• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

Anth0ny

No Luigi's Mansion?!

C'mon, son!

Others to recommend.

Super Monkey Ball 1/2, before the series went to the crapper, plus Monkey target is one of the best party games ever.
Chibi Robo. Overlooked 1st party gem.

I was going to mention Luigi's Mansion... my first experience with the Gamecube was actually a rental. I wasn't allowed to buy it at launch because... I was 9. So I was going to have to wait until Christmas to own the thing. Fuck that. I rented it from Blockbuster with Luigi's Mansion, and finished the game in about a week. So I never ended up purchasing it :lol

I think I will now just for shits and giggles. I'd also like to compare it to the 3DS game, 12 years later.

Nice hardware! Did they make an orange GB player or is that custom?

Animal Crossing, PSO (unless you prefer it on DC), Star Fox Assault (pretty good game actually, I recommend it), Metroid Prime 2 (just as good as the first), Pokemon XD (though I'm missing it too, not sure how worth it it is...), Viewtiful Joe games (for sure, though maybe you played them on PS2), Baten Kaitoses, Ikaruga, Mega Man Network Transmission (blends battle network and normal 2D MM games), and FE as said.

That's a real orange GB Player imported from Japan ;)

Great list btw, I had a lot of those on my mind. I also always wanted to check out Wario World, the rest of the Capcom Five, and from the import side of things, Battle Stadium D.O.N and Donkey Konga 3 (gotta put these Bongos to use!).

What a great console.

emb

Soul Calibur II was best on Xbox. It had 720p support exclusively on that console.

I'd rather have either of the other exclusive characters over Spawn. Better image quality is always cool, but when it comes down to that vs different content, I'd take the preferred content change any day.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
What an iconic system and era. ;-;

I had to sell a bunch of my collection when I moved to Canada, but I kept the GEMS. I do regret parting ways with F-Zero GX though, not sure what went through my mind at the time.

The multiplayer memories with Super Smash Bros Melee and Double Dash. The sheer ART that was Wind Waker and Metroid Prime. Just to name a few of the ICONIC experiences. Will Nintendo ever slay us like this again? The whole vibe during that era was so fresh and experimental.
Impeccable taste as per.

I can't get rid of any of my GC faves - hanging onto everything. Such an amazing system, and it truly was Nintendo at their best, IMO. GODLY. Metroid Prime (and its soundtrack!) was and still is the absolute high point of my gaming life.

IrishNinja

only GC games i ever traded were X-Men Legends 1 & 2 (i loved em, but i was done and MUA was on its way out) and Mario Sunshine, which is nice but ehhh
still wishing idve picked up PSO and Skies of Arcadia now, i think i was still pretty salty about the DC dying when i saw them on shelves

Just called NAL and the guy doesn't think they have any component cables left, though he's going to check and give me a call back, fingers crossed!

damn, good luck man! itd be nice to see more people get them before they get even more stupid-expensive...my girl bought me mine for my birthday this year, had to hunt around on ebay for a $80 pair

Anth0ny

Soul Calibur II was best on Xbox. It had 720p support exclusively on that console.

soul20calibur20220linxzynu.gif

Dereck

Mario Strikers for the Gamecube was nearly very good.

Mario Strikers for the Wii was a disappointment, I was disappointed with the changes.

Lynd7

Mario Strikers for the Gamecube was nearly very good.

Mario Strikers for the Wii was a disappointment, I was disappointed with the changes.

Yeah same, the Cube version had a better soccer game in it. Plus, it had a tourny mode to play with friends.

televator

Gamecube was the first system I bought with my own money.
It had loooooooooooooong periods of drought where there was nothing new worth getting, but boy oh boy when there was something worth getting, it was REALLY WORTH IT! Metroid, Resident Evil, Metal Gear, Eternal Darkness, Smash Bros., Rogue Leader, Viewtiful Joe,..... Shiiiiiiiet son, this system had a ridiculous concentration of damn near perfect action games!

oatmeal

Banned
Going through Wikipedia...these are the games that I owned at one time or another (bolded are the games I still own):

1080 Avalanche
All Star Baseball 2002
All Star Baseball 2003
All Star Baseball 2004
Animal Crossing
Beyond Good & Evil
Def Jame: Fight for NY
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Donkey Konga
Enter the Matrix
Eternal Darkness
F-Zero GX
FIFA Street
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire
The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Master Quest
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Luigi's Mansion
Madden NFL 2002
Madden NFL 2003
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Bonus Disk
Medal of Honor: Frontline
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Bonus Disk

MVP Baseball 2004
MVP Baseball 2005
NBA Courtside
NBA Street
NFL Street
Nintendo GameCube Preview Disc
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Red Faction II
Resident Evil
Resident Evil Zero
The Simpsons Hit & Run
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Soulcalibur II
Spider-Man
Star Fox Adventures
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Monkey Ball
Super Monkey Ball 2
Tales of Symphonia
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004
TimeSplitters 2
Tom Clancey's Splinter Cell
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4
True Crime: Streets of LA
Turok: Evolution
Viewtiful Joe
Wave Race: Blue Storm

I don't think I've ever had as many games as I did for the GC.

Madao

the only accesories i could never get were the broadband and modem adapters. there was no interest since almost no games supported them back in the day.

i'm glad i got the GC component cables wayyy back in 2002 for $30.

Balb

My favorite part about the GameCube was how fast and smooth the OS and exclusive games are. Really made it seem like a disc-based system with the soul of a cartridge-based system.

IrishNinja

My favorite part about the GameCube was how fast and smooth the OS and exclusive games are. Really made it seem like a disc-based system with the soul of a cartridge-based system.

absolutely this! i also loved the 8-bit looking font for the menu.
it's funny, but every now and then when my PS3 or 360 is forcing a lengthy update, i'll boot up my GC and just love the pick-up-and-play nature of it, like it was the last machine that didn't do shit but play video games.

Reclaimer

Just picked up a complete Four Swords Adventures... Time to gather my test subject friends for the most complex web of GBAs and link cables and the cube... Excited!

kizmah

I remember buying the console but having to wait another week for the release of Eternal Darkness to actually get my first game. Talk about a tease having the console at home but nothing to play on it. The only thing to do was to turn it on once in a while and watch the most amazing logo animation ever in anticipation for Eternal Darkness that turned out to be an astounding game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gO_1tRhY0g

Still got the console tucked away in a storage and the only games I still own are Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime and Wind Waker. Talk about your triforce of godly gaming right there.

Madrin

I loved my GameCube and had no idea until a few years ago that it tends to be looked at as kind of a dud console.

Does anyone else think the GameCube was a bit of an experimental phase for Nintendo? It seemed liked they were really trying out new ideas with their IPs, for better or for worse. Metroid went first-person, Mario incorporated the water pack, Zelda went cel-shaded, Starfox got an action-adventure game, Mario Kart put two players in the same kart, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. I always viewed that way at least.

emb

Going through Wikipedia...these are the games that I owned at one time or another (bolded are the games I still own):
[not bold]
F-Zero GX
Viewtiful Joe
[/not bold]

For shame! :p

absolutely this! i also loved the 8-bit looking font for the menu.
it's funny, but every now and then when my PS3 or 360 is forcing a lengthy update, i'll boot up my GC and just love the pick-up-and-play nature of it, like it was the last machine that didn't do shit but play video games.
For some reason those little discs just make me feel good.

Now we have normal discs and I feel like a lame adult. :|

Yes! The Gamecube was so well done! Last home console I remember that really felt like a game system. It's a shame so much storage space was sacrificed with mini discs, but the form factor made them seem that little bit cooler and more unique.

I remember buying the console but having to wait another week for the release of Eternal Darkness to actually get my first game. Talk about a tease having the console at home but nothing to play on it. The only thing to do was to turn it on once in a while and watch the most amazing logo animation ever in anticipation for Eternal Darkness that turned out to be an astounding game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gO_1tRhY0g

Still got the console tucked away in a storage and the only games I still own are Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime and Wind Waker. Talk about your triforce of godly gaming right there.

I had pretty much the opposite problem. I had to have SSBM the day it came out, but my parents wouldn't give me the system until Christmas day. I was able to play it some on my brother's system, but just staring at the disc unable to play at times was infuriating lol.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I loved my GameCube and had no idea until a few years ago that it tends to be looked at as kind of a dud console.

Does anyone else think the GameCube was a bit of an experimental phase for Nintendo? It seemed liked they were really trying out new ideas with their IPs, for better or for worse. Metroid went first-person, Mario incorporated the water pack, Zelda went cel-shaded, Starfox got an action-adventure game, Mario Kart put two players in the same kart, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. I always viewed that way at least.

It definitely was an experimental phase... though I feel like that could be said about the industry as a whole at that point. Last gen, devs realized that they had the whole 3D thing figured out, so now they could finally run with it. And they did. And it was glorious.

Hiltz

I l just looked inside my bottom dresser drawer and noticed I only have the following games left for GameCube: Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 4, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Killer7, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, F-Zero GX, Blood Rayne, Enter the Matrix and Bloody Roar: Primal Fury.

I traded in Viewtiful Joe 2, Smash Bros Melee, Metroid Prime, Burn Out, Star Wars: Rougue Squadron II: Rogue Leader, Beyond Good & Evil, Soul Calibur 2, Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia: Two Thrones and Super Mario Sunshine. I also traded in my black GC console as well (which I do regret) but still own one standard GC black controller, 1 Wave bird, and 2 memory cards. Some of those games belonged to my brother (Blood roar, Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2, Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia 1-2).

Balb

Everyone with a GameCube needs to play Gotcha Force.

This is one of the few GameCube exclusives I haven't played. I remember seeing it all the time back when it was new, but upon reading your recommendation I looked it up and it's pretty expensive now :(

Lynd7

Does anyone know if the Wii freeloader that came out around the time of SSBB also works on GameCube? I kinda doubt it, but the disk is the same size.

Teknoman

You've got to be kidding me. I saw one of those at goodwill last month. I had no idea what it was or what it's worth

Say what?! Aw man you should have just bought it lol. If Anything you could have just sold it for what you paid if you didnt want it.

On that note, is Eternal Darkness really that good, are there any gc imports of note, and anyone have any not so common / usual recommendations?

oh, finally picked up pikmin 1 for dirt cheap the other day...i cant believe i missed out on that series all this time.

I use my GCN from time-to-time still; having the GameBoy Player on there was the best thing ever. It turns the console into something much, much more grand than just a GameCube.

Say what?! Aw man you should have just bought it lol. If Anything you could have just sold it for what you paid if you didnt want it.

On that note, is Eternal Darkness really that good, are there any gc imports of note, and anyone have any not so common recommendations?

Cubivore.

dokish

Banned
Anyone here a fan of Sonic R? (Sonic Gems). I played this for soooo many hours on Saturn... is worth to pick it up for the GC? Any improvements?

Getting all those emeralds and extra stuff, beating extra characters... fuck... it was goddamn hard.

HOLY SHIT that comparison shot. Such a shame the games are so expensive. RE4 on that...

Lynd7

Anyone here a fan of Sonic R? (Sonic Gems). I played this for soooo many hours on Saturn... is worth to pick it up for the GC? Any improvements?

Getting all those emeralds and extra stuff, beating extra characters... fuck... it was goddamn hard.

HOLY SHIT that comparison shot. Such a shame the games are so expensive. RE4 on that...

I ended up having fun with it. Not many tracks though...

I don't think it was really changed for the Gems release, but I can relate. As a kid I sunk many hours into Sonic R (on PC with a keyboard no less!)

Also, I must find a copy of Gotcha Force. I remember being super interested in it for its customisable mechs, but never saw a copy locally.

Jamix012

Short question:
Could you play the Wii version of this with the gamepad on WiiU or does it need a Wiimote?

This is Resident Evil 1, there was no Wii Version of REmake. If you're talking about Resident Evil 4 I'm fairly certain you have to use the Wii mote.

The GameCube version is based on the PC release. Here's a list of differences:

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_R#Differences_between_versions

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person who likes Sonic R. I still play it on my Saturn every once in a while. I 100%'d the heck out of it years ago. Love it.

Mr. F

Banned
Thinking back I didn't have a ton of games for this system, but between trading/loaning between friends, playing at other's houses, and renting games I got a lot of mileage out of my cube. Some of my fondest gaming memories to this day.

Hoping to flesh out my collection with the 'essentials' as time goes on.

Anth0ny

I remember playing Sonic R for the first time, getting addicted and 100%ing it in one day. Super Sonic is insane in that game, lol.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
my gc collection isnt big but its got pretty much all the best games
gccollection_zpse026a4f0.jpg

Phantasy Star online Ep 1&2
Animal Crossing
Eternal Darkness
P.N.03
Resident evil
Bomberman Generation
Rouge Squadron 2
Rouge Squadron 3
Cubivore
Resident Evil Zero
Wario Ware, Inc.
F-Zero GX
Bomberman Jetters
Billy Hatcher
Custom Robo
Resident Evil 4
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes
Killer 7
Viewtiful Joe 2
luigi's Mansion
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Metroid Prime
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Chibi-Robo
Super Mario Sunshine
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

edit:Forgot Odama, Zelda: Four Swords Adventure

Linkhero1

I own three of these babies. One of the best consoles I've ever owned. I spent so many hours with it. I'll take a picture of my collection later.

Such a solid software lineup even without a lot of third party games.

Seik

Banned
Damn, you guys and all your Panasonic Qs! D:

I'm tempted to buy one soon. It's like the ultimate GameCube.

Any ideas of a cheap way to get a new 2-disc GameCube game case? My copy of RE4 Collector's got broken internally when I lent it to a friend (never again <_<) and I want to transplant it into a new case. Only problem is, I can't think of any 2-disc games that won't be hideously expensive in their own right.
Part of me is thinking of just buying a second RE4 CE but that seems stupid <_<

Kainazzo

Gamecube was the first (and only) console I bought on launch day. Was pretty easy to get; I was the only one in line for it! I largely neglected it (and the whole generation) because 480i hurts my eyes after a while, but I'd never sell the few great games I did buy. All 4 of em'! I don't even want to imagine what I've missed; Skies of Arcadia Legends, Tales of Symphonia, Twilight Princess, and Melee will have to tide me over for the present lifetime.

A local retro store was doing a huge clearance about ~3 years ago, and I picked up the Japanese indigo GBA Player, component cables, and Ethernet modem for next to nothing. Sad I skipped the new-in-box emerald controller for $20, I didn't know it was worth anything >_<.

One other question, are there *actually* issues with the Memory Card 1019?
Over on Reddit they tried to convince me that the 1019 had 'widely known' problems that I'd never heard about (aside from some older games not expecting such a large card), but I'd like GAF's knowledge. I trust you guys over Reddit >_>

Seik

Banned
One other question, are there *actually* issues with the Memory Card 1019?
Over on Reddit they tried to convince me that the 1019 had 'widely known' problems that I'd never heard about (aside from some older games not expecting such a large card), but I'd like GAF's knowledge. I trust you guys over Reddit >_>

I have one and so far had no problems with it.

BUT, I didn't test many games with it yet. Only have some Zelda saves, DBZ and Sonic Adventure DX. It's an official card so I though it would be fine, never heard about those problems. Are those you're talking about third parties?

Top Bottom