those things were worthless, but now the prices have been jacked up because they're no longer available at Gamestop.

I know, its getting pretty bad around here, more and more Im being driven to just stop collecting. BTW I dont even live in a huge city or something, mid size city that its mostly suburbs. Insane.

RexRogers

Neo Member
I feel like the same happened with the wavebird, lol.

The wavebird was originally priced at $34.95 in 2002, so it definitely is unusual that they're back to that price now. At least that's what they go for in eBay auctions pretty consistently. I was able to get a complete one for $25 from a buy-it-now and I feel like I got a good deal.

leroidys

Yeah, I've never seen anything turn from shit to gold quite like gamecube games. Before the Wii came out, I remember getting Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, F-Zero, Killer 7, Sunshine, Animal Crossing, and Jungle Beat for less than $10 each. I got a sealed copy of Paper Mario for $2 (though it was players' choice). I got PoR, Pikmin 2, and Wind Waker for less than $15 each.

The most I ever spent on a gamecube game was $40 for Ikaruga, whose price has plummeted recently.

Mzo

I'm not a collector so I don't care about rarity, etc. I just like good video games. I don't know anything about the game, just that a friend bought it for me years ago when it was first released as a gift and I've never touched it. It's still sealed in its cardboard box.

Is there a compelling gameplay reason to keep Pokémon Box on the GC, or is it strictly a tool to store more pokémon? The most I've ever done in those games is beat the Elite 4 and get the fuck out.

Once I get rid of it the chances of me coming across it again and being able to pick it up is pretty slim. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something that is going to make me regret giving it up at a later time.

I also have no idea what it might be worth these days. People are pretty stupid about buying video games. Has anybody seen a sealed one sell recently?

I'm probably going to end up putting it on Nintendo Age and here in the BST thread for trades or offers. Anyone here that wants it will get first dibs to work something out. Let me know.

maxcriden

I'm not a collector so I don't care about rarity, etc. I just like good video games. I don't know anything about the game, just that a friend bought it for me years ago when it was first released as a gift and I've never touched it. It's still sealed in its cardboard box.

Is there a compelling gameplay reason to keep Pokémon Box on the GC, or is it strictly a tool to store more pokémon? The most I've ever done in those games is beat the Elite 4 and get the fuck out.

Once I get rid of it the chances of me coming across it again and being able to pick it up is pretty slim. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something that is going to make me regret giving it up at a later time.

I also have no idea what it might be worth these days. People are pretty stupid about buying video games. Has anybody seen a sealed one sell recently?

I'm probably going to end up putting it on Nintendo Age and here in the BST thread for trades or offers. Anyone here that wants it will get first dibs to work something out. Let me know.

Looks like the price really varies (these are completed auctions):

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...on+box+gamecube&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

I imagine you'll get quite a bit more for a sealed copy, although I couldn't find any sold sealed copy auctions on there.

Mzo

First place I looked was eBay, but thanks. Couldn't find a sealed one there.

The price varies because a lot of those are at varying levels of completion. It came with an outer cardboard box that includes the game and a link cable, like Zelda: Four Swords. Looks like it also has a special memory card like Animal Crossing.

The Japanese one is so inexpensive, haha.

WE6FE was amazing, but wasn't the PS2 version superior since the game didn't translate as well to the GC controller?

I had no problems with the GC con. also, much shorter load times on GC.
I think completed Ebay auctions are a better indicator. Last three have gone for $100 BIN, $110 BIN, and $200. Still pretty steep.

i saw some used copies in japan for over 5000 yen still. nintendo puzzle collection is similarly high.

curse the people that gave gotcha force a bad score because its "a one button game" and curse me for not buying it anyway.

Magnus

Recovered an old lent copy of Sunshine. Yay! Wonder if it'll play as well as I remember it. Always kind of dug the game.

Shit's become 'spensive the last few years.

zonipoi

Read through the thread, love it!

I bought a few GC games and a Wavebird couple of years ago to play with my Wii. Realized a month ago that it's just too much a hassle to use Wii to play GC games (changing component cables from PS2 to Wii on the TV, syncing of Wiimotes between Wii and Wii U, only having sensor bar hooked to Wii U etc.) so bought an indigo Gamecube with some games.

Can't be arsed to get component cables and all my games are PAL anyway. So is it worth it to get those official Nintendo RGB scart cables? The image quality isn't a huge deal for me and I've been fine playing with composite cables on a 46" HDTV. But if the RGB scart is a clear upgrade I could invest the £40 to get them from eBay.

tl;dr: Is there a significant difference between composite and RGB scart on a 46" HDTV?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
buddy of mine just got into GC & needs a first party controller onna cheap, anyone know of a good option or have an extra?

Man, I was going to suggest one of those official white Gamecube controllers that are all over Amazon, but the price literally doubled in the last couple months.

The fuck, gaming?

Top Bottom